PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm.....Should I go for terminal??

rymorg2
June 23rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
In my decision making process to leave my salon job, I've become excited about being able to grow my hair how I want to again. I'm considering goals of classic or even TERMINAL :bigeyes: but I'm very nervous about those dumb headaches. Since I've figured out that most likely they were caused by chemical exposure (when I'm not at work I don't get them now since I've stopped using chemical laden products on my head) then chances are they won't come back. But I'm a bit concerned still. I SO want to have the long lovely locks that many here have. I just have so much hair!

Any opinions/suggestions? huh? huh huh? Pretty please? :rollin:

Chromis
June 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Why not? You'll never know if the headaches will come back with long hair until you try i and honestly, most people's hair doesn't weigh *that* much.

Juliet's Silk
June 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
You can always cut it if it gets too long for your liking... :shrug: So, just grow it as long as you like.

Saranne772
June 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM
grow it. It wont happen overnight so you can gradually get used to more weight. You wont notice it

FrannyG
June 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
I suspect that your headaches have nothing to do with length and everything to do with those chemicals. However, if I'm wrong there's no way to find out until you go for it.

So yes, I say jump right on board the bandwagon of those of us going for terminal! :hollie: With your growth rate, you'll be there in two years! :)

Riot Crrl
June 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I agree with the previous posts, if it starts to get heavy you can always trim and maintain at whatever you are happy with. It's not irreversible or anything.

Nat242
June 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I may be getting this wrong, and apologies if I do, but I think it is Ursula who trims her hair when it starts to feel heavy, and it seems to give her scalp time to adjust to the new weight. Even with the trims, she continues to gain length - she just lets her scalp "acclimatize" to new, heavier lengths.

Maybe her strategy could be of use to you?

-- Natalie

Delenn
June 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I have a ton of hair, too. At first my goal was tailbone, now that I'm getting close I'm thinking about classic. Which got me thinking... what's my actual goal? I have no clue! I'll know when I get there and when things get out of control that's when I'll start maintaining at a certain length.

lora410
June 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
definitely!!and if you are worried about the heaviness you can get layers to help take off some of the weight while still keeping your length.

Morticia
June 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Isn't your hair chin length right now? Why worry about growing to terminal right now, since it will take years to get to that point? Just curious.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Isn't your hair chin length right now? Why worry about growing to terminal right now, since it will take years to get to that point? Just curious.

This is similar to what I was thinking. I've been growing for about 7 years now and haven't even gotten to tailbone yet. I'm still holding classic as goal, but terminal may come first. We find these things out over time, I think. Grow and enjoy!

wintersun99
June 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
And if it does get to heavy, at least for me, i could deal with it in different styles. When my hair was classic, it was simply too heavy to wear it in a bun, but I could do pigtailed frenchbraids, or three seprate buns done up in a triangle right next to one another, and it seemed to spread the weight around. As it grows you will certainly find what works for you and what doesnot. My sister does not let her hair grow past BSL without taking thinning shears to it AND adding layers. But she has curly hair so she can do that, my straight hairwill not tolerate it.

DavidN
June 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
By all means, Rymorg2, go for terminal length hair, and all of us at the LHC will be sure to cheer you on in your journey!:cheer:

julya
June 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
My hair only feels heavy if my bun is unbalanced.

DecafJane
June 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Go for it! :D

nissamholtz
June 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Why not. You'll never know unless you try. If it doesn't work, you can always trim it back.

Curlsgirl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
And if it does get to heavy, at least for me, i could deal with it in different styles. When my hair was classic, it was simply too heavy to wear it in a bun, but I could do pigtailed frenchbraids, or three seprate buns done up in a triangle right next to one another, and it seemed to spread the weight around. As it grows you will certainly find what works for you and what doesnot. My sister does not let her hair grow past BSL without taking thinning shears to it AND adding layers. But she has curly hair so she can do that, my straight hairwill not tolerate it.

