PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser nightmare, please help!

violeteyes
June 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM
So, my mother and I have had the same hairdresser for as long as I can remember, and before what happened the other day, I trusted her completely with my hair. I went in for my usual trim I get every few months and this time, she completely screwed everything up. My hair looks fine when it's all in the back, but when I pull it in front of my shoulders, it's completely uneven- some pieces are about 1 inch longer than the rest, and people have commented on it. I went in for her fix it, and she acted like it was normal- something about how now that my hair is longer, some pieces will have to be longer than others. But my hair did NOT look like that before the trim- it was COMPLETELY normal looking from the front and the back. She says this is the way it is and that if she makes it look even in the front, it will be uneven from the back. Please, can anyone give me some info about what to do??

kwaniesiam
June 30th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Find a different stylist to even it up. She obviously does not know what she is doing. A good haircut will be even from ALL angles.

UltraBella
June 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Can you post a pic for me to see the uneven areas ? I may have some suggestions for you if I can see what you are dealling with. Sorry you had a bad experience ! How much did you have cut off ?

violeteyes
June 30th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Can you post a pic for me to see the uneven areas ? I may have some suggestions for you if I can see what you are dealling with. Sorry you had a bad experience ! How much did you have cut off ?

I'm trying to upload some pictures right now, and thank you for the support guys. It's hard to tell how much was trimmed because, like I said, it's uneven. I trusted her so much, I never gave her that "cut more than 1/2 inch and I'll break your arm!" speech, so she just trimmed the split ends.

whitestiletto
June 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel. I had a nightmare stylist adventure several months ago and my hair is still a mullet with the left side 2 inches shorter than the right side, and each side is cut in gappy staircases... Oh it looks horrible and I have cried so much and gone back and got my money back and fought with them :( :( :( At least it will grow back, even if it's going to take me a year to grow back what they hacksawed off.

My advice is... if you want that length back... don't cut or trim it at all. Try wearing it up more, experiment with lots of updos to make it look pretty. After a couple months you have a little bit of length back you can then cut it into something reasonable looking. If it's already too short, cutting it shorter, will take longer to look normal again. It's a bad transition period but it's not forever and you can speed it up by going trimless.

You could try reading these previous threads for support / company in misery.

Anyone else recovering from a terrible haircut? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72964&highlight=terrible) << the first post shows my before and after, you can clearly see the gap and also how it's totally uneven... and that's after several months growing out :-/

Growing out layers Support thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35384)

violeteyes
June 30th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Here are the pictures.....

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/violeteyes5/hairpictures003.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/violeteyes5/hairpictures002.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/violeteyes5/hairpictures001.jpg

violeteyes
June 30th, 2011, 09:52 PM
And I apologize for the sideways and upside down one, for some reason it would not save the changes when I flipped them around the right way :(

spidermom
June 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
That looks normal to me for a straight-across cut in the back; the front-sides always look longer when they're pulled to the front. If it looks even when you pull it all to the front, that's more of a U- or V-shape in the back.

violeteyes
June 30th, 2011, 10:08 PM
That looks normal to me for a straight-across cut in the back; the front-sides always look longer when they're pulled to the front.

The thing is, it was cut straight across in the back before and definitely did not look like that in the front.

sarahbrownie
June 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM
It seems normal in the back, but that could be from the angle. However, what you're describing is very noticeable in the front.

Personally, I don't think it looks bad, but if you want it evened out than go to someone else and explain your concern. Seems like an easy fix to me. I've had much worse. The hairdress talked on the phone as she was giving me the haircut. I asked for framing layers in the front, like the Rachel do (yeah, still rock the same hair since 1996). She decided framing layers meant all the hair in front of my ear was chopped off to my mid-cheek, one side shorter than the other, so it sort of resembled and upside L at a profile. Even the hairdresser who fixed it said it was a horrible job. Took years to grow it back to normal.

I cut my mothers hair and I find if I don't cut the bottom layers/nape dry it ends up being too long and uneven. Maybe try for a dry cut next time?

spidermom
June 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM
You have no photo albums? Or are they/it limited to friends only? I was looking for pictures from before this cut.

