PDA

View Full Version : Best Vitamins for Hair Growth?

kc
June 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Well, the lady who cut my hair took way more off than what I wanted! I hate that! After all, I had only asked for about two inches and she must have taken off at least eight! :( Anyway, I am looking for suggestions as to the best hair vitamins to take for growth. I see a lot out there on the market, but don't want to waste my money on anything that isn't going to work. Does anyone also have any other suggestions to jump-start my hair growth a bit. I'm just sad right now!

jaquelines
June 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
usually when you take viatmins for hair, it is always something that affects your nails too. i saw definitely great results with biotin and hairtopia. the fast growing was quite obviously in the nail growth. but it takes at least 3 months until you can see any difference.

ange1ito
June 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM
From following LHC I noticed alot of people take Biotin or a Hair and nail supplement.
Also some people are using specific shampoo's like Mane N' Tail or creams like Daktarin/Miconazole to promote growth.
I have been using some Hair and nail supplements and also Castor oil but this was due to my 7 year shed combined with other stresses. I only noticed a major increase in new hairs since I started deep oiling with Castor oil and also the shedding cut right back.
Good luck with your choice. Happy growing.

jojo
June 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Eating a balanced diet, getting enough fliuds and 8 hours sleep a night, oh and plenty of patience is all that is required.

goldenbrunette
June 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM
does anyone take vitamin D and have found any effects?
I've just started taking D3 for overalll health and am curious to know!

ChloeDharma
June 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM
does anyone take vitamin D and have found any effects?
I've just started taking D3 for overalll health and am curious to know!

I take D3 as a blood test showed i'm severely deficient in it. I can't say what, if any, effect it has had on growth as it takes a while before you notice a difference. I do notice i shed alot less than i used to but that is since starting to eat meat and getting alot more protein in my diet.

To the OP, i'm affraid that if you are looking for a magic grow hair fast pill you might as well search for the holy grail. Some things improve growth and supplements tend to help where there is a lack of something in the diet. However no vitamin will grow your hair back beyond what your natural growth rate allows. Harsh, but true :-(

I'd also look into claiming compensation from the salon as asking for a 2 inch cut and having 8 inches removed is just taking the p***!

whitestiletto
June 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Well, the lady who cut my hair took way more off than what I wanted! I hate that! After all, I had only asked for about two inches and she must have taken off at least eight! :( Anyway, I am looking for suggestions as to the best hair vitamins to take for growth. I see a lot out there on the market, but don't want to waste my money on anything that isn't going to work. Does anyone also have any other suggestions to jump-start my hair growth a bit. I'm just sad right now!

Me too! *sobs* I want my 8 inches back. I'm going to start using Monistat. I'll report after a month or two if it works.

On Page 321 of the Monistat thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156) pink.sara reports "I use Daktarin as we can't get MN in Monistat here in the UK. It is a 2% Miconazole Nitrate based athletes foot cream and most definitely works for me. I dilute about 2 inches in about an inch of water in an old dye bottle and apply after a wash then leave on until my next wash. Been using it off and on since 2009 with no bad side effects. It takes my growth rate from 7mm to about 20+mm per month after a few weeks of continued use."

whitestiletto
June 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'd also look into claiming compensation from the salon as asking for a 2 inch cut and having 8 inches removed is just taking the p***!

GOOD LUCK.

I sued the salon that chopped my BSL hair asymmetrically into a chin-length mullet in small-claims court for the cost of hair extensions, due to the fact that I do model and lost clients because of the cut. Unfortunately I lost. I think it was a sexist/patriarchal decision... They did exactly what I asked them not to, and my income was affected negatively because of it, and the male judge laughed at me. Angry but powerless girl. :demon:

One good thing from the experience I found LHC and will be able to re-grow in great condition but it will take over a year to regain what that **** cut off.

free_hug
June 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM
GOOD LUCK.
I sued the salon that chopped my BSL hair asymmetrically into a chin-length mullet in small-claims court for the cost of hair extensions, due to the fact that I do model and lost clients because of the cut. Unfortunately I lost. I think it was a sexist/patriarchal decision... They did exactly what I asked them not to, and my income was affected negatively because of it, and the male judge laughed at me. Angry but powerless girl. :demon:

Unrelated mini-rant: now this is just ridiculous. At the point of "income gets affetced", it's pretty serious business. :angry:

Eating a balanced diet, getting enough fliuds and 8 hours sleep a night, oh and plenty of patience is all that is required.

This! Oh, and as many excersise as you manage to fit into your week.

And again - you might get to your optimal growth rate, but nowhere magically fast...
There were many threads on this, actually, but people most often recommended (as much as I remember)
- biotin, silica, vitamins of the great B complex strictly to promote growth
- vitamin C and E - for some supplementary reasons
- iron, zinc

So nothing that a healthy diet, or maybe a box of specifically hair vitamins, couldn't give you :)

RitaPG
June 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
There's an article that covers the supplements question
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74
Hope that helps :)

curlymarcia
June 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I've be taking Biotin for a around a year. I don't see any big increase in the growing, but the quality of the hair is much better (is more shine and soft). I also believe I shred less, but not sure.

