PDA

View Full Version : My hairdresser has killed my hair at the roots section (my hair is waist length)

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I take great pride in my hair, I use only the best salon products and oil my hair at least once a week (overnight-Ojon).
I have been high lift tint blonde (whole head root area) for over 15 years and ALWAYS maintained the good condition of my hair. My hair is ALWAYS coloured at a professional hairdressers and only in the regrowth area, never on precious colour/high lift tint.

Well, I changed hairdressers just under a year ago, and new salon serviced my natural dark root (level 5-orange undertones)regrowth with a high lift tint (Paul Mitchell) but it went really brassy orange rather than baby blonde. So, they persuaded me that if they used soft bleach (PM lighten up) next time they would get the result I desired to match the rest of my hair.

Well for 8 months (very 6 weeks) they have been successfully touching up my dark regrowth with the soft bleach, with minimal damage. But two weeks ago, the hairdressers overlapped slightly and left on an extra 20 mins. I did say when we reached the 40 min mark to take it off, but she said it needed longer this time (??????).

Well, the result is my hair is damaged in the root area all over my head :((( And experienced breakage all around the front of my hairline, sides and nape of neck . Hair looks normal when dry, but when wet it is unnaturally soft, and individual hairs are floppy with no structure (limp)...I have been using awapuhi keratin treatment to try and put the protein back into hair.

Is my waist length hair doomed? I am gutted that the damage is at the roots, its not like I can just trim that away, like we all can do with the heams of hair.

These last two weeks have been hell... Any advice whether this bleach damage with strenghten through time, or just get worse and I will have to go pixie cut/GI Jane????

Thank you, for any advice in advance... :o

ps. I am stopping getting my roots done for at least three months, and maybe then get a few highlights just in the parting to help the growing out the blonde (5 years at least ekkkkk)...

11eleven
June 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Before I joined LHC I had been dying my hair black with chemicals. One day I decided that I wanted to lighten my hair so I bought a colour remover. After using it my hair was literally snapping off everywhere and some parts where super stretchy. I panicked and started googling what I could if anything do to save my hair. Lo and behold I stumbled upon LHC and found the holy grail of hair care; coconut oil! Coconut oil literally saved my hair.

Kristamommyx3
June 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I have no good advice, but I am sending all my best wishes your way! What a horrible mistake for a "professional" to make! So sorry. :(

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hopefully one of the LHC stylists will be able to give you specific advice on colouring, but in terms of whether the damage will improve, I'm afraid the answer's a definite no. Hair can't heal, no matter what a product might claim - you can make it easier to work with, but ultimately damage is cumulative and will be there until the hair is trimmed off. In the mean time though, this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)'s very handy for learning how to look after damaged hair until then. :) Pixie cuts aren't for everyone, after all.

IndigoAsh
June 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Coconut oil can be really amazing when it comes to breakage. Though I usually only use it on the ends of my hair. I'd definitely cut the blow drying, hair straightening, and anything that would cause the hairs at the roots to break or stretch, like as little brushing as you can get away with. Maybe switch to a comb instead of a brush. I quit using all hair products besides an organic shampoo and a conditioner. It makes such a huge difference. I don't think that the damage can be undone, but you can definitely try and make it as easy as possible to prevent further damage in the future. Just baby your hair like mad. I always like the antique lace outlook. Also I really love almond oil for my scalp, and mid parts of my hair. It works much better for me, personally, than the coconut oil. So everyone will find an oil that works best for them.

turtlelover
June 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
CO washing is more gentle and might be a good idea right now. Coconut oil is remarkable and I definitely agree that it can disguise a lot of damage.

jujube
June 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Extra protein on this specific section will probably help.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Thank you for all your replies :)

I just let my hair air dry since this disaster happened (though I used to blow dry) and I have never used straighteners ever.

I already uses coconut oil or Ojon oil once a week (8 hours on dry hair). But I read somehwhere it would be better to put on wet hair?

I have babied my hair for years, and take great care of it use the best salon products money can buy...I always comb with wide tooth comb, never a brush. I cant believe one trip to the hairdressers and all my good work has been undone, and right at the roots of the hair. My ends are perfect, but my roots are dry and "floppy" when wet.

I know "damage" as in split ends and dots of breakage cannot be mended. But I have been led to believe this "floppy" stucture at the roots can be strengthened up with protein/keratin treatment (restructuring).???????

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM
This is what I am hoping! :)) x

IndigoAsh
June 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm not a hair dresser, but I thought that when you have bleach damage it's done to the cuticle, and in some cases it's actually stripped or broken from the inner core of the hair which maybe causes it to go floppy? I don't believe it can be rebuilt. Only the new hairs can be caused to come through healthy by your diet, and treatment of your new hairs. Than again, I am not a stylist and this is just what I've gathered from reading.

I found this for you. Super awesome thread! Very worth the read.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

spidermom
June 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Good luck; I hope you can find a way to hang onto your hair.

I've watched the hair stylist do my daughter's roots, and I think it would be very difficult to avoid a little overlap.

GoatLady
June 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
That just makes me sick to my tummy. I hope you are able to save your lovely long hair. After reading all the hair dresser horror stories I am determined never to visit a beauty shop again.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Extra protein on this specific section will probably help.

This is what I am hoping....and doing...x

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm not a hair dresser, but I thought that when you have bleach damage it's done to the cuticle, and in some cases it's actually stripped or broken from the inner core of the hair which maybe causes it to go floppy? I don't believe it can be rebuilt. Only the new hairs can be caused to come through healthy by your diet, and treatment of your new hairs. Than again, I am not a stylist and this is just what I've gathered from reading.

Thank you, going to read it now! :)

Good luck; I hope you can find a way to hang onto your hair.

I've watched the hair stylist do my daughter's roots, and I think it would be very difficult to avoid a little overlap.

Yeah, there is acceptable small overlap and OVERLAP!

That just makes me sick to my tummy. I hope you are able to save your lovely long hair. After reading all the hair dresser horror stories I am determined never to visit a beauty shop again.

I know, my sister does her own and has gorgeous hair. I always go to professional salons and this happens :(((

WittyWordsmith
June 28th, 2011, 08:25 AM
What a stressful situation! And so unnecessary, too, if the stylist had just listened to you! I'm so sorry.

Perhaps an avocado masque may help as a protein treatment? I've read some success with them here throughout the boards. If it isn't strong enough, then maybe a treatment pack or something. It does sound like protein is what your roots want.

Your poor roots!

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Gosh, yes I have read this article a few times in the past...Saved it to my favourites and refer to it from time to time!

Alvrodul
June 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
:grouphug: This sucks - and to me, it sounds as if the hairdresser was negligent! I hope the coconut oil will help you - and if your hair has become dry from the damage, perhaps you could also try SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s to provide moisture?
I really hope you will be able to save your hair!

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Thank you. Its a sad day when the roots are in worse condition than the ends.

When a hair falls out naturally when wet, the root area of the hair is floppy and jelly like (easily damaged) and the length/end is firm in structure (doesn't flop).

Hairdressers looks at me as if I am mad, when I explained this to her when I went back to complain....She said ALL bleached hair does this when wet????? I certainly never noticed it before...

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
:grouphug: This sucks - and to me, it sounds as if the hairdresser was negligent! I hope the coconut oil will help you - and if your hair has become dry from the damage, perhaps you could also try SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s to provide moisture?
I really hope you will be able to save your hair!

what are SMT'S? :o

Alvrodul
June 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
what are SMT'S? :o
Just follow the link! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)

UltraBella
June 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I will be honest, from a professional point of view, and tell you that this section of your hair may be a very large problem for you for many years to come. Bleach damage usually becomes apparent later on, so if you have already had breakage and the integrity of your hair feels compromised with a limp, strange texture - there is a good chance you will have more problems and breakage later.
The best advice I can give you is to stay away from bleach, period, even with highlights it would be near impossible to avoid some overlap and the damaged area may just turn to a gummy mush. Then your only option is a VERY short haircut.
Any time you are maintaining a high lift color over many years and many applications, you are flirting with disaster. This issue is not uncommon, unfortunately.

Guenhwyvar
June 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I used to be the same with salon products, till I found they were doing more damage than good. I dont use chemicals now... and its cheaper (though my shampoo and conditioner still are not that cheap by standards).

Most people here find the cheapest products are actually better as they contain less chemicals.

Depends on what you are using though :)

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Just follow the link! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)

I think I will stay away from anything with honey in (peroxide is given off in the breakdown of honey). My hair is now to fragile for that! But thank you!

I will be honest, from a professional point of view, and tell you that this section of your hair may be a very large problem for you for many years to come. Bleach damage usually becomes apparent later on, so if you have already had breakage and the integrity of your hair feels compromised with a limp, strange texture - there is a good chance you will have more problems and breakage later.
The best advice I can give you is to stay away from bleach, period, even with highlights it would be near impossible to avoid some overlap and the damaged area may just turn to a gummy mush. Then your only option is a VERY short haircut.
Any time you are maintaining a high lift color over many years and many applications, you are flirting with disaster. This issue is not uncommon, unfortunately.

Yip, you have summed up what I thought, this inch or two at the roots won't weather well as it grows and have to look forward to it breaking as it goes out :(((. The immediate breakage is around the face and nape of neck. Not so much in main part of hair.

And yes, I am NEVER letting a hairdressers near me with soft bleach ever again... I thought I could get maybe a few highlights just in my middle parting to make the growing out stage easier. But what you said above has made me even reconsider this...

I love being blonde (15 years of being very blonde), but this episode has frightened me off.

growingpains
June 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If you heat honey it gets rid of the peroxide effect. One thing about SMTs. Only useful if you live in a humid climate as honey is a humetecant. If you live in a dry are SMTs could actually promote moisture loss.

I'm sorry about your situation, it must be frustrating and upsetting. Hang in there. Hopefully you don't get mass breakage or damage and can grow it out!

