PDA

View Full Version : Time limit on editing posts?

k_hepburn
March 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Can anybody tell me if there is a time limit on editing one's posts? I checked the FAQs but they merely state that the admin may impose such a time limit.

I'm asking since I'd like to keep updating the LHC Germany link collection by adding any new links coming in from other members to the starting post, but it would be a bit pointless to start that if I could only do it for a limited period of time.

So, I'd be greatful if someone knew the answer to this question

katharine

DavidN
March 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I am not sure if there is a limit on editing posts, K. Hepburn, but I have noticed that if you immediately edit for typos within a minute, there will be no "edited by" notice on the bottom of the post. If you only notice the typo after some time has elapsed, the notice will appear. As to being not being able to edit at all after a certain time, I am not aware of that. Perhaps a mod will pop in and explain.

Juliet's Silk
March 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Okay so I don't know how it is handled now - but with the old LHC, there was no such time limit. You could go back and edit your posts months or years later - I did it with my journal posts several times. I think that it is the same thing here - but for a definite answer, we might have to wait for modmins (heh I like that term) to chime in.

dancingbarefoot
March 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
As far as I know, there's no time limit. Setting editing limits is a capability that the system has, but we don't use it.

Leisha
March 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I am not sure if there is a limit on editing posts, K. Hepburn, but I have noticed that if you immediately edit for typos within a minute, there will be no "edited by" notice on the bottom of the post. If you only notice the typo after some time has elapsed, the notice will appear. As to being not being able to edit at all after a certain time, I am not aware of that. Perhaps a mod will pop in and explain.
Ooh I always wondered why sometimes it has the "edited by" notice at the bottom and sometimes it hasn't... :) thanks for explaining ;)

dancingbarefoot
March 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, there's a 30-second or so window for edits without the "edited by" notice showing up.

k_hepburn
March 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, everybody!

katharine