PDA

View Full Version : Selling Hair?

redfox78
June 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi there, it's been a while since I've posted :) I am up to 30" long with my hair, and it doesn't really seem like it's growing too fast anymore. I'm in between bsl and waist (although I still haven't found my waist yet... ;) ). I had my 7th baby 4 weeks ago today, and am still losing weight from that :)

So anyway, my question is about selling hair. Has anyone successfully sold their hair? Where and how did you do it? Did you get a good price?

I know that I have a unique shade of red, so I would think that it could go either way... either it would be sought after, or ignored. It's relatively healthy (I'm sure it could be healthier, but I haven't figured out how to make it so), but it's still in pretty good, virgin condition.

I don't necessarily mind the growing out process, but it's getting to a length that while I enjoy it, it's really getting to be too much for me to keep up with. Especially with a new baby :) So I could handle cutting it all off and then growing it out again :)

AshleyTheRed
June 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I don't know anything about selling hair, but as soon as I read this it made me think of Les Misérables

"What pretty hair! What pretty locks you got there..."

redfox78
June 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Lol, hubby and I went and saw that at the theatre a few months ago as our 12 year anniversary date :D

ladyfey
June 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Don't know about selling hair, but oh my goodness is your daughter surrounded by boys! I bet she won't take grief from anybody when she grows up! :)

AshleyTheRed
June 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Lol, hubby and I went and saw that at the theatre a few months ago as our 12 year anniversary date :D

Amazing isn't it! I have seen it performed so many times I can quote it by heart. xD

Madora
June 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Years ago I inquired about selling my hair..but when i learned that they would cut off A LOT of it, leaving me with only 2 inches, I quickly gave up THAT idea!

Darkhorse1
June 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
A friend of mine sold her hair (was very long---I think hip length) on ebay for 2 thousand dollars. She didn't know what the person wanted with it, but she was glad to have her hair shoulder length again (she had a thyroid condition so grew hair very fast, and a lot of it).

I may have the price wrong, so don't quote me on that, but long hair can go for that much----contact wig makers and people who make extentions as they pay top dollar for long hair.

JadeTigress
June 30th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Wow. As much as I hate this growing process, I think I could do it over again if someone wanted to give me $2000 for my hair.

teela1978
July 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
I looked into it a bit before I finally got my current job. There are some sites around that have claims of people buying your hair for $1000+... but there was a charge to place the ad, and it looked to me that for the length I was willing to give up (to shoulder/chin-ish) I'd probably make closer to $400 ish. I'd probably have done it if it was a sure thing, but it was a bit too iffy to me.

ravensinger13
July 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM
I am in the process of trying of sell my hair. I did pay to put an ad up, but it runs for three months, so I'm not too worried about the cost. A couple of years ago I tried to sell it but some major snow and ice storms prevented me from meeting with the buyer I had lined up and I was very leery of just chopping all of my hair off and mailing it to someone I had never met.

ArienEllariel
July 1st, 2011, 05:36 AM
I immediately thought of Jo from Little Women when I read the title of this thread. Hmm.. never really thought of selling hair. I honestly don't know anything about it but I wish you the best in your search. :)

redfox78
July 1st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Don't know about selling hair, but oh my goodness is your daughter surrounded by boys! I bet she won't take grief from anybody when she grows up! :)

Haha, she doesn't take grief now ;) Lol, she did get annoyed when we announced it was another boy... Her first comment was "Ugh, another boy!". But of course she loves him :)

Some of the sites I saw suggested not cutting one's hair until a sale is made, and then having a salon cut it, so I'd probably do that. My only problem is how to advertise it. I am terrible at promoting things like that.

Lol, anyone want to help me write an ad?? :D