PDA

View Full Version : Cones? Bad? Rubbish!

Charlotte:)
June 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I recently went back to using cones after five months of not using them, and I would like to share my experience.

When I was not using cones, my hair became dull, crunchy, velcro-y (yes, I know that's not a real word), and VERY tangly. I couldn't even run a comb through my hair without hearing snapping sounds. When I tried to make sections of hair for a braid, it wouldn't seperate very well, because it kept sticking together. My hair was simply unmanageable. This sounds like a protein problem right? Wrong. I used no proteins.

A couple weeks ago I started using cones again. Does my hair feel plasticy? Nope; it just feels really smooth and soft. Does it cover up damage? Not at all (I can still see and cut off my splits), but it does protect my hair from damage, because it doesn't tangle and rip anymore. It also adds a lot of slip and shine. It's like the henna alternative for light hair! I can even do the notorious bun-drop that a lot of long haired henna-heads do on Youtube!

In conclusion, I don't think cones are bad for hair. They may not be compatable to eveyones hair, but that doesn't make them bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a cone-head once more! Now bring on the dancing cheese!:cheese:

whitestiletto
June 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Does anyone think glycerin/glycerol would have the same effect? It's slippery!

pepperminttea
June 30th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm glad that 'cones work for you. :) Incidentally, did you oil when you were 'cone-free? That was absolute lifesaver for me to give my hair some slip.

Kherome
June 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Cones seal moisture out of the hair. If you're mindful of that they can be used.

santie
June 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I found the same thing as you when I tried to go cone-free! I need cones for that extra slip so that my hair doesn't tangle.

virgo75
June 30th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Charlotte, congrats on finding what works for you! :cheese:
I agree that there's nothing wrong with cones.

Cones, oils, and butters all do the same thing: seal moisture in and out of hair.
To be honest though, I've never had the buildup from cones that I get from some oils and butters. :shrug:

Regan
June 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Does anyone actually think cones are "bad"? I was always under the impression that some people just didn't like the build-up and sealant properties that cones tend to have. I'm glad they're working for you, though. It's nice when you find something with consistently good results.

Flossy
June 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I don't mind cones at all. I don't like them in my shampoos, and I try to keep them at a minimum in my condish (because that's when I get the bad build up) but I love them in serum or leave in. Give me my MorrocanOil over shea butter any day!

Copasetic
June 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Does anyone actually think cones are "bad"? I was always under the impression that some people just didn't like the build-up and sealant properties that cones tend to have. I'm glad they're working for you, though. It's nice when you find something with consistently good results.

A lot of people seem to think cones are bad, for all kinds of reasons. Some of them are downright crazy, like "Cones don't let your hair breathe!!"

I love cones. I too went cone free for a while, but it didn't really work for me. Cones make my curls manageable, soft, and all around awesome.

krissykins
June 30th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I went on a rant about this a couple of months ago in my blog. I dislike everyone going around spread lies that they are evil, though I don't use them myself, personally.

Glad to hear it's working for you! :waltz:

Fairlight63
June 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Charlotte,
I could have wrote your post, your hair sounds JUST like mine did when I tried going cone free. It was impossible to braid my hair, comb it, or even run my fingers through my hair. I tried putting oil on my hair but it just caused build-up plus tangles. I couldn't do any thing with it but put it up in a messy bun.

My hair on cones feels moisturized & not dry, feels like healthy hair again.

Athena's Owl
June 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yay, you found what works for you!

Also Yay, You gave something different a good amount of time before you decided that it wasn't working!

leslissocool
June 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM
My hair acted the same way when I went cone free for a month, and I did oil. Cones are a life saver to my super coarse hair!

And about cones not letting your hair "breathe", oils do that too. Most of them coat the hair sealing the moisture. Which is what cones do too. It's just a matter of what works best for your hair. My husband's waist length hair doesn't like cones, so we buy cone free for him while my hair soaks up Paul Mitchell's super skinny serum like it's nothing, and I don't get any build up...

Marz Hase
June 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I agree with you! I think different things work for different people. Ditching cones, for me, was a life send. I always had limp, lanky hair with a funny texture that needed to be shampooed within an inch of its life, and my scalp, back and chest constantly broke out. I never considered cones to be omgteh3vil!, just that they didn't work for me.

