PDA

View Full Version : post-partum shed STILL making me crazy!

GlassWidow
June 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
With my youngest, my big post-partum shed happened after we stopped nursing. Most of the hair came out along the outer corners of my forehead, and it was weirdly shaped as it started to grow in, almost like it had been crimped with a hot iron. It started to be less noticible as it got closer to eyebrow length, but it still was a challenge to style them into the rest of my hair.

Today, I was feeling lazy and slicked my hair back into a pony tail. It looked neat on my way into work, but just a little while ago I caught a reflection of myself that made me gasp. It looked like the top layer of my hair had been singed, the way it was all fuzzy and frizzy! I gently picked up a few of the stray hairs to see where they traced back to, and then a few more. Every. Single. One. traced back to the post-partum shed areas. :rolleyes: They're all between 15 and 18 months old, I think, and just not long enough to blend with the rest of my hair yet. STILL.

The only thing I can think of to remedy this as they grow out is to cut the rest of my bangs/fringe. The shortest layer I have (other than the regrowth) is slightly longer than chin length at this point. The majority of the regrowth is about to my nose.

What would you do (or what have you done?)??

Raponsje
June 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm experiencing the same. On a windy day it looks like I have two sets of hair. One in a nice updo and one wispy pixie. For me a really cheap gelspray seems to work. It stays put without looking greasy. And I'm hoping that by being really annoyed with it, it will grow faster ;)

Lisa R
June 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I can empathise with you!

I lost so much of my hair it was quite alarming. I'm 16 months post-partum and my re-growth which is on top and underneath the canopy is still noticeable to me and it doesn't seem to have grown more than a few inches. I was in the wind today and eventually looked at my hair in the mirror and my re-growth on top was sticking out noticeably! The top re-growth has grown weirdly and when I wear my hair up it takes quite a bit of manouvering to cover the gap in my hair it makes. I do feel it has definitely got better. I don't worry about it as much anymore.

I wish you all the best as you deal with post-partum shed!

spitfire511
June 30th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Oh I feel this pain! The texture of the hair that has come back in after both of my post-partum sheds is so weird!

This last time I did cut a fringe - and immediately wished that I hadn't, because I don't like me with fringe. :( I got so frustrated with that and the heat damage that I did a major chop (almost BSL to chin) and am now growing - and still dealing with the weird texture hair :(

I just am basically 'sucking it up' and pulling it back, with gel if I have to in order for it to stay, until it's long enough to pull some of that texture out.

I'd do like Raponsje and get some cheap gel spray to slick it back with until it grows out - I'll never cut in that circumstance again!! (But that's just me!) :D

GlassWidow
June 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Spray gel! I'm nodding along, thinking "Of course!" However, I don't think I would have thought of it on my own, because it's not something I have ever used on a regular basis. How silly is that? :lol:

Thanks for all the commiseration! It's much appreciated. ;)

ladyceleste
August 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I had a major pp shed that lasted almost 9 months. I still feel like I am losing more than I should be at 19 months. I am still nursing my toddler though, so maybe that's why?

I lost so much hair that my waist length hair looked horrible. It was terrible thin and the texture of my hair got dry and yucky. I also moved to a house without a shower, and I just don't feel like I can get it clean in the tub. So I went and got mine chopped. I wanted bra strap, but the woman gave me much shorter.

Anyway, I think my hair texture in general has changed. It is curlier than before, and crunchier. I have a lot of regrowth too and I'm wearing hats. The gel idea is good too. I'll have to try it but I'm currently having a problem with my new hair texture. I used to have it a little before but it's worse now. My hair gets really flat at the top and crazy puffy and curly at the bottom. And then I have all these little new hairs flying all over the place.

I hope you found something that will work for you! I'm still looking. I'm thinking I might henna again and see if that just helps my hair overall.

GlassWidow
August 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM
henna helped a lot, and so did a trim! I'm planning on posting pictures soon. :)

ladyceleste
August 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Can't wait to see! Glad to hear the henna helped. I haven't hennaed in a long time. I might just have to order some and try it again.

dre
August 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Not only did I have post-partum shed after the birth of both my son and daughter, but now that I am going through peri-menopause the same type of shed is happening again!!:mad: I went to the dermatologist the first time because my hair got so thin and "layered" that I didn't know what was wrong...He asked me if I had any trauma in my life within the past three months - I said, " No trauma, but I did have a baby and he's three months old (ha, no trauma?!). That was the start of understanding the BIG part hormones play on our hair, skin, mood, etc. I started following LHC because I truly believe there is a ton of great information out there that only LHC can provide. Its like having an informed, wonderful bunch of great "hair friends"!! The gift of an infant is worth every hair we lose...but peri-menopause isn't a good reason:rolleyes:. My son is now 31 and my daughter is 28. Between them, I have 3 grandchildren under the age of 2. So why am "I" shedding?? Peri-menopause...hmm...something seems unfair!! :confused: