View Full Version : Two Week Rule?

Angel_Abby
June 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just got some horrible health news, and contemplating a HUGE change. I am not sure if its some sort of control issue, or what, but I am considering a cut!

And not to remove unhealthy growth or anything... just to CHANGE something about me.

I am at a little past APL. I can easily twist my hair into buns, braids, whatever. But coloring and cutting it all off is on my 'to do' for no other reason but to do something drastic.

I know some of you have been where I am at. I am probably going to lose all of my hair during treatment anyways. So I figure why not do something crazy to it now?

Any advice, or anything? Or just do it?

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Only go for the drastic "fun" change phase if you are absolutely SURE that the treatments will make you lose your hair. Cos, if you end up not losing it, you may regret the change.

I can understand the head space you are in right now, throwing caution to the wind!

Take a few days to think about it, don't rush head long into it!

Wishing you, your hair and your health all the best! x

battles
June 29th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear about this, and I hope all turns out well..

I think you should do what you would like, but think about it for a little while before making a decision.

Angel_Abby
June 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks!

I am really concerned that something is going to turn up and I will have been misdiagnosed- somehow- and all of it be for nothing.

I know that hair can grow back, but I would hate to end up regretting it!:o

lorelai2012
June 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
As with everyone else, give yourself some time to process before doing anything to your hair. You may wish to have some photos taken of your hair 'as is' before doing anything different. I must say that if I knew I was going to lose my hair, I'd probably bleach it, dye it pink, curl it one day, straighten the next, and generally do all the things we're not supposed to until it came time for cutting it short. I sincerely wish you all the best for your treatment.

GlassWidow
June 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry about your health news. :( I hope once you have time to process the information, your course of action is successful, and that you are well again soon.

If it were me, I would wait until I started treatment, and was reasonably sure that my hair was going to thin or fall out anyway, and then do something radical and defiant. I've always wanted pink hair; working in the corporate world, I can't really justify it, but I would do it if I were facing the loss of my hair, critics be darned.

sugar&nutmeg
June 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'd say, wait. You might be feeling a bit off-kilter right now, over your health news. And also feeling a bit powerless, as the medical 'machine' grinds into gear and you get swept up in that.

Cutting your hair now could end up being another shock, another blow you'd have to weather, at a time when you're perhaps already feeling a bit like you've had your legs kicked out from under you. I agree with doing something defiant and drastic (shaved head?) if it comes to that, but not now.

Unless you decide you want to, because ultimately...it's up to you!

IanB
June 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Impose the two week rule and hold on tight. I had radio therapy and a 6 month course of chemotherapy over 3 years ago and was fortunate in not loosing all my hair. It did thin out considertably and there was heavy shedding, but it has now grown back. I'm glad I did not have it all cut off when I was first diagnosed. But it's a very personal decision - just think about it for a while and very best wishes for a successful outcome. Ian

UltraBella
June 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
If I knew FOR SURE that treaments were going to make my hair fall out or even thin considerably, I would rock a Mohawk !!! With maybe a crazy color wreaked through it :)
I understand totally the need for change. But I do think it is best to make sure you are not jumping the gun and doing something drastic out of a need to distract yourself from whatever else is going on.

misspriss
June 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I would definitely say wait, at least two weeks. I cut my hair off very short when I got some very awful health news about a very close member of my family. I regret it terribly. Yes, the healthy situation is still here, and I liked the change for about a week or two after the cut, but I really regret it now.

Angel_Abby
June 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks so much for the perspectives!

I think I am going to concentrate on my diet for a few weeks: being healthy, nutritious and getting as strong as I can for the fight ahead.

I can always cut later, right?

:)

torrilin
June 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If you're thinking cancer... only some kinds of chemotherapy cause people to lose their hair. Not all cancer patients lose their hair.

My godfather died of cancer in 1996. He kept his hair. My pastor died the same year, and he also kept his hair. He'd been given 6 months to live around 1991. Two of my dad's closest friends developed cancer. One is still alive and still has all his hair. The other had lung cancer and died about two years ago... also with all his hair. Small sample size, but...

