PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Hair.

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
This is something that really bugs me about my hair. AOHR seems to make it a bit more flexible. Most products that make it feel softer do not make it more flexible. It is very stiff, so much so that it doesn't hang very nice. It isn't chemical damage, its always like this. I mean I was mad when I was told virgin hair would be so great and I grew it out natural and it wasn't better, it was worse! Its strong, it isn't really brittle, you can stretch it and goes back into shape, it just does not hang right, drape, or bend over your finger unless its sopping wet and even then its springy. I want a cure for this. HELP!

Keepitgrowing29
June 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
More moisture, maybe try some Shea Butter. Or maybe its that you have hard water. Hope this helps.

gthlvrmx
June 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe that pesky protein build up? Some clarifying plus conditioners and products without the protein mess(hydrolyzed, wheat,silk, soy,amino) might help in retain just moisture with the added sealant (the butter or oil) to help retain more.
If it's hard water, mineral build up might be the case and you can try chelating a bit.
Club soda can help a little with the chlorine and calcium bonds, coconut oil overnight can rid of copper and iron bonds in the hair, EVOO has some effect too. Hope this helps.

Anje
June 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well, I'm a finey, so what I say might not apply, but I know that moisture treatments definitely improve the flexibility of my hair. When mine gets too dry or over-proteined or built-up, it gets stiff.

Hard water's also definitely worth considering. Perhaps a chelating shampoo or a club soda rinse is in order?

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks! We have well water and I assume its pretty hard. I Can get hold of club soda and try that tomorrow. I've ordered Shea Butter to try too. I thought I needed the protein because of coloring it, but my hair has recovered from the damage I did to it so maybe not so much is needed. It really seems to be a genetic thing. I've lived several different places, one with whole house water filtration systems. When I was kid, the other kids that worked with me would play with my hair and guess how tall a fro I could grow! GRRR! I just keep hoping there is something in a bottle that will fix it.

PrincessBlondie
June 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Maybe you should give Ojon oil (after clarifying your hair, to get rid of any build up).

Ojon restorative hair oil, makes hair VERY supple and soft due to the lipids, nut oil and vitamin E. Lots of other natural things in there, nothing "fake".

QVC sells it, and the Ojon site. I strongly recommend it, it will have your hair soft and flexable after one use, I promise! You put it on dry hair from anywhere from 20 mins or overnight. And the wash out and then condition. You have to saturate the hair completely in the oil.

Its my 10 out of 10 product!

Its very like coconut oil, but 100 times BETTER (because of the added extras in there)!

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I won't buy an oil that costs $11 per oz before shipping. 3.1 oz for $33 for ojon palm nut oil. $6 for 31.5 oz of coconut oil. $11 per oz verses .20 per oz. Its simply not cost effective. I am perfectly willing to spend a little more than is cost effective for a good product. With shipping I spend almost $1 per oz for my favorite conditioner. It is good, but is it truly 3 times better than Sauve Color Care? Its better but it is not doing 3 times the job of Color Care. I am comparing a $3 bottle of shampoo to a $10 a bottle shampoo. Can you even imagine what I would expect from a product that costs 55 times what coconut oil goes for??? .20 goes into $11 55 times!!! I hate math, but I can't help but do it. Somethings just add up to me and I'm afraid ojon oil can't be 55 times better than coconut oil so it can't be even remotely cost effective. I know ojon oil can't do anything for me to prove itself worthy of costing 55 times what coconut oil costs. My expectations for this product would become unreasonably high because I don't want to pay high prices for a small margin of improvement in a product. If it worked twice as well as coconut oil, you used half the amount of product, it still wouldn't be a good deal.

xoxophelia
June 30th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe you should give Ojon oil (after clarifying your hair, to get rid of any build up).

Ojon restorative hair oil, makes hair VERY supple and soft due to the lipids, nut oil and vitamin E. Lots of other natural things in there, nothing "fake".

QVC sells it, and the Ojon site. I strongly recommend it, it will have your hair soft and flexable after one use, I promise! You put it on dry hair from anywhere from 20 mins or overnight. And the wash out and then condition. You have to saturate the hair completely in the oil.

Its my 10 out of 10 product!

Its very like coconut oil, but 100 times BETTER (because of the added extras in there)!

I agree that Ojon does help but it definitely isn't enough for this hair type.. I should know.. I have it too ; _ ;

Like you Rita, my hair is pretty stiff and if I hold up a decent length of my hair it will just stick straight up and not flop. It isn't from protein build up as I don't use protein and I also don't use silicones (although when I did it was the same). The only thing I have found that helped was a heavy oiling of EVOO mixed with honey and then left on overnight. My ends were actually floppy! I was loving it :)

Another option is to dry your hair in buns or braids to basically force it to hang a certain way. That way it doesn't sort of.. stick out from your body.

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM
THANKS! I'm so glad to know I am not the only with this hair type. My ends will stick straight up if I flip my hair ends up. I did a heavy oiling with coconut and its really soft but still not floppy. EVOO and Honey are gonna get tried. I hope I save some honey for my hair, I keep mixing it with peanut butter and eating it.:evil::o I want floppy ends! Somewhere someone with limp hair is gonna be laughing about me wanting floppy hair...:D

PrincessBlondie
July 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM
I won't buy an oil that costs $11 per oz before shipping. 3.1 oz for $33 for ojon palm nut oil. $6 for 31.5 oz of coconut oil. $11 per oz verses .20 per oz. Its simply not cost effective. I am perfectly willing to spend a little more than is cost effective for a good product. With shipping I spend almost $1 per oz for my favorite conditioner. It is good, but is it truly 3 times better than Sauve Color Care? Its better but it is not doing 3 times the job of Color Care. I am comparing a $3 bottle of shampoo to a $10 a bottle shampoo. Can you even imagine what I would expect from a product that costs 55 times what coconut oil goes for??? .20 goes into $11 55 times!!! I hate math, but I can't help but do it. Somethings just add up to me and I'm afraid ojon oil can't be 55 times better than coconut oil so it can't be even remotely cost effective. I know ojon oil can't do anything for me to prove itself worthy of costing 55 times what coconut oil costs. My expectations for this product would become unreasonably high because I don't want to pay high prices for a small margin of improvement in a product. If it worked twice as well as coconut oil, you used half the amount of product, it still wouldn't be a good deal.

Sometimes you get what you pay for ;)

Ojon oil has so many added extra ingredients (all natural), than just plain coconut oil. Hence far superior results. Its also been scientifically proven to be better than coconut oil (lipids).

I will pay ANYTHING if it works. To me if it works, its worth it. And not to be totally blinkered as to cost. Just my way of looking at it, if you want a problems fixed pay up lol, if you don't, just learn to live with the problem.

Believe me, I am no fool. I will only pay top dollar for something that WORKS!

