PDA

View Full Version : Long Bangs

TwilightBloom
June 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Ok, so my hair is bsl, and my bangs, well i really dont have any, the front of my hair is the longest part of my hair. My problem is, i hate having it all in a bun all the time. It is just blah. I know i don't want short bangs, but i would like to have something that hangs down and gives me a little something to look at besides my forehead. We have been watching The Secret life of the American Teenager, and they all have fairly long hair, and most of them have some kinda bangs cut that are not to short. If you watch the show, Betty is who's hair i think i like. It is long with bangs about chin length. Im scared though that i will hate them if i get them. I have been struggling with my hair, i still have damage, but i am trying to get to waist before i start really getting rid of the damage. I wear a bun most of the time, most all of the time. I have a frizzy mess if i let it dry naturally, uggghhh. I have been wanting to cut, but i know i don't want to, so i have to deal with the damage, but i would like to do something about the bangs. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help.. I do believe my hair is healthier than it has ever been, but the damage on the ends makes me not like my hair, and since im not doing any heat, i don't wear it down often at all.. I would love to do cute styles, but don't seem to be able to. I want to find a way to enjoy it while im waiting for it to grow out..

McFearless
June 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Watching that show I haven't noticed their hair. I'm too busy counting how many times they say s*x. Lol. I do like Ashley's hair. Anyway, I say go for it. Look up a photo online of the bangs you are looking for and take them to the salon. You could also cut them yourself. I used to do it all the time and it is easy. With 2c hair you will probably have to straighten your bangs, and that will cause damage. If you decide to keep them short you can stay on top of the damage easily, as you will have to trim them. If you don't like them you can grow them out. Currently I'm trying to grow out damage and I know how hard it is. Hang in there!

BlueMuse
June 26th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I just got long, chin length bangs cut in. I've found that if they start bugging me, if I style my hair wet, they'll stay back for most of the day. So if you really didn't like them, they're pretty easy to disguise. And I find I rather like them, so disguising them really isn't something that comes up very often.

luxepiggy
June 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Have you tried just parting out the front portions of your hair before putting the rest in an updo, just to see what it would look like? That way you can approximate the look, to a degree, before you actually start doing any cutting.

The other option is to leave some front pieces out without actually cutting them shorter. I actually do this with all of my updos. Admittedly, this look is unusual and requires a bit of attitude to pull off, but I think it works for me (^(oo)^)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/20100410OOTE.jpg

KittyLost
June 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Some straightening may be involved for long bangs or even if they're wet and you slick them back and pin the ends and that can get them fairly straight. That's what I did on my long bangs and my hair type is similiar. I had blunt bangs and grew them out to around chin and that was a great length for them. I could easily get rid of them by brushing them back and have them out too to soften an updo.

Try and find a picture of those bangs that you like, maybe get a screen capture of that girl from the show you are watching and take them to a salon and ask for them if you don't want to brave cutting it yourself. They'll be happy to deal with your request and cutting bangs is quite cheap! At least where I am plus they trim them for free too.

Also, Piggy that dress is gorgeous! You look amazing.

luxepiggy
June 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Some straightening may be involved for long bangs or even if they're wet and you slick them back and pin the ends and that can get them fairly straight. That's what I did on my long bangs and my hair type is similiar. I had blunt bangs and grew them out to around chin and that was a great length for them. I could easily get rid of them by brushing them back and have them out too to soften an updo.

Try and find a picture of those bangs that you like, maybe get a screen capture of that girl from the show you are watching and take them to a salon and ask for them if you don't want to brave cutting it yourself. They'll be happy to deal with your request and cutting bangs is quite cheap! At least where I am plus they trim them for free too.

Also, Piggy that dress is gorgeous! You look amazing.

Thank you! It's one of my favourites (^(oo)^)v

Aeltt
June 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
After seeing the picture, i don't think anyone can pull it off as well as luxepiggy does :p but i second the idea, i do let a few strands down when i bun : here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7981&pictureid=106440) (actually, it was a long fringe before, and i got used to having that bit hanging down because it was too short to be in the up-do).
ps : don't mind the pullover, the picture was taken in december.. ^^'

luxepiggy
June 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
After seeing the picture, i don't think anyone can pull it off as well as luxepiggy does :p but i second the idea, i do let a few strands down when i bun : here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7981&pictureid=106440) (actually, it was a long fringe before, and i got used to having that bit hanging down because it was too short to be in the up-do).
ps : don't mind the pullover, the picture was taken in december.. ^^'

You pull it off quite nicely, I'd say! My little front tendrils actually evolved to camouflage those shorter bits at the hairline that could never make it into my updos (^(oo)^)v

xoerincolleen
June 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I cut my own side bangs, they come down to about the middle of my chin. I'd look God-awful with my hair pulled straight back! As far as straightening, I used to, but now I use a medium sized velcro roller to roll them up, and take it out after like 10-15 minutes. It makes them lie smooth and to the side, which is what I want them to do. You could try something like that!
And, I like the small pieces in the front look too...it looks intentionally messy and carefree!

InTheCity
June 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM
If you're afraid to dislike your bangs (and have to spend forever growing them out again), maybe you should make sure the "bang" section itself is small. Meaning have only an inch thick chunk be cut. At least it won't get too much in the way if you decide you don't like it. But yes, I love all of their hair on that show! Their bangs are more face-framing layers. I loved the next post about the number of times they say the word... So true! No one really says the actual word over and over again like that, even when talking about it!

As for you, luxepiggy, work it, girl! Your hair, in addition to the rest of yourself, looks great!

TwilightBloom
June 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks everybody.. Luxepiggy, hair and dress are both beautiful, you def rock it.. So I didn't cut any bangs, i actually just started doing a really deep side part, and i really do like it. I can leave a few strands hanging down, and i really like that to, makes me feel like i have something there instead of just pulling it straight back, i don't like my forehead, lol, so i try to cover it, but when i work i have to have it out of the way, so i think this works. Thanks so much everybody.

free_hug
July 1st, 2011, 01:37 AM
I cut my own side bangs, they come down to about the middle of my chin. I'd look God-awful with my hair pulled straight back! As far as straightening, I used to, but now I use a medium sized velcro roller to roll them up, and take it out after like 10-15 minutes. It makes them lie smooth and to the side, which is what I want them to do. You could try something like that!
And, I like the small pieces in the front look too...it looks intentionally messy and carefree!

Plus one! I do exactly this. Only, my side bangs (well, random shorter pieces) are mostly neck length, but they get free from every updo, and it looks a lot better on me than all put up in a pony, braidbun, anything.
A strictly pulled back do may look great on people with a very pretty face, but many people will still have to add some extra to soften up the look :o

free_hug
July 1st, 2011, 01:39 AM
Also: Luxepiggy, I seriously wondered a few moments if it's really you, or you linked the image of some professional model from the internet for illustration. Wows ... plus what everyone else said about hair and dress.