Alaia
June 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think I will stay away from anything with honey in (peroxide is given off in the breakdown of honey). My hair is now to fragile for that! But thank you!

It is my understanding that putting the treatment in the microwave for more than 10 seconds destroys the peroxide given off by the honey. It still might work for you :)

ETA: Ninja'd! :pinktongue:

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
If you heat honey it gets rid of the peroxide effect. One thing about SMTs. Only useful if you live in a humid climate as honey is a humetecant. If you live in a dry are SMTs could actually promote moisture loss.

I'm sorry about your situation, it must be frustrating and upsetting. Hang in there. Hopefully you don't get mass breakage or damage and can grow it out!

I am hoping I can grow it out, as I am very careful with my hair. But the limp floppy structure of the hairs when wet (normal when dry) is making me think it won't be possible :(

But growing it out means HUGE ugly roots and around 6 years to grow this root section out! Seems an absolute mountain to climb....:(

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
It is my understanding that putting the treatment in the microwave for more than 10 seconds destroys the peroxide given off by the honey. It still might work for you :)

ETA: Ninja'd! :pinktongue:

ETA: Ninja'd???? As in Ninja from a certain pet forum? lol :confused:

lora410
June 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Coconut oil is high in protein. I would do as many deep treatments as you can over the next few weeks.

EvaSimone
June 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I am hoping I can grow it out, as I am very careful with my hair. But the limp floppy structure of the hairs when wet (normal when dry) is making me think it won't be possible :(

But growing it out means HUGE ugly roots and around 6 years to grow this root section out! Seems an absolute mountain to climb....:(

Rather than have huge roots could you do a deposit only color similar to your natural shade? That would make the growing out much easier and probably wouldn't damage your hair very much if at all.

Also you can strengthen damaged hair with Aphogee (a very strong protein treatment) but once it wears off then you are back to square one. Also Aphogee can be tricky to use, if you do it wrong you can break chunks of your hair off very easily.

My favorite hair treat is very moisturizing with a mild amount of protein.
1 part conditioner (I use Giovanni)
1 part honey
1 part coconut milk

I warm the honey in the microwave and then mix all of the ingredients until they become the texture of runny pudding. I slather the mixture all over my dry hair until it's saturated and then wrap my head with plastic baggies and saran wrap. I leave it on as long as I can stand and will use a heat cap and a towel to try to keep it warm. Leaving it for 4-8 hours seems to be the best.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Coconut oil is high in protein. I would do as many deep treatments as you can over the next few weeks.

I prefer Ojon oil but I do use Coconut also....

I have to be careful, I am not treating just dry damaged hair, but this floppy/slimmy/soft hair when its wet. I am thinking more oil/slip may be bad??? I need something to bring the firm structure back, hence the Awapuhi Keratin treatments....

Alaia
June 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
ETA: Ninja'd???? As in Ninja from a certain pet forum? lol :confused:

Ninja'd as in the poster above me posted while I was typing :D

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Rather than have huge roots could you do a deposit only color similar to your natural shade? That would make the growing out much easier and probably wouldn't damage your hair very much if at all.

Also you can strengthen damaged hair with Aphogee (a very strong protein treatment) but once it wears off then you are back to square one. Also Aphogee can be tricky to use, if you do it wrong you can break chunks of your hair off very easily.

My favorite hair treat is very moisturizing with a mild amount of protein.
1 part conditioner (I use Giovanni)
1 part honey
1 part coconut milk

I warm the honey in the microwave and then mix all of the ingredients until they become the texture of runny pudding. I slather the mixture all over my dry hair until it's saturated and then wrap my head with plastic baggies and saran wrap. I leave it on as long as I can stand and will use a heat cap and a towel to try to keep it warm. Leaving it for 4-8 hours seems to be the best.

Thank you for the tips! :)

Because most of my hair is high lift tint and 8 months of bleach at upper part, a deposit colour will catch in some places more than others, and fade more at the top than bottom. Hence I could end up with three tone hair and not two tone. Even the kindest deposit colour has some hydrogen peroxide in it even if a low 3% levels...

I am just stumped as to where to go from here :(((

selderon
June 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Yikes! I'm sorry you're struggling with your hair right now. It's not a nice feeling.

As UltraBella pointed out, high lift blonde is risky. In order to lift out your natural color, you have to damage the hair. There's just no way around it.

I know a lot of salon blondes are very attached to the idea of themselves as blonde. It becomes an identity thing. (Maybe a lot of women who color, blonde or not, feel this way. I don't know. I'm a natural brunette who has had black, red (including almost fire engine red) and purple hair. It was ALL fun!) But due to the condition of your hair, it might be a very good idea to spend some time in your natural color or (if your colorist can swing it) something the same level as your natural color in a deposit-only formula.

ETA: It's true that bleached hair will take color differently than virgin hair. A good colorist will be able to match or very nearly match the color on the root and on the bleached length.

If you're willing to become a redhead permanently, you could go the henna route. No bleach there! And henna has a reputation for strengthening hair.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Ninja'd as in the poster above me posted while I was typing :D

Aaaaahhhh ;)

I know a "Ninja" from elsewhere on the net lol....

Nae
June 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Yes, I was wondering if you would consider going closer to your natural color. That way you could avoid the bleach and the growing out might not be as painful. I imagine you are quite attached to the blonde but maybe some lowlights would make the grow out a little more doable.

littlenvy
June 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I did that to myself once before. But I did it to all of my hair :(
Ended up cutting it off because the hair was just unmanagable. It was like spider web. Too soft, too tangly, too streatchy.
Moisture would actually make it worse, WAY worse. Protein treatments was the only think that would help until I grew it out and cut it.

I soooo hope your damage was not even half as bad as mine and that you will be able to save it. Keep doing your protein treatments on it and DO NOT put any honey in it! It was not a good move when I did it.

Loviatar
June 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Find a hair dresser who listens to you.

I bleach and then henna and my hair is in fine condition. Justgreen has waist-ish length hair and has bleach put on hers. I think the bleach was not the problem; the timing was. If you have bleached before with no problems, the fact your hairdresser left it on for 40 minutes is ghastly to me. I have dark brown hair naturally, use 20vol peroxide with my bleach, and we leave it on for 20 minutes max.

I know what you mean about the floppy, gummy hair. I have had bleach left on too long in the past, maybe 3 years ago, and my hair started to break off. (It was left on for maybe an hour and they were trying to bleach out black dye.) What saved my hair was using silicone conditioners, gentle shampoos, and most importantly protein treatments. I can recommend MOP Extreme Greens avocado and black bean treatment, and also Redken CAT Extreme Protein. The occasional egg and avocado mask can't do you any harm either. Avoid wet combing too. When my hair was at its most fragile, I washed, then tied up in a towel for an hour, then took it off and left to air dry. I only combed starting at the ends once it was totally dry.

I wish you the best of luck, and don't feel frightened off by the bleach issue. You can use bleach if you use it sensibly and avoid overlap. It can be done. I know people are saying you will always get overlap but I promise I don't with my hairdresser, David. He matches exactly to the line. My henna over the top looks fantastic even if I do say so myself. ;)

Get a new hairdresser and explain to them what happened to you with the old one. Get someone you can trust. It makes a MASSIVE difference.

Artsy
June 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I was bleaching for years and I had a similar problem after I switched salons after moving. I did not have the same disasterous effect after one time, but I had some hairs along my face overprocessed a bit. They started braking probably about 5-6 month after and gave me a very interesting looking fringe. After that I had hair breaking a lot close to the root and thinning out. I can't say I was babying my hair, since I have to wash it every day. I was using coconut oil regularly, oiling before my trip to the hairdresser. It took probably around a year for my hair to reach the worst condition. Here are the pics of the breakage http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6273&pictureid=98908

I did't see a different solution other than trying to match my natural colour and try to forget about my blond hair. I have switched to CO and airdrying and it made a big difference, I have some thickness back now. I have also started hennaing into brown and then into black. Henna made my hair stronger and healthy looking, but it's very pemanent. I am now finally used to the black hair I love it, but really miss my blond sometimes.

wvgemini
June 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of that :( I remember when I had to strip out a bad color job, I just kept with loads of conditioner, no heat and protein treatments on the damage. I hope you can salvage your hair, it looks very pretty in your pics:flower:

Coconut oil is fat. No protein. Coconut milk on the other hand, has protein.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I was bleaching for years and I had a similar problem after I switched salons after moving. I did not have the same disasterous effect after one time, but I had some hairs along my face overprocessed a bit. They started braking probably about 5-6 month after and gave me a very interesting looking fringe. After that I had hair breaking a lot close to the root and thinning out. I can't say I was babying my hair, since I have to wash it every day. I was using coconut oil regularly, oiling before my trip to the hairdresser. It took probably around a year for my hair to reach the worst condition. Here are the pics of the breakage http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6273&pictureid=98908

I did't see a different solution other than trying to match my natural colour and try to forget about my blond hair. I have switched to CO and airdrying and it made a big difference, I have some thickness back now. I have also started hennaing into brown and then into black. Henna made my hair stronger and healthy looking, but it's very pemanent. I am now finally used to the black hair I love it, but really miss my blond sometimes.

Thank you for posting pics, but I get an administrator message saying I don't have access to this. Is my post count too low, to be able to fully use this forum?

Sorry to hear you went thorough similar to me, its gut wrenching...:(

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of that :( I remember when I had to strip out a bad color job, I just kept with loads of conditioner, no heat and protein treatments on the damage. I hope you can salvage your hair, it looks very pretty in your pics:flower:

Coconut oil is fat. No protein. Coconut milk on the other hand, has protein.

Thats what I thought also, no protein....Didnt want to say just incase I was wrong!

