PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Monistat Growth Test, for us by us

whitestiletto
June 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
So there are multiple massive threads (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156) , original archived thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=68526), about whether certain antifungals, when applied topically to the scalp, increase hair growth. Most popular is miconazole, the active ingredient in Monistat, but other things such as ketoconazole were reported.

I skimmed the thread but my scientific mind can't take it seriously because each person is measuring their own growth, and saying things like "seems like I have a lot more growth now!" Hair grows faster at times and slower at times, and measuring in and of itself seems error prone due to the very small variants in length, month to month, leading to a high noise to signal ratio. It is hard to precisely quantify hair length, and difficult to assign growth patterns to a single factor. Of course it's going to get longer, but how much of the increased growth is psychological and how much is real? Every individual is different, and in each person's anecdote, there is no control to compare with their experiment. :confused:

I am embarking on an experiment and urge others to join me so we can make this miconazole theory into a miconazole fact -- or fiction.

(I reaallllly want my hair to recover from a disaster salon cut, so I hope this works! :cheese: I'll report my result Oct 1, 2011.)

Experiment Protocol:

Duration: Three months (or longer if it works). It has been reported it takes a few weeks for the effects to start.

Beginning state: Grow out an obvious dye line. Deal with it. For 3 months.

If you are not growing out a dye line, create two dyed streaks (please make strong enough for contrast, and make each section at least 1 inch wide) using your dye of choice - bleach, red hair dye, henndigo much darker than your regular henna, whatevs.You will need one streak in the area where you are applying the miconazole, and one streak where you are not applying miconazole. This is the entire purpose of the experiment, to compare positive (miconazole) and negative (no treatment) on one person, so don't skip this part!

Positive (with miconazole): Part hair vertically from the ears, apply the solution only to hair from my earline forward. (You may choose a different arrangement if you please. You can hide the streaks inside the body of your hair, on the sides of your head above your ears and apply miconazole to the left or right side of your head if you desire.)

Negative Control: Do NOT apply any miconazole to hair from earline back (or to your alternate side).

Frequency: 2-3x/wk, applied at night before a shampoo day.

Solution recipe: Mixed 1/2 to 1/2 with water or oil of choice. Shake to mix in dye applicator bottle with squirt tip.
(Feel free to experiment with different mixes, but be consistent and report your mix along with your result)

How to apply: Directly to scalp. Reported easier to apply to wet hair. Massage well.

Hypothesis: After 3 months, the root length will differ significantly between the positive and control regions.

I will not include your results if I can't see visible root growth with and without miconazole on one head!

------------------------

Adverse Reactions
LHC-reported: Many have reported headaches, and also shedding at the beginning of treatment.

Gvt report: "Clinical studies show that miconazole nitrate cream is generally well tolerated. Most frequently reported reactions (mainly mild to moderate) in clinical trials included local irritation (16-21%), pruritus (23-27%), discharge (3-4%), headache (18-19%) and a burning sensation (24-26%), especially at the start of the treatment. Complaints of pelvic cramping, hives and skin rash have also been reported rarely. A higher incidence and severity of adverse reactions were found with miconazole 4% vaginal cream than with miconazole 2% vaginal cream." -- Source (http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/m/Monistat3creamdisposable.htm)

Positive LHC-reported side effects:
Decreased scalp flakes/less dandruff
Less shedding
Hair becomes thicker with continued use

------------------------

FAQ:
Q: Which cream should I get?
A: Any cream with 2% Miconazole. You can get them at the drugstore for vaginal yeast infections or for athlete's foot. You can get them on Amazon for a lot cheaper. Personally, I'm using Walgreen's brand vaginal cream 2% miconazole. Daktarin is popular reported by many to be effective.

Q: Will the potential headache side effect trigger my migraines?
A: Maybe, maybe not. Naturechild reports: " I usually have extremely bad migraines but not a one with this."

Q: How much growth will I get?
A: Most report about 1 inch growth per month, up from 1/4 to 1/2 inch regular.

------------------------

(a small sample of many)
LHC Member Reports:

Link to Official Poll (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2144)

decafejane: "grown about 2cm in the past 11 days,"

silkenblacksea: "I gained an inch a month (from October to January). This was a half- inch over my normal monthly growth which was - well, a half inch."

Madame_Librarian: " I didn't get any growth at all during that period. ... I believe my growth stall is more than likely stress related."

