PDA

View Full Version : Hair for the Desert!

Barniie
June 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Hey again everyone!

So just some updates on whats happening in general with me and my hair i guess, I ordered some SPIN PINS (!) off eBay, but they got lost in the mail :confused:, so i've got them re-shipped and to arrive within two weeks! :)

Well this presents a problem- on Friday, I am going on a trip to central australia with a program that takes you to the pitjantjara lands and you get to go to lots of sacred sites and do community service etc. :D

My original plan was that the spin pins would have arrived by then, and those are what I would use for my hair. Seeing as that is no longer an option, what are your guys' opinion on how i should do my hair? It will be about 20 degrees (Celsius) during the day, chance of wet, and as low as -5 at night. :eek:

I need some easy hair styles that will take minimal/no hair accessories other than a hair tie and some bobby pins. It will need to last a day, if not more, and be protecting from the windy, dry air. My hair is a bit past bsl, very fine but thick and has some old layers and fringes growing out (layers @ about apl, and fringe at about tip-of-nose).

I have come up with:
French Braid
Ponytail

Thats it. :rolleyes:

any help from you guys? Thanks in advance!!!!
Barniie.

Juanita
June 28th, 2011, 05:56 AM
1 or 2 plaits(braids)
Heidi braids
BeeButt Bun.
by the way the little kids will want to touch your hair. When mine was longer than it is now, the little kids from out bush would like to touch and feel it. Cos you and your hair will be different to what they know. It doesn't worry me though they're just curious.

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Are you restricted hairtoy-wise because of safety, or because you're worried about them getting lost/damaged? If the latter, what about some child-size chopsticks? Even a couple of short-ish pencils? Cheap and cheerful, and if worst comes to worst and they're lost, it's only been a small outlay.

It sounds like braids are going to be your best friend; single, double, French, Dutch, you name it. They'll last a day or two and should stop you from overheating (but still showing the length so that the children can touch it, if you don't mind :) ). You could even do mini-braids and leave them in for the whole trip.

tigr
June 28th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I thought dutch braids held my bangs well. My bangs just slipped right out of french braids.

I often pin my bangs back right behind my hairline with a tiny flexi-8, small plastic clip or barrette, that keeps the bangs from slipping out, then I pony tail or bun with an octopus clip.

You could do whatever bun you wanted once the bangs were taken care of.

I've never experimented with bobby pins. I've always found them intimidatingly hard to use.

Whatever you do with your hair, have a good time!

Mrspuddinhead
June 29th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hi there!! I live in sunny Cali, Cali so I know a bit about life in the desert and the effects it can have on ones hair. If you have a mixed matched sock I would suggest turning it into a bun for sock buns. This is the style I use a lot due to the dry air. Any way I find it protects the length and ends plus its soo... easy. Best of luck!!