PDA

View Full Version : Help me find GREAT unscented Condish!!!!

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hi, I'm new here. I read quite a bit, but I dont feel like I have much to contribute yet, other than what I do for my own hair, and that isnt too crazy.

Recently everything has been smelling, um, gross to me. I love the way garnier triple nutrition makes my hair feel (the conditioner, I havent tried the shampoo) I CWC and use it as the last C, with a little as leave in.

But for whatever reason It has been making me physically ill to smell it either in the bottle or in my hair. I usually use sauve strawberry as my first C and the shampoo as my W in the CWC but those are too strong smelling for me right now.

I am finding if I heavily dilute the volumizing white rain shampoo, (ya know, the one that sorta smells like tide) I do alright. But I really want a conditioner that feels like GTN without smelling like green apple baby vomit. Yuk.

I am not against cones, but The GTN is coneless and works the absolute best for me. I have tried scenting it with peppermint oil to mask the apple smell, but that really didnt work. Now its green apple mouthwash scent.

Help me!

CareBear
June 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hi there, sounds like you're developing a fragrance sensitivity? I don't know of any commercial condish that's fragrance free, but you can order condish from bath and body suppliers, such as wholesalesuppliesplus.com. I have bought their conditioner concentrate flakes and I really like it. It does need a preservative if you plan on making a bunch of it, but I usually make it a 'dose' at a time. You can make it as thick or thin as you like, but if you do go this route, let it cool before you decide its too runny and add more flakes. ask me how i know! :P If you want to make a bunch of it and preserve it, I believe the suggested preservative is germaben. Wholesalesupplies only sells it in a large amount, pricey, but you can get less of it at brambleberry.com. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you. As a side note, and I'm not trying to be intrusive or anything, but if you are on a new medication or possibly pregnant it could be contributing to your scent sensitivity. (say that 10 times fast!)

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
thank you for the reply, and recommendation. I wish there was a ready made product I could purchase... I went out and bought some cone free pantene knock off at the dollar store that has fragrance as the tenth ingredient. It smells mild, which was the only conditioner in the hair aisle I could say that about.

I would be really surprised if I were pregnant, it doesnt seem like pregnancy is really in the cards for me. If I were, great, but I know from bitter experience that hoping I am experiencing a pregnancy symtom is only a recipe for a big letdown.

Superfine
June 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I couldn't agree more about the GTN thick leave-in conditioner. It smells awful to me too. It does seem to go away on my hair, but I hate the smell while applying. Nice conditioner though.

ashamanjababu
June 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I am also sensitive to fragrances! Currently I am using Avalon Organic olive & grape seed conditioner. It's fragrance-free and leaves my hair very smooth and moisturized. I think organics would be your best bet to avoid fragrances.

http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=89&pid=622

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I will definitely check out avalon! I am glad I am not alone with my sensitive nose!

littlenvy
June 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am also sensitive to fragrances! Currently I am using Avalon Organic olive & grape seed conditioner. It's fragrance-free and leaves my hair very smooth and moisturized. I think organics would be your best bet to avoid fragrances.

http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=89&pid=622
^THIS!!! :)

Its one of the only ones that I can stand for longer than one wash.

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Is there any way I can get a jumbo size? I use a lot of conditioner!

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, I searching the older forum and see a product called cure care that is right in my price range...anyone here try it?

ashamanjababu
June 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Is there any way I can get a jumbo size? I use a lot of conditioner!

I wish! I don't think they sell any other than the puny size, sigh.

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I just called sally's, they have the cure care condish in a gallon size f`or six1`

starlamelissa
June 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
bleh kiddo got into the keyboard on that last post. the conditioner cure care is 6 dollars for a gallon at sallys.

papillion
June 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
There's a list of unscented conditioners here, if it's any use to you? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47921

starlamelissa
June 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
thank you so much for that list! A life saver!

MiamiPineapple
June 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I love Everyday Shea Condish the unscented one. The ingredients are great. I use it to CO wash.

Delila
June 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I use the Cure Care when I'm rinsing out my cassia obovata.

It's fine, not odorless, but not perfumed. Whatever odor is has doesn't seem to linger in my hair.

I'd say it's fairly light, as conditioners, go, pretty much the same as any you might use for conditioner-only washing, but then again, I only use it for this one rinsing-out-the-cassia purpose.

papillion
July 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
thank you so much for that list! A life saver!

You're welcome. It's so difficult to find the right shampoo/conditioner when you have to avoid fragrances!

feralnature
July 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
THANKS for the list!

I found out from my Dermatologist a few weeks back that I have an allergy to fragrances in beauty, bath, cleaning products. I developed hives on my skin where it touches and I did not recognize them as hives because the lesions were red, spread out flat and hard to see unless the light hit them just right. I thought it was Tinea Versicolor but it was hives.

I have bought Naturelle Hypo Allergenic Shampoo and Condishioner from Sally's. The lady there said that was all they had. I had already looked at Walmart and could not find anything but I was in a hurry so don't know.

So thanks for the list, it will surely help!

Athena's Owl
July 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
If you're canadian you could get Curelle shampoos and conditioners. very simple ingredients, fragrance free, gluten free.

dmarie16
July 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
This may not be helpful, but yes to cucumbers is not perfumey at all. It smells like fresh raw cucumbers. No fruity floral fragrance at all. And it is wonderful!!!!! :D I like to use it as CO wash. Hair is clean, less frizzy but still light and bouncy without adding much scent at all. I get woozy from many florals and some fruity and woodsy fragrances too.

EtherealOde
July 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Are you near a Whole Foods store? They sell their own brand of conditioner, 365 brand...32 ounce bottles for $4.99 which is a really good price. It comes in both scented and unscented, and so their shampoos. I use the unscented for CO washing, and some extra mixed with water and sprayed on to dampen hair in between washes. No sulfates, no animal testings. I can recommend it highly.

starlamelissa
July 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
feral, I am using baby aquaphor shampoo 2 in 1 (shampoo plus body wash) as shampoo, after reading multiple reviews as to it's scent free-ness and cleaning abilities.

For body soap I am using neutrogena unscented glycerine bars (you can find these in the face soap area) for my face and body

For shaving cream, lotion, and light leave in condishioner I am using cure care (cheap at sally's beauty, totally scent less)

and for a heavy conditioner I am using naturelle hypo allergenic conditioner.

to detangle/fight frizz, I have a small bottle I mixed olive oil and coconut oil in. I keep it in the shower.

detergent for clothes- all small and mighty, fragrance free
bounce dryer sheets, fragrance free

sure deoderant, unscented.

Whew, that was alot to type, but I feel so good using the above products. No headaches, or topical rashes. Yay!

BlazingHeart
July 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
A friend of mine with multiple chemical sensitivities has recommended Unicare, Jason's unscented line, and Magick Botanicals.

~Blaze

veronicaM
January 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hi, I checked out the date so I am imagining your baby is older now and hey, you might already be on your second pregnancy but I actually have a shampoo and a conditioner without scent. When I was pregnant I hated everything that smelled like anything! This conditioner has only basic ingredients, raw and it will not actually hurt your body and scalp.

planetqueenie
January 25th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I just can't stand perfumes and 'fragrances', I either like uncented or lightly essential oil scented! A great unscented(which means no fragrances or essential oils added) conditioner would be the chi conditioner from morrocco method. It is totally natural and pure, scalp and hair nourishing.

Long_hair_bear
January 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62714822/unscented-natural-hair-conditioner?ga_search_query=Unscented&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5170092

veronicaM
February 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Can you take the "dirt" smell? That's how I feel my shampoo smells like. it's vegan and organic