Its a bit like shopping, cheap Tesco value beans are nasty and not as good as Heinz. Sadly, sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

schweedie
July 1st, 2011, 06:04 AM
Oh, it's so nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem! It's not so much that it doesn't hang nicely, but like the OP says, it's so springy. This is partly the reason why I can't get the Chinese bun to work, and why the nautilus is a challenge - tucking my ends down is nearly impossible. And it doesn't matter what I do, clarifying/chelating, moisturising... It's always like this. It can be healthy and soft, but it's always springy. I never have soft tendrils sticking out of an updo, I just have spikes. *sigh*

PrincessBlondie
July 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM
Oh, it's so nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem! It's not so much that it doesn't hang nicely, but like the OP says, it's so springy. This is partly the reason why I can't get the Chinese bun to work, and why the nautilus is a challenge - tucking my ends down is nearly impossible. And it doesn't matter what I do, clarifying/chelating, moisturising... It's always like this. It can be healthy and soft, but it's always springy. I never have soft tendrils sticking out of an updo, I just have spikes. *sigh*

I LOVE your hair! Wow, the colour is gorgeous and length perfect! Try not to worry about the "springs" lol... :D

RitaPG
July 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
I don't do expensive treatments, can't afford that right now, but then again, my cheapie conditioners and jar of coconut oil are the perfect match.
When my hair gets a little dry, the ends go stiff too. I just use a good conditioner or hairmask for 30 minutes and rinse it out. It's almost too simple, but my hair feels and looks much better :cloud9:

RitaCeleste
July 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
The AOHR works on it a bit if I deep condition with it or wet the ends and use some as a leave in. I will deep condition and heavy oil and it doesn't make it totally floppy. The honey and EVOO sounds economical to try though too. I did a heavy oiling with coconut oil and my hair feels soft as silk but the ends didn't get floppy. If I buy Ojon oil and it does not make the ends floppy I would probably be angry enough about spending $11 per oz for it to turn unabomber on them. Seriously, if Ojon oil could get my hair to grow to classic in 3 days or something $11 oz would be a good deal, but it can't! There is a total limit to what I will spend on a product for a marginal improvement in performance. I can live with springy hair far easier than I can allow myself to be taken advantage of. Paying say 500% increase in price for a product that is 15% better is bad business. I can't live with that. (I'm raising two girls on $21,000, I'm not bad when I make smarter shopping choices. Often times you can get the same effects from cheaper products to expensive ones or near enough you won't care. The way I see it, I could spend more on my hair or I could eat steak occasionally. Steak will make hair GROW!)

TheMechaGinger
July 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I have really straight hair and mine does the same thing! It always breaks my heart a little when I look at others with straight hair that have it hanging around their shoulders all shiny soft looking. It seems no matter what I do my hair is neither shiny or soft and flexible.

RitaCeleste
July 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Well, I did this heavy oiling with plain old coconut oil from Walmart, its LouAna's and near the lard in the baking and oil isle. It made it soft. It made it shine. It didn't make it floppy. Occasionally a conditioner will help, then they discontinue it or something. Oil really makes my hair shine. The most expensive thing I use on my hair Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to make it softer and it helps a bit with stiffness, but my hair is REALLY stiff. I'm hoping the honey and EVOO will work because I could always find the ingredients and do that. If I go on some random quest of blindly buying conditioners and testing them on my hair, I'll spend way too much!!!

gthlvrmx
July 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Well, I did this heavy oiling with plain old coconut oil from Walmart, its LouAna's and near the lard in the baking and oil isle. It made it soft. It made it shine. It didn't make it floppy. Occasionally a conditioner will help, then they discontinue it or something. Oil really makes my hair shine. The most expensive thing I use on my hair Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to make it softer and it helps a bit with stiffness, but my hair is REALLY stiff. I'm hoping the honey and EVOO will work because I could always find the ingredients and do that. If I go on some random quest of blindly buying conditioners and testing them on my hair, I'll spend way too much!!!

Gah well i wish i understood your problem and could help correctly (im a curly hair), my ends only stuck out when they were damaged and i liked when it did, the waves and got girls jealous for some reason all damaged. Perfect tease hair they said.
Glad the oils help in shine! :)

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 10:42 PM
If money is your main concern, try everything you have available first to rule out what does and doesn't work for your hair. Like vinegar rinses, tea rinses, club soda, honey, aloe vera, any type of vegetable oil etc etc. Make a check list and see what feels best then try other things that work similar to that product until you find the best possible results.

RitaCeleste
July 1st, 2011, 11:39 PM
I've learned silk amino acids make me shed. Money isn't my only concern but it becomes a factor as my hair get longer. It takes more and more product with greater and greater moisturizing capabilities. I tried adding EVOO to the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and got it to hang a lot better. Before when my hair got this long I didn't know about co-washing or much about oiling, I thought I just had to buy the right conditioner. The major problem with stiff hair is getting a product that actually penetrates those hairs and adds flexibility. With the AOHR that means leaving it on awhile and wetting the hair to make sure its totally covered and moist. It just doesn't do me a lot of good to say this $30 product will work, I buy the product and it does not work on this problem. This has happened to me a lot. I have bought tons of products over the years. I think its easy to dismiss this as me not wanting to spend top dollar on a product. If you have this hair type, if you've encountered two maybe three conditioners in say a hundred that truly worked on this problem, recommend away. If you don't have this hair type then what is great for you will probably do very little for my problem. The EVOO and honey just looks the most promising so far because the poster actually has this hair type and EVOO alone seemed to enhance my conditioner.

Issmene
July 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM
I think I know what you mean. My hair has the same, it just doesn't flow nicely and it's just stiff. In my case it is because my hair is coarse. I can't get rid of it completely, but some drops (well, a lot of drops actually, lol) of EVOO after washing and some aloe vera gel every morning seems to really help :)

dmarie16
July 2nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
I've learned silk amino acids make me shed. Money isn't my only concern but it becomes a factor as my hair get longer. It takes more and more product with greater and greater moisturizing capabilities. I tried adding EVOO to the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and got it to hang a lot better. Before when my hair got this long I didn't know about co-washing or much about oiling, I thought I just had to buy the right conditioner. The major problem with stiff hair is getting a product that actually penetrates those hairs and adds flexibility. With the AOHR that means leaving it on awhile and wetting the hair to make sure its totally covered and moist. It just doesn't do me a lot of good to say this $30 product will work, I buy the product and it does not work on this problem. This has happened to me a lot. I have bought tons of products over the years. I think its easy to dismiss this as me not wanting to spend top dollar on a product. If you have this hair type, if you've encountered two maybe three conditioners in say a hundred that truly worked on this problem, recommend away. If you don't have this hair type then what is great for you will probably do very little for my problem. The EVOO and honey just looks the most promising so far because the poster actually has this hair type and EVOO alone seemed to enhance my conditioner.