And thank you for saying I have pretty hair...but for how long? The clock is ticking.... :(

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I did that to myself once before. But I did it to all of my hair :(
Ended up cutting it off because the hair was just unmanagable. It was like spider web. Too soft, too tangly, too streatchy.
Moisture would actually make it worse, WAY worse. Protein treatments was the only think that would help until I grew it out and cut it.

I soooo hope your damage was not even half as bad as mine and that you will be able to save it. Keep doing your protein treatments on it and DO NOT put any honey in it! It was not a good move when I did it.

Thank you for the advice, my instinct told me to keep away from honey with this type of damage!

Sorry to hear you have been through the same...mine is at the roots only...but isnt that the most important part? Its what holds the rest of my hair on :poot:

pink.sara
June 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Take a wee look left at my avatar < thats my blonde streak. My hair is naturally almost black with lots of red tones so to reach this level of blonde I have to bleach 40 volume peroxide for over an hour (and that's on the roots) there is always a slight overlap and I have damaged it to the gummy limp sort of gooey feeling stage many times over the years.
How I have previously coped and nursed it when it was 42 inches was this:
CO washing or at least CWC but with diluted shampoo.
Ojon or coconut overnight on dry hair weekly.
This product... With one tube used a week for the first 10 weeks after damage occurred: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012X9U3M?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1 (it's a hair saver!)
Goldwell Kerasilk for extremely damaged hair.
No combing wet, only combing not brushing.
And finally when I tried to bleach the many years of chemical black out of the rest then realised blonde didn't suit me I dyed it darker. Sorry to say it as I know how attached people are to their hair colour but henna works wonders, and so do vegetable toners and dyes.
I would stay away from highlights for a long time as they will overlap and cause breakage no matter how careful your stylist is :(
So sorry this happened and I hope you find the treatment that works for you to restore it to a saveable condition :flower:

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Yikes! I'm sorry you're struggling with your hair right now. It's not a nice feeling.

As UltraBella pointed out, high lift blonde is risky. In order to lift out your natural color, you have to damage the hair. There's just no way around it.

I know a lot of salon blondes are very attached to the idea of themselves as blonde. It becomes an identity thing. (Maybe a lot of women who color, blonde or not, feel this way. I don't know. I'm a natural brunette who has had black, red (including almost fire engine red) and purple hair. It was ALL fun!) But due to the condition of your hair, it might be a very good idea to spend some time in your natural color or (if your colorist can swing it) something the same level as your natural color in a deposit-only formula.

ETA: It's true that bleached hair will take color differently than virgin hair. A good colorist will be able to match or very nearly match the color on the root and on the bleached length.

If you're willing to become a redhead permanently, you could go the henna route. No bleach there! And henna has a reputation for strengthening hair.

Interesting you mention red, cos a couple of years ago I flirted with the idea of going Bree from Desperate Housewives red. But chickened out!

I have seen some pretty uneven henna results in womens hair, and would hate for that to happen to me....

Do hairdressers do henna? I would never dream of doing this at home myself (I know most women henna themselves)....

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Take a wee look left at my avatar < thats my blonde streak. My hair is naturally almost black with lots of red tones so to reach this level of blonde I have to bleach 40 volume peroxide for over an hour (and that's on the roots) there is always a slight overlap and I have damaged it to the gummy limp sort of gooey feeling stage many times over the years.
How I have previously coped and nursed it when it was 42 inches was this:
CO washing or at least CWC but with diluted shampoo.
Ojon or coconut overnight on dry hair weekly.
This product... With one tube used a week for the first 10 weeks after damage occurred: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012X9U3M?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1 (it's a hair saver!)
Goldwell Kerasilk for extremely damaged hair.
No combing wet, only combing not brushing.
And finally when I tried to bleach the many years of chemical black out of the rest then realised blonde didn't suit me I dyed it darker. Sorry to say it as I know how attached people are to their hair colour but henna works wonders, and so do vegetable toners and dyes.
I would stay away from highlights for a long time as they will overlap and cause breakage no matter how careful your stylist is :(
So sorry this happened and I hope you find the treatment that works for you to restore it to a saveable condition :flower:

Thank you for your post! It has given me hope! :cheese: So, the floppy, soft hair at the roots can be saved? I can avoid a buzz cut?

I already use Ojon oil once a week, and the odd coconut oil (though prefer Ojon).

I am alternating between Awapuhi keratin shampoo and keratin conditioner, and Ojon damage reverse for very dry chemically treated hair shampoo and conditioner. And a leave-in conditioner. I am a daily washer (I like clean hair) but have just been washing it every second day instead. And air drying it (what a crimp that is causing in my life style).

The hairdesser used Paul Mitchell Lighten up (soft bleach-only 5 level lift) and 20 vol.

RitaCeleste
June 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I turned mine to elastic once and had to just grow it out and cut. I damaged it again with dyeing color stripping and dyeing again. I've been able to hold on to it this time. Every week or two I use Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor on it for 5 mins. I coat it really well with coconut oil before I color it. I still bleed red during washing after coloring for forever. My hair doesn't seem to grab and hold color as well. I had to get better products for my hair and start co-washing most of the time. What I ended up with for products was Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner to wash my hair, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose to condition my hair. Coconut oil pre-wash treatments and Meadowfoam seed oil to oil my dry hair. I oil with coconut a few hours before washing. I oil when its dry with meadowfoam seed oil, as much as can without looking greasy. You are going to have keep doing the protein treatments for awhile and give it a little time to see if you can save it. Sometimes it can seem to get better with time.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I turned mine to elastic once and had to just grow it out and cut. I damaged it again with dyeing color stripping and dyeing again. I've been able to hold on to it this time. Every week or two I use Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor on it for 5 mins. I coat it really well with coconut oil before I color it. I still bleed red during washing after coloring for forever. My hair doesn't seem to grab and hold color as well. I had to get better products for my hair and start co-washing most of the time. What I ended up with for products was Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner to wash my hair, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose to condition my hair. Coconut oil pre-wash treatments and Meadowfoam seed oil to oil my dry hair. I oil with coconut a few hours before washing. I oil when its dry with meadowfoam seed oil, as much as can without looking greasy. You are going to have keep doing the protein treatments for awhile and give it a little time to see if you can save it. Sometimes it can seem to get better with time.

Thank you for your reply....Yeah, I will continue with the protein treatments, concentrating the protein on the damaged floppy roots, cos I am scared I over protein my lengths. I am hoping over time the hair in that area will strengthen. I am considering making an appointment with a tricologist for a final verdict....

RitaCeleste
June 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM
My hair is always the worst the first month after coloring. It breaks easy and is stretchy for a couple of weeks. Then miracle of miracles it seems to gain some strength and get solid again. Unless the hairdresser has really good protein treatments available for purchase, they might not know if your hair can be saved. Definitely ask if they offer reconstruction treatments before you make that appointment.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
My hair is always the worst the first month after coloring. It breaks easy and is stretchy for a couple of weeks. Then miracle of miracles it seems to gain some strength and get solid again. Unless the hairdresser has really good protein treatments available for purchase, they might not know if your hair can be saved. Definitely ask if they offer reconstruction treatments before you make that appointment.

I have already had a protein treatment under heat lamp at hairdressers (Paul Mitchell Awapuhi in salon treatment) and maintaining it with the Awapuhi keratin shampoo and intensive treatment conditioner. Not much difference yet, looks really good when dry but strands are still soft/floppy at roots when wet. My fingers are crossed, and thank you for your support! :D

xoxophelia
June 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM
First off, you and your hair are beautiful :)

I imagine people will not notice the damage as much as you do. Best advice I can think is to look up "CO method" (washing with only conditioner) or get a much more gentle shampoo and dilute it since the damage is at your roots. Also be careful to protect your hair from the sun as that will make things worse.

There are many ways to style your hair into updos or braid waves/ bun waves here that you may find helpful in the article section since you said you are avoiding heat styling.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
First off, you and your hair are beautiful :)

I imagine people will not notice the damage as much as you do. Best advice I can think is to look up "CO method" (washing with only conditioner) or get a much more gentle shampoo and dilute it since the damage is at your roots. Also be careful to protect your hair from the sun as that will make things worse.

There are many ways to style your hair into updos or braid waves/ bun waves here that you may find helpful in the article section since you said you are avoiding heat styling.

Thank you! My hair is bolt straight naturally, so when I air dry it dries totally straight (I guess I am lucky). I love the waved look women can get with braids, doesnt work well on my hair tho.

selderon
June 28th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Interesting you mention red, cos a couple of years ago I flirted with the idea of going Bree from Desperate Housewives red. But chickened out!

I have seen some pretty uneven henna results in womens hair, and would hate for that to happen to me....

Do hairdressers do henna? I would never dream of doing this at home myself (I know most women henna themselves)....

Hop on over to Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare and read up on henna. Also, Henna for Hair (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html) has some excellent information about how to do henna, what it can do for you, what to avoid, and how to get different shades and colors... pics included!

Artsy
June 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I have already had a protein treatment under heat lamp at hairdressers (Paul Mitchell Awapuhi in salon treatment) and maintaining it with the Awapuhi keratin shampoo and intensive treatment conditioner. Not much difference yet, looks really good when dry but strands are still soft/floppy at roots when wet. My fingers are crossed, and thank you for your support! :D

The gummy texture should go away in about 2 week, but the hair in that section will be still very fragile and it is better to stretch washes as much as you can, especially these few weeks. The good thing is that it is summer and beach waves and updos are a stylish and heat-proof way to beat the heat.

Ps. You'll be able to see pics after 25 posts.

Artsy
June 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hop on over to Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare and read up on henna. Also, Henna for Hair (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html) has some excellent information about how to do henna, what it can do for you, what to avoid, and how to get different shades and colors... pics included!

