PDA

View Full Version : Love face freaming layers! tips needed.

MonaLisa
June 29th, 2011, 03:48 AM
So i have these bangs that have grown to below chin,looking really neglected and not nice...or styled.. and yesterday i got brave and trimmed them a little bit and also took some neighbour sections and trimmed them also a bit longer, so it's merged together and looking like face framing layers!
I figured out i love them and don't want to be without them, as my hair one length would look flat and not good with my face i think.

Is there anyone here with experience in self-cutting face framing layers? any tips? which sections to take? what lenght to cut? any good techiniques?
do i need to somehow connect it with rest of my lengths? I think it's like..impossible, with hip length hair and chin length layers..?
Perhaps show some pictures:)

I want to learn to do it good, better than good so I can have these playful parts styled nicely in future :)

Nymph
June 29th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I do have something like that, but my face-framing lengths are long enough to tuck behind my ears (otherwise I go nearly insane). I really don't cut them myself. My experience is that it tends to look too blunt or badly cut when I do it on my own.
What I do love about those face-framing layers is that if I feel like doing something crazy I can get loose on the bangs around my face and feel completely different. After a while I cut them anyway so the damage is kept at bay.

knoxkatie
June 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I agree with Nymph. I cut my own hair now using Feye's method, but I have found that I have to get a friend to do the face framing part. For me, the cut that you need to do (diagonally down the side of your face) is just too awkward to do on my own. I've tried it a few times and it only turned out well once. Do you have a friend or mother (or a DH or DBF) that you would trust to do this for you?

I just looked at your pictures and you have gorgeous hair. Normally I would say no to hip length hair with short layers but somehow I think you could pull it off because your hair is sort of messy and tousled looking and appears to have a lot of texture.

MonaLisa
June 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys! :)
Hmm haven't even considered letting someone else do it. I'd be a bit worried, it is delicate part and yes, definitely don't want them too blunt!
i actually did it, it's just maybe not exactly as i imagined, but it's not bad.
Problem is my ex bangs- now chin length are blunt and thick..so i just added few thinner and longer layers around.
Tips I need for when it grows a bit...so I can do it properly!
Gonna try to post pics :)
So you can tell me honestly maybe if it looks silly or ok :)

MonaLisa
June 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=106550

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=106551

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=106552

Hope it worked this time :)

So - shorter? longer? add more/thicker?

eyesofsummer
June 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Looks great, they suit you! And they look like they're the perfect length for securely tucking behind your ears, just in case you need to get them out of the way. Well done!

HairFaerie
June 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I think it looks great the way it is! Very pretty!

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
oh all you wavies !!! green with envy here !! MonaLisa your hair is lovely :-)

hibiscus
June 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Looks really lovely, and the way you've cut them really suits your hair texture and face.

Toiréasa
June 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I think they look great you've done a fantastic job,I have the same problem with my hair when its all one length it just drags me down I like face framing layers too.
I have no advice on self trimming but will be watching for suggestion as I would like to be able to trim myself some day.

Eire
June 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Ironic; you just cut them to the exact length that was driving me crazy on my own hair pre-chop! But they do look nice... I just hated them because they kept awkwardly falling out of my braids and buns and stuff.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
They look good as is. I did this once when my hair was longer. Like you, it was an attempt to blend in bangs that were growing out. I will probably be doing the same thing when my hair grows again. I love face framing layers. (Sorry I don't have any better suggestions on how to cut them, but you seem to have done a good job. In my experience you just kind of have to eyeball it.)

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM
They really suit you! Looks great!

pixiestar
June 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I think they look perfect as they are.:D You have gorgeous hair:D

MonaLisa
June 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Thank you so much guys! :D
It's comforting to hear such compliments :o especially because of my recent hair accident and another problem which i mentioned before *hides*
Hope next time it will be easier to cut them!
I used scissors first and it was ok but somehow always too straght and blunt, so I used razor a bit as well. I plan on keeping them shortish so it wont be a problem i suppose.

Eire, I can imagine it was annoying for braids and buns, but I don't do buns or braids unless when sleeping or doing sports :)

Silverdragn7385
June 30th, 2011, 08:17 AM
They look great! :D

I also cut my own bangs & face-framing pieces. I cut my pieces at chin level and taper them up into my bangs (which are around my eyebrows). They blend well with the length, and I have enough hair on the sides to hide my ears when I wear my hair up. :)