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have had some interesting stuff happen with cones. But they got my hair about this long! I just switched to co-washing and a cone free conditioner. Oh I still use products with cones sometimes, I just shampoo with real shampoo if my conditioner won't soak in. lol I tried this one product that had horrible ingredients that people swear will just ruin your hair, mineral oil, lanolin. Oddly the stuff worked like a dream and is pretty popular on another site. I am happy to try it and see if works. If it works I'll use it until it stops.:D

vanillabones
June 30th, 2011, 08:15 PM
When I tried going cone-free my whole head turned to splits (lots of bleach damage still ;) ) cones are a must for me and my baby fine hair!

luxepiggy
July 1st, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hear, hear!! Piggies love cones! I will never, ever give them up. They make my hair ever so wonderfully sleek & shiny (^(oo)^)v

One thing I noticed is that people tend to extrapolate their bad experiences using one or two coney products and conclude that cones don't work for their hair. In doing so I really think they could be missing out! Different cones vary as much as different oils - it's important to find the right ones for your hairtype! For example, dimethicone is far too heavy for my hairtype, and tends to make my hair limp and piecey. Instead, I usually look for amodimethicone in my rinse-out conditioners. Both of my favorite shine sprays, on the other hand, contain cyclomethicone and phenyl trimethicone, while cyclopentasiloxane-based shine serums seem a bit too heavy and can easily leave my hair looking greasy.

CaityBear
July 1st, 2011, 01:50 AM
I personally have never bothered to go cone free. My hair is fine when I use cones so I've never bothered to try being cone free though I do know almost all my conditioners are cone free, but I still use cone ones just because.

Cones are just like everything else...work for some people, don't work for other. That's why it's always suggested a person tries what they want to see if their hair likes it.

janeytilllie
July 1st, 2011, 02:03 AM
My hair was the same when I was cone free. My hair is very fragile and breaks easily. Cone free did not offer that much need portection.

I ended up having to have two huge cuts one being 14" and the the other 6":wail:

I have been using cones for a few months now. My hair is so much better. No more splits, breakage and thin ends :joy:

I shall join you in the yay for cones dance! :cheese: :waltz:

lady_hero
July 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Cone free doesn't work for me, either. I thought that going cone free would help my fine-ish hair have more volume ( be less weighed down ) but I ended up with a tangly, dry, split ended mess! Oh, and I started my cone free experiment early in my pregnancy when I had some morning sickness, and now I can't STAND the smell of the cone free conditioners I used ( Tresemme Naturals and Suave Green Apple ) and I used to love their fragrances. Boo hoo :-(

gretchen_hair
July 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have some leave ins that have cones and some don't. I never really pay attention to which ones have them. If that particular leave in works well, I use it again, I always switch up because I like different smells. Use what works for you! :)

spidermom
July 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Cones seal moisture out of the hair. If you're mindful of that they can be used.

AND cones seal moisture into the hair!

BabyRay33
July 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM
I skipped cones for about 2 months, and I ened up with velcro ends as well. I think cones tend to work well for people with really fine hair. I need them to help protect my hair. Also, because I swim, I think they really help seal out the chlorine...and even still, I cover my head with oil, just in case....:p

Lianna
July 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
If someone is using cones and feel they can't put moisture into the hair anymore (and feels dry), they just need to clarify. It's the same with anything that builds-up.

And yes, power to the cones. I'm a cone user. =)

Anje
July 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Glad they work for you.

Your description of your hair without silicones sounds a lot like my hair with them, especially serum. But my hair is definitely a bit extreme in its dislike of silicones and proteins, and it doesn't stop me from suggesting either to people who might benefit from them.

celebriangel
July 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
It's funny, I had the total opposite experience - I went around thinking "cones are bad? Don't be silly. They woudn't be in conditioner if they were bad!"

Um. Then I tried going conefree. My shine came out, my curls came out, my texture is so soft and smooth instead of sticky and bushy!