Henna is great treatment for healthy hair, but the colour change can bee Avery drastic move. There is also cassia which is almost colourless.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM
The gummy texture should go away in about 2 week, but the hair in that section will be still very fragile and it is better to stretch washes as much as you can, especially these few weeks. The good thing is that it is summer and beach waves and updos are a stylish and heat-proof way to beat the heat.

Ps. You'll be able to see pics after 25 posts.

I am at 2 and half weeks after.... :(

I can now have a look at your pics, will look now! :)

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Henna is great treatment for healthy hair, but the colour change can bee Avery drastic move. There is also cassia which is almost colourless.

I agree on healthy hair henna looks fab...on a bleached blonde it can be risky, I am guessing!

Cassia sounds like it would strengthen my hair, and remain colourless. But thinking long term, henna reacts in a bad way with other hairdressing services...

HereIGrowAgain
June 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
You can get henna samples to see what your results will do. If you are very careful with your shed hairs, and lay them all out in the same direction (roots together), you'll be able to see if it will help strengthen your hair. Your hair is so long that it probably won't even take a week to accumulate enough hair to do one color test. Henna can be an orangy-red or a cherry-red. Searches to find out which batches produce which color should help. Also, you can mix henna and indigo to come to brunette, if you want to give it a go at getting back to your natural color.

Before trying any colors from any source (plant or otherwise), I would highly recommend doing strand tests EVERY TIME.

I'm not sure if it makes you feel better, but it only takes about a year to get from super-short to nearly-shoulder for most people. Going buzz or pixie could be avoided in favor of waiting until that bit reaches shoulder and cutting then. Or, you could slowly trim up a few inches (2-3) a month, and get there a bit less drastically.

pink.sara
June 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your post! It has given me hope! :cheese: So, the floppy, soft hair at the roots can be saved? I can avoid a buzz cut?

I already use Ojon oil once a week, and the odd coconut oil (though prefer Ojon).

I am alternating between Awapuhi keratin shampoo and keratin conditioner, and Ojon damage reverse for very dry chemically treated hair shampoo and conditioner. And a leave-in conditioner. I am a daily washer (I like clean hair) but have just been washing it every second day instead. And air drying it (what a crimp that is causing in my life style).

The hairdesser used Paul Mitchell Lighten up (soft bleach-only 5 level lift) and 20 vol.

Honestly it may never be the same as it was or the same as the rest of your hair but you can save it enough to grow it out! My last bleach oops that caused chewing gym hair is now my final 2 inches at almost APL, it's taken nearly 2 years to get here and it is still prone to breakage but I haven't had a trim for a year and it's hanging on in there!
No buzz cuts necessary!
Good regular protein (until protein makes it feel "crispy" or "crunchy") then loads of moisture + treating it gently and I'm sure you can rescue it! :)

Alvrodul
June 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
The problem with henna is that it is forever - once it is in your hair, you are not going to get it out - no lifting the color out as you can do with other coloring products, because the lawsone (the color molecule) binds chemically to the keratine in your hair. When someone tries to bleach it out, they are only going to end up with fried, orange hair.
Uneven coloring with henna usually occurs when hair is damaged from bleaching, chemical colorants and such, so this may well be a potential problem for you, with the damage the hairdresser did.
Pure BAQ (body art quality) henna does not react badly with chemical colorants and other such products. The reason for the bad reputation henna may have among stylists, is that the "henna" they often see, is not pure henna, but henna with metallic salts mixed in, and it is these metallic salts that will react badly to the chemicals. If you wonder if a particular henna has metallic salts in it, you could try mixing a teeny bit of it with bleach - if it starts smoking, bubbling or react weirdly, you got chemical salts - real Mad Scientist stuff! :p
For the range of colors that is possible with henna, see here (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/). Buxus and indigo are less permanent than henna, and are likely to fade, at least at first.

theodora
June 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If you're worried about henna looking too intense, look into doing a henna gloss which delivers a more subtle result. I've done 2 henna glosses so far with a mix of henna and cassia and the result has been really nice and subtle. I started doing it as my hair was very damaged by too much bleaching and I did not want to touch chemical dyes or bleach anymore.

MiamiPineapple
June 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I did the same thing as anotehr reader above with removing black hair dye and ended up cutting alot off. I totally agree...RUN don't walk to the store and get coconut oil. I have tried EVERYTHING else I kid you not. COCONUT OIL is the ONLY thing that will stop it from breaking. Drench your hair in it everynight and CO wash it out in the morning. It's not too late to save your hair...

justgreen
June 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Just checking in here, I have almost classic length hair and have been bleaching for the last six years (more than that but I started seriously growing when I joined this forum). I would whole heartedly recommend using SMT's with warmed honey. This routine SAVED my hair. I started using it in 2005 and still use it as a deep treatment. I also dilute my shampoo, mainly using sulphate free L'oreal Everpure. Don't give up on your hair yet, it might surprise you. :flower:

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
If you're worried about henna looking too intense, look into doing a henna gloss which delivers a more subtle result. I've done 2 henna glosses so far with a mix of henna and cassia and the result has been really nice and subtle. I started doing it as my hair was very damaged by too much bleaching and I did not want to touch chemical dyes or bleach anymore.

I love your colour of blonde that the henna has created on your hair, very natural and would never know it was henna! :cheese:

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I did the same thing as anotehr reader above with removing black hair dye and ended up cutting alot off. I totally agree...RUN don't walk to the store and get coconut oil. I have tried EVERYTHING else I kid you not. COCONUT OIL is the ONLY thing that will stop it from breaking. Drench your hair in it everynight and CO wash it out in the morning. It's not too late to save your hair...

I do have pure coconut oil that I use (also Ojon oil which is even better), but concerned that over use of the oil would hinder the penetration of my protein treatments. Slip isnt the issue here, as the hair is TOO soft and fragile, and I need the protein in there to strengthen up the strands....I think....???? If it was dry/straw like then yes, coconut oil would be good....Mine is a stage worse than that apparently, and is limp/jelly and structureless when wet at the roots where hairdresser fecked up....

Just checking in here, I have almost classic length hair and have been bleaching for the last six years (more than that but I started seriously growing when I joined this forum). I would whole heartedly recommend using SMT's with warmed honey. This routine SAVED my hair. I started using it in 2005 and still use it as a deep treatment. I also dilute my shampoo, mainly using sulphate free L'oreal Everpure. Don't give up on your hair yet, it might surprise you. :flower:

Ah a bleached blonde like me :cheese: So you should know!

I still have reservations about using honey, on my type of damage. The healthy lengths maybe, but the damaged roots??? Eck...not sure....

Maybe your hair was just dry,but mine is damaged structurally....

Would love to chat more about this with you!

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Honestly it may never be the same as it was or the same as the rest of your hair but you can save it enough to grow it out! My last bleach oops that caused chewing gym hair is now my final 2 inches at almost APL, it's taken nearly 2 years to get here and it is still prone to breakage but I haven't had a trim for a year and it's hanging on in there!
No buzz cuts necessary!
Good regular protein (until protein makes it feel "crispy" or "crunchy") then loads of moisture + treating it gently and I'm sure you can rescue it! :)

Yip. I realise that band of roots is never gonna be totally healthy. But if I can baby it, and strenghten it enough not to break much as it grows out (6 years ouch), I will be happy. And thank you again for giving me hope! My hair looks okay when dry, its when its wet these roots are awful looking/feeling!

Mymagicfairy
June 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I used to bleach my hair ..pixie cut
My hair was in rough shape from all the coloring
Now that I henna my hair has never looked healthier
I did two henna treatments a few weeks apart...then henna and indigo..to get it darker
Now I just henna
It's very dark brown...with red undertones
And the shine is amazing!!,my hair has never been healthier!
It doesn't fall out anymore!
I can vouch on the benefits of henna
Just know once you henna it's permanent

justgreen
June 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ah a bleached blonde like me :cheese: So you should know!

I still have reservations about using honey, on my type of damage. The healthy lengths maybe, but the damaged roots??? Eck...not sure....

Maybe your hair was just dry,but mine is damaged structurally....

Would love to chat more about this with you!

I won't say I've been without damage, I've had my fair share and honey has really helped. The first time I used SMT, I SLEPT in it overnight, then rinsed it out the next day and the difference was amazing. Damaged hair NEEDS moisture, lots of it and the only things to me that count as *natural* moisture are distilled water and honey. Oh sure lots of folks think conditioner and oils are moisture, but for us bleachies, especially if you live in a low humidity climate such as I do, we need lots of natural stuff. I always used oils after the water spritzes, to seal in the water so to speak. Oils also wash out easily, where most conditioners (the ones with silicones) don't. I went silicone free for over two years.

I have hard well water and that is another story, I've learned how to live with it and what it takes to make my hair healthy while living with it. I use distilled water as a final rinse after washing my hair, to sluice the minerals off from the well water. I also use distilled water in my spritzer bottle. YOu might want to try spritzing on a daily basis, especially to the damaged area. My favorite spritz is 4 ounces distilled water, a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil and around 4 drops of jojoba oil.

I dilute my shampoos using a bottle with an applicator nozzle. About 2 tablespoons of shampoo, then add around 3-4 ounces of warm water. Wet the hair, then shake the bottle up and using the nozzle get all that lather right down to the scalp.

PrincessBlondie
June 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I won't say I've been without damage, I've had my fair share and honey has really helped. The first time I used SMT, I SLEPT in it overnight, then rinsed it out the next day and the difference was amazing. Damaged hair NEEDS moisture, lots of it and the only things to me that count as *natural* moisture are distilled water and honey. Oh sure lots of folks think conditioner and oils are moisture, but for us bleachies, especially if you live in a low humidity climate such as I do, we need lots of natural stuff. I always used oils after the water spritzes, to seal in the water so to speak. Oils also wash out easily, where most conditioners (the ones with silicones) don't. I went silicone free for over two years.