These men also were a good deal older than you (my pastor very nearly made it to 80, the retirement age for Catholic priests). The younger and stronger you are, the better. It gives the doctors a lot more choices in how they treat you, and you will handle the treatment better.

I'll think good thoughts for you!

Mesmerise
June 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I would agree with the others and say wait and find out whether or not you actually WILL lose your hair!

I would imagine that if you were to do something drastic to your hair, and then you didn't lose your hair...and yet you still had to deal with a serious illness, it could be added stress/depression etc. if you hate the hair cut you've given yourself!

If, on the other hand, your hair really WILL fall out or thin badly enough that you would have to cut it all off, then having some fun with it could be a nice distraction, and when you do lose your hair, it may be easier to cope with than losing the hair you've grown.

However, definitely wait until you know more!

I have known people with chemo who didn't lose their hair, although their hair did change and often thin out a bit. But my MIL never lost all her hair when she went through radiation and chemo.

monsterna
June 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM
You need to know for sure. My coworker said she was close to waist length, was diagnosed with leukemia and cut it all off to a bob. Then a couple days later got a call that there was a huge mix up and she was misdiagnosed. She wasn't pleased with losing all that hair for a miscalculation. So be extra sure.

gatodelasenora
June 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I acted before I had a chance to think, cut my hair to my chin, and totally regretted it (thought I was getting accepted to the Navy OCS program). To the point where I actually cried as I mourned my loss. :( Do something else to take your mind off of it completely, not just wait two weeks. You would probably be thinking about it the whole time.... Good luck with your condition. :)

Majorane
June 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
....and also, while thinking of getting your haircut yes/no or maybe if you want to change something else about your appearance: eat chocolate or something else you really like, go to a spa or do a crazy shopping spree and be as sweet as you can be for yourself as it sounds as if you might need that, too.

Do not cut of hair JUST for your condition; like said above many people will not loose their hair in chemotherapy or other treatments!
And good luck to you, of course.

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're not well ..

spidermom
June 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Don't not do something because you fear you may regret it. When all is said and done, I think we regret not doing the things we wanted to do at least as much as, if not more than, we regret doing things we shouldn't have done.

I would, however, advise taking a little time (2 weeks goes by fast) to weigh your diagnosis, treatment, and options. Best wishes for swift recovery.

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks so much for the perspectives!

I think I am going to concentrate on my diet for a few weeks: being healthy, nutritious and getting as strong as I can for the fight ahead.

I can always cut later, right?

:)

GOOD thinking .. you health is what will pull you thru ..

dragonette@1
June 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
For now, why not try something semi-drastic, like coloring with Manic Panic? That way, you get a fun thrill and a huge change, without doing a major cut.

I'll be sending you positive thoughts and prayers for a quick treatment and recovery.

Sabriel
June 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Think about it for a few days/weeks and do whatever will make you happy. I wish you the best of luck during your recovery, illness is a very difficult thing to go though <3

NativeGirl
June 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
When I was diagnosed with cancer, I was told that I'd probably lose my tailbone length hair during chemo due to the duration and intensity of my treatments. I held onto it until it started falling out in clumps. Even then, it was difficult for me to shave my head. I'm glad that I decided to hold on to it, until I was sure I would lose my hair. If you do decide to make a big change, think about it for a few days and see if you still want to do it.

embee
June 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
My former boss is undergoing cancer treatments. She has not lost her hair. So think well and carefully before you do something drastic, it might not be necessary at all! (I had lunch with her today and she looks like she always did.)

Good luck with your health situation and whatever course of treatments you need.

Angel_Abby
June 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
These are excellent points. My mother did lose her hair in chemo, but my grandma's only thinned... so even my family history is mixed.

I think I may do a panic manic die and go auburn! I have always loved it, and my skin tone could handle it pretty easy. That would be very drastic, and maybe add some long bangs. That would be a change... but not one I would have to live with for years if I ended up regretting it.

I appreciate all the good thoughts and previous experiences! Thank you!