PDA

View Full Version : Aloe gel: what do you use it for?

girlthursday
June 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hi all. :waves:

I know that in the past I've read all sorts of useful uses for the clear 100% aloe gel. I remember thinking "Oh how nice!" and sort of filing it to the back of my brain because I knew I couldn't go buy any new products.

But as luck would have it, I was cleaning out the cabinets yesterday and found a whole unopened bottle of it. Now I want to try some of those awesome things I read about but I've apparently misplaced the file, so to speak. I did a search for "aloe gel" but it seems like it's mentioned in high percentage of threads. I found the SMT thread and that is one of the things I want to try, but...

what else do you use aloe for?

Sundial
June 30th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Recipes that include aloe vera as an ingredient include the SMT and the Kimberlily's defrizz spray (you can use the search function for recipe details)

I tend to use aloe to style my bangs. I'll apply a quarter size amount to wet hair before I curl it and it usually lasts the whole day unless it is too humid

RuLueashk
June 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Heh. I found a full bottle in the cabinet yesterday, too! I thought I'd seen it before, & wanted to try it out on a halo of frizzies. Never used it on hair before. I just smoothed a little bit on, and it worked great!

lilalong
June 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I also use it as kind of a hair gel to deal with frizz.

KatiSasha
June 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I also use it a face mask - for moisture combine 2 parts aloe + 1 part honey, put it on clean face for 5 min, then gently wipe off with hot damp facecloth, rinse, and put your regular moisturiser on.

If you want to brighten your skin - add a tbsp of lemon juice to the mix above.
If you want to exfoliate add some amla powder.

I also use it to tame flyaways on dry hair, make sure you rub it in your hands first, so there's just a film of it on your hands.

ETA: make sure it doesn't have alcohol or benzocaine in it. :)

KellieKay
June 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I put it on my ends when I roll my hair.

lonestargal
June 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Face moisturizer during the summer when I just need something light...

Anje
June 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
My hubby shaves with it.

Belledandy
June 30th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Aloe is great! I apply some to my face before using a bit of grape seed oil at night. It makes bun waves and rag curls stay in if applied to damp hair, and is wonderful after shaving to reduce bumps.

prettykitty
June 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I mix a little with my coconut oil when I do my ends, it seems to help it absorb! Also use it mixed with moisturiser, in SMTS, and a little pump in nearly every one of my 'concoctions' :D

twilight_faerie
June 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I use it for SMTs...and, that's pretty much it. I tried using it as hair gel a few times, but it just pulls out my waves and generally makes my hair look stiff.

VitisVinifera
June 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I mix it with vitamin e oil for a face moisturizer, and after shaving. My hair is not a fan of aloe.

Cheeks1206
June 30th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I use it to slick back frizzies on updos.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
After I come out of the shower, I take some aloe vera gel and spread it in my hands, then smooth into my roots. This helps my roots (who like to dry super poofy) dry smoother and flatter. I also use aloe vera gel to moisturize/tone my face before I put on my normal face moisturizer. :D

kitcatsmeow
July 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
ooooh great thread! I just bought a small tube at the whole food store and have been using it after shaving my bikini area and it works great!

Really glad to hear it tames frizzies and can aid in styling as I'm growing out my bangs and they are to that point where pretty much no matter what I do they are sticking up and out all at the same time! Plus...they are wavy!!! :O

Jeni
July 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't use it in my hair because my hair HATES the stuff but I have found its a fantastic facial moisturizer for skin that is oily and like to break out.

My dad use to put it in his hair has kind of a moisturizer gel (he has more wavy/curl hair then I do...which isn't hard lol). I