PDA

View Full Version : Red Hair

AshleyTheRed
June 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I tired to find a thread like this but had no luck!

Red Hair- Do you have it? Do you love it? Natural, Dyed, Henna, its all welcome here! Post pictures or talk about life as a red head :D

I actually have a hard time finding products for my hair because my skin/scalp is so sensitive. Not to mention that my scalp gets sunburnt and makes it a thousand time harder.

lindaton
June 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have always been a redhead. Was teased a little when young but not scarred from it. I do color now and it is still really close to the natural color. Yours is very pretty by the way.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv334/lindaton1/102_3101-1-1.jpg

GoatLady
June 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm a henna-head and plan to be so until I dye (oops, funny typo. I meant die). Personal preference, I like red hair better than my gray.

I'm naturally a dark auburn, so dark red isn't much of a stretch for me.

Mairéad
June 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I had very red hair as a child but it started browning and ashing out a bit when I started college, so I perk it up with a little henna/cassia.

I don't remember being made fun of so much for having it, expect by my sister and her friend. That was bad enough though. :(

Other than that, my life as a redhead mainly is finding makeup products that actually compliment me and also keeping those dang sunburns from happening.

~BoHemiAngel~
June 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hello!! :waving:

I have auburn hair naturally, but I've been playing with Henndigo recently to achieve a deeper reddish-brown. I have some of HennaSooq's Yemeni on my head right now, will have to post pics when it's done! :D

akuamoonmaui
June 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I've always had red hair. When I was little it was strawberry blond, now it has more brown undertones. I use henna to keep the grays in check and keep the color fresh.

I love having red hair.

Anje
June 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hi! Born an auburnish redhead, started hennaing in college, a bit disturbed to find I'm getting more brunette now in my late 20s.

AshleyTheRed
June 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I was born with bright orange hair.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I've always been in the redhead range, though I henna because I love having more of a true red tone to my hair. It is naturally a very light auburn that gets blondish in the summer.

I adore red hair. I love having it, & I love the way it looks on other people. I know some redheads who hate their freckled & easily-sunburned complexion, but I'm happy to be pale & spotty. I'm glad my hair's a bit thicker & darker than some of my redhead friends though, because I would not want to have to deal with my scalp burning.

I've never really been teased about my haircolor, but I've had people remark on how I must have a nasty temper because of it. I also get lots of comments about how I must be Irish. I do have some Irish ancestry, but it's a very small amount. People always seem to think they're very clever for figuring that one out...

Also, it seems like sketchy creeper men really like to comment on my red hair. But I think that'd probably happen if it were a different color, too.

Atraxi
June 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm a fake red head. My natural hair colour is an extremely dark brown which has no shine to it, and as I have yellow-toned pale skin, just makes me look ill. Red suits my complexion much better, and I get far more compliments on it.

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
@Lindaton...WOW, you have a fabulous head of hair!!

@AshleytheRed...I love your hair color! I've adored red hair-- particularly red gold hair for years. I'm a frustrated brunette with only a slight tinge of red in the sun (courtesy of my mom who had beautiful copper colored hair..and my maternal grandmother who had bright red gold hair). I once toyed with the idea of dyeing it red..but the idea didn't get far as I didn't want the hassle of having to keep it up..and my hair was very, very thick and long.

Many of my favorite classic actresses are red haired: Jeanette MacDonald, Greer Garson, Irene Dunne, Katherine Hepburn, Rhonda Fleming, Maureen O'Hara.

You red haired folks are so lucky! Red hair is rare!

lindaton
June 25th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thank You Madora. And so do you. I feel it's all in my genes. I remember washing my hair as a teenager with dishsoap because I liked the squeaky clean feeling I got. And it was so healthy then.

rouquine25
June 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello fellow reds! :) I love my red hair, and I wouldn't change it for the world! I also love being pale, too! But I really wish I had more freckles...I hardly have any! But sometimes it seems like the color of my hair is fading a bit...It's so hard to keep it protected! :/ I also hate trimming it, because even though it gets rid of the split ends, my hair takes forever to grow and I like it LONG!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/courtneydiane/IMG_0865.jpg Here's me :)

And @ifthemoonsmiled why is it that creeper men like red hair so much??? Lol.

Cardinal
June 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I was strawberry blond as a child, it darkened up to brunette when I hit puberty, and started going white in my teens. I started coloring auburn when I was 14, and have done so ever since.
Since my maternal grandmother was a red-haired Scot with very fair skin, I inherited the skin tone, and the auburn looks good on me.
I can't imagine any other color on my other than some shade of red.