I have hard well water and that is another story, I've learned how to live with it and what it takes to make my hair healthy while living with it. I use distilled water as a final rinse after washing my hair, to sluice the minerals off from the well water. I also use distilled water in my spritzer bottle. YOu might want to try spritzing on a daily basis, especially to the damaged area. My favorite spritz is 4 ounces distilled water, a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil and around 4 drops of jojoba oil.

I dilute my shampoos using a bottle with an applicator nozzle. About 2 tablespoons of shampoo, then add around 3-4 ounces of warm water. Wet the hair, then shake the bottle up and using the nozzle get all that lather right down to the scalp.

Yes I agree, us bleachies need MOISTURE, when only having dryish damage from bleach! Normally thats the rule, but when the damage is flopping/jelly like strands when wet, moisture is to be avoided and could even cause the MORE damage. These jelly like/soft areas respond better to protein, to toughen them up, I believe. Then follow with moisture....

I am using a sulphate free shampoo, that actually leaves my hair feeling conditioned (other shampoos in past have stripped and dried).

Arya
June 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I'd suggest castor oil or miconazole nitrate on your hair...once you have a bit of healthy hair at the roots. Biotin would be a good idea to start too, just to get those roots moving downwards. As for protein treatments, I think there's nothing better than a good old egg on the scalp. Protective updos, and veeery delicate brushing will probably help you as well. You may want to consider treating your hair as though it's 4a or b hair instead of your 1a. 4a/b hair requires very gentle handling, and also walks a fine balance between protein and moisture loss.

Darkhorse1
June 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Don't bleach!!! I was just talking to my hair dresser about this (not for me,, but happened to a friend). Bleach is too strong and can't be used over already bleached hair or it will break.

First, get a new hair dresser and then discuss highlights on the roots, rather than bleaching it. A good colorist is what you want to find.

It doesn't sound like the hair is too damaged, but has lost body--maybe an oiling might help?

Don't fret--it's fixable--and putting a color on the bleached hair will plump it up a bit and give it more body.

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Could you explain the different hair types, I dont fully understand. My hair strands are very fine fine, and have a restrictive tight cuticle (natural state pre colouring). My hair is very fine, but have lots of it.

Have I chosen the wrong the wrong type as 1a?

Thank you!

Malibu Barbie
June 29th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I would let your hair rest. I use goldwell kerasilk shampoo the conditioner is also wonderful I use argan oil. Without touching it I can't really know how bad it is. It might not be as bad as you think.
Try washing it once a week and air drying only for now. Find yourself a good hairdresser and ask what they think. It is so important you ask many questions and go to an experienced colorist when doing blonde hair.

I wouldn't cut your hair. I have done awful things to my hair over the years. It had some rough times but my hair survived and I never cut it off. Sometimes, during the summer the salt water and sun would bleach my hair awful.. Good luck

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I am å hairdresser ånd å damaged Twitter can actually become healthy again og you use the right products on it. I have har hair elastic as rubberbands and now i canteven pull the hairs off my head. All you need is a treatment that is made to reconstruckt the hair in a 3d way. The reason Why the hair gets soft and elastic is because å bleach removes somthing called SS-bindings (atleast we call it that in norway). Redken has products called extreme and those products are for really damaged hair (not dry hair). Especially the treatment called extreme cat, is good for hair that is almost jello like when wet. your hair will not get soft by this treatment bur it will over time get really strong again. What you do is to wash your hair, then toweldry slightly so hair is damp, then you spray the cat treatment evenly on the damaged area, then esotel five minutes, ane spray on again, and wait five møre minutes and repeat. Repeat five times, and rinse and use a good moisture conditioner. After slikt this your hair should have gained about 25 % of it strenght back, so After sine weeks/ months your hair will be almost like it was.. hope this helps, and i hope you understand What i meant even thoug my english is not the best. :)

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Holy molly i wrote from my phone and it has autocorrected so much!! I am A hairdresser, AND a damaged HAIR can become strong again. Not &#229; damaged twitter.. LOL..

BohoClassic
June 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Holy molly i wrote from my phone and it has autocorrected so much!! I am A hairdresser, AND a damaged HAIR can become strong again. Not å damaged twitter.. LOL..
That was so funny!!!!!:laugh:

sugar&nutmeg
June 29th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Holy molly i wrote from my phone and it has autocorrected so much!! I am A hairdresser, AND a damaged HAIR can become strong again. Not å damaged twitter.. LOL..

Because, as we all know, nothing can mend a damaged Twitter!

On-topic: I've never colored my hair (brief Sun-In episode looong ago), and my heart is aching for the OP. I hope the suggestions here will help...

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I definitly have to repost this when i am coming home to my pc. I almost died when i read what my phone had autocorrected things to. So embarassing!!

Rocket22
June 29th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I definitly have to repost this when i am coming home to my pc. I almost died when i read what my phone had autocorrected things to. So embarassing!!

Awe I found it very funny... had my chuckle for the day!!!! I have done this with text messages and all I can say was it's a good thing it was to Friends.:)

Arya
June 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Could you explain the different hair types, I dont fully understand. My hair strands are very fine fine, and have a restrictive tight cuticle (natural state pre colouring). My hair is very fine, but have lots of it.

Have I chosen the wrong the wrong type as 1a?

Thank you!

No, you picked correctly. But straight hair is the usually the most resilient to damage, so I'm saying you should treat it like it's a more delicate structure than you're used to. 1s are straight 2s are wavy 3s are curly and 4s are tight coils/ z shaped 'kinky' strands.

kmoc123
June 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I would not cut it...I am not a stylist, but I would just baby baby baby it and let it grow out....waist length hair takes too much heart and soul! Maybe just give it some time and extra love...

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I am å hairdresser ånd å damaged Twitter can actually become healthy again og you use the right products on it. I have har hair elastic as rubberbands and now i canteven pull the hairs off my head. All you need is a treatment that is made to reconstruckt the hair in a 3d way. The reason Why the hair gets soft and elastic is because å bleach removes somthing called SS-bindings (atleast we call it that in norway). Redken has products called extreme and those products are for really damaged hair (not dry hair). Especially the treatment called extreme cat, is good for hair that is almost jello like when wet. your hair will not get soft by this treatment bur it will over time get really strong again. What you do is to wash your hair, then toweldry slightly so hair is damp, then you spray the cat treatment evenly on the damaged area, then esotel five minutes, ane spray on again, and wait five møre minutes and repeat. Repeat five times, and rinse and use a good moisture conditioner. After slikt this your hair should have gained about 25 % of it strenght back, so After sine weeks/ months your hair will be almost like it was.. hope this helps, and i hope you understand What i meant even thoug my english is not the best. :)

this is what it actually was supposed to say:P

I am a hairdresser and a really damaged hair can actually become healthy again if you use the right products on it and treat it like it was the finest silky thread. I have had hair damaged so much that it was elastic as rubberbands because i went from dark, to blonde, and to dark, and now blonde again, because i am naturally blonde so i was thinking better blonde and not color it as often, than dying the roots dark every 3 weeks. after lots and lots of treatments with the redken extreme cat treatment it is almost as good as new. i may post a picture of it later:) and it is not elastic when wet anymore:DD

All you need is a treatment that is made to reconstruckt the hair in a 3D way. The reason Why the hair gets soft and elastic after a bleach/perm is because a treatment like that removes 1/4 of something called SS-bindings (atleast we call it that in norway). Redken has products called extreme and those products are for really damaged hair from chemicals. they will NOT help on dry hair, or make your hair soft, because this is ONLY proteins and building bricks for your hair.

Especially the treatment called redken extreme cat, is good for hair that is almost jello like and Can be pulled right off when wet. your hair will not get soft by this treatment but it will over time get really strong again.

What you do is to wash your hair, then toweldry slightly so hair is damp, then you spray the cat treatment evenly on the damaged area, then wait five for minutes, and spray on again, and wait five more minutes and repeat again. Repeat until you have done this five times in a row, and rinse and use a good moisture conditioner. After this your hair should have restored atleast 25 % of it strenght back, so After some weeks/ months using this your hair will be almost like it was.

hope this helps, and i hope you understand What i meant even thoug my english is not the best.

BTW. you do not need to be afraid of hairdressers, but choose only the ones you know are great at long hair. a hairdresser usally has different things they are better on than other things, so hear around with longhaired friends and find your favorite. i personally think i am best at longhair cutting/higlighting/coloring, because i love to take care of my longhaired costumers, because long hair that is not extension or fake is really rare. i am so impressed by all natural hairgrowers here!

lots of treatment-hugs from me:)

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
this is what it actually was supposed to say:P

I am a hairdresser and a really damaged hair can actually become healthy again if you use the right products on it and treat it like it was the finest silky thread. I have had hair damaged so much that it was elastic as rubberbands because i went from dark, to blonde, and to dark, and now blonde again, because i am naturally blonde so i was thinking better blonde and not color it as often, than dying the roots dark every 3 weeks. after lots and lots of treatments with the redken extreme cat treatment it is almost as good as new. i may post a picture of it later:) and it is not elastic when wet anymore:DD

All you need is a treatment that is made to reconstruckt the hair in a 3D way. The reason Why the hair gets soft and elastic after a bleach/perm is because a treatment like that removes 1/4 of something called SS-bindings (atleast we call it that in norway). Redken has products called extreme and those products are for really damaged hair from chemicals. they will NOT help on dry hair, or make your hair soft, because this is ONLY proteins and building bricks for your hair.

Especially the treatment called redken extreme cat, is good for hair that is almost jello like and Can be pulled right off when wet. your hair will not get soft by this treatment but it will over time get really strong again.

What you do is to wash your hair, then toweldry slightly so hair is damp, then you spray the cat treatment evenly on the damaged area, then wait five for minutes, and spray on again, and wait five more minutes and repeat again. Repeat until you have done this five times in a row, and rinse and use a good moisture conditioner. After this your hair should have restored atleast 25 % of it strenght back, so After some weeks/ months using this your hair will be almost like it was.

hope this helps, and i hope you understand What i meant even thoug my english is not the best.

