PDA

View Full Version : A "Too Much Hair" Day

Kristin
June 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Ever have one of these? As my hair gets longer, I find that there are days I love the length and other days when I absolutely cannot stand it. I wake up and think, "What am I supposed to do with all of this stuff???". I just throw it up and forget about it until it's less overwhelming, but I never thought I'd feel that way when it was shorter.

homeeduk8tor
June 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Ever have one of these? As my hair gets longer, I find that there are days I love the length and other days when I absolutely cannot stand it. I wake up and think, "What am I supposed to do with all of this stuff???". I just throw it up and forget about it until it's less overwhelming, but I never thought I'd feel that way when it was shorter.

Kristin, I am right there with you, today! I have had the worst day trying to tame my hair. It really is developing into a love/hate relationship over here.:cheese:

Marz Hase
June 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I had that the other day!! :O I decided I was going to wear my hair down/not put back, 'cause I haven't done it in so long... It got everywhere and in everything. And I'm not even at waist yet! ><

Sweetie
June 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I wish I had thoughts like yours!!!! I always feel like there is too little of it!!

spidermom
June 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh my, yes! There are days that I'd gladly take the weed-whip to it.

dragonmyst
June 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yes. Today. Not so much because of the length, but my hair is thick and it is hot and I'm doing laundry and my favorite shirt which is cool in the summer is being washed and it is humid and my hair is thick and I feel like screaming and ripp[ing it out because my head is HOT!

-.-

so it is in a bun and I am keeping my hands busy so I don't give in to the temptation.

torrilin
June 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Any time my head gets trapped by my hair... I think it's too long. Also, if my bike helmet doesn't fit. So I've been focusing on having comfortable, dead easy hairstyles that let me cope.

I'm a lot better at twin braids than I used to be, and they're a pretty entrapment free hairstyle. However, I think they make me look like a 12 year old. So I've also figured out good ways to pin them up, so I feel less dorky.

Buns are pretty entrapment free, but I can't sleep if there's a bump on the back of my head. So I've learned to do styles that I can sleep in.

And yeah, I'd never had my hair past BSL due to the various forms of getting pissed off by the length.

Lianna
June 27th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I feel hot with hair down even when it's wet from the shower...*sigh*

maybe sparrow
June 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The summer heat is not helping.

sugar&nutmeg
June 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM
It's too short at the moment (APL) for me to feel that way. But yes, I've been there. Only, instead of putting it up and ignoring it, I cut it. :rolleyes:

An ignorable updo would have been better (yes, understatement is my gift).

Speckla
June 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have those days. I find I have to wrap, twist, flip and tuck more to get it up but looking at pix of it long and loose makes me want to keep putting it up (putting up enabled me to grow it longer).

C.H.
June 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I often feel this way when it comes to dealing with curls. When you add all that volume on top of the length--basically I can't handle it. I think that's probably one of the main reasons I don't like to wear it down when it's curly. It's just too much...feels like it's wearing me rather than me wearing it.

RitaCeleste
June 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I've spent the last two days messing with my hair to try and tame the poofy, frizzy thing it has become. The worst is the new hair pic. I had just colored it again and it was in in all its poofy glory in that pic. Everytime I look at that picture, I go oil my hair, condition the ends, wet them, brush it down and try to kill the frizz and get the ends to lay down instead of stick out from my back. My hair doesn't look smooth up unless I pull it way too tight so I gave up on updos. I have gathered more and more hair supplies and brought them to where I'm staying for the summer. My sister flat ironed my hair once and I thought I was going bald. Its all frizzy poof, I barely have a normal amount of hair.

elbow chic
June 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yes! Every summer I feel this way, and this summer it's extra intense because I didn't get my usual spring shearing.

Keeping it braided and off my neck and being determined not to give in are all that's keeping me out of the salon. lol.

jil
June 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I think I've been feeling this way on and off for more than a year! :) I just try to put it up and think about something else so I won't be tempted to cut it. I need to learn more buns that take less than 15 minutes so I have some more variety!

Zesty
June 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I felt a lot more that way a few months ago when I didn't know any updos. :p It got in my face, my food, sometimes my mouth, always the DBF's stubble, was getting caught on things... Now that I can put it up and out of the way I feel more like I can enjoy it when it is down, and less like it's a nuisance.

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Big 80s hair day for me over here. I think the humidity makes it voluminous.

UltraBella
June 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I was feeling that way non-stop and I just couldn't take it anymore. I haven't regretted my hair cut for a second :)

jasper
June 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
A too much hair day for me is the day when I have to fish one of my stray hairs out of my breakfast.

Laurenji
June 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I tend to feel this way when I get bored of my regular styles, i.e. a cinnabun or some sort of braid. I feel less like I have too much hair when I can do something interesting and/or different with it.

