PDA

View Full Version : How to rehabilitate after professional updo?

Bucatini
June 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Help Please!!

I had my hair done professionally on Saturday morning for a wedding. It's the woman who normally does my trims, she knows all the rules. I went there with air-dried hair and she used low heat settings and did not tease it. It looked great. Then she applied a lot of something called "Superego Molding gum" and pinned part of it up.

Well.... last night, I took it down and tried to comb/brush it out before going to sleep. I was in tears. Though I was gentle, I lost a wad of hair twice the size of what I normally pick up with the swiffer after a whole week. There were mats like what a dog gets on its ears and my scalp hurts. It's so stiff and dry and frizzing and awful.

So I slept with it in a bun and have not taken it down or touched it since. I am afraid.

I want to wash it before I go to bed tonight, but what should I do? Should I be gentle and do CO or SMT (or SMT as CO?) or just use heavy clarifying shampoo and deal with being dry and frizzy for the week and get it over with? I'm not sure and I'm soooo upset!! :cry:

Also other than SMT and heavy oiling does anybody have any rehabilitation ideas?

manderly
June 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Oh no! Well, from my experience, brushing was your mistake!!!

Jump in the shower, soak your hair, and unload a ton of conditioner on your hair. Do some heavy duty COing, that should dissolve all the gunk, then you can gently detangle while your hair is all goopy with condish.

You'll be fine, just NEVER EVER brush out a salon style dry again.

tuuli
June 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I would tend to clarify and follow with SMT for several hours or overnight. You could add a small bit of sheabutter in your SMT. Hth. :flower:

SHELIAANN1969
June 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Oh my, that is not a good product for your hair from the description!

I would take a bath, or a warm/hot shower to loosen and make the "putty" softer.

I would try to use some conditioner as soon as it's soft to loosen it a little better and leave it on for a couple/ few hours.

Then rinse in warm water, if it isn't softening/ coming out, I would do the process again untill you see results.

That's the only thing I can personally think of, I hope you get some relief. Please keep us updated.

ETA: I was doing something else while I was responding, and I see Manderly had the same advice! I wasn't copying, it just seems that "great minds think alike" ;)

Alethia
June 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Gentle shampoo, then condition loads. Gently detangle while soaked in conditioner with a wide toothed comb, starting at the ends and gradually working upwards. In my younger days when I went in for more elaborate updos requiring lots of hairspray and stuff, this is how I detangled after the night was over and I did not lose lots of hair. Good luck!

Gladtobemom
June 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'd mermaid soak with about half a bottle of shampoo in the tub as a "bubble bath and pour in conditioner too.

Just leat it soak out. Let the water out and wash as normal.

I'd use VO5 Kiwi & Lime Squeeze for the first step. Probaby half a bottle of the condish and half a bottle of the shampoo too. (P.S. this will get you nice and clean too)

The tub will be slick, so make sure you throw in a hand towel to stand on when you stand up.

Cinnamon Hair
June 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Eww. The first rule of using hairspray or gel. Don't attempt to comb afterward! Anytime I've had my hair styled I waited until showering to comb. A shampoo is probably going to be necessary; just do the scalp and let it run down the length when you rinse. Then condition with something coney and everything should be fine.

Riot Crrl
June 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Superego Molding Gum ingredients:

Water, Petrolatum, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladiplate-2, VP/VA Copolymer Mineral Oil/Paraffin Liquidium/Huile Minerale, Copernica Cerifera Wax/Cera Carnauba/Cire De Carnauba, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40, Castor Oil, Ceteareth-25, Propylene Glycol, Polysilicone-9, Sorbitol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance

I think it's gonna take some shampoo to get that out. Just deep condition afterwards.

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Oh my gosh, the mermaid soak sounds like a wonderful idea! I hate you had to go through that. Next time come here FIRST! :eek:

Gladtobemom
June 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
The mermaid soak with a bottle of VO5 and half a bottle of condish . . . even worked on some sort of molding mud stuff that DD(15 at the time) put in her head at a friend's house. They were copying something from a magazine with the mom's (cosmetologist) help.

It loosened everything up enough that her hair came loose and floated. Then we did a CO with her usual conditioner (Milk and honey back then)

(I had forgotten this incident, this happened after I first Joined LHC and it was the recommendation someone gave me there--I think it was maybe Curlsgirl, but honestly I don't exactly remember, was it you?)