BTW. you do not need to be afraid of hairdressers, but choose only the ones you know are great at long hair. a hairdresser usally has different things they are better on than other things, so hear around with longhaired friends and find your favorite. i personally think i am best at longhair cutting/higlighting/coloring, because i love to take care of my longhaired costumers, because long hair that is not extension or fake is really rare. i am so impressed by all natural hairgrowers here!

lots of treatment-hugs from me:)

Thank you for your very good advice, you have grasped my hair problem exactly! :cheese:

And confirmed to me PROTEIN is the way to go (toughten up damaged area, not moisture (for now). Which is what I thought!

I have spent a fortune on Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi keratin treatment shampoo's, intensive cond and con/ leave-in oils.
Also the Ojon damage reverse range to alternate with. But I will invest in the redken cat, as I was intending to purchase the Redken anti-snap anyway.

I currently Ojon oil my hair once a week for moisture and protection. Should I still do this? Or will it interfer with the protein intake (cos oil coats hair, maybe bad in my case)?

Again thank you, and hugs being sent your way. Maybe I can keep my long hair on my head! :eyebrows: x

honeyblonde
June 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry this happened :(. Is one side less damaged than the other?? If so.. you could do a side part, add some bangs?? I would not cut it off!!! Condition, hot oil treatments, avocado treatments, protein treatments, they will help!! This is EXACTLY why I do my own roots!! Yes, I have been there!!! I went to a salon years ago for highlights and came home with gummy, broken off strands!!! It will recover and be healthy again!!! :blossom:

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry this happened :(. Is one side less damaged than the other?? If so.. you could do a side part, add some bangs?? I would not cut it off!!! Condition, hot oil treatments, avocado treatments, protein treatments, they will help!! This is EXACTLY why I do my own roots!! Yes, I have been there!!! I went to a salon years ago for highlights and came home with gummy, broken off strands!!! It will recover and be healthy again!!! :blossom:

Thank you! You are all giving me hope...and I am thinking I may actually avoid the "buzz cut" afterall x

I have never done my own roots, but yes I think I could probably have done a better job (I am OCD LOL)...

Before this damage, she would always miss wee bits here and there, and I wouldnt notice til I got home. Even this time when she went bleach happy there is STILL missed bits inbetween the damage this time. To think I paid her &#163;70 every 4-6 weeks to waste my hair :(

Tigermama
June 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Oh man! I am sorry this happened to you. We are our own worst critics, and maybe it is not as bad as it seems. The first time I ever got whole head hilights, the hairdresser decided to spend over an hour doing her own hair, and forgot all about me. I was able prevent some breakage with the nexxus emergencee protein treatment. It does say to avoid the scalp though. Maybe you could begin using it when you have a bit of a margin between the damage and your scalp. I also used redkin anit snap, which does contain cones. It smells like fruit punch. I definitely noticed less hair in the comb while using it. The emergencee is big guns of protein, so if you use it definitely follow with a deep condition. I still use it after two years (about every 6 weeks), because the damaged area is now once again BSL. The anti snap is no longer necessary though. Best of luck, and I understand how you feel for sure!

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Oh man! I am sorry this happened to you. We are our own worst critics, and maybe it is not as bad as it seems. The first time I ever got whole head hilights, the hairdresser decided to spend over an hour doing her own hair, and forgot all about me. I was able prevent some breakage with the nexxus emergencee protein treatment. It does say to avoid the scalp though. Maybe you could begin using it when you have a bit of a margin between the damage and your scalp. I also used redkin anit snap, which does contain cones. It smells like fruit punch. I definitely noticed less hair in the comb while using it. The emergencee is big guns of protein, so if you use it definitely follow with a deep condition. I still use it after two years (about every 6 weeks), because the damaged area is now once again BSL. The anti snap is no longer necessary though. Best of luck, and I understand how you feel for sure!

Thank you for sharing with me...Lots of people have told me a buzz cut is the only answer. But it has given me hope, that all you gorgeous long haired ladies, have managed to grow it out and not had to go for the chop! :D

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you for your very good advice, you have grasped my hair problem exactly! :cheese:

And confirmed to me PROTEIN is the way to go (toughten up damaged area, not moisture (for now). Which is what I thought!

I have spent a fortune on Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi keratin treatment shampoo's, intensive cond and con/ leave-in oils.
Also the Ojon damage reverse range to alternate with. But I will invest in the redken cat, as I was intending to purchase the Redken anti-snap anyway.

I currently Ojon oil my hair once a week for moisture and protection. Should I still do this? Or will it interfer with the protein intake (cos oil coats hair, maybe bad in my case)?

Again thank you, and hugs being sent your way. Maybe I can keep my long hair on my head! :eyebrows: x

you can keep up with moisture too, but mainly use as much protein as you can, But to keep a good balance in your hair it is great to use both. if you notice that the length of your hair does not need that much protein, use more moisture there.
btw the redken products are pretty cheap at feelunique.com :)

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
and something you can do to minimize the outgrowth is to lowlight your hair with a semi permanent hair color. lots of hairdressers have what i call a minicolor. that product is for really damaged hair, and has a peroxide on 2,8% and it is loaded with nourishment to get the hair healthy. at my salon we also have a colour that is not to blend with peroxide. it is a two component cream and you apply it directly to your hair, so it will not cause more damage. that way it is easier to get an even "natural" higlightet color on your hair.. i so badly wish that i could be the hairdresser to every girl with a hairdressing trauma XD

PrincessBlondie
June 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM
you can keep up with moisture too, but mainly use as much protein as you can, But to keep a good balance in your hair it is great to use both. if you notice that the length of your hair does not need that much protein, use more moisture there.
btw the redken products are pretty cheap at feelunique.com :)

and something you can do to minimize the outgrowth is to lowlight your hair with a semi permanent hair color. lots of hairdressers have what i call a minicolor. that product is for really damaged hair, and has a peroxide on 2,8&#37; and it is loaded with nourishment to get the hair healthy. at my salon we also have a colour that is not to blend with peroxide. it is a two component cream and you apply it directly to your hair, so it will not cause more damage. that way it is easier to get an even "natural" higlightet color on your hair.. i so badly wish that i could be the hairdresser to every girl with a hairdressing trauma XD

Thank you again for the advice above!

I am concentrating the protein on the damaged root areas, but my lengths are loving it more (go figure). I will now make sure I balance with lots of moisture as well. Thank you for clearing that up!

Yes, I am FINISHED with soft bleach or colour! I love being light blonde (15 years) but I love my hair more and this episode has scared me. So, I am growing my virgin hair in, bleach free (gonna be hard). And yes, a mini depoist only dark colour (low lights) through my lengths would seem the best option, to grow all this out. But to be honest, even the 2.8% hydrogen peroxide is making my jelly hair shake with fear.

My natural colour is level 5 light brown (orange undertones) with LOTS of golden natural highlights.

x

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Thank you again for the advice above!

I am concentrating the protein on the damaged root areas, but my lengths are loving it more (go figure). I will now make sure I balance with lots of moisture as well. Thank you for clearing that up!

Yes, I am FINISHED with soft bleach or colour! I love being light blonde (15 years) but I love my hair more and this episode has scared me. So, I am growing my virgin hair in, bleach free (gonna be hard). And yes, a mini depoist only dark colour (low lights) through my lengths would seem the best option, to grow all this out. But to be honest, even the 2.8% hydrogen peroxide is making my jelly hair shake with fear.

My natural colour is level 5 light brown (orange undertones) with LOTS of golden natural highlights.

x

just focus alot on the jello hair, an when you feel like the hair is getting strong you can go to a professional colorist if there is any of them where you live, and tell them the story, and that you are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally scared to break down your hair more. but hey. is there any salon with the brand goldwell near you? they have a completely harmless color named elumen. this is a pigmented jelly that is really good. i used to dye my hair pink with that one and it lasts forever, and you can mix them like paint until you get the shade you desire:)

and you can use your golden pigments to make your hair really glowy and shiny. just make sure it doesent tur orange by sometimes using a purple/ blue pigmentet treatment like redken perfect platinum:) that one is really nice to use if you have unwanted yellow tones:)

McFearless
June 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry. :( This is really tough. It isn't hopeless though. You can definately baby your hair until it grows to a length you are comfortable with, then you can cut it off.

If I were you i'd avoid drying out my strands, further encouraging breakage. Try to stretch your washes. Everytime you wet your hair the stretching caused by your strands swelling with water will break your hair. Use dry shampoo to keep the greasies at bay.

Oil is your best friend. Coconut oil decreases protein loss so you might want to use that. Oils with ceramides like Safflower and Grapeseed oil will help keep your hair as strong as possible. I'd always keep a very thin layer of oil on your hair. Protective updos are good and try to manipulate your hair as little as possible. Wide tooth comb, no harsh styling or brushing, etc.

You could also look into Monistat, the famous growth aid. You might be able to cut your growing out time by half with it.

P.S- Salon products aren't the best for your hair because they are from a salon. Most of the time they are overpriced and hyped because of the names they are attached to. Don't waste your money where you don't need to.

Good luck!

Darkhorse1
June 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
There are a lot of things on a google search if you use 'over bleached hair'. Maybe do that---seemingly lots of great ideas, including avacado treatment (they are very oily)

Oiling seems to be the way to go,but from what I'm finding (and I use that very loosely because I don't always believe what is on the net), there are levels of damage.

Good luck to you!!!

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry. :( This is really tough. It isn't hopeless though. You can definately baby your hair until it grows to a length you are comfortable with, then you can cut it off.