I remember having hair at waist length that was cut straight across in the back, and my ends looked similar to yours when I pulled half my length in front of each shoulder.

UltraBella
June 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't call it a nightmare.

Since the photos are cropped so I can't tell much else, when you part your hair down the middle and pull both halves to the front over your shoulders, are the hair sections from over your ears longer or shorter than the hair from the back ?

If your front ear sections are longer, you have a blunt hemline. The hair from the back will always be shorter than the front when pulled over the shoulders, always.

If the sections are equal when pulled to the front, you have a U hemline.

If your front ear sections are shorter, you have a deep U or V.

They are all lovely in my opinion. Now that I have a blunt hemline, I wish I had my U back. I liked how the back was a tad longer when all my hair was pulled to the front. Now the back is shorter when pulled frontward and it slightly irritates me.

Darkhorse1
June 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM
That is actually normal.

In order to have hair all even, your hair dresser would need to brush it out the way you want it to fall. My hair dresser did this for me---usually the back hair can appear shorter when pulled over your shoulders because it's the furthest away and has to lose length to go over your shoulder--side hair will be longer because it's closer to the front.

If you got a U shaped hemline, it would even up the difference in appearance, but they have to brush it out and trim it as you'd want it to hang.

You have gorgeous hair!! I can understand your upset but that is, in fact, normal.

Regan
June 30th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry if you're unhappy with it, unfortunately I can't offer any advice - but I have to say, it's so beautiful and healthy looking! I can't wait until mine is that long in the front.

violeteyes
July 1st, 2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the compliments! But, for me, that noticeable gap in length in the front is NOT normal to me. It simply isn't. It has never looked like that before, and I'm more than upset about it. Something changed when it was trimmed, but I don't know what. I have had the same haircut for years, and I don't understand why there's now a very noticeable difference in length when pulled to the front. Starting now, I'm officially never going to a hairdresser ever again. Ever. I'll let it grow a few inches and then I'll have my mom cut it, because obviously a one-length haircut is just too much to ask for :(

Gulbahar
July 1st, 2011, 04:31 AM
Maybe your hair used to be cut in a u-shape before? For straight cut this looks totally normal to me.

PrincessBlondie
July 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM
This looks fine to me, and as someone above said not a hairdressing distaster by any means (now I REALLY have had a hairdressing nightmare)...

Your hair is beautiful and healthy....ENJOY!

Hypnotica
July 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the compliments! But, for me, that noticeable gap in length in the front is NOT normal to me. It simply isn't. It has never looked like that before, and I'm more than upset about it. Something changed when it was trimmed, but I don't know what. I have had the same haircut for years, and I don't understand why there's now a very noticeable difference in length when pulled to the front. Starting now, I'm officially never going to a hairdresser ever again. Ever. I'll let it grow a few inches and then I'll have my mom cut it, because obviously a one-length haircut is just too much to ask for :(

Don't you think you are overreacting just a tiny bit now? A blunt hemline will look uneven when pulled to the front especially if you have breasts.

Joliebaby
July 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM
In the first picture it looks like she cut your sides much shorter than the back.

Is the last picture how your hair used to be, because otherwise I don't understand.. the hair looks even there, pulled in front?

I can understand that you are upset if she gave you a totally different shape without asking:(
But you have gorgeous hair in any case!!!!

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2011, 05:58 AM

Are you sure you didn't have a very slight U before? That could make a bit of difference. I do see what you mean, but I also understand what others are saying. Your hair is definitely straight across at the back, so the only way you could get the front to even up would be to cut it in more of a U shape.

If you sort of fan your hair over your shoulder, does it look more like an angle rather than some shorter and some longer? I mean... I would imagine that it would make a straight diagonal sort of line... (if that makes sense).

Honestly, the only way to fix it would be a U hemline. This is something you could do yourself using Feye's method.

Hmm the other thing I can think of is that if your hair has been trimmed and thickened at the ends a bit, the front difference may just appear more obvious than it would have in the past? The thicker the hair at the ends, the more you'll see a difference when it's pulled forwards I think.