She says I used a whole bottle of VO5 SKR shampoo and half a bottle of VO5 Conditioner.

DD remembers very clearly because she couldn't even stick a comb in her hair and was scared her hair was just going to come loose like a Japanese wig. When she put water on it, it just beaded up.

Bucatini
June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Superego Molding Gum ingredients:
Water, Petrolatum, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladiplate-2, VP/VA Copolymer Mineral Oil/Paraffin Liquidium/Huile Minerale, Copernica Cerifera Wax/Cera Carnauba/Cire De Carnauba, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40, Castor Oil, Ceteareth-25, Propylene Glycol, Polysilicone-9, Sorbitol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance

I think it's gonna take some shampoo to get that out. Just deep condition afterwards.

Oh my stars that ingredients list is DISGUSTING! Thank you for finding this, Riot Crrl. I was searching and searching and didn't see anything.

After reading this post, I marched straight to the shower and had a big old-fashioned foamy high-lather SLS shampoo experience, just like on TV, complete with squeak and tangles. Followed by condish and lots of leave-in. Then this morning I took my bun down, saturated w/ leave-in again and rolled it back up.

My hair feels like crap. I wonder if it still isn't clean?

Islandgrrl
June 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
My hair feels like crap. I wonder if it still isn't clean?

Could be that it's not. It may take another shampoo or two to get all that carp out of your hair. If it were me, I'd CO like mad for the next few days and SMT a time or two. Damp oil & bun and be very, very gentle.

I'm sorry this is so awful for you.

MemSahib
June 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
You know, it's too late now but IF anyone has to go through this again, maybe the hairdresser who put the stuff into your hair can give you the correct product to take it back out again. If you trust her... :suspect:

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Man this is timely for me. i will be a bridesmaid in July and we are all getting our hair done. All I have been able to think is "aaargh, $85.00 to have someone else destroy my hair."

Of course I could be very vicious with her, my hair is very slicky on its own but more so when I oil it the night before.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Oh, in professional updo things like this, one is usually after a very smooth look that will last all day for photographs and not showing flyaways such as we all experience on regular updo, do it ourself, days. Hence the application of things that smooth and sleek and shine and HOLD. Like a Helmut! (Dianne Feinstein wasn't referred to as Helmut Head for no reason! Awww c'mon. It's ok to say. Fashion Week beat me to it decades ago!)

Sleeping on this fiasco may not help your cause.

OK, so take the hair down and try to ORGANIZE the hair a bit, but not overly detangle. Just try to align it vertically. Don't pull. Don't twist. Avoid crying and freaking out and panicking. I've been there Sweetie Pie, it's hard to avoid, but the key to overcoming this Super Goo is Patience. Yep, capital P.

Time to clarify.

AND CONDITION.

You are going to be stuck washing hair that isn't completely detangled, which means, out the other end, you're going to have to go slow on that detangling stuff.

I recommend bringing a vat of conditioner in the shower with you and a very wide tooth plastic comb. Go to the "ethnic" section of Walgreens or something or the beauty supply store, Sally's, and find a comb pick, even, such as what a Black Man or Woman would use.

I assume you know how to clarify. You need to remove the gunk off the surface of the hair strands, lying on top of the cuticle, and this is precisely what CLARIFY means. ACV Rinse is not a clarify hair wash in this instance, and if you go this route, life will be worse. Use the home recipe of Baking Soda and Shampoo of your choice. 3 Tablespoons each, blended well. Get in shower, do your first application on very, very, very wet hair (make sure it's all wet as best you can get it and use fairly warm water....not too tepid or you'll have a harder time breaking the bonds and getting good emulsification of product) with JUST SHAMPOO to break that surface tension of the bond so far.

Next application is with the baking soda/shampoo blend which should be creamy and no lumps. It might have a slight color to it depending on ingredients in your shampoo (that make it a color, if your shampoo has a hue to it).

So do at least 2 applications of clarify (either my home recipe or a shampoo that has on the label CLARIFY on it as a main feature of the shampoo).

THEN condition. Use pretty hot water for this. Warm the conditioner, keep the hair humid and warm and wet. Thickly apply the conditioner.

