PDA

View Full Version : Instant messenger links below our names

akurah
March 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I had a random guy IM me yesterday on my Yahoo! IM, claiming to be from here. He gave me a username, which I searched, and it came back with zero posts.

He wasn't overtly creepy, but he was asking me questions that I considered disturbingly personal, such as my name and WHERE I worked. All in all this guy creeped me out and struck me as the sort we don't want hanging around.

Now I know you can't see the links to our IM usernames unless your logged in, but is there like a minimum post requirement that you have to meet before you can see them? If not, is it possible to impliment such a thing?

Thanks.

Pegasus Marsters
March 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately this happens. Not often, but it does. Some creepy creepy guy IMed me claiming to be from here well over a year ago. Couldn't find his username atall so basically told him where to stick it. The block button is your friend.

Beatnik Guy
March 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Even non member passing guest lurkers can see those. If you want to be sure now to receive unwanted IMs, I'd suggest not including your IM info.

snowbear
March 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I made a AIM screen name specifically for LHC, for that reason. If a creepy person IMs me there, I don't care, I'll just block them. I don't give out my real screen name.

Airmide
March 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Was it always this way? I thought you didn't used to be able to see that info unless you were a registered user.

I remember when I first joined (almost 2 years ago) user registration was down, I think it was for more than a month! I think I couldn't even post to site support, or maybe I didn't know how to.

Finally one member posted in the friendship forums with her yahoo ID, saying she wanted LHC chat buddies. So I messaged her on yahoo to say hi and ask about registration. She never responded but instantly edited her post to say how creepy it was that she'd already been messaged by a non-member, so she was removing her ID and people could just click on the profile link if they were registered.

Personally I think it's cool that anyone can see the IM links for that reason. If someone messages me and they haven't posted much, I'd still chat a little and see what they're like. If they're creepy you can always block them hehe.

I know on yahoo you can also make an ID that is a new name, but associate with your main ID. So you can be on the main one but receive messages there without people knowing your real name.

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I know on yahoo you can also make an ID that is a new name, but associate with your main ID. So you can be on the main one but receive messages there without people knowing your real name.

That's a useful bit of information.

I'm pretty sure you can't see those links unless you're logged in, because when I browse when not logged in at work, I can't see the messanger links below names.

Airmide
March 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hm, Akurah you may be right. I haven't checked myself on whether they show up when not logged in, I was just going by what Beatnick_Guy said, that even passing non-member lurkers can see them.

Let me know if you (anyone reading this) want me to post a mini-tutorial on how to create a new name ID linked to your main yahoo account. I found it a bit confusing at first but I think I've gotten the hang of it now, and it has come in quite handy.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I had a random guy IM me yesterday on my Yahoo! IM, claiming to be from here. He gave me a username, which I searched, and it came back with zero posts.

He wasn't overtly creepy, but he was asking me questions that I considered disturbingly personal, such as my name and WHERE I worked. All in all this guy creeped me out and struck me as the sort we don't want hanging around. I had the same thing happen to me. I wonder if it was the same guy. I alerted a mod so they can keep an eye on him. The questions he asked were just kinda yucky but not totally pervy. Just the same it was on the creepy side. I put the link in in case someone wanted to chat sometime. If it's just going to be a perv magnet I'll take it out of my info.