Lilli
July 1st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Often stylists will cut a slight U on longhairs, even when the client asks for straight across. At least, I remember mine used to when I was a teen and had long hair - I remember he used me as a demo once to explain to the next customer what her options were. He said for long, straight hair, he recommended a U hemline. I think a U hemline looks better from front and back - a true blunt with right angles in the back only looks good when the hair is combed perfectly down the back and you stand still - which is not how anyone is ever going to see it in real life. I would just trim it up to a slight U and leave it alone.

Cupofmilk
July 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM
That's what my hair looks like with a blunt hemline. My hair is a very similar length and that is honestly what mine looks like when pulled forward except for the fact mine is wavy.

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
Often stylists will cut a slight U on longhairs, even when the client asks for straight across. At least, I remember mine used to when I was a teen and had long hair - I remember he used me as a demo once to explain to the next customer what her options were. He said for long, straight hair, he recommended a U hemline. I think a U hemline looks better from front and back - a true blunt with right angles in the back only looks good when the hair is combed perfectly down the back and you stand still - which is not how anyone is ever going to see it in real life. I would just trim it up to a slight U and leave it alone.

I remember when I was younger insisting on a straight across blunt cut. I used to describe it IN DETAIL because almost invariably the hairdresser would give me a U cut! It was very hard to convince them to give me the full on straight, blunt cut... but that was the look I really loved at the time!

It depends a lot on the hair though. If the hair doesn't fall well at the front, then I guess it can end up looking strange. It depends on how the hair falls, because the hair right at the front will hang a lot lower than the hair that's brought over from the back.

If you typically pull all your hair over your shoulder it's going to look a little odd. Whereas if you wear some at the back, and some at the front (or it just falls that way naturally) you won't see a strange difference between lengths.

RitaPG
July 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
Don't you think you are overreacting just a tiny bit now? A blunt hemline will look uneven when pulled to the front especially if you have breasts.
Exactly, at your length I also had that issue, when you pull it in front of your shoulders, your body shapes (shoulders, boobs) and how that hair is placed more in the back of your head, make it look like you have less length. It took me a long time to figure it out but that's natural.
If you want a blunt line in the front, you need to get a U shaped hemline, I believe. http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/1827.html#cutid1
I'm sorry you are not happy with it, but please don't flame your stylist on this one.

lesbia
July 1st, 2011, 08:07 AM
I think it is absolutely normal.. and if before your hair was not like this in my opinion it could be because of the cut: if your hemline is more blunt the difference is more visible. Don't worry, that's ok, I like it! Your hemline from the back it's perfectly blunt, that's the important in my opinion. Anyway, I think waiting a little bit of time your hair will returns as they was :)

Zesty
July 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think it looks nice and normal, as well, but I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted (whether or not it's the stylist's fault). :( That is the most important thing with a haircut, after all. Like others, I would suggest getting a slight U hemline rather than a blunt cut, next time you trim. Then it will look more even when pulled to the front.

MonaLisa
July 1st, 2011, 09:40 AM
It looks great from behind, and even a bit U shape! :)
it's a good cut in my opinion. not even close to nightmare or anything.
you could ask only to trim the front/side parts a bit more into deeper U if you want it different when it's in front.
but how do you usually wear it? i doubt you part it in middle and put it all in front?

RitaCeleste
July 1st, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evening it up in front will create a deeper U shape in back. Like in Feyes self-trims. It will look good either way. I cut mine with my chin level in front. Bear in mind my sides haven't completely caught up and I'm still stuck with layers and thinning that hasn't grown out yet, so my U is deeper than yours would be.