Then keep the conditioner on and dip the comb in the vat of conditioner (ETA: coat the comb with conditioner) and with the aide of the water stream, begin at the bottom and slowly detangle (not to be perfect but to organize). ETA: Pick into the hair with a kind of stabbing motion to loosen the clumps with that comb, don't pull down initially.

Work your way up.

This technique ensures conditioner to every strand. If a curly girl, this is a technique you might like a lot when all is well, too.

Rinse the conditioner out after leaving in for some time. (Do this hair wash when you have plenty of time and no one else needs to bathe after you cuz you're going to run the water heat out of hot water!)

Then out of the shower, and pat the hair dry. No piling, no rubbing, no putting up in a towel. Get it dry. You don't want to undo the detangling efforts made in the shower with the conditioner.

When a lot of the wetness is gone, you can begin to detangle. You're going to pick into the hair as previously described, that is, for lack of a better way of saying it, stab into the hair, and pull straight out. A slight pushing down (work from bottom up). Go slow, work in stages and phases as the hair air dries.

PATIENCE IS KEY IN THIS BATTLE. You will be back to your hair.

You will have some hair loss, and possibly a sore scalp for a day or so (and maybe a sore neck because you slept on it) because of the pins and hair being directed for so long and the first detangle efforts made.

It'll be OK. I promise. Just do your best, sigh, and avoid SUPER GOO in the future. I do the SUPER GOO thing maybe once a year and just suck it up for such an event, knowing well, it'll be not fun to get it out. But I know how to get it out, at least, and frankly, I don't even GOO UP once a year now. (I have nowhere to dress up and GO!)

It's going to be OK. This technique will work, but it's painstaking.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
All comb work. NO brushes.

heidi w.

Ursula
June 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'd suggest that you shampoo, using a simple formula clarifying shampoo, with ALS as the primary detergent. You want water, detergent, and perhaps a little scent, but not much else in the way of ingredients. I usually use TreSemme Vit. C when I need a full-fledged clarification.

You might also add baking soda, as Heidi suggested. I've not used baking soda while clarifying, myself, but her advice is often sound.

Shampoo well, perhaps a couple times, using as much shampoo as needed. Your goal is to get down to naked hair. Then load up on a lot of conditioner, let it soak, and detangle, gently, from the bottom up, with a very wide toothed comb and your fingers, while still loaded with conditioner and adding more conditioner as needed.

After that, maybe finish with a deep treatment, such as SMT.

Don't try to detangle, or manipulate in any way, while you still have the holding gel in your hair. The stuff is practically glue, and you'll only cause problems. Wash it out, through the tangles if needed, and then work on getting rid of the tangles when they aren't glued into place.

Sam-I-Am
June 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
YES. Definitely clarify. I had my hair done for my SIL's wedding a couple weeks ago and brought a tablespoon or so of baking soda to the wedding with me for the undoing of the hairdo. I didn't have any hair glue in my hair though; just a ton of hairspray.

I jumped in the shower afterwards and did a baking soda rinse - the baking soda in a cup full of warm water, with my ends dipped in first (they got the brunt of the spray) and then dumping it over my head. Then I rinsed and conditioned my hair from top to tip. It almost seemed in better condition afterward than before - I guess it needed to be clarified! The clarifying wash also helped unclog all my hairs' little scales so that when I smeared lots of coconut oil on after the wash, my hair soaked it up readily.

If your hair likes oils, do what Heidi said and also oil your hair after your wash. Hope you get all the goo out!

TheSpottedCow
June 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I guess you know for the future but it seems the longer you leave in a salon style the worse it is to take out..

But anyway, yes I would clarify. I used to use Rusk Clarify. I found that it cleaned my hair squeaky, but still didn't make it dry. I haven't ever used the natural recipies for clarifying like baking soda but like other have said, it's worth a try if you prefer non commercial products.

I don't do salons anymore, and never will (yes, I know that are issues like weddings and such but I'd do anything I could myself to avoid the salon.) but in the past I found it best to clarify GOOD. As in, use the Rusk and twice in a row. And then, use some deep conditioner and leave it on for a while.

Maybe your shampoo wasn't cleansing enough... Also, it could just be dried out right now. I'm sure after a good cleansing and conditioning, even if it is not 100% right away, it will recover with some TLC.