Just goes to show, eh? Different people's hair likes drastically different things. I've learnt that I probably could use cones again if I chose to, as long as I chose carefully. However, I CO, and I can't be bothered clarifying very often, so conefree it is :D

BroadwayBeauty
July 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Yay :) I've always felt silly when I've told people I CO wash with a coney conditioner, but it's seriously what works best for my hair. Everything else left my hair dry, greasy, and tangled.

Charlotte:)
July 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm glad that 'cones work for you. :) Incidentally, did you oil when you were 'cone-free? That was absolute lifesaver for me to give my hair some slip.

I oiled my hair as soon as it was barley dry after showering. I think it may have added a bit of shine (especially jojoba), but it didn't make my hair any more manageable (especially when I tried using coconut oil which solidified in my hair).

Corvus
July 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm a cone-head too! Tried to go without for a time and found I hated the way my hair felt. It was crispy, didn't shine, and wasn't as silky soft as I'm accustomed to having it. I also use heat fairly often so I really think I need the protection it offers.

Solange
July 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Oh, I like my cones too! Trial and error I say, then use what works for you.

Sunny_side_up
July 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
I go through periods of avoiding them, then getting back to using them:p Recently, like Anje had posted, i felt my hair didn't feel too good after using what i normally grab in the shower... so, will be having a little break from cones, i shall be braiding and just oiling the ends. My hair feels less weighted and flattened that way and must admit i kinda enjoy my hairs texture and volume that becomes something quite different without cones:)

MrsGuther
July 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
I recently went back to using cones after five months of not using them, and I would like to share my experience.

When I was not using cones, my hair became dull, crunchy, velcro-y (yes, I know that's not a real word), and VERY tangly. I couldn't even run a comb through my hair without hearing snapping sounds. When I tried to make sections of hair for a braid, it wouldn't seperate very well, because it kept sticking together. My hair was simply unmanageable. This sounds like a protein problem right? Wrong. I used no proteins.

A couple weeks ago I started using cones again. Does my hair feel plasticy? Nope; it just feels really smooth and soft. Does it cover up damage? Not at all (I can still see and cut off my splits), but it does protect my hair from damage, because it doesn't tangle and rip anymore. It also adds a lot of slip and shine. It's like the henna alternative for light hair! I can even do the notorious bun-drop that a lot of long haired henna-heads do on Youtube!

In conclusion, I don't think cones are bad for hair. They may not be compatable to eveyones hair, but that doesn't make them bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a cone-head once more! Now bring on the dancing cheese!:cheese:

My hair loves cones!!! :)

jojo
July 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
you beat me to it spidey!

Also there are a million "are cones evil, bad, the devil etc etc" threads on here, you may find some more answers to your question through search.

My tuppenth worth I actually like cones and dont think they are bad!

layla<33
July 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
I love cones in my products! As long as I remember to clarify every now and then I never have a problem :)

dulce
July 2nd, 2011, 12:35 AM
I have always used cones,they coat and protect the part of my hair that that was previously dyed and help keep frizzies at bay.I also oil regularly .It works for me!

Rosetta
July 2nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
In conclusion, I don't think cones are bad for hair. They may not be compatable to eveyones hair, but that doesn't make them bad.

I completely agree with you! :) (I actually just posted something very similar to that to a thread in the products section...)

You have similar hair type as me (1a/b), and it seems hair type may be one key (maybe even the key?) to why some hate cones and some love them - for straight hair, they make miracles, glossy, soft, tangle-free hair, but as for curlies/wavies, not so much... And quickly looking through most posts here seems to confirm that, more or less.

leslissocool
July 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I completely agree with you! :) (I actually just posted something very similar to that to a thread in the products section...)

You have similar hair type as me (1a/b), and it seems hair type may be one key (maybe even the key?) to why some hate cones and some love them - for straight hair, they make miracles, glossy, soft, tangle-free hair, but as for curlies/wavies, not so much... And quickly looking through most posts here seems to confirm that, more or less.

I don't think it has anything to do with hair type, I am have wavy-curly hair ( used to be more of a 2c before I started to henna, my hair is really coarse) and my hair loves cones. My husband has pitch straight hair (1a super fine) and his hair detest it.

