PDA

View Full Version : flat bun options?

intothemist1999
June 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Now that I'm driving DH's car for the summer, I've needed to abandon my daily go-to 'do, the orchid bun (and also French twist). The headrest comes too close to my head, so I've switched back to cinnamon buns. I have only a few Ficcare maximas (the only one guaranteed to hold a cin. bun all day, for me) so it's getting old fast. Not to mention this one really gives me the "mean, tight, lady" bun look. :D

I'm after something that is flat and that sits not too low...not a braided version of the cin. bun, either. Something not too uptight would be nice, too, but not as necessary. :)

Ideas?

Djinmonet
June 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
My suggestion, Vortex bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhVn1n8gpM). Four strand, or more. Kept me from feeling like I had a headrest in front of the headrest, with just three strands and rope braids. If your good with braiding, you might be able to get it much flatter than twisting or rope braids.
If your wanting easy up or down, two side buns would get it away from the headrest, and can be carefully decorated, and or positioned, to look less cutesy.

Oh, another thing you maybe want to think on, if your hair is rubbing on a headrest, grab a silky pillowcase and throw it over the head rest to protect your hair. That made a huge difference for me. I could lean my head back, and could turn my head fast without catching hairs, or worse the whole hairstyle.

Thread on flat buns (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70601&highlight=vortex).

BlazingHeart
June 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
What about just a stranded bun? It's the only way I can reliably get my hair up right now, and I noticed while making it that it has about 1/2 the thickness of a cinnabon. It also tends to sit higher on your head if you do your division horizontally and do the top half up first.

(If that didn't make sense, a stranded bun goes like this: Divide hair along a line that goes from ear to ear along the back of the head. Take the upper half and cinnabon it - you can secure it or try to hold it with a pin while you deal with the second half. Take the second half and wrap it around the first half. Pin/stick/fork as desired.)

~Blaze

tinker bug
June 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Sometimes the celtic knot flattens nicely :flower:

AnnaJamila
June 28th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Aw, I was going to suggest the braided cinabun! :p

intothemist1999
July 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
(If that didn't make sense, a stranded bun goes like this: Divide hair along a line that goes from ear to ear along the back of the head. Take the upper half and cinnabon it - you can secure it or try to hold it with a pin while you deal with the second half. Take the second half and wrap it around the first half. Pin/stick/fork as desired.)

~Blaze

Too funny -- I thought I'd invented that (braided)!! lol

Hypnotica
July 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/GbiEWdaxJGI

Anje
July 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
I'm also thinking Vortex bun, or something similar. But you'll need lots of pins.

You could always perfect the bun-sitting-on-top-of-head look. :) I've also traded cars with my hubby (he's moving 3 hours away for work starting next week and driving back on the weekends, and my [former] car gets better mileage), but the new car (Malibu Maxx) is much more bun-friendly than my Civic.