THINNING SHEARS!!!!!!! :run:

But anyway, hee hee, I cannot wear certain styles like others have mentioned. I have thick hair and a fairly tender scalp. I have learned to just mostly mark buns off my list BUT if I do more balanced hairstyles and get them just right I'm fine. I do halfups which almost always work and keep my hair out of my face or if it's windy or hot I can almost always likewise wear a plain braid or 2. Also I have a friend who thought it was causing her headaches and she cut her waist length hair off to chin and NOPE it wasn't. Now she is just sick about it.

Not that it will happen with you but you'll never know until you try! I for one can't WAIT to watch your journey!!! :D What I do is when I near a certain goal I change it to the next body point I think I might like.

LuXious
June 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
why couldn't you grow it as long as you like in your salon job? do they have some kind of rule about length?

Laululintu
June 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM
The good thing about hair is that if you reach a point you think is too long, you can always trim back to a more comfortable length :)

OhioLisa
June 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hmm. I am not sure about others' opinions that just because you're at shorter lengths you shouldn't be thinking of an ultimate goal. Is there some LHC goal rule I am missing here? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I say yeah, try for terminal. As others have said, you can always cut back to a more manageable length if you don't like it. I, personally, am anxious to see what terminal is on you. :D

rymorg2
June 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Thank you everyone for your input!

Hey OhioLisa I thought that too.....I thought the whole point of a long hair loving board was to....grow your hair. I can just about guarantee it won't take me even 5 years, since it'll only take me about a year to a year and a half (if I can stay away from the scissors) to get back to where I was. But if terminal is beyond classic I don't know what I'll do LOL.....classic is REALLY about where I can see my hair, but I'm just as curious.

LuXious, no there's no rule, but they do tend to pressure you, not directly, but indirectly. One fellow manager said after I cut it "yeah, you needed to get rid of the pentacostle look." But with my chemical sensitivities, I can't color anymore (I'm exposed to those chemicals on a daily basis anyway when I do color services) and that WILL be an issue as my hair grows out.

Curlsgirl thanks for the tips.....I may think about those. I just love the look of buns and updos, especially with a rockin' fork in my hair. :D

Thanks again everyone!

wintersun99
June 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
...I can just about guarantee it won't take me even 5 years, since it'll only take me about a year to a year and a half (if I can stay away from the scissors) to get back to where I was...

Well, that should be easier to do, now that you are away from the salon! Scissors and pressure to cut, both outta sight, outta the hair :eyebrows:

SHELIAANN1969
June 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Grow baby grow, grow it as long as you like, I am glad to see you posting again!!

I am glad you're away from the chemicals and feeling better. I can't stand it when my sister uses nail polish or even remover or any kind of "bathroom sprays" I get sick to my stomach badly, I have serious chemical sensitivities.

I hope you will find that it wasn't the hair, and it was indeed the stanky chemicals.

(((hugs))))

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
THINNING SHEARS!!!!!!! :run:

Yeah, not my idea of a good time. But even with using the thinning shears and and layers that do not reach to her pony tail, her circumfrence is about 4 inches when really compressed, since it is curly, it looks like much more.

So I guess another thing to think about when considering how long to grow one's hair, is maybe a good place to stop is when it has taken over you head and overpowers your face.

rymorg2
June 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Well, Paradoxx, I'm not quite out of the salon. I'm in the process of looking for something else though. I will be gone soon though!!!

SheliaAnn, Thanks! Since I'm not quite out of the salon, I'm still around the chemicals, but since I also don't use them on my head anymore it's all good and my exposure is much less and I don't have a problem with headaches usually. That stinks that you're that sensitive, I thought I was the only one. :D

manderly
June 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
grow it. It wont happen overnight so you can gradually get used to more weight. You wont notice it

That's why drastic haircuts always felt so funny! My head always wanted to flop forward because suddenly all this weight was gone!

Grow it! Cut it when you feel like it :D