View Full Version : Recent shed... scared. :(

ladylovecraft
June 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Is anyone else having a massive shed recently? My hair always seems to shed a lot, but this recent kick up is really worrying me. I thought it might be because I was using castor oil scalp treatments, but I've stopped that weeks ago and it's still pretty bad... I can gently run my hands down my hair and pull out 20+ strands pretty often...

Advice or recommendations? My hair is finally starting to get long and this is scaring me. :(

Also, I've done nothing unnatural to my hair recently--no bleach or chemical dyes. Eee.

Kyla
June 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any advice right now, but I can empathize. Since it gets soaked in water five--six days a week now (I teach swimming and have to wash out the chlorine afterwards, it it causes major splits) I'm experiencing a lot of shed hair right now as well.

selderon
June 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Is anyone else having a massive shed recently?

Me! No idea why. It's like it was just time for the next class to graduate? :p If that's the case, it was a large graduating class! I hope they have lots of children on the way.

HoneyJubilee
June 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I was shedding a ton a couple of weeks ago but it seems to have slowed down now. I was pulling fistfuls of hair out of the shower drain and my brush/comb. I haven't measured to see if my ponytail circumference has shrunk, but I was starting to worry about it for a while. Just before my big shed I had a growth spurt...not sure if the two events are somehow connected.

ashke50
June 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I am shedding massively lately too. Usually I run my hands through my hair and pull out maybe one or two hairs, at the moment it is more like 10 at a time. Hoping it is seasonal or something - I haven't changed anything in my routine, or noticed any other differences.

embee
June 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM
My cat is shedding like *crazy*, so maybe it's the hot weather? Otherwise I have no clue.

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Me too, for me it's a seasonal shed that is only now just calming down. I would wait and see if it stops and if not, maybe check out some medical possibilities. x0

dragonchickx
June 30th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Im having some unusual shedding! Is it normal to have a summer shed?? I think it might have been form a load of stress... but im not sure!!!!! its so nerve racking becasue once the shedding starts you can't stop it you just have to let it do its thing :/

Heartwillfollow
June 30th, 2011, 11:39 PM
a little while back I went through the same situation so sending good thoughts your way.. :)

sparkle'n'bling
July 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
I was shedding a ton a couple of weeks ago but it seems to have slowed down now. I was pulling fistfuls of hair out of the shower drain and my brush/comb. I haven't measured to see if my ponytail circumference has shrunk, but I was starting to worry about it for a while. Just before my big shed I had a growth spurt...not sure if the two events are somehow connected.

I think my hair does a similar thing - has a growth spurt, then sheds.

I'm shedding at the moment. Last one I had was early this year I think, so I'm not too concerned. I'm making sure as always to eat enough protein and veges for vitamins and minerals, and am being extra-gentle when I brush it, and I think it's slowing down now.

kyandii
July 1st, 2011, 01:58 AM
My hair dresser always told me it was pefectly natural for humans to shed in spring/summer like dogs do.
If it doesn't settle down or you are really really concerened visit a doctor.

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 02:49 AM
I go through several periods of heavy shedding every year. I always seem to shed more during times of stress. Unfortunately that leads to more stress...vicious cycle. Increase consumption of water and whole foods including good source of lean protein like beans. Try to sleep at least 8 hours nightly and exercise to relieve stress.

Kdc0180
July 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
It could just be a seasonal thing. That happens to me every year. It's almost always winter and summer that I shed the most. It freaks me out but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going bald :)