RuLueashk
July 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hmm the other thing I can think of is that if your hair has been trimmed and thickened at the ends a bit, the front difference may just appear more obvious than it would have in the past? The thicker the hair at the ends, the more you'll see a difference when it's pulled forwards I think.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

violeteyes
July 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM
I get what everyone is saying, about how this is normal for a blunt hemline. BUT...a lot of you aren't taking it into consideration that my hair didn't look like that before the trim. I'm pretty sure she must have changed my hemline without asking, which is why I'm upset. I don't think I'm overreacting- everyone thinks their own hair problems are worse than other people's. Its just...I take extremely good care of my hair and I get upset when something happens that will make it even longer for me to reach my goal. Thanks everyone.

whitestiletto
July 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
I just looked at your pictures and I think you should just be happy your hair is still very long. It could be sO much worse. You can easily trim that into the shape you want and still have very long hair. Be happy she didn't cut it into a mullet hun, cuz then you'd be me.

RitaPG
July 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM
It's an anatomy thing, your head is round, not flat. It is physically impossible for hair that was cut straight in the back, to look straight in the front.
If your hair never looked like that before, you weren't getting a blunt cut. This was the first.
Don't get too upset about it, it's just hair, it always grows back.
If it was such a horrible experience for you, maybe it's time to join the team of self-trimmers http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ these tricks work every time.

Isilme
July 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to say that your hair really looks very nice and I personally think your stylist did a great job. I'm sorry for your sake that you didn't get what you wanted, but really, it looks healthy shiny and thick with blunt ends!

jeanniet
July 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
You can see the shape of my hemline from my signature pic, and I have perfectly straight ends when pulled to the front. You can't have a blunt hemline and straight ends in front. It just won't work. You must have had at least some U-shape before.

Hypnotica
July 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM
I get what everyone is saying, about how this is normal for a blunt hemline. BUT...a lot of you aren't taking it into consideration that my hair didn't look like that before the trim. I'm pretty sure she must have changed my hemline without asking, which is why I'm upset. I don't think I'm overreacting- everyone thinks their own hair problems are worse than other people's. Its just...I take extremely good care of my hair and I get upset when something happens that will make it even longer for me to reach my goal. Thanks everyone.

But there is *nothing* with this cut that will make it take longer time to reach your goal...! You probably had a U-cut before and nor you have a blunt hemline. Changing the blunt line into a U will not cost you more hair then if you got a U from the beginning. And yes - you do overreact a little bit. The hairdresser didn't destroy your hair.

And hand on heart - how often do you wear all your hair on the front of the body?

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Do you have any pictures from before the cut? I think you must have had more of a U-shape than you realized if your ends looked even when they were pulled to the front.

Your hair isn't ruined, but if you liked it better before this last hair cut, then dig up a picture and tell her you want your hair like that again.

layla<33
July 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think it looks fine but it does look angled in the front. i wouldnt try to get it evened out, maybe grow it out aa inch and then even it out so its the same length??

violeteyes
July 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
But there is *nothing* with this cut that will make it take longer time to reach your goal...! You probably had a U-cut before and nor you have a blunt hemline. Changing the blunt line into a U will not cost you more hair then if you got a U from the beginning. And yes - you do overreact a little bit. The hairdresser didn't destroy your hair.

And hand on heart - how often do you wear all your hair on the front of the body?

Actually, I wear my hair over my shoulders about 99.9% of the time :) the only time I don't is when it's up in a bun. And actually, this isn't overreacting at all, but thanks. I was quite polite to my hairdresser when I asked if she could fix it, and she had the nerve to ask me if I had tried to cut it myself since I had been in a few days before. But thanks :)

Toadstool
July 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM
I donl't think you're overreacting. I think you have very beautiful hair, and from the front it does look uneven to my untrained eye. I hear everyone else's explanations about the hemline, and I am sure they're right and I'm also sure other people won't notice - it's just that I can see where you're coming from too, and I'm sorry you feel bad about your hair.

Darkhorse1
July 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
If you wear your hair over your shoulders all the time, it's quite possible the back was not even.

I asked my hair dresser about this very topic, and she said that you can't have a blunt hemline at the back and front---she did it in a way that she brushed my hair out and over my shoulders to make it as even as possible--that's the only way to get close to that.

anytime I had even hair in the front/over my shoulders, the back was a V/U hemline.

Do you have any old photos for comparison?