Completely understand. I didn't mean to imply that money was your ONLY concern and I apologize if that is how my reply sounded. :o I only meant before you spend wasted money on new "miracle" cures to work your way through what you already have available. Maybe combining things in different ways until your hair is happy. I also cannot rationalize spending excess on products if something else works just as well if not better for less $$$$. Best of luck to you!

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
Exactly! Plus as I learn more about oils and recipes I feel more in control. Honey and EVOO I could always find. I have no way to control whether or not a company keeps a formula the same or stays in business. I am going to work my way threw oils and butters and ingredients that are easiest and cheapest to get before getting caught up buying the more expensive things. I decided I want to see where terminal is for my colored hair worn down. Before when my hair got to this stage in length, I gave up on it. I am determined to learn more this time around!

PrincessBlondie
July 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM

Ojon oil has been scientifically proven to penetrate the hair shaft ;) And the lipids soften up the hair strands. My last word on the matter. If this hair problem gets you down, surely paying £40 (which lasts upto 6 months). If you pm me your address I will send you a sample to try.

A plaster won't help a wound that needs stitches. If you catch my drift.

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Look, lots of oils are proven to penetrate the hair shaft. Show me a chemical breakdown of American Palm Oil. Show me this oil in a test side by side with African Palm Oil and Red Palm Oil. Oil is great! There are many great oils. I just did a pre-wash treatment with EVOO and Honey, washed with .74 cent Vo5(I ran out of Nourish Spa:(), rinsed, and used a little Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. My hair is more flexible. My hair is hanging nicely. I haven't even gotten to test this over night yet but it seems to work very well. I spent under $13 at Walmart and I have enough to last me awhile. I believe what is so special about $11 an oz oil is the ability to monopolize and market it. I don't buy De Beers' diamonds either. I'm not saying the product does not work. I'm not saying it is a bad product. I am simply saying it is not 55 times as good as coconut oil for the hair and therefore I do not wish to pay $11 an oz for it when there are so many other options available. You haven't tried washing with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner, and conditioning with AOHR. You don't know Ojon is better than what I use for my hair. You know it costs more, you know you like it. Have you ever tried EVOO and Honey? How do you know that wouldn't make your hair feel as good as Ojon? At a $13 investment rather than say a $33 investment, you could find out!:D Would you rather pay under a dollar an oz for a good conditioner? How about protein treatments. I bought Nexus Hair Emergencee and couldn't see any difference between it and Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor. Seriously, don't knock products you haven't tried. And don't dismiss a product if you haven't tried using it a few different ways. And just because something is great for my hair doesn't mean it'll be great for yours. That's why there are so many different products.

RitaPG
July 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Why do I have a feeling that Ojon is being shamelessly advertised in here? The OP has already mentioned that it's not an option :shrug:
RitaCeleste I hope you find a solution for your hair. I have the same issue, it's annoying :flower:

McFearless
July 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Rita your hair is freaking beautiful what are you complaining about. :p

RitaPG
July 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Was that for me or for the OP?
btw I love your signature, it's one of my goals too :rollin:
Edit: Not signature, the line under your username

McFearless
July 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Was that for me or for the OP?
btw I love your signature, it's one of my goals too :rollin:
Edit: Not signature, the line under your username

Woah weird. I was talking about the OP but I'm too lazy to type out RitaCeleste. I didn't notice two Ritas! The same goes for you too, RitaPG. You've got nothing to complain about my friend. :cool::cool: See you at fart length.:p

RitaPG
July 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Woah weird. I was talking about the OP but I'm too lazy to type out RitaCeleste. I didn't notice two Ritas! The same goes for you too, RitaPG. You've got nothing to complain about my friend. :cool::cool: See you at fart length.:p
Well, we're not complaining about the awesomeness, we're complaining about stiff, stick straight ends.
We got horny hair :spitting:

McFearless
July 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Well, we're not complaining about the awesomeness, we're complaining about stiff, stick straight ends.
We got horny hair :spitting:
Thats my point silly. With hair like that you've got nothing to complain about. I don't see anything wrong, its perfect. (ok maybe i understand what you mean about stiff ends but shh.)

LOL my halo hairs have a hard on.

celebriangel
July 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
As for the Ojon oil:

Ingredients
Elaeis Oleifera (American Palm Oil), Perfume (Fragrance), Citronellol, Lecithin, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Prunus Africana (Prunus Africana Bark Extract), Serenoa Serrulata (Serenoa Serrulata Extract)

I don't see this being any different from any other type of oil. And it has too much extra stuff in it (that I either don't want or could get cheaper), for example Lecithin is a major component of egg yolks, Tocopherol is basically vitamin E (this is a simplification - see wiki), and better eaten than put on hair.

It sounds like this is just your hair type - very coarse - and in some ways you might be better off "damaging" it - which is probably why your coloured hair is better off than virgin hair. So, personally, I'd avoid coconut oil, unless protein treatments have helped you in the past (coconut oil prevents protein loss, and some protein sensitive LHCers have had trouble because of this).

Igor - who also has coarse hair - says that her hair responds well to cholesterol treatments. I hope the EVOO and honey are working well - could you combine them with Aloe Vera Gel and maybe a little conditioner to form an oil and honey-heavy approximate SMT? I know SMTs make my hair soft, and if EVOO and honey are already working perhaps trialling some AVG into the mix with or without the conditioner would be even better?

Perhaps warming the mix in the microwave would help too - I always feel my treatments work better and penetrate more if they are warm - or you could slap on the plastic wrap and blow dry your head to warm it up.

Best of luck!

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
lol! Thanks! The olive oil and honey looks pretty good to me so far. I just gotta hold back and leave it in all night not run wash it out after an hour to see how it did. AOHR does help it hang better some too. My hair needed the babying, I've been real bad to it this summer. I didn't do a routine, I tried to leave half my stuff at home. I used the kids' stuff. I colored it some more. I'd just colored it and brushed when this pic was taken. I'm greatly defluffed at least.

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
have you tried any types oil to see if you can get the results you want with oil.

Artsy
July 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have been lucky to try a sample of that ojon oil for free and it didn't do much for stifness. It wasn't even that great for my tangles, and I had to follow up with something else. This product is not guearanteed to work anyway.
I have the same problem, my hair is shiny, not frizzy anymore, but it doesn't drape at all. I think this is a common problem with coarse hair.
I had pretty good results with coconut oil shampoo and used it for few month. However coconut oil builds up on me making my ends crunchy even when mixed with shampoo. Vinegar rinses improve the softness as well, but nothing incredible. I had amazing results after I was colouring with indigo and made the paste with club soda. It was incredible. I have tried a simple club soda soak, and it was not the same. Club soda + condish was not the same either. I was thinking may be the herb did not leave much behind, but coated the hair very well. I cannot repeat the results anymore. May be someone will have ideas of some other herbs to try with club soda.

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
have you tried any types oil to see if you can get the results you want with oil.

