PDA

View Full Version : Caruso sadness!

buttercupmcgee
June 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I've used my new Caruso steam rollers a few times now....and each time the results have been super flat and lifeless, with a few weird bends thrown in for good measure.

After the first few failed attempts I thought it might have been my fault for not trimming my hair in 6 months--so I got a trim last Sunday. I refreshed my layers. As of today I'm still getting the same blah results.

I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It holds curl well usually. Hot roller curls last until I wash them out, and give me huge, Victoria's Secret hair.

I am so sad.:( Maybe someone with experience with this can help.

Here's what I do:

* Wash hair with sulfates and cones every 3 days, air dry. Generally speaking my hair has a lot of softness and slip but is not heavy. It's also only to my collar bone.
* Either wash day or the next day I apply the rollers (same schedule I used for hot curlers)
* I leave them on the steam for 5 seconds each and then twist hair around the roller, and wrap it up to scalp
* I steam the shield for 2 seconds before applying
* I leave them in for 30 minutes. I can't really devote more than this to them before work. Plus this is more than enough time for slightly damp hair to dry, right? The book says 15 mins! I even tried blasting with warm and cool air at the end just to make triply sure they were dry.
* Unwrap. Hair unsightly, lank mess. Worse than before I used the rollers.

I experimented with the timing....some rollers I left on the steam for 3 seconds, some for 10. It made no difference.

Help!!! I really want to love and need to get the hang of them since I've given up heat!!! :confused::confused:

UltraBella
June 25th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I use my Caruso all the time and I LOVE it !

It can take some practice to get it right for your hair needs. I do not steam my rollers as long as you are steaming yours. I probably steam them for 3 seconds, my shield for under a second. For my daughter's hair I must steam them longer. We both leave them in for about 30 min and we both have curls that last for days.

How many rollers are you using on your whole head ?

Do you put anything in your hair as a leave-in ?

ETA : Here is a thread I started about my Caruso curls. Might be something helpful in there, maybe ?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52864

buttercupmcgee
June 26th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I use my Caruso all the time and I LOVE it !

It can take some practice to get it right for your hair needs. I do not steam my rollers as long as you are steaming yours. I probably steam them for 3 seconds, my shield for under a second. For my daughter's hair I must steam them longer. We both leave them in for about 30 min and we both have curls that last for days.

How many rollers are you using on your whole head ?

Do you put anything in your hair as a leave-in ?

ETA : Here is a thread I started about my Caruso curls. Might be something helpful in there, maybe ?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52864

Thanks Ultrabella, this info is so helpful.

I actually happened upon your thread ( GORGEOUS PICS) in my search for answers.

Your hair seems coarser than mine....do you suggest 3 seconds for fine hair?

I have been using a combination of sizes, usually the small and petite ones at my nape and larger ones up top. I roll 1 - 2" sections, just like with hot rollers. I haven't used the jumbo since my hair is only collar bone and I'm going for curls.

I use about 20 rollers total. I don't use any product with them, as I read somewhere it isn't necessary. Do you use anything? Why do you leave them on longer for your daughter?