LaceyNg
June 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
my hair doesnt know what it wants to be-- it grows in a light red at my hairline at the top and temples, and then the rest of the place a light brownish red. enough of a color difference to make it look all un-even. like i've got friggin mutated genes or something :justy:
and to top that off, the outer part of my brows grow in white blonde, and the rest a dark brown. *sigh* i'm now a fan of bleaching my brows :cool:

i do henna glosses on my hair and thats enough to even it all out for the most part. and as the henna grows out its not too terribly obvious before i re-do it again.

LOVE red hair, all shades of it (and did you know "they" say that eventually there will be no more natural red heads?! apparently each year there are less and less born! hurry ladies, procreate! ;), but i do NOT like my friggin freckles. i just feel like they keep my complexion from looking nice. oddly enough, i DO like them on other people. go figure :shrug:

i've heard that red-heads tend to have thicker hair? well, i for sure didnt get that part of the gene at ALL. i'm extremely jealous of some of my cousins who got the beautiful orangey-red hair thats all nice and thick. lucky beesh's! :p

TheMechaGinger
June 25th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Natural red head checking in. I henna sometimes but not recently

I also wish I had more freckles. I have a lot of them but they're a little faded and I want them to stand out like POW! Haha but that being said, I absolutely love being pale and a ginger and wouldn't change it for the world. I'd love for my hair to be like fiery red but that's why I do an occasional henna to help =]

pixiestar
June 26th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I use henna glosses to give me an auburn colour. I love red hair:crush: always have, my first boyfriend was a redhead and my husband is a natural redhead:D

Bandia Rua
June 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Natural redhead checking in! :) I love my fair skin and freckles and I hate that my hair isnt super firey red but im still a red and I love it:) im going to sleep now :)

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Thanks Madora! Neither of my parents had red hair but my paternal grandmother did.

LaceyNg I have very thick hair.

I hate being fair skinned simply because of the sunburn. I don't mind my freckles xD

LunaMoon
June 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I don't know what is the color of my hair, but some people say is red... Sometimes it gets cooper/golden, sometimes red...
My hair has its own personality...
I am the only one in my family with that kind of color, my mother is light blond, my father has dark brown hair... My sister is dark blonde (and color her hair dark brown).
Checking in!:blossom:

ifthemoonsmiled
June 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
WOW we have some gorgeous redheads in this thread!

I've heard that about how red hair is slowly going extinct, too. It is a recessive gene, so it's less likely to get passed along. I have a redheaded friend who likes to tell me it's our duty to find some ginger boys & procreate...we must preserve the redheaded line! Unfortunately, while I tend to think redheads are some of the most beautiful people on earth, when it comes to animal attraction my taste tends to favor brunettes. :D

I do, however, feel a weird sort familial connection to other redheads. It's like I'm extra attuned to them, & tend to notice when one is around. I get this feeling like we're secretly part of the same tribe.

Zesty
June 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I love red hair! Two of my closest friends have beautiful, natural bright red hair. I just have a sort of medium brown hair, which I'm content with, BUT if I were to dye my hair I would totally go red. :D

AshleyTheRed
June 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM

I've heard that about how red hair is slowly going extinct, too. It is a recessive gene, so it's less likely to get passed along. I have a redheaded friend who likes to tell me it's our duty to find some ginger boys & procreate...we must preserve the redheaded line! Unfortunately, while I tend to think redheads are some of the most beautiful people on earth, when it comes to animal attraction my taste tends to favor brunettes. :D

I do, however, feel a weird sort familial connection to other redheads. It's like I'm extra attuned to them, & tend to notice when one is around. I get this feeling like we're secretly part of the same tribe.

Haha! Redheads are going extinct in some countries but in the past couple of years redheads have increased in the US. Still I think I should qualify for a scholarship or something xD

SwordWomanRiona
June 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hello fellow reds! :) I love my red hair, and I wouldn't change it for the world! I also love being pale, too! But I really wish I had more freckles...I hardly have any! But sometimes it seems like the color of my hair is fading a bit...It's so hard to keep it protected! :/ I also hate trimming it, because even though it gets rid of the split ends, my hair takes forever to grow and I like it LONG!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/courtneydiane/IMG_0865.jpg Here's me :)

And @ifthemoonsmiled why is it that creeper men like red hair so much??? Lol.

Love your red hair!

SwordWomanRiona
June 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I love red hair, it's my dream hair-colour. I have copper-gold highlights naturally in my medium brown hair, but now I'm a henna-head because I want more red! After a couple of tries, I'm still on my way to obtaining my craved copper-mahogany favourite shade of red.