IanB
June 28th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Amazing how many people with long hair want it short, and short want it long, Curly want it straight and visa versa. It really is true that the other man's grass is always greener - except when you are the other man :D

MissAlida
June 28th, 2011, 02:30 AM
I can't wait to get to the point where my hair lenght will be too much:o. But I'm sure I will be frustrated now and then because of it.

kidari
June 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I wish I had those days! It hasn't been this long in years, I had chin length hair for almost 2 for a while and it kind of was an accident it reached shoulder length and I've been entertaining the idea of growing it long since. Lately I just wish that it would just grow and get fuller, I can't get enough! Ever since I learned how to cut my own hair, whenever I do feel blah that it's lifeless or something I'll just dust the layers and trim my bangs and I feel all better... but I don't touch the ends.

EdG
June 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I'm reminded of a famous quote (which I may have made up just now):

"One can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much hair." :lol:

Over the past two decades, I've grown used to having a lot of hair. Actually, I can't remember my hair being any other way. :shrug:
Ed

bettylibertine
June 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Definitely have those days. Especially if my hair's down and it gets windy :rolleyes:

CrisDee
June 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I have those days, or at least moments during the day, even with my hair this short - summer heat really bothers me. It's so nice to be able to just CO, oil from the ears down and put it up in a wet cinnabun to help me stay cool. :)

beccababesx
June 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM
My hair isnt even long yet and I get that! More because of the thickness but now when I'm dancing in a club it drives me INSANE, I always end up just throwing it up in a bun.

wvgemini
June 28th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Sometimes (I'm only brushing toward APL right now). But mine is usually when it's hot and muggy and my hair starts to grow outward. Poof!

neesalena
June 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM
sometimes I feel that way, especially as I slowly creep past shoulder length. I try to think of all the new styles I can do with all the extra hair, and sometimes that helps me feel less annoyed. I also dig out photos of me with shorter amounts of hair, where I had a triangle head shape going and that tends to bring out the thankfulness.

do you have any pictures where you hated your (shorter) hair? It might work for you too.

IanB
June 28th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I'd like one of those please :D

Eire
June 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
My hair was starting to annoy me every day but I think it was partly because it was so much more damaged from shoulder onward. Cutting it to shoulder solved that problem. Although I think next time I grow it out my new goal might be waist.... after waist the annoyingness got increased pretty significantly. We'll see if long, HEALTHY hair is less pesky.

celebriangel
June 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Not really...I have had almost waist hair before (it is BSL now) and I found it lovely, soothing and comforting like a warm blanket.

But then I lived in Scotland :) I'm in England now, but still no hot weather that a hat and short sleeves can't sort.

MikeGP
June 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I certainly know how you feel, especially being a dude. Went from having a military haircut to having my hair to my waist.

torrilin
June 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Amazing how many people with long hair want it short, and short want it long, Curly want it straight and visa versa. It really is true that the other man's grass is always greener - except when you are the other man :D

Actually, for me it's always been a matter of inches. If my hair got to a certain point, it'd get stuck between my chair and my back, or trap my head while I was driving. Take off an inch or two, and I'm free to move again, and I'm happy. So I've spent most of my adult life hovering somewhere in the APL to BSL range.

Short is MUCH worse. Hair in my eyes. Hair in my nose. Hair in my ears. Hair in my mouth. Tangles galore.

And well... now that I'm elbow length, I know that the entrapment phase at BSL lasts for maybe 3" of growth. That's keeping my hair bunned or braided for a whole 4-5 months. And I do that 90% of the time anyway...

BlazingHeart
June 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
For me, if it's a too much hair day, it's usually over volume. Tends to happen when I keep either breaking or not managing to secure hairthings.

*Blaze goes to barrette her hair. The barrette won't close. Blaze removes the adjustable thingie in the barrette to have more room. The barrette closes, but as soon as she lets go, it goes SPROING and goes flying. Blaze sighs and grabs the barrette and tries again, this time making super-certain that her hair isn't in the mechanism so it can close. She gets it to close...but when she turns her head slightly to eye the barrette in the mirror, it goes SPROING again and this time it flies off into the toilet. Blaze facepalms.* <- totally typical account of me trying to use large barrettes.

~Blaze

sycamoreboutiqu
June 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Blaze

LOL ... that was a priceless "hair moment" that us thick haired girls can relate to.

Break em, bend em pop them open. I haven't met a hair clip yet that can really hold ALL my hair. Still searching.

Laurenji
June 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I've never found a barrette that can hold all my hair at once. Never. I totally empathize with your SPROING! story...

