PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil Won't Leave!

GoatLady
June 30th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I need some help. Just a few short days ago my hair was lovely and I thought I'd finally got things sorted out as far as caring for it. It was soft and silky. I finally understood about "finger combing". I could glide my fingers through effortlessly. What a difference between then....and now. I decided to do a deep conditioning using olive oil. I applied it (apparently too liberally) and put a shower cap over it for 30 minutes. Then I shampooed and used a vinegar rinse. My hair was still an oil slick. So today I repeated the process of shampoo and vinegar rince. I still have really oily hair on top, and my ends are crunchy from too much vinegar rinsing. HELP! :justy:

How in the heck do I get this oil out??? I have read that conditioner breaks up the oil, but I can't leave it on very long as my scalp is sensitive to it. Right now I'd smear just about anything on my head if I thought it would fix this mess. My poor ends are fried. :cry:

Heartwillfollow
June 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I do the olive oil deep treatments and found that a shampoo doesn't get the excess oil out.. Doing a conditioner soak disolves the excess olive oil better then shampoo.. I use Suave Coconut.. And what is scary is I was doing some roofing and got tar all over me , nothing seemed to help get it off .. So I grabbed the suave and it disolved it so it would wash way with water.. don't have an answer for that, but it was interesting to wonder what is in it to have such an effect.. ..

GoatLady
June 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I do the olive oil deep treatments and found that a shampoo doesn't get the excess oil out.. Doing a conditioner soak disolves the excess olive oil better then shampoo.. I use Suave Coconut.. And what is scary is I was doing some roofing and got tar all over me , nothing seemed to help get it off .. So I grabbed the suave and it disolved it so it would wash way with water.. don't have an answer for that, but it was interesting to wonder what is in it to have such an effect.. ..

I'll have to try the conditioner thing in the morning. That's gonna upset my scalp, but I have to get this oil off here. And I don't think I'll be putting olive oil on my scalp anymore. The whole point was to condition my ends, and now they are toast. Wah!

Dreamspell
June 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM
The only thing that I don't like very much about oil treatment is getting them out :mad:
Sometimes I have to be so rough with my hair from getting the oil out that I wonder if it's even worth it in the first place. However, I completely agree with the conditioner, I have found that it can work if you saturate your hair with it and leave it in for a bit, then rinse and repeat until the oil is all gone. I don't really like that method though, because my scalp hates conditioner as well (it causes me to shed). Since I've taken up using shampoo bars I find that lathering up 2 or 3 times can take most of the oil out. A very gentle shampoo can sometimes do the trick as well. Good luck :)

GRU
July 1st, 2011, 12:35 AM
Another vote for CO-washing.

beccababesx
July 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM
Yep, conditioner gets oil out like shampoo can't. Keep the conditioner on for 20 minutes.

UltraBella
July 1st, 2011, 01:23 AM
My Garnier Triple Nutrition shampoo breaks down EVOO on my hair super quick. Like within 3 minutes. Rinse and done. Yay !

CaityBear
July 1st, 2011, 01:48 AM
Conditioner will be the only way to get it out without undoing all the good the oil did.

This is my method...

Apply conditioner liberally to head. Stick under shower cap for however long I want. (I usually like half an hour but it can be done in a few minute) then when you wash it out, first just add a bit of water, massage really good, add a bit more water, massage some more. Repeat until the conditioner is all out of your hair. For good measure, if you want, fill an empty conditioner bottle with 1/4 conditioner and the rest water, shake, pour over head, massage, rinse.

That's the only way I get oil out. And I can tell if I don't massage it enough. If I just put conditioner in then rinse out it doesn't get the oil out. I have to add a bit of water and massage it really good to get the oil out.

Gulbahar
July 1st, 2011, 01:52 AM
Try an egg mask if your scalp doesn't like conditioner. It used to work extremely well for me!

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM
I found the same thing the first few times I used oils. I have rinse well with warm water in the shower then applied a light conditioner while I finish my shower. I wet hair and massage scalp well then rinse well. After this, I add a heavy coditioner to my ends and shampoo to my scalp. Later and massage scalp well working it through to the ends if they seem to oily. Then after a good rinse I condition all over again, rinse well, and apply a few tiny droplets of grapeseed oil to my ends while still wet. Its almost too much work but I like the ritual of hair oiling more than the end results :D

KellieKay
July 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
what works for me is to put the shampoo on my hair before wetting it. That way it cuts the oil.

11eleven
July 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Personally I don't mind if oil is left in my hair after I shampoo. I wear my hair up all the time anyways so I figure it will just continue to condition.

selderon
July 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
I use Garnier Length & Strength shampoo. No trouble getting EVOO out. Just dilute 1 T shampoo in 4 oz water, shake and apply to scalp, length and ends. Rake through hair quickly and rinse.

khan
July 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Just a thought; I haven't tried it - what about a dry shampoo? Something that will absorb/suck up the oil on your scalp? Maybe then you can wash or CO as usual.