Henrietta
July 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
It's funny to find a person with very similar experience to mine. I'm back to cones too now.
After a time of considering them to be generally bad, we seem to have "defending cones" campaign here. I'm in! :)

IndigoAsh
July 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I went back to cones and my hair is much happier because of it. Oiling didn't work as well as cones for sure. I still use almond oil on my hair though at the ends and use cones on the lower half of my hair(conditioner is my coney goodness of choice) I also have previous damage from before I joined LHC so the last 6 inches of my hair is much harder to tame. I like the not having to load my hair down with oil though. To each their own.

EbonyCurls
July 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
My personal rules for cones is use in superficial styling products = YES and use in anything that needs to clean or moisturize (like shampoo or conditioner) =NO.

The products that cause my hair to tangle less tend to contain cones. As long as I keep them out of my washing and conditioning products, and use a cone-free leave-in underneath, they are a god send to me. I've been using them correctly for about 5 years now and have not had an iota of build-up.

I agree, it's not necessarily the cones, but it's how you use it. Just like *most* people don't use oil for moisturizing (but as a sealer) I wouldn't ever use cones as a moisturizer. OTOH though, oil and my hair are like oil and vinegar, my hair has never like oil. So do what works for you.

CastaDiva
July 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
My hair loves cones! I have tried no cone products, but they just didn`t work for my hair. With cones I get shiny, smooth and tangle free hair:)

LunaMoon
July 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I love cones too. My experience being cone-free was like yours.
My hair was dry and oily at the same time, so weird. I couldn't comb at all.
I am COing for 3 weeks now, trying to use my cone free con (I don't like to waste) in my roots and a coney conditioner in my lengh after.
Well, I already use coneys to CO and my scalp was happy as well. No difference at all. I just keep my eyes open for buid-up and that is all.
I am not going to give up cones, my hair needs them, and I love the extra protection that my hair get from cones. :cheese:

chickpea
July 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hear, hear!! Piggies love cones! I will never, ever give them up. They make my hair ever so wonderfully sleek & shiny (^(oo)^)v

One thing I noticed is that people tend to extrapolate their bad experiences using one or two coney products and conclude that cones don't work for their hair. In doing so I really think they could be missing out! Different cones vary as much as different oils - it's important to find the right ones for your hairtype! For example, dimethicone is far too heavy for my hairtype, and tends to make my hair limp and piecey. Instead, I usually look for amodimethicone in my rinse-out conditioners. Both of my favorite shine sprays, on the other hand, contain cyclomethicone and phenyl trimethicone, while cyclopentasiloxane-based shine serums seem a bit too heavy and can easily leave my hair looking greasy.

You make a very good point about not all -cones being the same. My hair does well with rinse out conditioners that contain amodimethicone or PEG-modified dimethicone. Without cones my hair is hard to detangle and gets damaged much more easily. Oils are nice, but for me they are no substitute for cones. I don't think cones mask damage either. When I do get splits I can see them just fine, but there are fewer when I use cone-y conditioners.

TheMechaGinger
July 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I hid from cones for about a year and my hair did the exact same thing! It was hardly shiny or soft, and oil helped some but it wasn't the same. My hair was really inflexible too, I could hold a chunk of it out horizontally and instead of bending it would stick straight out. So about two weeks ago I picked up some silk drops and a bottle of HE conditioner, you know the red one for long hair? And my hair looks and feels amazing now. I think it depends on your hair type, I have thick and somewhat course hair and cones just really do the trick for me

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'm one of those people whose hair looks and feels like plastic after continued use of coney conditioners, but once in a while, when my ends get tangley, I give in and use a condish LOADED with cones. And it is oh so wonderful ^^'
Cones ain't bad, that's a myth :p

LunaMoon
July 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
You make a very good point about not all -cones being the same. My hair does well with rinse out conditioners that contain amodimethicone or PEG-modified dimethicone. Without cones my hair is hard to detangle and gets damaged much more easily. Oils are nice, but for me they are no substitute for cones. I don't think cones mask damage either. When I do get splits I can see them just fine, but there are fewer when I use cone-y conditioners.

