PDA

View Full Version : Positive reactions to my haircare routine by a group of older women

MeganE
June 30th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I stayed with my grandma for a couple of days, and yesterday morning I went to her swim class with her. She's had knee replacement surgery and goes to a low-impact exercise class three times a week.

After the class, I took my hair down in the locker room, and two women complimented me on my hair. They liked the length and commented on how healthy it was. And they asked about my haircare routine.

I've read the posts about the occasional negative reactions when LHC members share their routine with others, so I was well prepared to answer their questions. Rather than saying "I don't use shampoo very often," I said instead that, "I've found conditioner can remove oils from your scalp." They seemed very surprised to hear that one, but in a positive way.

I also told them I use coconut oil regularly on the ends, and described the oiling process in some detail. They accepted that with no remarks about the uncleanliness of oils. I told them I've been doing my own haircuts for years, and that I generally try to be gentle with my hair to reduce damage.

And not only were they supportive, a few other women joined the discussion to chime in and share that they do their own haircuts as well. One woman had a pixie cut she said she'd been doing herself for years, because she "just didn't like" the way they do it at the salon.

Another woman had lovely snow white BSL hair that she said hadn't been cut by a professional since she was 25 years old. (Most of the women in the exercise class had been seniors for some time :).) I asked her how she cut it, and she described Feye's method.

I thought it was interesting that here was a pocket of women who'd had enough disappointments at the salon and simply ditched it altogether, deciding to make themselves happy by doing their own hair however they wanted. It was really great talking to them!

I didn't mention LHC, because I haven't quite worked out the right way to say, "I'm so much into my hair that I have found a little community of other people who love long hair just as much as I do, and we share great hair care tips all day long."

I may be comfortable with sharing my routine, but I still don't know if the world is ready to hear about the depth of my obsession wit---ahem! my commitment to my hair.

:cheese:

Anybody have tips for how to talk about LHC in a safe way?

pepperminttea
June 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
That's great, I'm glad they were so receptive. :) I've no idea of how to mention LHC without giving myself away as a 'longhaired weirdo' either, but I'll be looking forward to reading everyone's ideas. :D

Kyaatje
June 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM
That is an easy one for me : I work in a Lush shop, so when I'm talking to people I can explain it by 'workrelated research' grin :p

Messyhair
June 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hmm... I do have people come into the pharmacy looking for treatments to halt thinning hair... maybe I can explain LHC off as a work-related resource, too. :p

Intransigentia
June 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Everybody thinks I'm weird anyway, so if I say I participate on an internet message board about hair, it's just another odd thing I do and who knows what will be next.

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I'm taking some flack about my obsession with haircare forums. I'm only active on this one but if I need a product review, I search on different forums too. I really want to tell people about the products that work good on me. I really want our local stores to carry those products. I want to check before buying. I'm not social in real life, and my family doesn't always get it. They are quick to avoid salons, not so quick to try anything new. We have a wide range of hair types so their product suggestions rarely help out. My family can be annoying enough, I'm rather blessed not to have a larger social circle.

Sundial
June 30th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I logged in to show my sister pictures of the Senco braid and she went "you mean there are groups for people who want long hair and they even set up a community for this?" and she looked a little shocked :o Next time I will be sure to save pictures in a separate file before I show them to anyone else. Seeing a long hair community forum might be too overwhelming for regular folks.

spitfire511
June 30th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Everybody thinks I'm weird anyway, so if I say I participate on an internet message board about hair, it's just another odd thing I do and who knows what will be next.

This^^ :)

I met one of my best friends on a board for long distance relationships over 10 years ago. :) I just flat out tell people there's a board I go to for people with long hair/who want long hair etc. If anyone has reacted negatively, I guess I'm too oblivious to notice. :D

Amber_Maiden
June 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
How nice!!! :)

rogue_psyche
June 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
What an adorable story. It isn't surprising that senior women would be more accepting of LHC methods; many members here have incorporated elements from their older relatives routines.

But when I tell my twenty-something acquaintances about CO wash or oiling, they look at me like I've lost my mind. They know nothing else but Cosmo hair advice.

PianoPlaye
June 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Reading this, I am delighted that you've found a realworld longhaircommunity! I also suddenly miss my aunt, who wore her hair up in a style that looked a little like a Gibson Girl but with a very slender braid holding the front & sides up & in place. She's not with us now, and I miss her - she loved to swim too.

Delila
June 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM
... they even set up a community for this?" and she looked a little shocked :o ...

I find her response a bit naive, and rather touching, in a good way.

It's nice to know there are still people in the world who can actually be shocked by something so relatively ordinary. :)

(Given that there are so many forums out there geared towards stuff that's truly creepy by any standard ... )

Madora
June 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you for sharing that delightful story! Not everyone out there is creeped out by people who want to - and have - beautiful, well kept hair!!

I would have no trouble informing the ladies that you belong to a forum that helps people understand their hair, and helps them to keep it in tip top condition.

I'd jump at the chance to join a group with such worthy objectives!

Ermine
June 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Awesome! It would be cool to find some people who don't think it's weird to keep vinegar solutions and oils in the bathroom cabinet...

So far, whenever my odd hair routine comes up in conversation, I tell them that LHC a great wealth of information and a nice distraction. If I can't cut, chemically dye, or heat style my hair, I may as well distract myself with alternative ways to keep my hair as healthy as possible, right? :)

vanity_acefake
June 30th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Aw that's lovely. It's great when people are receptive to new ideas.
Sounds like you met some wonderful older ladies.

WittyWordsmith
June 30th, 2011, 06:59 PM
It's interesting, because I never considered NOT mentioning LHC. Probably due to the fact that my husband's on several forums (motorcycles, off-roading, cigars, politics) and it just made sense to me that there was a forum for hair.

Plus, I can't pretend that I've just become some over-night genius about hair... when I'm talking to people I always tell them where I got my info so they can start learning for themselves!

If you're uncomfortable getting into it with people, maybe just say you've read about things online or that there's a place where you read all kinds of good advice.

There really ARE forums for EVERYTHING nowadays.... it shouldn't surprise anyone to hear of LHCs existence!

MeganE
June 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Plus, I can't pretend that I've just become some over-night genius about hair... when I'm talking to people I always tell them where I got my info so they can start learning for themselves!

This, exactly! I don't really expect most people to jump on LHC and grow out healthy and natural hair, but I always feel like I want to explain where I got this information from. I liked Madora's wording, I'm going to use it as a script. :D