So far I think I've tried coconut oil every way I can think of. I've used Meadow foam seed oil but just to lightly oil my hair when its dry. I've used olive oil in the past. This is the first time I used it with the Honey. Honey is new. I ordered shea butter. Aloe, shea butter, wheat germ oil, and jojoba oil are in that conditioner that helps the stiffness. I just don't know which thing is doing it yet.

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM

lol, It is strong and it grows and you wouldn't believe how much coloring it stands up to. If only it would behave, a little, on special occasions, once a month??? Thanks! I would like for it to just hang there, limp and totally beaten into submission, just once. Is that too much to ask?:D

RitaCeleste
July 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
As for the Ojon oil:

Ingredients
Elaeis Oleifera (American Palm Oil), Perfume (Fragrance), Citronellol, Lecithin, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Prunus Africana (Prunus Africana Bark Extract), Serenoa Serrulata (Serenoa Serrulata Extract)

I don't see this being any different from any other type of oil. And it has too much extra stuff in it (that I either don't want or could get cheaper), for example Lecithin is a major component of egg yolks, Tocopherol is basically vitamin E (this is a simplification - see wiki), and better eaten than put on hair.

It sounds like this is just your hair type - very coarse - and in some ways you might be better off "damaging" it - which is probably why your coloured hair is better off than virgin hair. So, personally, I'd avoid coconut oil, unless protein treatments have helped you in the past (coconut oil prevents protein loss, and some protein sensitive LHCers have had trouble because of this).

Igor - who also has coarse hair - says that her hair responds well to cholesterol treatments. I hope the EVOO and honey are working well - could you combine them with Aloe Vera Gel and maybe a little conditioner to form an oil and honey-heavy approximate SMT? I know SMTs make my hair soft, and if EVOO and honey are already working perhaps trialling some AVG into the mix with or without the conditioner would be even better?

Perhaps warming the mix in the microwave would help too - I always feel my treatments work better and penetrate more if they are warm - or you could slap on the plastic wrap and blow dry your head to warm it up.

Best of luck!
Aloe gel is next on my shopping list! My sister has the AVG so I can try out hers. I noticed my hair got really dried out after using a color stripper and I panicked and started using protein on it. It seemed smoother after the treatment so I worked some in. Actually it put more stiffness back in while my hair feels silky. I've colored since then and my hair isn't breaking and seems strong when I test it. Maybe it was just overly dry and I didn't need the protein treatment part?
I really couldn't find any science that explained why American Palm oil should cost $11 per oz. I looked, I visited the website, I read. As Artsy said it didn't do much for her and it isn't guaranteed to work or anything. I mean I looked, I now know a company is breeding hybrids of American and African palms to make cooking oil from. I looked and looked. My hair feels great with coconut oil, even better with olive oil. I have seen about 3 conditioners that added a little flex to it in my whole life. (One was for swimmers, one was in Walmart for a few months and disappeared and now AOHR )Its possible, but not bloody likely that I'm missing out.

PrincessBlondie
July 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Why do I have a feeling that Ojon is being shamelessly advertised in here? The OP has already mentioned that it's not an option :shrug:
RitaCeleste I hope you find a solution for your hair. I have the same issue, it's annoying :flower:

Well, I LOVE Ojon....ALL their products actually (except the hairspray, make my fine hair too stiff). And I won't apologise for that :p

Advertised? Really? Its just my opinion...I don't see people being accussed of advertising when they mention ****ty brands like pantene and VO5 :p

And it was a scrapping out my own tub that I was going to send Rita for free to try, not an "offical" sample. Just a wee bit in cling film for her to try.

And its the specific quantites/measurements and chemistry that makes a product truely magical. Yes, we could all just stick eggs, coconut oil and mago in our hair, but the results ain't as good! ;) Especially for folk with damaged hair, those of you lucky enough to have hair in pretty good nick might not feel the benefit. But I do....

RitaCeleste
July 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
If Ojon was the sun moon and stars for hair, I still don't have the money to buy that. I would have to go without food to afford those products in the quantities it would take. Doesn't mater how great it is, can I be any clearer? I have children and they must come first, I will not spend over a certain amount on myself, my haircare, my food, my clothes. No one will go hungry in my house, including me, for haircare products. There will be money to buy my children things like art supplies. I won't toss my kids junk to play with while I go around spending $11 an oz on oil for my hair. I will color my hair myself. I will cut my hair myself, I will wear recycled(think salvation army) clothes. Would you choose Ojon and hair salons over food? You do not seem seem to understand that this is what you keep trying to get me to do. Its kinda cruel to go on and on about how great a product I can't really afford is and how it will solve all my problems. Tell you what, I promise that buying some Ojon will the first thing I do when I win lotto!

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's exactly what I mean, 4 out of your 5 comments are about how awesome that product is, after the OP clearly stated that she cannot afford that product.
Saying that "we could all just stick eggs, coconut oil and mago in our hair, but the results ain't as good" as what you're using, not only feels demeaning to those that choose a more natural approach to haircare, it also sounds like you're advertising.
Offering to send a sample won't solve anything, unless you are offering RitaCeleste a whole bottle of it, it's just cruel the way you go on about how awesome that thing is.

RitaCeleste
July 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
She didn't mean to be. Maybe she missed the part where I disclosed my income? Or more likely comes from affluence and just didn't understand what those numbers translate to in buying power. I got blunt because I thought she wasn't really understanding that I have limits not determined by product awesomeness. lol

RitaCeleste
July 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
The Shea Butter got here. I didn't leave it on too long. It is hard and doesn't melt in my hands like coconut. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it. I tried rubbing my hands together to melt it and put it on my hair. My hands are very soft, not sure my hair fared as well. I'm really not sure if something is wrong with this stuff, I have to nuke it to get to it to melt. As far as stiffness goes, my hair seemed pretty unaffected. All in all felt very heavy on my hair but co-washed out pretty easily. I'm gonna save this for recipes that call for it, or toss it if I find out it is not suppose to be like this.

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Shea butter is like that, very hard to melt. I can't even use it in winter.
I find shea butter awesome to coat my hair when I braid it, escpecially on the ends, it soaks up nicely and doesn't look greasy or sticky. But overall it is not a very easy product.
A good way to use it, is to whip it with a mixer. Whipping it forms air bubbles and gives it the consistency of a mousse. It is usually advised to mix it with vit E oil, it acts as a preservative and makes it last longer. Thre are lots of recipes on youtube, that use shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil - and pretty much everything you can think of :p they are usually made by- and for people with natural 4b hair texture, but I've tried it myself and it worked great :)
I learned it from this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ll7gpU7AGQ&feature=related but there are many more options on youtube, make sure to check it out
Hope that helps ^^'

EDIT: Sorry, I sent the wrong video, that one up there is kinda confusing.
This one is simpler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwvle1Qjew&feature=related

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Oh! I forgot to add, you don't really need to warm it up to melt, it still mixes nicely if it's solid.