Sunny_side_up
June 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I second this ;) i take a cheap superstore brand of multi vit with iron when i remember (every few days to once a week) or if i feel like i need iron.
Though recently have felt more energized from natural food sources of iron combined with foods with Vit C
Feel so much better and plan to keep up good eating habits. Nuts are wonderful, strength improvements in my hair are soo good! if you can eat them that is!
When i was having a good few regular early nights last winter i had fab growth than any previous winters. So rest and relaxation are key if you can manage it. Can be easier said than done! :)
oh and exercise! I do not go to the gym. Instead more walking in my journey to and from work, and i have notice really good nail gowth every time i have done a week with more walking, and am sure the hair is boosted too :D

Mesmerise
June 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
GOOD LUCK.

One good thing from the experience I found LHC and will be able to re-grow in great condition but it will take over a year to regain what that **** cut off.

Wow...that is just BS. A service provider should provide the service you ask for, and if they can't do that, then they should be liable to pay compensation ESPECIALLY if your income/earnings are negatively affected by it!

It's completely unacceptable that they were allowed to get away with it, and you were basically just laughed out of court.

And it's not like you were asking for millions in compensation! Just the cost of extensions (which I think is more than fair).

*shudder* This is why I am now avoiding salons like the plague. I KNOW they're not all bad. I KNOW there are great hairdressers. BUT I don't want to run into the wrong one and lose months of growth (or more!).

IanB
June 27th, 2011, 01:51 AM
For me, I think the important ones are: Biotin, MSM, Saw Palmetto and Fish Oil.

Earth Angel
June 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Hi, I've been taking Bacopa Monneri (aka Brahmi) herbal supplements for a month and even only after 2 weeks or so, I saw an amazing growth in the length of my nails (they have always had a tendancy to break and split) and were stronger too. I started taking this when I started a new job as I found out it was great for mental alertnness and increasing the learning process (as I'd been out of work for some time).

I have since found out that its also good nourishment for the scalp and hair growth and helps reduce hair loss
and considering its made a big difference to my nails already I'm sure my hair will follow although it may take longer to notice the difference, however I have noticed my hair looking a bit thicker and better condition, maybe worth checking out ;)

Gulbahar
June 27th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I do eat a balanced diet but still I see a lot of growth when taking zinc. Also I shed horribly if I don't take a lot of B-vitamins - now that I started to take hormonal BC I need even more. Before I took about 400% of the recommended intake, now I have to take twice as much to prevent shedding.
So eating a good diet alone CAN give you all you need but not necessarily so.

Falear
June 29th, 2018, 07:28 AM
I apologize for the bump of an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting things from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future
Unfortunately there are lots of pills and supplements out there which could be taken to help stop hair falling out/promote hair growth but if you don't want to take them then there's not much that can be done, so ask yourself which is more important, skipping on supplements or hair thinning?

A multi vitamin covers basic needs and any thing that is generally lacking in your diet.

Vitamin D is really important too- there are 50% RDA vitamin D/Calcium supplements available, usually the vitamin D is conjoined with other things to help. Cod liver oil also contains 100% RDA of vitamin D (essential to stop hair thinning on top of being good for your liver) so might be beneficial to take all three.

Calcium interacts with vitamin D for growing hair therefore clearly important as it prevents hair from thinning.

Zinc again important because it aids DNA/RNA production cycle. Can get zinc in good doses in Sea kelp (just one a day, seeing as it should be partially covered by your multi vitamin anyway) also sea kelp contains Iodine which helps maintain a healthy thyroid (if your thyroid is undernourished it can lead to hair loss, people with PCOS are more likely to experience thyroid problems)

Selenium is found in a range of foods including fish, meat and nuts. Deficiency can lead to hair thinning.

Saw palmetto stops the conversion of testosterone to DHT which causes excess hair loss.

Vitex/chasteberry is one of the top rated supplements to treat PCOS because it balances hormones and may act as an anti-androgenic regulating imbalances, therefore lowering androgens which contribute/account for hair loss.

Licorice is also believed to inhibit testosterone and stop hair loss.

Nothing topical you apply is really going to work unless you treat the underlying cause, either decreasing the amount of testosterone you have, blocking its conversion and activity or balancing your hormones.
I could go on and on and on about which other supplements can lower your testosterone or get blood sugar levels under control but if you don't want to take supplements i guess healthy eating, exercise, good diet and maybe a BCP will reverse your hair loss.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar theme when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!

Dark40
June 29th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Eating a well-balanced diet, and getting plenty of fluids, and excercise. I take Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins by, "Nature's Bounty." They are really excellent for hair growth! I've also noticed excellent overall health of my hair. My hair is a lot shinier then it was without the vitamins, and plus I have less hair shedding. The Nature's Bounty vitamins have a lot of biotin and iron in it!

sophia_
June 29th, 2018, 06:01 PM
All I take is a daily multivitamin, I notice growth when I use the inversion method with rosemary and castor, but I don't do it too often because I heard it could cause shedding (though I've never experienced any myself). I've also recently been finishing my daily hair washes with a nettle rinse, and I've noticed a bit of growth since I started that. I discovered scalp buildup had been stalling my hair growth for a while (as well as wreaking havoc on my oily scalp!), so I've transitioned to daily washes with a gentle silicone-free shampoo.

Lizabeth94
June 29th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry this happened, I'm terrified to go to the hair salon for that reason, I wont have my hair trimmed again until its long enough for me to cut it myself!
I get great results with biotin and drinking protein shakes/eating a high protein diet (I aim for 100g protein a day). Hair is waste product made mostly of proteins, so if you eat alot of excess protein, it might grow faster than normal. I can double my hair growth from half and inch a month to 1 inch a month this way! However, everyone's results can vary when trying supplements or diet changes. Your hair growth can also vary depending on the time of year, I grow more in the summer and less in the winter for example.