If I were you i'd avoid drying out my strands, further encouraging breakage. Try to stretch your washes. Everytime you wet your hair the stretching caused by your strands swelling with water will break your hair. Use dry shampoo to keep the greasies at bay.

Oil is your best friend. Coconut oil decreases protein loss so you might want to use that. Oils with ceramides like Safflower and Grapeseed oil will help keep your hair as strong as possible. I'd always keep a very thin layer of oil on your hair. Protective updos are good and try to manipulate your hair as little as possible. Wide tooth comb, no harsh styling or brushing, etc.

You could also look into Monistat, the famous growth aid. You might be able to cut your growing out time by half with it.

P.S- Salon products aren't the best for your hair because they are from a salon. Most of the time they are overpriced and hyped because of the names they are attached to. Don't waste your money where you don't need to.

Good luck!

there is actually products that is worth every penny. i know alot of products that sucks bug time, but there are some products that i will never stop using, because they are like magic. latest today i tested a product that sucked big time, and it was expensive, but it was not right for my hair so it felt like.. well.. the feeling you get when you have been in salt water. i actually have 3 years education in hair, so i know ALOT about hair/damage:)

babybabycat
June 29th, 2011, 02:43 PM
So nice to see that you have gotten such great advice and support during a hair-crisis. I wish you luck, I know your hair will continue to look fabulous.

McFearless
June 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
there is actually products that is worth every penny. i know alot of products that sucks bug time, but there are some products that i will never stop using, because they are like magic. latest today i tested a product that sucked big time, and it was expensive, but it was not right for my hair so it felt like.. well.. the feeling you get when you have been in salt water. i actually have 3 years education in hair, so i know ALOT about hair/damage:)

Ya you're right. There are products that work and are more than hype. The OP mentioned using the best salon products that money can buy...so thats why I said that.

I'm interested in these products that you will never stop using :)

kittymallow
June 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ya you're right. There are products that work and are more than hype. The OP mentioned using the best salon products that money can buy...so thats why I said that.

I'm interested in these products that you will never stop using :)

number one is definetly all the treatments from redken. they can tame any type of hair! and argan oil. and the redken extreme cat is definetly number one if you are having a really chemical disaster.. and the shine oil and split end mender from pureology. and joico k-pack depp reconstructor (i only use it in my lengts becase i start to itc a little bit in my scalp if i get to much product on it.
BUT if you have to choose only ONE thing i would have gotten the purple treatment in a jar from redken. you can use it on almost any hair, and it moist up the driest frizziest hair, and adds alot of shine, and it also contains some proteins so you can safely use it on damaged hair to:) i think those above are my favs, but i migth maybe have forgotten something:)

Toadstool
June 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM

OMG I laughed so much!

OP, you sound like you know what your hair needs, and other people have given you some great advice. As someone who melted her own fringe off with bleach last year, I have no advice but send my commiserations, and am very glad it sounds like you will be able to keep your hair :)

McFearless
June 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
number one is definetly all the treatments from redken. they can tame any type of hair! and argan oil. and the redken extreme cat is definetly number one if you are having a really chemical disaster.. and the shine oil and split end mender from pureology. and joico k-pack depp reconstructor (i only use it in my lengts becase i start to itc a little bit in my scalp if i get to much product on it.
BUT if you have to choose only ONE thing i would have gotten the purple treatment in a jar from redken. you can use it on almost any hair, and it moist up the driest frizziest hair, and adds alot of shine, and it also contains some proteins so you can safely use it on damaged hair to:) i think those above are my favs, but i migth maybe have forgotten something:)

Thank you:D I'll check them out. Growing out chemical damage is such a pain.

RitaCeleste
June 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM
kittymallow, how do redkin products compare to AOHR or Kera Care Humecto, or Aphogee reconstructors? Have you tried any these to know how they compare? I can't find any product comparisons on Redkin to what I'm already using. How about on mixed hair, white, african, and native american and color-treated? I got some texture and you said the magic word, TAME! lol

Darkhorse1
June 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Just a note--kittymallow, what is available to you may not be available to north americans. I know a friend of mine uses a schwarzkpof line that they don't sell here---we get that make, just not the Gliss line here (my friend is in Finland).

It's sad because I'd love to try all sorts of products :D Like I wish they sold Timotei here again :(

kittymallow
June 30th, 2011, 04:32 AM
kittymallow, how do redkin products compare to AOHR or Kera Care Humecto, or Aphogee reconstructors? Have you tried any these to know how they compare? I can't find any product comparisons on Redkin to what I'm already using. How about on mixed hair, white, african, and native american and color-treated? I got some texture and you said the magic word, TAME! lol

Well redken has alot of different products from everything like superthin flat nordic hair to superfrizz. I have worked with pureology, redken, matrix,affinage, tigi, fudge and probably some more, but redken is definetly my favorites. To tame frizz the smooth down is super! And they smell clean and and not to overperfumed. This is only my experience thouhgh. Hope there is no autocorrects here now. LOL :P

kittymallow
June 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Just a note--kittymallow, what is available to you may not be available to north americans. I know a friend of mine uses a schwarzkpof line that they don't sell here---we get that make, just not the Gliss line here (my friend is in Finland).

It's sad because I'd love to try all sorts of products :D Like I wish they sold Timotei here again :(
I shop all of my products online on either strawberrynet, or feelunique, so all of the products i reccomend should be availiable for most countries i thnink :)
i love trying new products and some products work magic, others is so crappy that they should never been invented! Maybe i will do some revievs on what i use :)

florenonite
June 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Be careful with cassia with hair as light as yours, PrincessBlondie. It is actually yellow in colour, so it's colourless on most hair colours but on very fair hair you risk turning it yellow.

PrincessBlondie
June 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Be careful with cassia with hair as light as yours, PrincessBlondie. It is actually yellow in colour, so it's colourless on most hair colours but on very fair hair you risk turning it yellow.

Thank you! I appreciate the warning, I don't think I am going down the henna route with my hair type/processing!

Many people post what is good for their particular hair type and what works for them. But what works for one hair type, can be a disaster for another....

xx

PrincessBlondie
June 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I bought Redken anti-snap leave-in and Extreme cat today at a salon. I got a bargain, I got both for £23. :cheese: Saved nearly £10, because I bought both. Will report how I get on with them!

PrincessBlondie
June 30th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I shop all of my products online on either strawberrynet, or feelunique, so all of the products i reccomend should be availiable for most countries i thnink :)
i love trying new products and some products work magic, others is so crappy that they should never been invented! Maybe i will do some revievs on what i use :)

I would love to see you review products, cos it is VERY clear you know exactly what you are talking about! :D

I REALLY rate Ojon products highly, scientifically proven effects on hair. Pricey but worth every penny! I thought coconut oil was the best, but Ojon beats it by a MILE!

RitaCeleste
June 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM
At what I saw that stuff selling for it would have to. But I can't load my hair with it at that price before coloring to protect my hair from peroxide like I can with coconut oil. I could never try a heavy oiling with it. It would be a product I bought and saved because it cost me too dearly to really dare use it except for special occasions. That's how I am, I end up just hoarding things and refusing to use them up if they are too costly. lol Now if I get a good deal on something, I feel free to roll in it.:p

Kathie
June 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I use to heavily foil my hair too. Most of it was a very light blond when I joined LHC. It was also dry and very tangy when wet. After time it has most definitely improved! I have now hennaed over my bleached hair and treat it with all kinds of oils. I think your hair will recover to some degree, it just needs some time.

PrincessBlondie
June 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
At what I saw that stuff selling for it would have to. But I can't load my hair with it at that price before coloring to protect my hair from peroxide like I can with coconut oil. I could never try a heavy oiling with it. It would be a product I bought and saved because it cost me too dearly to really dare use it except for special occasions. That's how I am, I end up just hoarding things and refusing to use them up if they are too costly. lol Now if I get a good deal on something, I feel free to roll in it.:p

Ha ha, I have just posted for you to purchase Ojon on your "Stiff hair" thread. Its pretty expensive but worth EVERY penny of the £31-45 price tag. And you only need to use it every week, instead of the coconut oil....I promise it will soften up your stiff hair (which I guess is from overuse of protein and coconut oil ;)) x

kittymallow
June 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM

the thing about expensive product is if you use a lot it is just wasted! to my apl i use a TEABLESPOON of treatment at a time. the product works as it is supposed to even when using little. so you dont even need to feel the treatment in the hair for it to work, because it is super consentrated:)

kittymallow
June 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I would love to see you review products, cos it is VERY clear you know exactly what you are talking about! :D

I REALLY rate Ojon products highly, scientifically proven effects on hair. Pricey but worth every penny! I thought coconut oil was the best, but Ojon beats it by a MILE!

okay then i will try to make some reviews in the weekend maybe?:)

kittymallow
June 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I bought Redken anti-snap leave-in and Extreme cat today at a salon. I got a bargain, I got both for £23. :cheese: Saved nearly £10, because I bought both. Will report how I get on with them!

NICE:) when using the cat treatment only spray about 7-10 sprays evenly over the damaged area, and massage it to spread it evenly:) and then follow the description i made earlier:) looking forward to hear the results:cheese:

Vanilla Mint
July 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM
Gah, just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you :( Maintaining long, healthy platinum locks is surely something to take pride in, and I can't imagine having that ruined by a single stupid salon mistake. I hope you find some good remedies; while there's not a lot that can be done to fix the damage, there are a lot of silicone-based products that could camouflage it. Do you use any serums? You might also slick down the fuzzies on top by spritzing a little plain hairspray in your hands and smoothing it on top of your head. Aloe very gel may be a healthier option, and once the fuzzies grow enough so that they're not "spiky" I'm sure they'll be easier to smooth down.

kittymallow
July 2nd, 2011, 06:07 AM

Have you noticed any diffesence yet?? :)

PrincessBlondie
July 2nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Have you noticed any diffesence yet?? :)

I have used the anti-snap twice and the damaged hair at the roots section seems a bit smoother (not much), the healthy lengths/ends have responded better.

