PDA

View Full Version : Tips for preventing mechanical damage?

jitzgrrl
June 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I've been reading with avid interest over the last few weeks and have been dabbling in a few things that have really helped- CO washing, new (boar) brush, and I've expanded out from my same-ol-three-hairstyles. Already I'm seeing a difference in how manageable and smooth my APL bleached blonde hair is. I'm gathering ingredients and am looking forward to trying both deep conditioning and perhaps even honey lightening instead of boxed dye.

But I've got a much more significant life-hurdle to having beautiful long tresses: I roll around directly on the crown of my head, a LOT. I do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, which is essentially ground-based wrestling. In the context of any practice, I find myself at least 20 or 30 times doing a headstand press (so that the back crown of my head is touching the ground, but my shoulders/back are off the ground)- probably carrying 30% of my weight on my head- and then rotating partway around with my head screwing into the mat on the ground. This is often done with some speed and pressure.

This creates somewhat matted hair right at that spot, which I carefully detangle before I shower. And I do have a, um, slick nylon head-cap? that covers my head and ties below my chin, which I haven't actually found to make that much of a difference. I used to put it all up in a super-high-genie-ponytail, so it was above my crown, but the ponytail holder was so tight I started getting whispies that were *that* length, so I think that wasn't great for my hair. Currently I put it in a French braid and hope for the best, which isn't ever that good. I do have super-fine hair that likes to escape anything I can devise for it.

I'd love any tips from your experience with wrestling, tight buns, hair in hard-hats, or any other ways I can minimize the mechanical damage I'm sure I'm doing to my hair. I'd also love any leads on ways to cover my head and restrain my hair securely through an hour of vigorous wrestling. Thanks for your input and advice- I'm excited to see so many people truly passionate about great hair~

DoubleCrowned
June 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM
This is an interesting problem. I hope someone with some experience will answer your question.

In the meantime, I've been thinking, and I'm not sure that a tight braid is the answer because the tightness would lead to breakage if it is stressed further. (I hope someone comments on this...)

I wonder if you could put something fluffy in the nylon cap to cushion the hair--perhaps stitch a little satin pillow in it. Or perhaps you could make your hair slide against itself without catching--like heavy oiling. Maybe a heavy powdering of cornstarch to cushion individual hairs and let them slide? Double capping so that the cap next to your hair doesn't get as much friction?

Lianna
June 29th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I use to take some time detangling dry with a wide tooth comb, it was kind of annoying. If I wasn't extra careful, I'd get damage. The tangle teezer (http://www.tangleteezer.com/) helped me a lot with that, and my hair feels a lot softer too. Before I used to avoid detangling if I wasn't just out of the shower (that's when my hair is easy to detangle). I'm not so sure I have tips to style, maybe a braided bun.