PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for hair help

umbrellabones
June 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
This isn't for me but for my very best friend. She had extremely thin baby fine hair. (It gets wet and you can see to her scalp). It sheds a lot and has always had many split ends. It's been like this her whole life. She had always used VO5 and suave shampoos and conditioners and has never regularly used heat on her hair. very rarely will she even use a blow drier. Her hair is currently just about waist length and has been there for a very long time but will not grow any more. She has always been insecure about her hair and has found nothing that has helped her hair look thicker and become healthier. (Her mom also has the same hair type) Is there anything she can do?

Anje
June 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM
There are things she can try... Wearing hair up (or even braided) tends to help it get longer by protecting it from tangles. If she's not doing that yet, it might make a difference. I'm sure my hair would be stuck at about waist if I wore it loose always, in any case. Gentle combing with combs that don't have sharp seams is also important -- so many people rip brushes through their hair as though they're mad at it!

Invite her to LHC! That'll give her a lot of positive support and will provide lots of suggestions for her to try based on the problems she has with it.

Signe
June 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
since you say she has had this problem all her life, it raises the question of whether she has any underlying health conditions or dietary constraints? if this is the case, it may be that she cannot easily get the right nutrients for healthier hair.

Night_Kitten
June 30th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Maybe oiling or deep treatments can help moisturise it and prevent some of the splits?
I was thinking about low iron levels or something along that line, but if her mom has the same hairtype it's probably just the hair type and not due to a medical issue

I also second Anje's advice :)

umbrellabones
June 30th, 2011, 02:34 PM
There are things she can try... Wearing hair up (or even braided) tends to help it get longer by protecting it from tangles. If she's not doing that yet, it might make a difference. I'm sure my hair would be stuck at about waist if I wore it loose always, in any case. Gentle combing with combs that don't have sharp seams is also important -- so many people rip brushes through their hair as though they're mad at it!

Invite her to LHC! That'll give her a lot of positive support and will provide lots of suggestions for her to try based on the problems she has with it. I'll tell her to try gentle combing and see if she want to join(:

umbrellabones
June 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
since you say she has had this problem all her life, it raises the question of whether she has any underlying health conditions or dietary constraints? if this is the case, it may be that she cannot easily get the right nutrients for healthier hair. I think its more of a hereditary type of thing but thanks(:

whitestiletto
June 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
100% boar bristle brushing of oiled hair might make it sleeker. This is the least damaging brush type, she can use it together with a wide tooth detangling comb.

Madora
June 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
If your friend is able, I think it would be a good idea for her to visit a trichologist (hair doctor) and learn if there are health reasons for her thin hair. Perhaps an iron deficiency, a thyroid problem? Something else? A complete blood panel and a thyroid check is in order.

What type of product is she using on her locks? Does she use a satin or silk pillowcase?

I hope her hairbrush is NOT nylon or plastic! Does she airdry?

Wearing her hair up, as another posted suggested, is a very good way of avoiding damage.

HOW does she brush/comb her hair? You'd be surprised how many folks don't know how to do it properly!

Hope she finds the solution to her problem. Also, a good trim to the ends might give her hair the illusion of looking thicker and healthier. Scraggly ends make thin hair look even worse.

pepperminttea
June 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If your friend is able, I think it would be a good idea for her to visit a trichologist (hair doctor) and learn if there are health reasons for her thin hair. Perhaps an iron deficiency, a thyroid problem? Something else? A complete blood panel and a thyroid check is in order.

Agreed. It might just be that her hairtype's inherited, seeing as her mother's hair is the same, but then again, she could have inherited a genetic thyroid problem that makes it that way. Hopefully not, but it wouldn't hurt to check just in case. :)

umbrellabones
June 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I've given her some tips for better habits. hopefully it will help. Are there any shampoos or conditioners that could help?

Mamakash
June 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I love Vatika coconut oil . . . I'm six months of using before every wash and I'm starting to see an improvement with hair fall in the shower and combing my hair out at night. I don't have any health issues . . . just fine hair that prone to shedding. I was getting concerned that the shedding might out pace my growth(I'm over 35). It was recommended by LHC members(I was looking for an alternative to a castor oil mix) and I love the way it makes my scalp and hair feel. Amla is supposed to help with shedding by keeping the roots healthier and it contains other ingredients to help with dandruff/oiliness. I have noticed it's a little harder to get my wide tooth comb through my hair at the scalp. There just seems to be more of it. It can't hurt to try. . . it's safer than supplements, and coconut oil is supposed to thicken hair. She might like it.