Kricket
September 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I have those days all the time -- it sucks only because I can't just leave it alone when I'm having one of those days. It has to go up. T_T

But it is awesome when it goes up all nice and shiny. =D

WaitingSoLong
September 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I think I've been feeling this way on and off for more than a year! :) I just try to put it up and think about something else so I won't be tempted to cut it. I need to learn more buns that take less than 15 minutes so I have some more variety!

This. I have been spending a lot of time experimenting with different updos because I am over my hair and have been for some time. I think I have posted something to this effect several times.

I will reitterate what I have said, once I passed hip, it started to be a royal pain. I have doubted ever since that it will ever get much past Classic because I won't be able to stand it.

I am now looking into maybe lace braids or something with accessories other than sticks. I very much dislike the "bald" look I get with all my hair pulled back.

There are some days I swear I will cut it all off.

I put it is a fake bob yesterday and my daughter told me I look stupid with short hair (short being BSL in my fake bob). SIGH.

jaine
September 19th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I have "too much hair" days when my hair has been dried loose, and brushed. So puffy and frizzy and matte...so tangly...yuck. Those days are when I'm tempted to pull out my clippers and just buzz it. :(

If it was dried in a bun it's straighter and less annoying...reasonably soft and shiny and I can run my fingers through it without tangling it.
If it was dried with the curly girl method it looks better but I go crazy wanting to brush it.

Cirafly24
September 19th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I definitely have those days. It's getting harder to leave my hair down for a day without getting exasperated. I have increased thickness from scalp to shoulder length due to a ton of regrowth, and it's driving me nuts! It won't just lay nicely, it has to get all bunched up against my neck, and I hate anything touching my neck.

Those are the days when it gets tossed up in a bun on top of my head...leave me alone, hair monster!

Alex Lou
September 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I relate to those with thick hair saying it's the thickness that's the problem. Once I get past BSL I start to feel regularly like I just have too much hair. It's just everywhere. I just recently cut mine short after I started to feel this way, but there was damage that I wanted to get rid of too.

long&blonde
September 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Oh yes. When I realized its no longer me looking out for my hairs health that has me washing once a week; its just such a project. And somewhere along the way, I went from having fine hair, to only the no metal bits ponytailers for thick hair work for me. Remember taking prenatal vitamins to encourage growth prior to hitting waist they ran out, I was at waist & thought "should I get more prenatal vitamins? Naw;I'm good." The messes you never ever thought you'd have hair in the middle of;seems to be initiation to hair goal lengths,lol.At least for me. Bubble bath, no thought to wash hair, you realize your hair down, is is the bubbles & bath water.

Ashenputtel
September 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM
My drain gets clog every 2-3 weeks now. Besides that I can't wait for it to be blunt and waist lenght. That's propably gonna be in two years...

katsrevenge
September 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I had one yesterday. The hair was in everything, it kept getting in my mouth and then I did end up swallowing a strand.

I never though I'd eat my own hair.

WinterButterfly
September 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have had a too long hair day recently. I kept breaking my hair tyes trying to get it up. Then I gave up. But then it was too hot. Then I braided it and bunned it that way. I couldn't seem to get it up without it pulling. Tried to enlist the help of bobby pins. They fell out. Today my hair is much more managable. I don't know. Why it was so irritating the other day. But I'm on the journy to tailbone. I think I just hit bcl. In the front it haings about an inch and a half past my belly button. Thelast 2 to 3 inches have had more hard to deal with days.

Shesta
September 20th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Having these days seems to be the rule and not the exception, a? :D
With me it usually happens when I don't have a clear idea what style to wear that day. Or after using cones with my conditioner - then it turns so sleek, it just doesn't hold any hairstyle.

Chromis
September 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Too much hair? No, never! Not even once have I wanted to do a major cut since I have started growing my hair out. In fact none of the times I had cut my hair in the past were really because I wanted to either (it was cut for lice, for surgery prep, etc, not for a "new look"). I hated having my hair cut short each time, so I now cherish my length!

I find it gets easier and easier to manage over time, which I have mentioned before. I normally wear my hair up, but at this length, it is much better behaved should I choose to take it down. When I sit, I can neatly coil it in my lap or beside me and if I need to get it out of the way quickly, I drape it round my neck like a scarf.

katienoonan
September 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Buns are pretty entrapment free, but I can't sleep if there's a bump on the back of my head. So I've learned to do styles that I can sleep in.

Put a bun right on the top of your head! It looks silly but it is much more comfortable! xXXx :p

cindy58
September 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, that's why I trimmed 6" in January and 10" more in July. It was feeling in the way, too heavy and thick too often.

The bluntness after the July cut did make bunning a bit harder, but I haven't fretted overmuch of the lost length. It's still long, and I know it will grow back.