Joliebaby
June 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I have just bought henna and cassia and I'm this >< close to hennaing my hair more red :D
I'd love the health benefits too---

Arya
June 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Guys. Let me just say for once and all

Red Heads Are Not Going Extinct.

It's far too commonly carried to be in danger of extinction.
It's not going to show up as much, it's just going to show up in weirder and weirder places.

Recessive genes don't 'die off', they just 'go underground'.

My parents and their parents had brown hair. My paternal grandfather's mother has red hair, she's the only one. I have natural red hair. The red hair gene didn't die out when my GGma had non-redhead kids and grandkids. It didn't 'disappear', it 'went underground' for two generations, to resurface in the third one.

People used to travel less, so carriers of recessive genes would meet each other more, and have children where the gene would express itself more often. Now that we're more mobile, us red heads and carriers of the gene are having children more often with non carriers. But our children can still have red-headed children should they procreate with another carrier, down the road.

My boyfriend is Vietnamese, has no history of red hair in his family. This means there is a really slim chance any of our children would have red hair (slim, not non-existent). But every single one of my children would carry the recessive gene. So lets say I have a daughter who looks totally asian. She'll still carry the recessive gene. She could marry someone like her, and they could have a totally asian looking child...except with red hair. Like I said, popping up in weirder places.

Did you know that lots of Afghani and Indian women have naturally red hair? It's not just a western European trait. I also know a fully Chinese girl with golden eyes and golden hair. Naturally.

*Rose Red*
June 26th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I am not really a redhead, I always say "strawberry blonde", but I like the red more than the blonde in my hair :) you can see a picture of my hair in my profile. I really love red hair and I am always looking for ways to enhance the red without hair dying.

jojo
June 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I was strawberry blonde as a baby, which turned to golden blonde as a child, to a dark blonde with natural copper highlights as an adult. Ive used henna 4 times but I am now growing it out as I have silvers coming through but its hard to tell where my natural colour ends and my henna starts!

Mairéad
June 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM

I do the same thing when red heads are around. I notice them and feel like we're from the same tribe, lol.

My boyfriend's sister is a red head so with my red hair and with him most certainly having the gene, we may have a red head. I hope I get a curly one too, mwhahaha. So cute!

Mrspuddinhead
June 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Unlike many of you beautiful ladies my hair isn't a natural red.Yes, I cheated. * wink, wink* My hair is a natural blonde. Below I have pictures.

Here is a picture of my natural hair color which I am trying to go back too though it's mighty tempting to color.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2l5hzb.jpg

Here is a picture of my current hair color. Strawberry blonde I would say.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2i6805.jpg

LaceyNg
July 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM

hahaha! i get what you mean! i see a redhaired person, as since i have a lot of family wit hred hair i feel like i automatically know them moreso than a non-redhead, and so i'm apt to be a little nicer, i imagine :D

Haha! Redheads are going extinct in some countries but in the past couple of years redheads have increased in the US. Still I think I should qualify for a scholarship or something xD

I AGREE! if people can get them based on skin color, we can on haircolor too, right?! ;)

It's not going to show up as much, it's just going to show up in weirder and weirder places.

Recessive genes don't 'die off', they just 'go underground'

My boyfriend is Vietnamese, has no history of red hair in his family. This means there is a really slim chance any of our children would have red hair (slim, not non-existent). But every single one of my children would carry the recessive gene. So lets say I have a daughter who looks totally asian. She'll still carry the recessive gene. She could marry someone like her, and they could have a totally asian looking child...except with red hair. Like I said, popping up in weirder places.

Did you know that lots of Afghani and Indian women have naturally red hair? It's not just a western European trait. I also know a fully Chinese girl with golden eyes and golden hair. Naturally.

i totally get what you're saying, but there are less and less people in the us with visible red hair these days, right?

and i'm in the same boat! my husband's chinese, and our baby doesnt look a thing like me, looks more like i stole somebody's asian baby. :cheese: of course, i had to admit that an asian looking baby would have looked a little funny with red hair and freckles. lol

dragonchickx
July 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
im a natural medium auburn.. some mistake it as brown some say it is red, but when compared to blonde or any medium brown hair mine really really stands out as reddish. It is slightly redder than chestnut brown. : )

Helix
July 1st, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yesterday dbf and I were having a little chat and somehow got to talking about his hair color (he's very proud of his red hair, mind you). It was a playful/silly convo and I can't be bothered to recall all of it but at one point he said to me "once you go ginge(r) you can't go back," :eyebrows:. My reaction: :rolleyes:

I then stared at him for a few seconds, squinted my eyes a little bit, innocently cocked my head to the side and said, "Bebe...are you suuure you're a red-head? Because you kinda look like a strawberry blonde to me?"