I agree. Not all cones are the same. I always use amodimethicone and has to be in the botton of the list. Dimethicone is a little heavy for my hair as well. I am COing but I use a SLeS shampoo once a week, so not big deal with build up until now.

pittsburgpam
July 3rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
I tried going cone-free and I couldn't stand it. My hair just clings to itself, tangles, isn't silky, etc. I didn't know there was such a thing as "build up". My hair does the best when I oil it the night before washing. No dryness or sealing out of moisture here.

Rosetta
July 4th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with hair type, I am have wavy-curly hair ( used to be more of a 2c before I started to henna, my hair is really coarse) and my hair loves cones. My husband has pitch straight hair (1a super fine) and his hair detest it.

Of course there are always exceptions :), but that's just something I've noticed - most straighties seem to do better with cones, and the opposite for curlies/wavies. It would actually be interesting to do a study/poll about it (maybe there has been one already?).

Lianna
July 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
My personal rules for cones is use in superficial styling products = YES and use in anything that needs to clean or moisturize (like shampoo or conditioner) =NO.

My personal rule is the exact opposite. :D The most important cone in my regimen is the one in my shampoo. It keeps my hair from tangling while shampooing, and allows me to shampoo everyday without dryness issues. The shampoo has SLES so my hair never gets build-up from it, some cone always wash away, and some keep in the hair. Perfect for me. :)

Mesmerise
July 4th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Well... I don't know about cones or no cones! When I don't use cones I can comb my hair without a problem...and same when I do use cones.

I haven't been using them for awhile, to be honest, but today I was showering at my in laws' house, and I used a regular shampoo and conditioner which most likely had cones. My hair actually feels quite nice and silky now! I did put in a bit of coconut oil to protect against frizzies, and it seems less frizzy today than usual.

I really need to do some monthly challenges and start documenting my hair with different treatment... and eventually I will figure out what my hair loves the BEST! If that's cones, then that's cones!

BroadwayBeauty
July 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
My hair loves it some cones :) I've been CO-ing for almost a month now with Aussie Clense & Mend, which is excellent!! But, it has cones in it. Maybe once a week I wash with a sulfate-free shampoo (mostly because it was a gift and I don't want it to go unused). My hair loves this routine, but I've heard so much about coney buildup. I've never seen buildup before, or at least I don't think so. What does buildup from cones look like?? Is it something i can get rid of with my sulfate-free shampoo? Maybe that's why I'm not seeing any buildup?

GourmetChica
July 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I love them too! My hair has finally stopped splitting ever since I started. Here's what I do, apply a moisturizing cone free or very light cone leave in first (usually either phyto 9 cream, Matrix biolage conditioning balm, Aveno nourish spray, or Biomega moisture mist), and then a coney serum (usually Joico Oil or Moroccan oil Light) afterwords. That way the moisture gets absorbed and somewhat sealed from the cones. And...my ends are protected from heat and friction.

I can't believe I lived without them for so long. I am finally starting to see some length!

LoversLullaby
July 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
My hair sounds just like your hair when I dont use cones. My hair is ucky when I don't!! I've tried many times to go cone-free and no matter what cone-free conditioner I use I get the same results: crunchy, tangly, frizzy, dry hair. Cones don't cover up damage, because I can still see my splits/white spots when using cones, but I gave less because my hair isn't breaking.
My hair loves cones, I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Katze
July 7th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I agree.

'Cones are not an everyday thing for me. I go in and out of using them, because they seem to make my scalp unhappier. But sometimes I love doing a coney CWC, then blowdamping and styling my hair with gel.

For my fine messy wavy hair 'cones help make it look smoother and tidier. Plus Amoretti, who is my hair idol, uses the same ones I do so maybe my hair will look like hers by the time I die if I keep using them. :D

