PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't most 'hairstick' buns work with hairpins?

shikara
June 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Of course, I would be able to figure this out when trying them, but I'd really like to minimize the amount of manipulation I try on my fine-ish tangly hair, so want to stick with ones that will probably work with hair pins. I remember someone posting a bun that they said is meant for hairsticks. Is there any reason that these buns wouldn't work with hair pins as well? So far I do a cinnabun and a twisted chignon.

CariadA
June 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I've done nautilus buns with hair pins or spin pins sometimes. It still holds well for me.

I know what you mean about minimizing manipulation. I feel like I do so much damage to my hair just playing around and trying new styles.

kelly-j
June 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I think it depends on how thick your hair is. My hair would never be satisfied with only bobby pins, i´ts just too thick and heavy.

Lianna
June 29th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I think it depends on how thick your hair is. My hair would never be satisfied with only bobby pins, i´ts just too thick and heavy.

Hair pins are different than bobby pins. They are meant to hold a lot of hair. They can be quite big too, look up amish pins.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1015779

OP: I think most would work, one I can think it probably couldn't work is the chinese bun.

bunzfan
June 29th, 2011, 01:12 AM
It depends on hair types i think my hair spits them out:o

vanity_acefake
June 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM
For me no. I would need about 100 hairpins to hold up my hair in some styles that 1 hairstick will do instead.

Lianna
June 29th, 2011, 01:51 AM
How interesting. My hair does well with four hair pins to a bun that needs 2 sticks.

Night_Kitten
June 29th, 2011, 02:07 AM
My guess is that most will work with pins too, except for several like the chinese & japaneese buns or the lazy wrap... It is probably individual though, some hair types get along well with pins, and some laugh them in the face and spit them out...

Solange
June 29th, 2011, 02:17 AM
In my case, yes, even more so ever since I found some U-shaped plastic pins (with a couple of squiggles in them). I don't think I could do a figure 8 bun without a stick, though.

kouran
June 29th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I've always used hairpins for my buns, and I prefer hairpins to hairsticks, since they aren't as noticeable.

Theobroma
June 29th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I don't think I could do a figure 8 bun without a stick, though.

I can do a figure-8 bun with two hairpins, but we're talking very large hairpins -- 2mm copper rods bent into a u shape; they're easily 2cm wide and about 8cm long. I insert one from the top and one from the bottom and it holds just as well as it does with a hairstick.

I would imagine that about four long Amish pins should do the job as well, though I haven't tried this.

jasper
June 29th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I guess it depends what you mean by "hair pin" and what you are used to using. When I try to use pins, I manipulate my hair a lot more just trying to get the pins to work and I usually end up losing pins during the day. If I go for a stick, I can manage a bun in one try and it will last all day.

torrilin
June 29th, 2011, 05:52 AM
In my case, yes, even more so ever since I found some U-shaped plastic pins (with a couple of squiggles in them). I don't think I could do a figure 8 bun without a stick, though.

Why not? Mine hold perfectly well with spin pins or other similar pins. Takes 2, same as any other cinnabun variant.

PianoPlaye
June 29th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I think it's moslty a matter of personal taste. Lady mother uses hairpins. (Family joke is that we can tell when she gets excited over something - her hairpins fall out. Since she went to the blob tipped wire with a crimped section on each "leg", there has been much less "shedding" & we've had to find other jokes.)
She has seen a spinpin & opined that Even As A Gift we are not "putting a corkscrew in her hair"...
She's seen & loved a couple of hairsticks, but she says she likes her hairpins. (I think hairsticks would cramp her style for tucking a pen away reliably.)

ArienEllariel
June 29th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I dunno. Speaking of hair pins, has anyone had an issue with regular u shaped hair pins just plain not holding buns? I stretch out bobby pins and they work just fine but the regular hairpins I've got aren't very sturdy and my hair just laughs at me when I try to use them to hold it up.

QMacrocarpa
June 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hmm, I don't know, I'm having a hard time picturing how I'd do a lazy wrap bun, Chinese bun, or pencil bun without a stick, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

torrilin
June 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
My hair spits out regular hairpins. It behaves better with bent knitting needle hairpins, tho the first set I bent were too fine a needle. But if I want bobby pins to stay in, I need to use huge thick ones. Regular bobby pins get spat out too.

I think it's just a Thing for fine and slippery hair. Most things I've seen written about hairstyling suggest that the finer the hair, the smaller the styling tool you need, and IME that just isn't true.

Anje
June 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Some do, some don't. Celtic knots, for example, are really made for hairsticks and you'll just have a funny loop out there all on its own if you try to pin them. There's no way to pin an orchid wrap, it needs a stick. But if you ask me, cinnabuns are made for hair pins, and I have little luck securing them with a stick. Others, like figure-8s, can do either.

torrilin
June 29th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I do celtic knots with pins!

tigereye
June 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Most will work. I just prefer the easyness of a single hairstick/pencil/whatever I can find (even a tent-peg at one point:p). My hair is too slippery for straight, or crimped hairpins, bobby pins fall out because they're too small, and I have so much fine, slippery hair, my monster-sized bobby pins bend out of shape and end up being just about as good as the hairpins at falling out.
All in all, normally it takes me a single stick, in place of about 60 pins/bobby pins etc, and avoids me having a mass of stiff metal pressing against my scalp and giving me a headache...:rolleyes:

FluffSpider
June 29th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've had cinnamon buns work with hair pins(big ones), but no luck with the lazy wrap. I imagine every bun which is 'fixed' by two hair sections which need to align properly wouldn't be OK for hairpins-Basically, if it's easy with a stick, it'll get more complicated with pins. But if the style needs some weaving, or the stick holding both scalp and bun hair, then pins will do a better and comfier job.

BlazingHeart
June 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM
My hair is thick, heavy, and very slippy. I've never managed to make anything stay with pins alone. Then again, I also have problems with single straight sticks. I think my hair is just difficult because there's so much of it.

slythwolf
June 29th, 2011, 03:39 PM
It depends on the bun. I can't do lazy wrap, nautilus or hypno bun with pins.

Madora
June 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Unless the hair is tremendously thick and long, you should be able to use hairpins (with or w/o crimps) to secure the style.

It is HOW you use the hairpins and where you place them that determines how well the style holds! You don't just stick 'em in to the bun! You "weave" them in and out thru the bun (and also try to snatch a tiny bit of scalp hair before you start the actual weaving process).

I've even seen hairpins that were 4 inches long that were great for bulky styles.

ravenreed
June 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I can't get a cinnabun to stay with just a stick. Figure-8's and other types of buns often require a combo of stick and pins for it to feel like it is secure. Nautilus buns can be either pins or sticks. A flipped bun requires lots of pins. If I used a stick would be more ornamental.

Some do, some don't. Celtic knots, for example, are really made for hairsticks and you'll just have a funny loop out there all on its own if you try to pin them. There's no way to pin an orchid wrap, it needs a stick. But if you ask me, cinnabuns are made for hair pins, and I have little luck securing them with a stick. Others, like figure-8s, can do either.

Xi
June 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
To me the whole point of hairstick/hairfork buns is that they are fast and comfortable. If I have lots of time, I'll put my hair in a nice braided bun held with pins. If I'm in a hurry (like most mornings:rolleyes:) I'll grab a hairfork and throw my hair into a bun that takes 3 seconds to do and lasts all day without adjustment. The same degree of comfort and stability is possible with pins, but takes longer.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I've managed to do french twists, figure 8 buns, cinnabuns, rose buns, braided buns, and a gibson tuck once, all using spin pins. I don't even own a hair stick or fork (even though I do want one)