RitaCeleste
July 3rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
If it will work on 4b hair, it will work on mine. I have a few of those myself. I'm more nervous of trying a product marketed for white hair than black hair types. That looks fun to make. I'm gonna play around with what I have gathered up so far. I got in the pool and got salt water in it. (And it was doing so good before that.) Craig is off for the holidays and so we've been doing family stuff. We went to an amusement park and it actually blew around. Flex is not good in every situation! lol If they see my hair in bag again, they might try to shave me. I still took care of it from the neck down in the sink today but I was taking some flack over messing with it.

RitaCeleste
July 3rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
Who was I kidding? I'm back in a baggy. I saw a youtube video for a EVOO Hony and Conditioner mix and had to go mix up some stuff. I used Honey, EVOO, Nourish Spa Conditioner and AOHR conditioner. I'm not sure it had enough honey and EVOO but it went on so much better and didn't feel as sticky. I used a lot less honey and EVOO, and the amount of conditioner was less than I use in the shower too. I didn't have quite enough to do my scalp heavily so more EVOO and Honey next time. The stuff I used isn't the most expensive stuff, but it really seems to be doing a lot for my hair. I am definitely getting more bang for my buck with it.

Lianna
July 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I agree with what you said about the Ojon, OP. To me, some things just aren't worthed (having the money or not).

Coconut oil does make some people's hair hard, I'd advise trying to live without it a bit (seems like you have, not sure). Coarse hair won't be as soft as some finies but there's things you can do (and already have done from your posts). When I bleach my hair (usually when I need to take out brown color), it does get stiffer, what helps me is the way I use olive oil, which is a very heavy oiling on wet (but not dripping) hair, several days in a week. After a week is very very soft, sometimes even over moisturized (which I like to a degree). I do keep my protein/moisture balance though.

Shea butter really is like that, it's very hard to apply for me, even after melted with some oils, and hot weather. It's too heavy as a leave-in for me. It's hard to get it everywhere when dealing with thick hair, it just doesn't spread nicely. It's interesting that a tiny bit feels heavy on me, when I can easily use 2 tps of olive oil and don't have greasy looking hair (when applied in dry hair, not damp, damp we gotta be careful when using as leave in).

Anyway, I do recommend the damp heavy oiling. Also, I always used a wide tooth comb, but the tangle teezer made my hair really soft, I was stunned. It's way easier than a BBB for me, because I don't need to have 10+ sections to work. I like things simple: wash, oil, comb, bun (or half-up).

Good luck, I think your hair looks so beautiful in your avatar and I love the color. :)

sycamoreboutiqu
July 4th, 2011, 01:55 AM
RitaCeleste

Did you try the Coconut Oil shampoo method yet ?

I too have the issue of hair that won't drape, or swing or swoosh. It is one big heavy, wavy mass and moves as such. But - the oil shampoo made a difference. A BIG difference.

I think we have the same hair type, and even the same length and color actually, and this was the one thing I have tried this past year that actually made my hair feel like it belongs on a different head. I am loving it.

The only other thing that gave me nearly this same effect was the SMT . But that was temporary.

So I am a believer. I do the Coconut Oil ( and I am using Manoi de Tahiti, the Gardenia fragranced kind) shampoo 3 times in a row , then do a CO the 4th week. I mix 1 part oil to 3 parts diluted shampoo and it is working like a charm. This is just enough oil for the length but no oily scalp (maybe put a small squirt extra oil for the very end lengths). In fact my scalp issues are improving since I started this.

PS - I CO or CWC with either African Black Soap or Castille - no cones - no heat - no styling products - air dry - comb infrequently and wear updos, braids 95% of the time.

Up until recently I was wishing I could occasionally wear my hair down but the tangling and just overall messy look was a reason not to.

Try it and see what you think.

sycamoreboutiqu
July 4th, 2011, 01:58 AM
PS - I make body products and work with raw shea all the time (did you get the raw, it is either beige or yellow in color - not white).

I say save the shea butter for your skin, you will get far more benefit out of it that way. Melt a small amount of it and add it to the lotion you use (warm that slightly to get it to blend) - makes a big difference in those of us with dry skin - especially in winter. Makes a good cuticle and heel balm too - but - incredibly I have found the coconut oil to be even more beneficial for cracked dry heels.

PrincessBlondie
July 4th, 2011, 05:11 AM
If Ojon was the sun moon and stars for hair, I still don't have the money to buy that. I would have to go without food to afford those products in the quantities it would take. Doesn't mater how great it is, can I be any clearer? I have children and they must come first, I will not spend over a certain amount on myself, my haircare, my food, my clothes. No one will go hungry in my house, including me, for haircare products. There will be money to buy my children things like art supplies. I won't toss my kids junk to play with while I go around spending $11 an oz on oil for my hair. I will color my hair myself. I will cut my hair myself, I will wear recycled(think salvation army) clothes. Would you choose Ojon and hair salons over food? You do not seem seem to understand that this is what you keep trying to get me to do. Its kinda cruel to go on and on about how great a product I can't really afford is and how it will solve all my problems. Tell you what, I promise that buying some Ojon will the first thing I do when I win lotto!

That's exactly what I mean, 4 out of your 5 comments are about how awesome that product is, after the OP clearly stated that she cannot afford that product.
Saying that "we could all just stick eggs, coconut oil and mago in our hair, but the results ain't as good" as what you're using, not only feels demeaning to those that choose a more natural approach to haircare, it also sounds like you're advertising.
Offering to send a sample won't solve anything, unless you are offering RitaCeleste a whole bottle of it, it's just cruel the way you go on about how awesome that thing is.

Okay, I am cruel for trying to help, and send a sample :confused:

At birthdays and christmas time, Ojon makes a great gift from your loved ones! ;)

I have waist length hair, and a tub lasts 6 months. I also buy Pure Coconut oil from health food stores, but its nowhere near as good.

FYI there is only TWO oils that penetrate the cuticle and get into the cortex (feed the hair shaft), Coconut oil and the Ojon nut oil. A fact confirmed by trichologists'. Olive oil and other oils just coat the hair (a bit like silicone) and just protect and provide slip.

My last word on the matter. :)

IndigoAsh
July 4th, 2011, 06:52 AM
This is so funny. I have been complaining about this issue myself. I had used the swimming pool at my sister-in-laws and showered at her house. She buys the Herbal Essence Color Me Happy conditioner and after having used it that day I ran out and bought myself some. My ends tend to 'point' outward, and only a extremely heavy oiling with coconut oil(which just looks kind of gross anyway) can cure it usually. Also I suggest the Skala Shea Butter hair mask. I use it as a regular conditioner on my hair ends. I do a light oiling after my hair has dried and it's great. I hate stiff ends a lot. I've never had so many compliments on my hair. There was a lady petting me in line at a restaurant last week.