Jojo: "I was shedding loads before trying daktarin but since using it i shed hardly anything" .... "3 inches in 2 months, i normally grow just over 1/2" a month so in my case it doubled my growth rate."

chloeishere: " Approximately 5.25" in 6 months. I normally am an average to slow grower."

Suldrun: "Before MN I shed tons in the drain at every wash. I now notice maybe 5 hairs all day this includes finger combing, washing and putting up"

ilovelonghair: "I had no headache"

stepha: "I put the 4% monistat in about 5 times a week, no dilution. Sometimes the hair is wet, sometimes it's dry. Massage my scalp habitually, shampoo 2-3 times a week with a VO5, and comb either with fingers or a wide prong pick. I oil 3x weekly with coconut oil mixed with almond oil (for the smell, use it as body/face lotion too), and 3xwekk with 'Africa's Best Hair and Body oil.' I've gained 3 inches in less than a month."

whitestiletto
June 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM
So who's on board?

TheMechaGinger
June 27th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I started monistat but then quit because I just can't afford it right now but I'll definitely be watching this thread

WaitingSoLong
June 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I would venture to posture a potential problem. The back half of my hair naturally grows much faster than the front. I think a better comparison would be side by side (hair parted down middle). I also wonder how one gets the cream out without it touching the control side of the head.

Experiments I have done like this to myself involved: 1: know my regular growth rate. I measured my hair monthly for a year and kept a record. I noted 2 months of more growth, 2 months of less growth, making an average of 1/2" per month and 6" for the entire year. Then I proceeded to test my hair for however long I chose and measure as I always did and compare. Breakage can account for inaccuracy in my method. Even my roots from the sun-in I have used grow very unevenly. I measure 3" in some places and 5" in others.

Scientifically, this just cannot really be done. The amounts would need to be strictly controlled (I know, I am party pooping), the condition to the scalp when it was applied (how long since wash...the amount of sebum on the scalp would affect the absorption of the cream for ex. or even if cones are used, anything that could affect absorption) Dietary effects would need to be accounted for (i.e. stopped taking vitamins because I ran out and didn't have neough $ to buy more). I could go on...

Nonetheless, I have longed to see more controlled results for just this such thing. I think the longer one is willing to do this (say, 6+ months, more like a year), the better the results would be because 3 months could not rule out so many anomalies as dietary issues, natural growth spurts, etc.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I would be severely tempted to attempt to join the experiment but for the requirement of a dye strand. I will not do that. However, I will still watch this thread with interest!

whitestiletto
June 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Even if the front of my head grows a little slower than the back of my head, my roots are pretty even... I think a two-fold difference will be very obvious compared to this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8102&pictureid=105768 While right/left would be slightly more controlled, I think front/back will serve my purposes just fine. And what I'm applying is a thick paste. It doesn't run back to the scalp where I don't put it. There might be a blended border but the regions are distinct. Good critiques tho... obviously not a clinical trial (we only wish, right?)

Dark Queen
June 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Been using since the end of April, and I haven't noticed a huge difference, so I'm switching my routine as of June. I'll be watching this thread :)

vanillabones
June 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'll watch this thread because it'd be nice to know. I don't want to dye a strand though I'm having a hard enough time growing out my bleach damage! :) I do second that for me, too, the lower part of my head grows hair much faster than the top... my roots show extreme proof of that... almost all of my underlayer is virgin and the canopy isn't even halfway there :)

Also, I am a migraine sufferer, and monistat has never given me headaches/migraines.

Mesmerise
June 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
This is an interesting idea and I'd like to try! I would have to start after I next henna my hair though, so I get a nice dye line (ewwww dye regrowth for THREE MONTHS lol).

While I think comparing left side vs right side would be more accurate... I think doing it your way will give my hair a better result if it works lol... in other words, I won't have half the hair on my head looking obviously longer than the other half! It will just grow a bit slower underneath... and then if it works, well I'll just let the underneath catch up a bit!

I will have to use Daktarin as we don't have Monistat here, so I'll see if I can find a relatively inexpensive source for it.

pink.sara
June 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Hi, it will certainly be interesting to get some users and some pictorial evidence of MN.
I will be a participant in this :)
(Mainly as it will give me more reason to apply MN on a regular basis, I've been forgetting to lately!)

