PDA

View Full Version : porcupine brush?!

emmaya
June 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Can this be good for your hair?! Don't porcupine quills have barbs? Wouldn't they catch and tear the hair?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Boar-Brush/JANDD9,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10

Helix
June 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yikes! A porcupine brush :confused: Sounds like something Fred Flinstone would use...but me?...not so much.

It just looks like a regular boar bristle brush to me...if there are any quills in there I'd hope they've filed them down like crazy.

Dark Queen
June 28th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The heck?! I wonder what's the point of that?:confused:

emmaya
June 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
supposedly the quills are much stiffer than the boar bristles, allowing it to get through thick hair.

headed to sally's sometime soon, VERY tempted to get one, just to try it! will have to contact mfgr to ask questions!

vanity_acefake
June 29th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I have some porcupine quills I collected from a porcupine enclosure at our local animal park. They are anything but soft! They are not barbed but are as sharp as needles
I would be more concerned about the ethics behind the making of the brush though as I assume the animal is not politely asked for it's quills!

owlathena
June 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Is it actual porcupine bristles or is the brush just porcupine-esque in design?

CareBear
June 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM
It looks like it has clusters of boar bristles with a porcupine quill in each clusters. And do not fear for the safety of the porcupines! They shed theri quills like we shed our hair. :)

Toadstool
June 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I would be more concerned about the ethics behind the making of the brush though as I assume the animal is not politely asked for it's quills!
I have similar concerns about boar's bristle brushes which is why I have never bought one. :(

HairFaerie
June 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have done Native American quill work with porcupine quills...they are barbed but the barbs have to be cut off to work with them. Also, they are VERY oily! There are different sizes. There is a "pulp inside of the quills, similar to bone marrow, I suppose (that's the only way I can think to describe it). To sew them onto leather, you have cut off the barbs, boil the quills, squish out the "pulp" and then flatten them (This is all probably TMI that doesn't really matter...) Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, the point is (no pun intended) that porcupine quill brushes were used by Native Americans and because of their oiliness, I bet they would be great!

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Yikes! A porcupine brush :confused: Sounds like something Fred Flinstone would use...but me?...not so much.

It just looks like a regular boar bristle brush to me...if there are any quills in there I'd hope they've filed them down like crazy.
lolololol .. I so laughed out loud :lol:

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM
It looks like it has clusters of boar bristles with a porcupine quill in each clusters. And do not fear for the safety of the porcupines! They shed theri quills like we shed our hair. :)

that's good news !!!! I was thinking along the same line as vanity_acefake

selderon
June 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have some porcupine quills I collected from a porcupine enclosure at our local animal park. They are anything but soft! They are not barbed but are as sharp as needles

Porcupine quills were traditionally collected by throwing a blanket over a live porcupine. When the porcupine and blanket parted ways, loose quills would stick in the blanket and the porcupine would waddle off in a huff. :crush:

Modern methods include patting porcupines on the back with a styrofoam paddle (on, no doubt, a very long stick) or picking up porcupine sheds from ranch-dwelling porcupines. :love: Amorous porcupines tend to shed quills more abundantly because they are all emotional. :love:

Helix
June 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM
lolololol .. I so laughed out loud :lol:

:D tee-hee...Sorry I can be silly at times. For some reason when I read that title, the image of Fred combing his hair with a poor little porcupine was the first thing that popped into my head.

Helix
June 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
[Okay...so I showed my sister this thread and she shared this vid with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k

Great. Now there's no way I'll use a porcupine brush. They're just too cute.

whitestiletto
June 29th, 2011, 10:58 PM
When I first read this thread, I thought, "Porcupines have bristly fur, maybe they made the brush with the porcupine bristles. It's not all quills ya know! Did you look at a photo of a porcupine?" But then I looked at the brush and yeah those appear to be actual quills. WTF? The barbs are only at the very tip, which appears to be cut off, but still... Porcupine quills are stiff like... um... like stiffer than a plastic brush. They are probably just trying to make something that markets as "all natural" so that people who hate plastic will buy it.

Though porcupines love to give their quills away, all you have to do is walk up to them (they don't run away) and put a cloth on them and all the quills fall out onto the cloth. Not sure how Orangewood gets them... seems like a not-very-cost-effective materials gathering method.

http://heidikins.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/baby-porcupine.jpg

Slinks
June 29th, 2011, 11:25 PM
[Okay...so I showed my sister this thread and she shared this vid with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k

Great. Now there's no way I'll use a porcupine brush. They're just too cute.
OMG that is gorgeous !!! so cute :-)

Roseate
June 29th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Not real porcupine, folks.

A "porcupine" brush is just a boar bristle brush with one stiff nylon bristle in the middle of each bunch of boar. The Sally's description is misleading, don't know why they worded it that way! I promise, there is zero porcupine in there.

Regan
June 30th, 2011, 12:07 AM
LOL @ that youtube vid, they're sooo adorable. Put porcupine on my list of animals that I neeeeeeed. With that being said - I think there are wackier things that people have done with their hair here than using a porcupine quill brush .^^