PDA

View Full Version : Straightening at the hair dressers

Yasmine91
June 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Ok I will be going clubbing this weekend and I was thinking about straightening my hair. I know it's not good for my hair but I quite miss the straight look.

I'm thinking of sleeping with my hair oiled, washing it at home then going to the salon. and after the straightening do another deep oiling, what do you guys think? yes or no?

Dragon
June 27th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I think it would be better to do it your self if you have a straightening iron and use a heat protector. And the oiling before and the conditioning treatment after sounds like a great idea if you are going to do it. If you do get it done at a salon, It may be worth making sure they use a heat protector and that they don't use it on the hottest setting.

Mina_Harker
June 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
It depends on how you plan to straighten you hair. Some salons do a chemical straightening called a Brazilian blow out (I think thats what it is called at least) and it can be very dangerous because they use formaldahide (I think it was formaldahide, I read this a couple weeks ago and am a little rusty on the details). Those are REALLY bad for your hair. If you are just getting someone to flat iron your hair though it shouldn't be that bad, as long as you don't become a flat iron junky;)
Mina

ghilliegirl_an
June 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I agree if you have a half decent straightener do it yourself, they use totally unnecessary high temperatures at the salon so unless you have really tough hair to straighten it's just frying your hair more. I think if your hair is in good condition it shouldn't do much harm just this once especially if you do extra damage control after.

-Ashley

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't suggest the oiling right before- you may get some deep frying action. Other than that if you are flat ironing go for it.

kwaniesiam
June 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
One flat iron session is not going to trash your hair, go for it.

KittyLost
June 28th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I'm going to suggest getting it done at the salon. Some hairstylists know not to use the highest heats and the always use heat protection and the latest flat irons designed to not damage yoir hair so much witg ceramic plates and the rest. They section the hair and do it in layers so that they only need to go over the same bit once instead of several times risking more damage. Then they finish with a moisturising serum on the ends. At least this is my experience with my hairdresser. It can be a nice experience and you can pick up tips if you watch them for yourself. You could talk to the stylist about how she is going to do it before she does it to put yourself at ease.

I agree that you could do it yourself with a good straightener and heat protection but if you wanted to have someone else do your hair for a change then go to the salon. Your plans to deep condition are great so to minimalise damage and like the poster above me said that one session is not going to completely destroy your hair. I'd stay off the oil though, I think I've read about some dodgy happenenings with oil and flat irons.

Juneii
June 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM
using heat on your hair every once in a while is okay. I wouldn't suggest using oil before flat ironing it... hot oil + hair = lots of damage. Try a silicone heat protectant spray, if you go to a hairdresser they should be using it before bringing the flat iron to your hair.

kitten1986
June 28th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Have you tried wrapping your hair overnight? This produces lovely results on me that is better than the straightened because the ends are straight but there is still a little bounce in the root... possibly give it a go and see if you like the results before you fry your hair with the hot iron

alwayssmiling
June 28th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I would recommend using a good cleansing shampoo before, to make sure all build up is removed, followed by a long deep condition (plastic wrapped) that contains lots of cones and protein (if your hair can cope with it). Then a tiny amount of leave in at the ends and a genorous amount of heat protectant. Then the next wash I would do heavy oiling, shampoo with a moisture condition, plus generous amount of leave in. Tie it up and leave it be for a few days to recover.

MissAlida
June 28th, 2011, 02:33 AM
And this is why I always long for stick straight hair. You can always curl without using heat tools, but you can't straighten without a flat iron. Or can you?

|Xei
June 28th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Like the others said, doing it once isn't going to damage your hair significantly, so go for it and have fun.

As for the oil, I actually do lightly oil my hair before heat styling. But I always let it absorb, and then apply a silicone serum over top. I use low heat (usually the lowest possible setting, or close to it) and I have never had any problems with my hair getting fried.

celebriangel
June 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I...wouldn't.

I'd wrap it, personally, so you'd get almost-straight hair with a bit of movement in it still rather than stick straight, flat hair, and also no heat damage.

But that's totally just me. I'd advise you to go to a hairdresser you trust, and ask them about what they're going to do before they start.

julliams
June 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I haven't read the whole thread through so apologies if you have already been told this but:

a) if you are going to oil, do it before you wash. Do NOT straighten your hair with oil in it. I fyou plan to use a heat protector, put it on your hair as directed on the bottle (mostly when it is damp)

b) make sure your hair is completely BONE dry. If there is any moisture in there at all, it is not going to give you that totally pin straight look.

c) You can apply your oil or some kind of serum to your hair AFTER you have straightened your hair to make it "sit nice".

d) Enjoy your special night out and when someone compliments you on your hair, say "thanks" and try not to feel bad that you don't get the same amount of compliments when your hair is in it's natural state (speaking from experience here!) People notice when things are different and this is normally followed by a compliment. I'm sure they love your hair both ways.