UltraBella
July 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Okay, I am cruel for trying to help, and send a sample :confused:

At birthdays and christmas time, Ojon makes a great gift from your loved ones! ;)

I have waist length hair, and a tub lasts 6 months. I also buy Pure Coconut oil from health food stores, but its nowhere near as good.

FYI there is only TWO oils that penetrate the cuticle and get into the cortex (feed the hair shaft), Coconut oil and the Ojon nut oil. A fact confirmed by trichologists'. Olive oil and other oils just coat the hair (a bit like silicone) and just protect and provide slip.

My last word on the matter. :)

From my professional point if view, I think the Ojon products are highy over-rated and mediocre. And any product that has fragrance listed as the second ingredient gets a huge thumbs down from me. The smell is absolutely awful, in my opinion. You can find plenty of bad reviews for the Ojon products online as well. Here is one that I enjoyed reading : http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/63012/product_review_ojon_restorative_hair.html?cat=69

I get it, you *love* it, but the OP has stated several times that she is not interested, so there is no reason to keep suggesting it. It was sweet of you to offer to send a sample, and I am glad you have found a product you enjoy so much. I personally did not enjoy it and returned it to Sephora.

xoxophelia
July 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Just a warning though.. SMTs actually make my hair more stiff. I'm not sure what it is, but I think the aloe vera forms a sort of coating that makes my hair more sturdy instead of limp. I saw it work very well on a person with F/M hair but on me.. ehhhh not so much. It did give some shine though.

As far as the EVOO/honey goes I basically use maybe 1-2 tablespoons honey and enough EVOO to drench my hair to get the best results. I sometimes mix in just enough of the Trader Joe's Nourishing Spa Conditioner to thicken up the mixture and blend it as well as I can so that it goes on more or less evenly.

I have Ojon as well and can vouch for this hair type EVOO does more good for flop. I will use a little bit of the Jojoba oil after washing sometimes for a little extra shine but it isn't heavy enough for me to use in a deep conditioning treatment. EVOO on the other hand is way too easy for me to over apply and it is more "sticky" so it isn't so good to use when I don't plan on rinsing it out.

Lately though I have been thinking about getting a spray bottle and mixing in a formula of EVOO, jojoba oil (found a cheaper liquid option), water, and a little conditioner. It would be mostly water but I think it would help to be able to get a very light misting on a daily basis.

UltraBella
July 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I have been reading this thread with interest because of my own coarse hair issues. I had quit trying new concoctions, so maybe I will experiment with a few of the suggestions here. The only thing that gets my hair to lay nicely is warm steam. I use my Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter whenever I need soft, bendable, manageable hair.

Artsy
July 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have been reading this thread with interest because of my own coarse hair issues. I had quit trying new concoctions, so maybe I will experiment with a few of the suggestions here. The only thing that gets my hair to lay nicely is warm steam. I use my Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter whenever I need soft, bendable, manageable hair.

I find that I have a much nicer looking hair after it is pressed with some warm heat, often I just straighten mine with my palms and it is enough to smooth it. However I know that coare hair can feel very soft, I had it once, but the feeling was gone after one wash:( So I am really hoping someone will have a solution:)

Toadstool
July 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Mine is similar, I think it's just a coarse hair issue?

schweedie
July 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Mine is similar, I think it's just a coarse hair issue?
Definitely not; my hair is fine/medium and behaves in the same way. My hairdresser suggested that it was a straight hair issue, but since the OP is wavy, that doesn't seem to be the case either. I guess some people's hair just acts this way, regardless of its classification!

RitaCeleste
July 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Just a warning though.. SMTs actually make my hair more stiff. I'm not sure what it is, but I think the aloe vera forms a sort of coating that makes my hair more sturdy instead of limp. I saw it work very well on a person with F/M hair but on me.. ehhhh not so much. It did give some shine though.

As far as the EVOO/honey goes I basically use maybe 1-2 tablespoons honey and enough EVOO to drench my hair to get the best results. I sometimes mix in just enough of the Trader Joe's Nourishing Spa Conditioner to thicken up the mixture and blend it as well as I can so that it goes on more or less evenly.

I have Ojon as well and can vouch for this hair type EVOO does more good for flop. I will use a little bit of the Jojoba oil after washing sometimes for a little extra shine but it isn't heavy enough for me to use in a deep conditioning treatment. EVOO on the other hand is way too easy for me to over apply and it is more "sticky" so it isn't so good to use when I don't plan on rinsing it out.

Lately though I have been thinking about getting a spray bottle and mixing in a formula of EVOO, jojoba oil (found a cheaper liquid option), water, and a little conditioner. It would be mostly water but I think it would help to be able to get a very light misting on a daily basis.

Thanks! I'm glad you told me how you mix it. I didn't add enough olive oil last time, and the first time I over did it. The olive oil has seemed to help the most with the stiff factor. I'm going to keep playing with it until I get it right. Olive oil does penetrate and there are other oils besides coconut that penetrate. I'm a little sad for people who get taken in and misled like that. But as they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!":D Couldn't resist, I mean I really really couldn't help myself, ROFLMAO!!!!!

RitaCeleste
July 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Its kinda good to know I'm not alone in having this kind of hair. Maybe we can come back and post to this tread the things we find that help. Its really nice to have so many people contribute and share ideas on this topic. I still don't know if I can get floppy hair but I know I can make it lean enough not to stick out as bad and for that, I'm very, very grateful! As time and money allow, I'll keep trying out the stuff in this thread. I've learned so much here.

halfbakedtulip
July 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Oh I love you!!! I really thought I was alone here!!! What I hate is that my hair does not move the way others do. Chunks of it move ugh

RitaCeleste
July 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I put oil on my hair today and Craig said, "You know you are using things for black hair, right?" I keep telling him white people use this stuff too. I dare him to call me Cousin It again, I really do. You can't call someone Cousin It and tell me how the girl at work just got her hair straightened and how good it looks and act funny when I oil mine, you just can't! He has open mouth insert foot disease, I swear. He has the kind of hair I envy. Lucky fart. I found out when I got my hair pretty flexible the other day, it blew around in little pieces. It feels quite odd and makes a total mess of it. When its stiffer, it kinda just settles back into place easier.

RitaPG
July 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I put oil on my hair today and Craig said, "You know you are using things for black hair, right?" I keep telling him white people use this stuff too. I dare him to call me Cousin It again, I really do. You can't call someone Cousin It and tell me how the girl at work just got her hair straightened and how good it looks and act funny when I oil mine, you just can't! He has open mouth insert foot disease, I swear. He has the kind of hair I envy. Lucky fart. I found out when I got my hair pretty flexible the other day, it blew around in little pieces. It feels quite odd and makes a total mess of it. When its stiffer, it kinda just settles back into place easier.
Back then, I used to think coconut oil, castor oil and shea butter were black people stuff too. Now I can't live without them :crush:

tiny_teesha
July 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
i used cardamon (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26060) and it made my ends stop being stiff and crunchy. Perhaps you could try it? It's very moisturizing.