I have only used the extreme cat once (yesterday), and not noticed much difference yet. I only applied it once for 5 mins, not the multiple times you recommended, this is because I have already been putting alot of keratin/protein onto my hair via Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Intensive treatment, thus terrified of over doing the protein.

I will probably notice a difference by the time a week passes, I am sure (fingers crossed).

Delila
July 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, but thought I'd mention that I've heard Aphogee can be quite useful in this kind of situation. It's a really intense protein treatment, IIRC.

I only used it a few times, it's the sort of stuff that dries really hard and you have to be careful not to snap off strands of hair. As my hair got longer, it seemed more vulnerable.

The routine I stuck with for a long time seemed good to me: I used each of the first three on my hair for about 30 minutes with a heat cap, then rinsed and put on the next. The hot oil stuff is one of those fairly quick things, put it on for a minute and rinse.

1) Nexxuss Emergencee (protein treatment)
2) Paul Mitchell's Super Charged Moisturizer (heavy duty moisture)
3) Roux Porosity Control conditioner (provides porosity control for porous hair)
4) Hot oil treatment (final step, helps seal in moisture)

kittymallow
July 2nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have used the anti-snap twice and the damaged hair at the roots section seems a bit smoother (not much), the healthy lengths/ends have responded better.

I have only used the extreme cat once (yesterday), and not noticed much difference yet. I only applied it once for 5 mins, not the multiple times you recommended, this is because I have already been putting alot of keratin/protein onto my hair via Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Intensive treatment, thus terrified of over doing the protein.

I will probably notice a difference by the time a week passes, I am sure (fingers crossed).

i know it may seem as a lot to do the cat 5 times, but by doing that your hair will become about 25 % stronger by the first use:) and the damaged area cant get enough proteins so just keep it going:) The reason it is like jello is because there is a lack of proteins on the inside of the hair:) i have never had a protein build up and i have used almost only proteins for the last 3 years:) also finished of atleast 3 bottles of cat:) really hopes this helps much. just ordered alot of new products yesterday, so i will do some reviews when i recive them:)

dmarie16
July 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! :( I had the same thing happen to me at a salon-orange roots do not look good with platinum blond hair!!! I had this happen not once, but TWICE!! Both times at a salon! The last time I went back to brown and now I use henna/indigo/amla to color my hair so I NEVER get the temptation to go blonde again...although I really did love the color when done correctly

The salon gave me a couple hundred $$$ in free products because I was so traumatized :shocked:

K-pak literally saved my hair from snapping off. I used the reconstructor and hydrator twice a week. My hair soaked up the keratin like crazy. I would slather reconstructor on my hair and use a shower cap for 30 minutes then rinse and use the hydrator followed by another cool rinse.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Uh oh--now I'm in trouble ;) If you can find these online, I feel major enabling coming on.

I know we have ojon hair products here, but I don't think it would work for my needs. I'd LOVE to read any reviews of products kittymallow--I'm especially looking for Ph balanced shampoos that are for color treated hair, but someone who needs to clarify hair due to an oily scalp and dirty lifestyle (I work with horses/outdoors/sweat alot)

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Oops--sorry to the OP--just wanted to say a client of mine bleached her hair and it turned orange, so she put bleach on it again to get it more blonde. When she told me that, I though 'omg, your hair may fall out'. However, she went to get it professionally fixed, and the hair dresser said her hair was in good shape--she has very thick/coarse hair.

So, I'm wondering perhaps go to a different salon and maybe get an assesment by a colorist to see if they can determine if damage has been done, and what you could do about it?

PrincessBlondie
July 3rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Gah, just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you :( Maintaining long, healthy platinum locks is surely something to take pride in, and I can't imagine having that ruined by a single stupid salon mistake. I hope you find some good remedies; while there's not a lot that can be done to fix the damage, there are a lot of silicone-based products that could camouflage it. Do you use any serums? You might also slick down the fuzzies on top by spritzing a little plain hairspray in your hands and smoothing it on top of your head. Aloe very gel may be a healthier option, and once the fuzzies grow enough so that they're not "spiky" I'm sure they'll be easier to smooth down.

Thank you! There isnt many spiky bits, thank goodness, just around the very front hairline, sides and nape, not on top of head. Phew! x

I haven't read the whole thread, but thought I'd mention that I've heard Aphogee can be quite useful in this kind of situation. It's a really intense protein treatment, IIRC.

I only used it a few times, it's the sort of stuff that dries really hard and you have to be careful not to snap off strands of hair. As my hair got longer, it seemed more vulnerable.

The routine I stuck with for a long time seemed good to me: I used each of the first three on my hair for about 30 minutes with a heat cap, then rinsed and put on the next. The hot oil stuff is one of those fairly quick things, put it on for a minute and rinse.

1) Nexxuss Emergencee (protein treatment)
2) Paul Mitchell's Super Charged Moisturizer (heavy duty moisture)
3) Roux Porosity Control conditioner (provides porosity control for porous hair)
4) Hot oil treatment (final step, helps seal in moisture)

Thank you for sharing your regime!

i know it may seem as a lot to do the cat 5 times, but by doing that your hair will become about 25 % stronger by the first use and the damaged area cant get enough proteins so just keep it going The reason it is like jello is because there is a lack of proteins on the inside of the hair i have never had a protein build up and i have used almost only proteins for the last 3 years also finished of atleast 3 bottles of cat really hopes this helps much. just ordered alot of new products yesterday, so i will do some reviews when i recive them

My hair feels alot less like Jello in my roots area now, a bit dry even when wet now, which means the hair is "firming up" at last. I did the cat treatment twice today, after shampooing with Ojon and then put Ojon ultra hydrating conditioner after, then Redken anti-snap after blotting with towel.

Hopefully after a few weeks of this, my hair structure will be back to normal. Very few hairs are coming out during washing and combing. So, I should try not to worry! :)

Oh I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! I had the same thing happen to me at a salon-orange roots do not look good with platinum blond hair!!! I had this happen not once, but TWICE!! Both times at a salon! The last time I went back to brown and now I use henna/indigo/amla to color my hair so I NEVER get the temptation to go blonde again...although I really did love the color when done correctly

The salon gave me a couple hundred $$$ in free products because I was so traumatized

K-pak literally saved my hair from snapping off. I used the reconstructor and hydrator twice a week. My hair soaked up the keratin like crazy. I would slather reconstructor on my hair and use a shower cap for 30 minutes then rinse and use the hydrator followed by another cool rinse.

Oh, I have had the "ginger roots" look at salons in the past also, so I feel your pain! I would rather have the dark roots, than have that awful golden/ginger colour.

I have fine hair, with a restrictive cuticle (resists colouring etc) and add the fact I am level 5 (orange undertones) virgin hair and this all means it takes a skilled colourist to lift my hair to the desired blonde, WITHOUT severe damage.

Oops--sorry to the OP--just wanted to say a client of mine bleached her hair and it turned orange, so she put bleach on it again to get it more blonde. When she told me that, I though 'omg, your hair may fall out'. However, she went to get it professionally fixed, and the hair dresser said her hair was in good shape--she has very thick/coarse hair.

So, I'm wondering perhaps go to a different salon and maybe get an assesment by a colorist to see if they can determine if damage has been done, and what you could do about it?

I have been to another salon for their opinion...They said if I am very careful with it and use treatments, it should be okay. (Though they saw all the broken bits around the hairline, sides, nape). :)

ilovejimmy
July 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
im really sorry for what the salon did to you. What did they say? how did they react? i had a similar situation happen to me 6months ago it was highlights, but alot the girl didnt understand the meaning of highlights she just gathered hair and put it in foils left it on wayyy to long and alot of my hair broke off. alot of the damage was on the left side and i literally had to cut the blonde strips out at the root which thinned my hair but momma it does grow back my has about 4-5 inches no lie. but i still have breakage, im just waiting for it to get long enough so i can cut it out. again i do know how you feel and beauty comes from the inside, my family helped me through this and my confidence is alot stronger now due to the fact that i went from beautiful hair that EVERYONE complimented to damaged hair to soso hair now and getting healthier everyday. time heals all wounds keep us posted chica!

PrincessBlondie
July 4th, 2011, 05:30 AM
im really sorry for what the salon did to you. What did they say? how did they react? i had a similar situation happen to me 6months ago it was highlights, but alot the girl didnt understand the meaning of highlights she just gathered hair and put it in foils left it on wayyy to long and alot of my hair broke off. alot of the damage was on the left side and i literally had to cut the blonde strips out at the root which thinned my hair but momma it does grow back my has about 4-5 inches no lie. but i still have breakage, im just waiting for it to get long enough so i can cut it out. again i do know how you feel and beauty comes from the inside, my family helped me through this and my confidence is alot stronger now due to the fact that i went from beautiful hair that EVERYONE complimented to damaged hair to soso hair now and getting healthier everyday. time heals all wounds keep us posted chica!

Thank you for your kind and understanding post! :) The hairdressers gave me a full refund, and told me I can get my hair done elsewhere from now on (cheeky or what). She was clearly embarassed and couldnt deny the damage/breakage around my hairline, but she said the soft/jelly hair in roots section was "normal" for bleached hair and is not over-processed...I have been salon blonde for 15 years and never had this soft/jelly feeling before. The salon gave me an in salon keratin treatment free also, but she said my hair felt fine. And then she pushed £73 worth of products onto me, which I paid for (stupid I know).I was polite and friendly when I complained, maybe that was my mistake...???? Maybe I should have kicked up a stink lol...

I hear you totally, I always get compliments on my hair and appearance. And this has knocked a big dent in my confidence, most people can't "see" the damage, but thats because I always wear my hair down, pull it back and the breakage can be seen... :(((