PDA

View Full Version : How important are proper hairsticks?

Monkey962
June 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I've recently come to the realization that my usual up-do (I hesitate to call it even that) is causing a lot of damage. What it is, is a braid folded up and held in place with elastics, and I would imagine the elastics are causing damage where they rub. When I realized this, I made my own hairsticks out of bamboo skewers, since I don't know of where I'd buy any around here, and I can't buy anything off the internet. Thing is, they don't hold worth diddly - the moment I take my hand off my newly-formed bun, it sags and sometimes falls out completely. I'm wondering if perhaps my technique is completely wrong, but I'm also curious that maybe the sticks are too thin, and not bendy enough. Either way, could it be that the reason I am so up-do challenged is that I need proper hairsticks?

Aliped
June 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Sorry Monkey, but it's not the hair sticks! :D My first few hair sticks were home made from bamboo skewers, and they are still my favorites, because I think they hold better than store bought ones.

katsrevenge
June 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
How are you sticking them in? Are you scooping up enough scalp hair?

I have a few painted bamboo takeout chopsticks and they hold like iron. If I bun just right I can even get just one to hold sometimes.

jeanniet
June 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Bamboo skewers might be too thin (I think I'd break them), but from the way you're describing your bun the problem may be the bun itself. Some buns will hold better with a clip like a Ficcare than with sticks. Twisted or wrapped buns do well with sticks or forks. Take a look at the articles section and try some of the buns there. A lazy wrap is easy to and very secure, so you might start there. :)

Roseate
June 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm wondering if perhaps my technique is completely wrong, but I'm also curious that maybe the sticks are too thin, and not bendy enough.

The kind of bamboo skewers I've seen are too thin, and too bendy. Most wooden hairsticks are about the diameter of a pencil or a chopstick, and they should not be flexible.

Actual chopsticks may be an option; you can cut them shorter, and sand and finish the cut-off end. Or actual pencils, too! I've seen a member here use the plain colored pencils with no eraser as hairsticks, it was pretty cute.

McFearless
June 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Try the same bun with a pencil and see if it holds. You'll know if it is the tool or hairstyle.

Mrspuddinhead
June 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I would suggest sanded down and painting chinese chopsticks. Tis what I have and they work great. Plus they are low cost.

Faolan
June 28th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I would definitely second the chopsticks idea. If there is an Asian grocery store near you it would be worth checking for nice ones instead of the snap apart disposables which tend to be blunt and splintery. Knitting needles also work (I think bamboo is good) or carefully sharpened pencils as someone else mentioned.

Method is huge too though and that might really be the problem. It took me ages to figure it out.

MissAlida
June 28th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I think the problem is your technique. I used to use those luminescent sticks they give you in the disco to put my hair in a bun. Those are very flexible, but they held my hair well. Maybe it depends on hair texture as well. But you should try plain wooden pencils, and experiment with them. Those should work. Good luck:)

jasper
June 28th, 2011, 06:17 AM
A bamboo skewer like the ones in the grocery store for grilling food would never hold for me. It would probably break! I reverse the direction of the stick to pick up scalp hair as I put it in, so that's enough force to snap flimsy sticks.

I found some child's chopsticks in an Asian market that make good hair sticks. They were already smooth, painted and a little but not too pointy. With cute animals on them.

Monkey962
June 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
How are you sticking them in? Are you scooping up enough scalp hair?

I have a few painted bamboo takeout chopsticks and they hold like iron. If I bun just right I can even get just one to hold sometimes.

I think that must be my problem. The ends of the skewers are still pretty sharp, despite sanding them down, so I usually avoid scraping them against my scalp.

The kind of bamboo skewers I've seen are too thin, and too bendy. Most wooden hairsticks are about the diameter of a pencil or a chopstick, and they should not be flexible.

Actual chopsticks may be an option; you can cut them shorter, and sand and finish the cut-off end. Or actual pencils, too! I've seen a member here use the plain colored pencils with no eraser as hairsticks, it was pretty cute.

I have actually used pencils once before, but I found that there's sometimes the tiniest of gaps between the lead and the wood, along with some rough wood, and can catch hair pretty well. :/

sugar&nutmeg
June 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I agree about the pencil problem, and cast another vote for chopsticks as an inexpensive solution.

I also sometimes use one of my 6mm double-point wood knitting needles (about 7" long).

Chiara
June 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I've also used empty biro (pen) shells with success, as long as the pen has a smooth exterior. You can remove the ink capsule from the pen once you've used the ink. I don't have particularly long hair, so not sure how it would work if you had a lot of hair, but works with my almost APL hair.

Lianna
June 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I'm sure you don't need any expensive acessories. Can you try can some plain hair pins (http://www.tiaramaking.com/Jewellery%20Findings_display_324_3.php) (not bobby pins) or maybe a knitting needle?

prettykitty
June 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I might try shortening some chopsticks....as I'd like some new hairsticks but I only need five inch long ones and they seem hard to find.

CrisDee
June 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I third (or fourth?) the chopsticks idea. I saved a few from some Chinese dinners, sanded them round, sanded nice round points on 'em and painted them with various colors of nail polish to match every outfit. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5166&pictureid=87854