alyaziaaah
October 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I feel it depends on the hair quality one has. My hair is half 2b/c and the ends are growing out rebonding, they are completely straight.
On my rebonded hair cones worked well, in shampoo, con and serum, they provided slip and kept my hair from brushing damage. But on my naturally wavy coarse hair they protected it from brushing damage as they provided slip but they made my hair incedibly frizzy. Since I am cone free and when I co-wash only, my hair is not frizzy anymore, even in our extremely humid climate, as I live in Dubai.
But my ends are badly damaged and they break because of the chemical treatments, and nothing gives me enough slip. So I think only a serum will be helpful, as sheabutter might be good on my naturall hair but on my rebonded its too heavy.
I will buy serum just for my ends before brushing twice a day, besides that I will stay cone free.
So, my conclusion is, cuticle open hair, aka wavy, curly, coarse hair can't take cones as it needs accsess to moisture from the air. Straight, rebonded, aka cuticle flat hair goes well with cones.
Dear all, correct me if I am wrong, I am new to this site and I am just learning all I can from you :-)

pepperpot
October 11th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I didn't have quite such bad problems as the OP when cone free, but I definitely prefer my hair with cones, and I have never had any problems with build up. Oils never worked for me, they did cause build up amongst other problems, so were never a good alternative to cones.

I never bought into the "cones are bad" myth.

katienoonan
October 11th, 2011, 05:02 AM

Doesn't this also imply that they seal moisture IN?

:hmm:

erialc
October 11th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I don't think cones are necessarily BAD for the hair, it's just that 99&#37; of them need to be washed out with an SLS shampoo and THAT is the problem for many of us. My hair is a dry, frizzy and tangly mess when I use SLS and no cones could ever make up for that...

dulce
October 11th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have used cones[pantene] for years,my hair does so much better with them.When I try cone free my hair suffers so back I go!

MychelleC
October 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM
My hair loves silicones, and while they are not for every head the amount of misinformation about them drives me crazy. Yes, silciones create a moisture barrier, preventing trans-epidermal water loss. This means that they seal moisture IN the hair shaft and then keep environmental moisture OUT. This is why they are ideal for frizzy hair, which puffs up as it absorbs environmental moisture. There is some potential for build-up with silicones, but this is actually much more of an issue with the cationic ingredients in conditioners. These cationic ingredients adsorb (bond to) the negatively charged (damaged) parts of hair and create a protective layer. Not only do cationic ingredients have major build-up potential, but they increase the amount of silicone deposited on hair, which leads to the build up everyone is afraid of. Rather than just checking our labels for silicones, look for ingredients like: Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Polyquaternium 7-44, and in particular Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride. These ingredients, COMBINED with silicones, are a direct route to build-up city. Silicones alone provide very little build-up, and can be washed out with any gentle surfactant-based shampoo; SLS being needed to wash out silicones is totally unnecessary and a complete myth.

As for glycerin and the glycols, these serve the opposite purpose of silicones. They are humectants that draw environmental moisture into the hair shaft. Totally different.

Lastly, for a frizzy haired girl a touch of build-up is not always a bad thing. A little weight can help frizz stay under control. Healthy hair is all about individual hair types, what works for every person, and science.

Of the Fae
October 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
My hair is very prone to breakage without cones! If I don't use them, I tangle like mad. I could grow dreadlocks in a week :P
But with them my hair is smooth and easily comb able!
Hereby I declare my weekly enjoyment of cony conditioner!

Of the Fae
October 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hurrah for hairscience btw

EmiliaF
October 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have experienced exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, the same as the OP.
I have stopped using cones last December when joining TLHC. I tried CO, WO, BS+ACV and Ghassoul. All of those 'methods' worked for some time and while they worked it was great. In the past weeks my hair also became very tangly and it was hard to comb through (even with my horn comb). I decided to try cones again because everything else did not work anymore.

For the first time in 6 months I've gotten a hair compliment... !!! Not that that matters, but I think there is definitely a difference in shine and slip and just overall appearance. I am now very happy with my coney hair ;)

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
My hair is tangly and sticky no matter what I do, but it is better with cones. There are a couple of non-cone conditioners that work well for my hair, though.

luxepiggy
October 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/true.png

Piggies :heartbeat cones! WOO! \(^(oo)^)/

archel
October 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking if I did my aloe gel leave in and put a coney serum over it, it might be awesome. I'm gonna try this on wash day.

Ermine
October 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
This thread is interesting. I used to be one of those cone haters, but found that they can work great for me with moderation. I can't do coney conditioner without my hair feeling like limp plastic, but coney shampoo with cone free conditioner works great!