PDA

View Full Version : Mixed thickness of hair

oktobergoud
June 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hello fellow hairy ones!

I'm not sure if there is a thread about this already (I didn't really know how to search for it, although I did try it :P)

Who else here have different types of hair? With that I mostly mean with is people with thin AND coarse hair (for instance). Or with 1C and 2B and uh 3A or whatever! Just to give you an idea ;)

Before I found LHC, I always thought I had coarse hair. Turns out I didn't! So I figured I had fine hair, very fine. But I also realized I have coarse hair at some places, like the back of my head! The sides are very fine and thin (yup, both D: you could see it really well when I shaved half my head) but the back is thick and coarse, or so it seems.
I found a hair today and it looked like a lot of my other shedded hairs. I could feel it and hear it when I rolled it between my fingers. When I rolled it through my fingers (as in, downwards, instead of literally rolling!) it even made squeaky noise! So I figure that's coarse hair?
Then I found another strand which was a lot thinner.

So yeah, you are wondering, where are you going with this thread? Honestly? I don't know! I'm just curious if a lot of people experience this and if so, how do you handle your hair? :) I'm always so annoyed with the sides because they're so thin while the back is so full! :(

Also, if there is an old thread about this, I'd love to know!

spidermom
June 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've got crazy, mixed-up hair. It's fine, medium, and coarse. It's 1B straight in areas, 3A curly in others. Sometimes it dries with lots of ringlets. Other times it looks no more than 2A wavy.

I never know what I'm going to get, hair-wise. And that's o.k.

P.S. - I've seen pretty much every color and texture known to man in my hair also, from pure white to palest platinum to black and kinky or black and straight.

2nd P.S. - My current sig pic is 3 days after washing, so all the natural texture has fallen straight, and there's nothing but bun waves.

kouran
June 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I've got crazy, mixed-up hair. It's fine, medium, and coarse.

My hair is like this too...

C.H.
June 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Yes. I've always known I had different degrees of curliness on different areas of my head, that seems pretty normal. But what surprised me was discovering that...well first of all, I always assumed I had coarse hair because of how big and frizzy and stubborn it can be, but while hair typing for LHC, I realized that I don't actually. I have some strands that are medium, and shocker, some that are actually fine. It hadn't occured to me that my strand thickness might vary as much as my curliness does.

I think I always thought my hair was thick because my mom always commented admiringly on how thick it was. Well I realize now that it is thick...but only compared to hers. She has quite thin hair.

BlazingHeart
June 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I've got fine hair around my face and on top of my canopy, coarse hair at my nape, and medium hair inbetween. It's weird because everyone else in my family is much more uniform in terms of texture than I am. Color too, for that matter - I have bright pale blonde, warm blonde, strawberry blonde, chestnut (majority of my hair), and deep red-brown auburn hair, where everyone else is much more confined to one color - mum and my sister are really red, dad is near-black (mum and dad both having sprinklings of white or silvery hairs). One cousin has streaky natural highlights like mine, but she doesn't vary on the brown-to-red scale - she's just slightly ashy blonde-to-brown. My colors match up to hair thickness - the blonde ones are fine, the chestnut ones are medium (with more reddish strands being coarser), and the deep red-brown auburn ones are coarse.

terpentyna
June 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have mixed up hair. I also have WAAY more hair on the left part of my head.

SHADOWSCODE46
June 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM
That would be me. I have a mixture of medium/fine & coarse hair. Where it is more coarse, my curl pattern is tighter (right in the top centre of my head) & where it is medium/fine my curl pattern is looser (everywhere else).

oktobergoud
June 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one :D
I'm not sure about my hair type, sometimes my hair is much wavier than other times. Might be the products! My hair hasn't been long for like 5 years so I have nooo idea if there are parts that are wavier, or how it exactly looks like when it's long..

When I shaved half of my head, you could see the hair at the sides being very thin and light (see-through!) while it got darker and thicker towards the back of my head! :x

Mesmerise
June 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
My hair is insane. The texture is mostly F/M...but the amount of wave varies widely (like Spidermom said... some areas are quite straight, and others make full on curls...wth is with that??) I call myself 2a... but I range anywhere from 1b/c to 2c or maybe even 3a (especially underneath). I just wish my hair was one thing or another instead of weird and random... and this is why I loved straightening so much, as it was the only way I could make my hair resemble something normal.

It's actually reassuring to come to LHC and realise that I am NOT ALONE. I seriously thought I was the ONLY person who had weird hair that was straighter in some parts and curly in others. I thought other people had straight hair, wavy hair or curly hair and not a mix! (Seriously...I thought there was something wrong with me :rolleyes:).

McFearless
June 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Yep, I have mixed thickness too. I try to find a balance of what will make my fine and coarse hairs happy, but in the end I'd rather drown my fine hairs in oil than let the coarse ones dry out.

pepperminttea
June 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Another, here. My hair's mostly F/M, but I also have a number of darker coarser hairs especially in the upper canopy, which judging by how my mother's hair aged, will eventually become silvers. I hated them at first, and plucked them out when I found them - a few months down the line, when they'd come back and were sticking straight up from my parting? Yeah, it didn't feel like such a good idea. :p Since then I've been getting myself used to them, and forcing myself not to repluck them as they grow out. But I'll definitely like them more when/if they turn silver - I just have to be patient. :)

As for texture; well, I've got the odd 2C strand in there, and yet some of the canopy's more like a 1B/1C. The vast majority of it goes after combing/brushing, so I just end up with frizz. :p Oh well, that's the hand I've been dealt.

HoneyJubilee
June 27th, 2011, 06:02 PM
For the most part my hair is very fine and quite blonde. Once in a while I'll find a coarse almost black hair, though. The first time I found one I thought it was a horse hair that had gotten stuck in my hair (we had some horses with dark mane/tail at the time), but then I discovered it was attached to my scalp. I plucked it right out!

Oh, and I was born with bright red peach-fuzz hair. It fell out and white-blonde hair grew in. Now it's darkened to more of a golden blonde.