Here's my MN story:
I have been using MN since february 2009. I have growth that I track exactly month to month because I bleach one large streak of my nearly black/auburn hair White. It all grows so evenly you can actually see a perfect line with only 1-2mm variance on different hairs.
I know my growth rate varies month to month from 7mm to 14mm so I take the average and start with that.
I apply Daktarin 2% MN, twice maybe 3 times a week, 2-3 inches from tube diluted in about 40ml of water, I only ever apply straight after a wash when hair is dry, leaving it in until the next wash (1-2 days) I take a multivitamin but no other hair supplements.
I notice a difference only after I apply 4-5 times in a row then my growth will effectively double, eg my 7mm for the previous month will become 14-15.
Also I shed a normal amount and notice even when washing/brushing I only shed a few odd hairs while using MN.

There are a few pics in my album "MN" already that show my roots after MN, but it will be interesting to document more for others interested in taking part.
I will not however be letting my roots grow for 3 months without re-bleaching! :shudder: but will bleach once a month on the same date. Plus with my application method you can't have a "control" area of no application and neat it gives me headaches!
Hope I can be of some use!

pink.sara
June 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Oh and yes, as you can see from my pictures I do have a perfect left/right dye divide but don't go thinking I'm growing one side only! :run:

WaitingSoLong
June 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
And what I'm applying is a thick paste. It doesn't run back to the scalp where I don't put it.

It is how you get it out of your hair without it getting on the other part that I don't get.

I do second that for me, too, the lower part of my head grows hair much faster than the top... my roots show extreme proof of that... almost all of my underlayer is virgin and the canopy isn't even halfway there :)

Also, I am a migraine sufferer, and monistat has never given me headaches/migraines.

Ditto on all of this. My underlayer is very dark and inches longer than my canopy. I also have migraines and never got migraines from monistat.

While I think comparing left side vs right side would be more accurate... I think doing it your way will give my hair a better result if it works lol... in other words, I won't have half the hair on my head looking obviously longer than the other half!

Good point!

This has inspired me to try monistat again, however it is the cost that keeps me from it. The name brand stuff is pretty expensive and the generic has mineral oil in it and it was a horrible thing to my hair. I already follow a similar routine...I "bathe" my hair in coconut oil the night before a wash which I do twice a week (coconut oil only occasionally, though) so it would be no big routine change, just half it with the MN.

My scalp, however, has mysteriously cleared up after years of fighting a scalp condition that even Rx stuff would not clear up. I have no idea what changed and why it is all cleared up and I hate to mess with my routine and risk getting it back.

Littlewing13
July 1st, 2012, 02:45 AM
I'm interested. I was just about to suggest this experiment as most people say "I seem to get more growth" but without some kind of control how do they know? I might try in a few weeks just one side of head. Let me know results guys :)

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I used monistat on my entire scalp and didnt have any of the listed side effects when started or now. Let's see I've noticed my shed stopped I grow normal amount of hair. I don't know if it's a lot of growth but it's going well for me.

cooklaezo13
March 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm really thinking of getting henndigo and monistat, and giving this a try. I love science experiments and I love playing with my hair, so it seems like a natural combination!

Silverbrumby
March 29th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I used Monistat for 1 year then stopped. No massive shed and no real decrease in shedding while using it. There was no increase in growth. What has shifted my hair growth rate seems to be Organic Whey protein powder. When I drink that once a day I seem to have faster growth.

et--cetera
March 29th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I used Monistat for 1 year then stopped. No massive shed and no real decrease in shedding while using it. There was no increase in growth. What has shifted my hair growth rate seems to be Organic Whey protein powder. When I drink that once a day I seem to have faster growth.

What I am curious to know is if after one stops the Monistat if they shed a lot. Did that happen to you or anyone else who has tried this method?

Also, did it change your hair texture or anyone else's who has tried this?

bunzfan
March 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM
What I am curious to know is if after one stops the Monistat if they shed a lot. Did that happen to you or anyone else who has tried this method?

Also, did it change your hair texture or anyone else's who has tried this?

I used it for about a year, when i stopped the shed i got was quite scary it sort of put me off. Whey protein is way easier to take and a lot less bother i get roughly 1-2 inches a month if i drink 1 every day.

Auksaplauke
April 4th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Now I use miconozole cream and look like my hair grow fast 2cm in 10 days.I'm looking forward to the results after one month.