PDA

View Full Version : Best way to avoid tangles when going to a concert?

Becky9679
July 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
I go to quite a lot of concerts and when I go I tend to have my hair loose. I dance and thrash about quite a lot and my hair gets horribly tangled (I'm very prone to tangles just from wearing it down in everyday life, this is 10 times worse!). Also if there's a bit of a crush (which there often is as I generally try to get near the front so I have people pushing behind me) my hair will get pulled, trapped between peoples bodies and sometimes caught on other people. Invariably by the time the gig is over my hair will have become one massive dreadlock and no matter how careful I am with detangling I get some breakage.

This problem is only going to get worse as my hair gets longer and I'm racking my brains trying to think of a way to avoid it. The solution is probably some kind of updo but I'm not sure anything would stay up for long in that kind of environment. I'm also considering cornrows but they'd be a pain in the ass to do before every show.

Does anyone have any ideas for concert friendly hair? Or failing that any tips for the best way to comb out this level of tangling?

Regan
July 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM
a tight, single french braid might work. I know you said you get trapped between bodies n stuff, but I don't think an APL french braid would be long enough to make that too much of an issue.
As for detangling - If you're in the UK, maybe you could pick up a tangle teezer? I've had great results with that.

Dragon
July 1st, 2011, 01:39 AM
For the tangles, maybe a very silppery coney conditioner might help a little to help the tangles slide out. Some are that slippery that it warns you to be carefull if it gets on the floor. Or if you detangle in the shower, a coney conditioner like dove.

CaityBear
July 1st, 2011, 01:45 AM
Ugh...I remember the one concert...my boyfriend and I got pushed towards the front...I ended up being crushed (I'm only 5 feet tall). I had two guys literally throwing punches at each other over my head...anyway...my hair was a hot mess after that. And I was so sweaty I couldn't do anything with it without it getting stuck to me. :( That was a disaster...

Anyway...no advice really. Maybe a a braid would work?

Anje
July 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
Braids, even just one or two, would definitely help prevent tangles.

If you absolutely must have it loose, you might want to get a silicone serum and apply it before the concert. That should give you more slip and will help your hair detangle more easily. (My hair's not completely fond of the stuff, and it causes some dryness and single-hair knots for me. But I suspect my reaction is generally atypical.)

lesbia
July 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I suggest a side braid. Or two side braids. You can take it/them under control because not on your back! and if it accidentally loose you can re-braid it without problems!

Zesty
July 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM
If your hair was longer I would suggest hair taping. But with APL, maybe you could do a french braid and then fold it up against the back of your head and clip it there with your holds-like-a-rock hair clip of choice? Or even wear some sort of hat (a beanie, maybe, even though that would be totally unglamorous) and tuck the end of the braid under that.

ashamanjababu
July 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM
When I used to go to a lot of concerts I often had a friend put my hair in lots of little braids (30-50, maybe?). That way you don't get the tangles but you can still shake and whip your hair around and have fun with it. And headbang, if you're into that.

Becky9679
July 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
If your hair was longer I would suggest hair taping

I live for the day when my hair is long enough for taping, I'm already mentally window shopping for differnt kinds of ribbon to use and colour-coordinate with outfits!

Thank you for all the suggestions, I've been cone free since my early teens (totally by accident, I used nothing but Lush products and never realised they're all cone free) so I've no idea how my hair would react to coney conditioner or serum.

Looks like braids might be the way to go!

Oh, and I bought a tangle teezer today. Been meaning to get one for a while and this issue decided me ;)

boudica
July 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Crowds - sea of armpits.

(I'm 5' 2")

I do two cornrows down the sides - one per side, and then up in the back. The cornrows on the sides prevents breakage in case the sides get rubbed and it keeps the new growth behaving. (I have a lot of new growth for some reason and at the end of a concert, if I don't tame the sides I look like I should be committed.

I used to do a braid, but it kept getting smushed between other people. If I wind up moshing, it's good to have up.

It doesn't have to look like a ballerina do. You can get funky with your hair up.

skyblue
July 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
You can use a child's detangler or even some conditioner apply and carefully comb out
when my hair is really bad thats what I do and it dries fine and hair looks good ;)

BroadwayBeauty
July 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
You can use a child's detangler

I love that :) I bought a detangler for kids that I used to use like 15 years ago, and it was wonderful :cheese:

I'd second what everyone's said about braids. I got to a lot of outdoor concerts (admittedly, more Mumford & Sons style than rock), and I always but in some kind of oil/leave-in/serum while it's wet, comb it through, and through it in a quick fishtail braid. It still looks great, but I pull it over my shoulder and no one messes with it :) It's also great for when it rains or gets real humid. Everyone else's hair looks like a mess but yours will still be looking great!

vanity_acefake
July 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Two French braids with some cute bobbles at the ends.
Funky yet out of harms way.

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Definitely braids. I like doing one above the other (as many as 7) going down the middle of my head like a mohawk. Bystanders watch out when those things get whipping!

feralnature
July 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
Braids are my answer too.

Slather coconut oil in your tangles before combing them out with a widetooth comb. Or slather them with condish and comb.

Becky9679
July 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Definitely braids. I like doing one above the other (as many as 7) going down the middle of my head like a mohawk. Bystanders watch out when those things get whipping!

Oh my god, that's such a cool idea! I will definitely have to give that a go :cheese:

umbrellabones
July 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'd go with braid(s). I'm not going to wear my hair down to shows anymore either. Especially after the last time when I cam home to find gum in it!!!

catholicteacher
July 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM
I agree with the hatchet of braids effect for concerts. That would be an excellent way to refuse to let your hair make you vulnerable at the shows. Your hair looks long enough to even use them a bit aggressively if needs be.

Another option is to use one or more tight french or dutch braids to make funky shapes across your head.