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks! I'm glad you told me how you mix it. I didn't add enough olive oil last time, and the first time I over did it. The olive oil has seemed to help the most with the stiff factor. I'm going to keep playing with it until I get it right. Olive oil does penetrate and there are other oils besides coconut that penetrate. I'm a little sad for people who get taken in and misled like that. But as they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted!":D Couldn't resist, I mean I really really couldn't help myself, ROFLMAO!!!!!

It works on MY hair, so how am I a fool? And there has recently been scientific proof with Ojon (until recently, they didn't know why it worked, they just knew it did). Its the "lipids" found in that specific nut oil, the lipids are the same type found in virgin hair.

I think you should "google" oils that have been scientifically proven to "penerate", before being so rude to me :( Olive oils molecules are too large to penetrate, whereas coconut oils molecules are smaller so can "get in there"...Its all in the science. ;)

RitaPG
July 5th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I think you should "google" oils that have been scientifically proven to "penerate", before being so rude to me :( Olive oils molecules are too large to penetrate, whereas coconut oils molecules are smaller so can "get in there"...Its all in the science. ;)
I think you should google olive oil, it also has penetrating properties.
We get it, you love Ojon, it works on your hair. Yet, your comments aren't being helpful to the OP at all.

http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html
http://theartofbeingfeminine.blogspot.com/2009/03/hair-conditioning-oil-that-actually.html
http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/97961-benefits-olive-oil-hair/

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM
From my professional point if view, I think the Ojon products are highy over-rated and mediocre. And any product that has fragrance listed as the second ingredient gets a huge thumbs down from me. The smell is absolutely awful, in my opinion. You can find plenty of bad reviews for the Ojon products online as well. Here is one that I enjoyed reading : http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/63012/product_review_ojon_restorative_hair.html?cat=69

I get it, you *love* it, but the OP has stated several times that she is not interested, so there is no reason to keep suggesting it. It was sweet of you to offer to send a sample, and I am glad you have found a product you enjoy so much. I personally did not enjoy it and returned it to Sephora.

I have read that review YEARS ago, and its ONE persons opinion. Even though she claims to know all about beauty products, she clearly doesn't....At the end she says stick Olive oil on hair instead, this is silly because olive oil doesn't penerate. She should have said coconut oil, its the closest thing to nut oil if she REALLY knew her stuff! ;)

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I think you should google olive oil, it also has penetrating properties.
We get it, you love Ojon, it works on your hair. Yet, your comments aren't being helpful to the OP at all.

http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html
http://theartofbeingfeminine.blogspot.com/2009/03/hair-conditioning-oil-that-actually.html
http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/97961-benefits-olive-oil-hair/

:rolleyes: You two are just getting down right rude now.

Try an offical Tricologist site (not just joe bloggs opinion sites), and you will see Oilve oils molecules are too large to penetrate, but coconut oil does.

mira-chan
July 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Same coarse wavy hair type here. Leave ins help with floppiness a bit as they add weight. VO5 conditioners (I favor the tea ones especially) can be used as a leave in, as they are a tad heavier than the standard leave in but still light.

A light coating of coconut or camellia oil post wash can help a bit but again that depends on the hair chemistry and knowing the exact point between stiff and oily for our hair.

Though as far as I know it will never behave like the much more flexible fine hair. The hair shaft is too thick to bend that easily.

RitaPG
July 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
:rolleyes: You two are just getting down right rude now.

Try an offical Tricologist site (not just joe bloggs opinion sites), and you will see Oilve oils molecules are too large to penetrate, but coconut oil does.
The only person being rude here is you. The OP has more than once clearly stated she cannot afford that product, and yet you insist on it. And this is not about which oils penetrate and which ones don't, this is about finding a product that helps make stiff hair soft, at an affordable price. And while everyone here tries to be helpful and offering all sorts of options, you keep talking about something the OP cannot buy.
I think it's great you found something that works for you, but it's not an option for RitaCeleste. That's all.

RitaCeleste
July 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yay! Blondie is rich! I'm not, poor me. I can't afford Ojon and I don't know the facts. I guess I should shave my head and save up for a wig? Blondie, you are why poorer people think there is lack of understanding in the rich towards what means to be in a lower income bracket. I have an autistic daughter so I am going to just pretend you can't comprehend how socially unacceptable you have been. I don't know what your social outlets are or what social groups you are surrounding yourself with. Online you will encounter some poorer people. They will not thank you for saying things like, "You get what you pay for." I didn't say such a thing about your salon treatment that didn't go right. I had manners, up to a point. I can honestly say I have not gotten what I paid for in the past from highend products. They maybe 10% better than a $3 bottle of product, yet cost ten times that. Perhaps if I were rich, I would pay all that money for nickel's worth of difference and not care. But I'm not, and I can't. You are trying to say only Ojon and coconut oil work, and this is simply a lie. You haven't helped me at all. You only made me feel bad about not being as rich and carefree as you. I'm not going to respond to your comments anymore, you've only succeeded in alienating me.

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am not RICH? Whatever made you think that? But some things are worth the money if I see results! :)

It is you who has said some pretty horrid things about me, and also made assumptions that are wrong. :(

All I did was stick up for a product I believe in. I don't see why I keep getting money and life rants from you? :confused:

Someone on here (hairdresser) recommended Redken anti-snap and Redken extreme cat to me, its expensive...But it is also helping my hair!

Likewise, I don't care to reply to you either! :poot:

Lianna
July 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
You are trying to say only Ojon and coconut oil work, and this is simply a lie.

Coconut oil doesn't even work for some (you can read reviews here/some threads). Makes my hair hard, crunchy, sticky, tangly, you name it, LOL...

There are 3 oils that penetrate the hair shaft: coconut, olive and avocado. No one needs to settle for coconut if they don't want.

xoxophelia
July 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I just wanted to say that I think all parties here mean well. I can understand how you take Blondie's comments but I do think she at least means to be helpful (and really loves Ojon!! :))

I do also wonder if this is "C" issue with hair or if it is something else as well. I see many asian women with what looks to be C hair and yet it still flows. These women do however have stick straight hair so it may be able to flow as a whole. If you think about it, waves would disturb the movement of the hair even further. Also, I notice that while my hair doesn't split very easily--and by my hair's history it would be justified in breaking into hundreds of splits--when my hair gets even more stiff I know it is damaged. Why is that?

Another thing that might help, I noticed recently when I CO with VO5 and really let it sit for a long time (10-15 minutes) it helps on the stiffness a bit.

RitaPG
July 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
*snipped*
Another thing that might help, I noticed recently when I CO with VO5 and really let it sit for a long time (10-15 minutes) it helps on the stiffness a bit.
Ooh, you're right! I completely forgot about that. When I leave conditioner on for a longer amount of time (either in CO washing or just a hairmask on the length) my hair does get softer.

