PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff?

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Now I do have bad dandruff, and I have found a routine that has helped it still hasn't completely alimented the pesky thing. Any advice?

The shampoos/shampoo bars I use vary from month to month. If I want a new smell, new kind, or whatever. But its always natural. I found natural shampoo helps a ton because I have VERY VERY sensitive skin. I don't blow dry, curl, or straighten my hair. Every two weeks I sleep in an Olive Oil Conditioner, and I trim my hair two to three times a year. I also occasionally do oil treatments.

Help me? :ponder:

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Anyone?:confused:

kouran
June 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Have you ever tried tea tree oil on your scalp? I have heard people saying that it works, but I have never tried it myself...

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Yes I have! and while it works some its not for sensitive skin, and doesn't smell very pleasant.

Thanks though :)

skraprchik
June 26th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Now I do have bad dandruff, and I have found a routine that has helped it still hasn't completely alimented the pesky thing. Any advice?

The shampoos/shampoo bars I use vary from month to month. If I want a new smell, new kind, or whatever. But its always natural. I found natural shampoo helps a ton because I have VERY VERY sensitive skin. I don't blow dry, curl, or straighten my hair. Every two weeks I sleep in an Olive Oil Conditioner, and I trim my hair two to three times a year. I also occasionally do oil treatments.

Help me? :ponder:
My dad has pretty bad dandruff too. I got him Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner from Trader Joe's and it's been making a ton of difference. You can also get the tea tree essential oil from a natural foods store like Whole Foods and add it to a carrier oil like jojoba or castor or olive (I find olive kinda heavy though). I little dab to the scalp may help. I'm not sure about adding the tea tree to your shampoo, but that may also work.

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Tea tree oil doesn't like my skin. I have tried the shampoo and the oil. :/

kouran
June 26th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Why don't you mix it with lavender oil? I found that lavender decreased my dandruff. I also use the neem and tea tree CV shampoo bar that also works for dandruff, together with ACV rinses. You could also search for other threads about dandruff...It is said that cassia also works against it.

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Lavender? Hmm I might just try that!

Copasetic
June 26th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Are you certain you have dandruff, and not something else? A dry scalp can appear like dandruff.

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Its dandruff. After about a year I went to the doctor and he gave me some stuff for it. It cleared it up for about a month, but then it came back. :/

whitestiletto
June 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Cassia can eliminate dandruff. You can try putting it on without dye-release, and letting sit for only an hour, to avoid the temporary yellow color.

I had incredibly bad dandruff and cassia/henna together kicked it after 1 application.

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Interesting. I'll look it up!

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Anyone else?

CaityBear
June 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Be consistent in washing your hair. I find that if I go too long without washing my hair the flaking and itchiness gets worse.

ACV. Spritz onto scalp (mix with water so it's not as strong) and massage in, let sit for half an hour or so and wash. Do this before you wash your hair every time for a while and it should decrease then to keep it away, do it every now and then. My whole family has/had horrible dandruff and my younger brother especially bad and we used to do this before every shower and it helped a lot!! I find doing it every now and then helps for the itchies...

I have heard once before someone said mouthwash helps... I've used it for the itchiness and it does help but haven't used consistently enough to know if it helps the dandruff go away.

Would it work to do an oiling with tea tree oil? Then it's heavily diluted and might not affect your sensitive scalp as much...then massage a lot and try to loosen up all the flakes before you shower...that helps to get rid of it if you do it often enough.

Hmm...not sure what else. I've tried many things and my dandruff is definately not as bad as it used to be but sometimes I get a majorly flaky, itchy scalp and doing some of the mentioned above has helped.

I've found the main thing is if you try something you have to be consistent. Doing it once won't get rid of it forever so if you pick one thing to try for a few weeks, then switch, and repeat and then see how that works.

I'll post back if I think of anything else. :)

nazzooyzo
June 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
acv rinses have helped my dandruff

boomtownrat
June 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I have to second the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle to anybody whose scalp doesn't mind tea tree oil. It doesn't smell like TTO, at least to me, probably because of the peppermint oil that's also high up on the list of ingredients. My flaky scalp problems are almost gone since I started using the conditioner. Next time I go to TJ's I'm getting the shampoo as well.

Other than that, I use a diluted white vinegar rinse most days. Usually I rinse it out, but when I've left that as my final rinse it seems not to have been detrimental to my hair. If you don't want to get little whiffs of vinegar, though, it's probably a good idea to rinse that out.

I wash my hair daily, which I know a lot of people here don't like to do, but if I don't my scalp is aflame with constant itching.

ETA: Scalp massage with coconut oil has helped a bit in the past, but it wasn't enough for me. It might be enough for others, though, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone I'll experiment a little bit and tell you how it goes!

terpentyna
June 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I'm going to say Nizoral (ketoconazole shampoo).

Chiara
June 27th, 2011, 02:53 AM
My scalp hates tea tree oil too, it's just too strong. But I've found one teaspoon of rosemary essential oil to 20ml of ordinary oil (I paint it onto my scalp using a pastry brush to brush the oil down as I part the hair- kind of like applying hair dye except that you WANT this stuff to go onto your scalp!). This does not cause me any nasty reactions and deals pretty well with the dandruff for a while, plus it smells quite nice.

However the best herbal remedy I've found (in fact, best remedy of anything I've used, 'herbal' or conventional) is cassia obovata- there's a whole thread on this is herbal haircare.

AshleyTheRed
July 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I found a really good shampoo bar. That + acv took care of the problem. Thanks everyone!

LaceyNg
July 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
curious-- which shampoo bar?

AshleyTheRed
July 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Rosemary Mint

Dina L.
July 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM
ACV rinse helped me in less than 2 weeks! Some months ago I started to oil my scalp before washing hair (not always, but i try to). I use evoo and castor oil mix, these also help my scalp not to become dry.

Kelikea
July 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
I have a terribly itchy, flaky scalp. I've tried so many different remedies. Dandruff shampoo, aspirin, tea tree oil, hot oil massage, BS and ACV, organic shampoo and conditioner, Co wash, listerine, nothing solves the problem. I don't knowif it is caused by dry skin, oily skin, yeast, or bacteria. AAaahh! Any suggestions?

longcurlygirl<3
July 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Try an Apple Cider Vinager rinse? Here is a lady who was cured by 95%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSNxoRBmu8

Kelikea
July 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I use ACV rinse a lot. It helps soothe the itch and then I don't usually need conditioner. But the flakes and itch return...

longcurlygirl<3
July 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Maybe cut back on drying shampoo? I had it too and it turned out to be a conditioner I bought and with a week of stopping the condish my scalp problems were gone.

Darkhorse1
July 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Use Nizoral. It works---just be careful if you color your hair, but it worked for me after a week of usage. Now, the smell probably kills the fungus---ugh!

Just a side note, a pharmacist told me that itching when using dandruff shampoo is NORMAL--the reason being is that is the medication in the shampoo killing the fungus. It grows UNDER the scalp, so that is also why you MUST let it sit on your scalp to soak through.

After using nizoral, I went to Head and Shoulders and am using restoring shine--I was using the oily scalp stuff and my scalp itched like crazy--changed to a gentler formula and voila! Maybe try H&S for dry scalp and see if it works? Best to you!

Kelikea
July 24th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Would BS make it better or worse because of the pH? Dandruff does not like an acidic environment, but BS is basic.