I've been using Castor Oil on my scalp which is tough to get out. After I let it sit for a few hours or overnight/ I then do a SMT. Works well for me. My scalp isn't overtly sensitive tho.

skyblue
July 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
I do a weekly deep oil, I use conditioner first on scalp and length scrub rinse then a dab of shampoo on my scalp only that gets all the oil right out, I know I over did it once and had to repeat the process lol if your ends are crunchy you might want to shampoo them as well you might have some build up
since the conditioner is bad for you, you could try some baking soda water to scrub, with a vinegar rinse
good luck

virgo75
July 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
I can get out most oils by shampooing twice followed by conditioning 2 or 3 times in the shower with the first 2 being a cone free conditioner.

Sometimes if I oil very heavily or consistantly(especially with EVOO) it can take a week or 2 of regular shampooing & conditioning for my hair to go back to normal. I wash daily and shampoo most of those days.

GRU
July 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
FYI -- CO-washing doesn't have to involve leaving the conditioner on for any longer than you'd leave shampoo on. Lather, rinse, repeat. No need to marinate in it if your scalp doesn't like that.

feralnature
July 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
It may help you in the future to remember not to oil your scalp. I did one time and won't do it again. However, I oil the length and ends whenever I feel the need, at least once a week and with light oiling to the ends several times a week. I wash my hair 3 times every two weeks or so, maybe more. I was going to use olive oil today but realized I had used it all up in cooking. But in most cases, I use coconut oil because it makes me and my hair happy and is easy to rinse out any extra. I have my hair oiled with coconut oil right now, heavily, and wrapped in a Walmart plastic bag.

Just don't oil anything above your ears.

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Next time maybe wait until your scalp is oily with it's own sebum, then oil the length. When you get it out, you could apply conditioner to the length only.

I generously oil my length, then CWC with diluted shampoo, and I very seldom have any trouble getting enough of the oil out.

GoatLady
July 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I CO washed this morning, but did not leave it on very long. Treated it more like a normal shampooing. My hair is still pretty oily, but at least my ends aren't crunchy now. I'm just going to leave it up for a couple of days and then condition and shampoo the living daylights out of it and try to remove this stubborn olive oil. And no, I will not be using that oil on my scalp in the future. I've learned my lesson. :p

Darkhorse1
July 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
Clarify with Herbal Essence Degunkify. It's the only thing I found that got rid of olive oil--I had a heck of a time getting it out of my hair, but the results were very good :)

whitestiletto
July 1st, 2011, 09:49 PM
You should probably avoid "shampooing the living daylights" out of your hair... As many people have said the shampoo itself won't be very effective at removing the oil, and heavy repeated shampooing might keep changing the texture so you still won't be happy with it. In other words after heavy shampooing some of the problem might be from that, rather than from the initial oily issue.

What was your routine before this? What if you switched back to that and let the oil soak in and fade away naturally with your normal cleaning routine?

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
whitestilleto may be right about over-shampooing or "shampooing the living daylights" out of your hair. When I shampoo, I barely put a dollop of shampoo in my hand, dilute it by letting the shower water hit it, and then rub my hands together. Then I apply this weak mixture to my scalp, top, sides and back and do a gentle wash and scalp massage. I try not to let the shampoo run down the length. Enough shampoo accedentally runs down the length to clean it so no need to wash itwith more shampoo or rubbing with your hands, that will only dry out the ends. I rinse the shampoo out of my crown and gently out of my length. Then I apply condishoner to the hair below my ears, I slather it on. I rinse this out, leaving a small amount in, I don't over rinse it. Then I use a wide tooth comb and gently comb my hair out in the shower (sometimes I do this before rinsing the condish out, if I remember). I get out, wrap my head in a towel and then take it off and go outside and dry it in the sun.

GoatLady
July 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
:cheese:Hooray! The nasty Olive oil is finally out. :cheese: Whew. And yes, I did shampoo the daylights out. Which to me meant lather, rinse, and repeat...but only using the shampoo on the scalp area. Normally I shampoo once (every few days) and sparingly at that, but these were desperate times. After having super oily, gunky hair for nearly a full week, I was ready to have it be gone. I used only CO from the ears down since my ends are still crunchified from commercial dyes. Once my hair hits WL I'll start trimming those ends off in earnest. I think I'll try CWC for a bit. Thanks for all the hand holding, advice and support. That was scary. Here is a picture of my purty hair. Disregard those giant toothpaste blobs on the mirror. I'd clean them and redo....but I have a heck of a time taking a decent pic of the back of my head.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/5899286764_020bcfcd65.jpg