Btw your bunny is so cute I just had a nosebleed :crush:

xoxophelia
July 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Lol thanks!

I wish I had a bunny for one moment of love. I wish I had a bunnnnyyy toniiiight.

Sorry lame reference <<

RitaPG
July 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Lol thanks!
I wish I had a bunny for one moment of love. I wish I had a bunnnnyyy toniiiight.
Sorry lame reference <<
I get it. That was actually hillarious :rollin:

UltraBella
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I have read that review YEARS ago, and its ONE persons opinion. Even though she claims to know all about beauty products, she clearly doesn't....At the end she says stick Olive oil on hair instead, this is silly because olive oil doesn't penerate. She should have said coconut oil, its the closest thing to nut oil if she REALLY knew her stuff! ;)

Well, frankly, I do know my stuff, and I agree with her evaluation. I would rather put olive oil on my hair any day.

RitaCeleste, I wish you luck with your stiff hair. I think I will just leave this thread alone now. I didn't appreciate PrincessBlondie's posts, but once you accused her of being "rich" I felt like the issue was suddenly much larger. I have no idea what her income is, but mine is significant. I am probably what you would consider "rich". So although your response was directed at her, it still bothered ME. Sometimes on this board being financially well off feels like a disease. I have never tried to push expensive products on someone, but I may suggest some from time to time. I also suggest cheap ones too, and you can't tell anything about a person by the products they use.

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Well, frankly, I do know my stuff, and I agree with her evaluation. I would rather put olive oil on my hair any day.

Her review says that it just plain old "american palm oil" that is used, she is wrong. So her review is wrong, and you need to use the treatment for several weeks (once weekly) to see the cumulative results. One use is not enough to do it justice. Though personally, I could see a big difference after my first use, probably because my hair is salon lightened, and just drank the stuff up. Been using Ojon for over 7 years now, my mum bought me my first tub as a christmas present (she is a QVC addict), and I thought WTF is this horrible smelling stuff all about, but I will always give something a chance. I have been hooked ever since. :) For years hairdressers always commented how well conditioned and undamaged my hair is for having such lightened hair, and for it to be at my waist with nearly zero split ends and shining! I tell them its OJON!

I have attached a link (also some reviews, good and bad):

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.224328.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

UltraBella
July 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Her review says that it just plain old "american palm oil" that is used, she is wrong. So her review is wrong, and you need to use the treatment for several weeks (once weekly) to see the cumulative results. One use is not enough to do it justice. Though personally, I could see a big difference after my first use, probably because my hair is salon lightened, and just drank the stuff up. Been using Ojon for over 7 years now, my mum bought me my first tub as a christmas present (she is a QVC addict), and I thought WTF is this horrible smelling stuff all about, but I will always give something a chance. I have been hooked ever since. :) For years hairdressers always commented how well conditioned and undamaged my hair is for having such lightened hair, and for it to be at my waist with nearly zero split ends and shining! I tell them its OJON!

I have attached a link (also some reviews, good and bad):

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.224328.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

I just pulled this off the Sephora website and compared it to the ingredients list on Amazon and Ulta, plus what RitaPG posted earlier. They are identical.

INGREDIENTS : Oleifera (American Palm Oil), Perfume (Fragrance), Citronellol, Lecithin, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Prunus Africana (Prunus Africana Bark Extract), Serenoa Serrulata (Serenoa Serrulata Extract)

How exactly can American Palm Oil come from a rain forrest in the Amazon jungle ?? :shrug:

Actually, please don't answer that. No one wants to know. Either way, you have been told over and over that the OP does NOT wish to try it. What part of that do you not understand ???

BabyRay33
July 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have been reading this thread with interest because I too sometimes get really stiff, unmanageable, and I also wanted to offer a suggestion for the cholesterol treatments that are pretty inexpensive, and they help me.

Today, since it is one of those stiff hair days- i'm thinking I'm going to mix up some concoction of SMT plus cholesterol when I get home.

I also have noticed that when I don't use cones I get this type of hair...then when I clarify and then add the cones back...it works...

Maybe we can get back to the topic at hand...we don't need to get into an economic status arguement do we? :confused:

Lets try some...:cheese:

PrincessBlondie
July 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I just pulled this off the Sephora website and compared it to the ingredients list on Amazon and Ulta, plus what RitaPG posted earlier. They are identical.

INGREDIENTS : Oleifera (American Palm Oil), Perfume (Fragrance), Citronellol, Lecithin, Linalool, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Prunus Africana (Prunus Africana Bark Extract), Serenoa Serrulata (Serenoa Serrulata Extract)

How exactly can American Palm Oil come from a rain forrest in the Amazon jungle ?? :shrug:

Actually, please don't answer that. No one wants to know. Either way, you have been told over and over that the OP does NOT wish to try it. What part of that do you not understand ???

This is what it says is in the ingredients on my QVC link above:

Lightweight formula won't weigh your hair down
Rich in essential fatty acids omega 3, 6 and 9
Contains Ojon oil and Babassu oil from the Amazon
Not American palm oil! :)

You all keep slating it, and direct your answers to me, thus I reply. I realise the OP is not interested in Ojon, but when members "quote" me, it is my right to reply.

I respect your knowledge, I know you know your stuff. But that review you posted a link to, wasn't very accurate, and thats what I wanted to have opinion on. :) Nothing personal.

UltraBella
July 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thank you, BabyRay33, cheese makes everything better ! I may need a glass of wine to go with mine ;)

BrunetteBeauty
July 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
my hair is just like yours, as you described! I think it is just genetics, and it will never go away. There are some good things about our hair type though, like it can stay up very easily in a bun and looks great- no pieces sticking out! No matter what products I use, my hair either looks the same or looks greasy. I do not recommend ojon hair products(i think that is how you spell it) they just made my hair look greasy (although I liked the smell, sort of like cherry pipe tobacco LOL. pure virgin coconut oil works better for a deep conditioning treatment for my hair type.

RitaCeleste
July 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being rich or using products you like and can afford. It is okay work hard and do well in life! No one should ever feel like they have to apologize for that at all. I don't dislike people based on their income, that is silly. I didn't mean to make you feel that way. But really, to me it sounded like based on what she was saying that if you spend a lot of money, you'll have great hair and if you don't you won't. I didn't like it and don't agree with it.

RitaCeleste, I wish you luck with your stiff hair. I think I will just leave this thread alone now. I didn't appreciate PrincessBlondie's posts, but once you accused her of being "rich" I felt like the issue was suddenly much larger. I have no idea what her income is, but mine is significant. I am probably what you would consider "rich". So although your response was directed at her, it still bothered ME. Sometimes on this board being financially well off feels like a disease. I have never tried to push expensive products on someone, but I may suggest some from time to time. I also suggest cheap ones too, and you can't tell anything about a person by the products they use.