You should have seen his reaction. Lol! the look on his face was priceless. "I am NOT a straw-berry blonde!" he roars "Strawberry blonde is just a term someone uses when they're afraid to admit they're a red-head!"

I died.

Lesson learned: Some guys don't like being called strawberry anything...

truepeacenik
July 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
Natural red here.
Some sparklies/ silvers.

AshleyTheRed
July 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
Natural red here.
Some sparklies/ silvers.
I have those natural silvers and I'm sixteen xD. My friends like to find my white and sliver hairs, and tease me about it.:o

AlleyKitten
July 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
When I was little, I was a total carrot-top. My hair would blonde out in summer, when I spent all my time in the pool and in the sun, and then go back to red in winter. Since a lot of pictures from when I was a kid were taken at my (August) birthday parties, looking back it seems like I lost the red at age three, but my mother assures me that it stuck around for several more years.

Now it's strawberry blonde, and I love it. I briefly dyed darker red streaks in the front (what would be bangs if I hadn't grown those out in the seventh grade, and let me tell you that was not a good look for me), but after a couple months decided I didn't like it that much and dyeing it was a pain. So now I'm all natural except maybe a few remnants of years-old dye at the bottom.

I'm freckley as all get out right now, since the sun keeps taking me by surprise and I've burned a few times. I really like the redhead/pale/freckles look, so I'm pretty happy, skin cancer risk aside.

Fufu
July 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
I finally have red hair, dyed though and it will fade to brown...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/ReddishBrown-3July2011-1.jpg

pittsburgpam
July 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM
I was strawberry blonde as a child. My mother told me later, when I was an adult, that she was afraid that I was going to be, "a red haired, freckle faced brat." Then I turned just blonde, then started getting darker in high school until now a henna head.

The first time I went red it was a deep burgandy. The next day I went to work and so many people commented how good red looked on me. One woman said, "It goes good with your Irish coloring." I avoid the sun almost like a vampire since all I do is burn.

AshleyTheRed
July 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm actually going to try to gain more freckles tomorrow. (tan) On my legs. xD

GlassWidow
July 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm a natural redhead, too, but these days I give it a little boost with henna since it darkened after I had my kids. I'm also generously blessed with freckles (I keep saying one day they'll all grow together and I'll be tan). :D

My mother had my baby pictures out over the weekend, and my boys thought it was HI-LAR-IOUS that my hair was so light it was pink when I was born. Although they both have bright copper highlights, the boys are a lot more blonde than I ever was They are, however, definitely getting my freckles. :cheese:

Keller1128
July 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I'm a natural redhead and I love it! I think that if my hair weren't naturally red that I would dye it. Mine isn't that fiery red but still red. I need to post some pictures soon.

Vanilla Mint
July 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM

My parents and their parents had brown hair. My paternal grandfather's mother has red hair, she's the only one. I have natural red hair. The red hair gene didn't die out when my GGma had non-redhead kids and grandkids. It didn't 'disappear', it 'went underground' for two generations, to resurface in the third one.

People used to travel less, so carriers of recessive genes would meet each other more, and have children where the gene would express itself more often. Now that we're more mobile, us red heads and carriers of the gene are having children more often with non carriers. But our children can still have red-headed children should they procreate with another carrier, down the road.

I love you for this post.

kmoc123
July 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yes I have it...color occasionally to cover bits of silver...my kids and grand daughter have red hair, too!

Signe
July 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM
My best friend and DBF are both ginger, and I think it is the most beautiful thing in the world. If ginger genes are recessive, I say bring on the recession!

Arya
July 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I love you for this post.

Thanks very much ^__^ The 'gingers are dying out' thing is one of my pet peeves. XD

AshleyTheRed
July 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
There's a lady at my church that had red hair, but got cancer :(. She lost all of her hair, but it grew back in this beautiful salt and pepper, and the last time I saw her it was almost to her waist.
I took a picture of it, and its my goal for when I'm old. If I don't get it naturally, my best friend/hair dresser will get it for me! :eyebrows:

squiggyflop
July 12th, 2011, 08:58 PM
my natural hair color is icky.. it starts chestnut at the roots then sun bleaches slowly making the hair 3+ different colors.. at shoulder the ends are starting to turn red, then by bsl, the ends are coppery, then around waist the ends start turning strawberry blond.. and then just lighter and lighter strawberry blond.. this is why i often but my hair short or dyed it during my teen years..

behold the only evidence of squiggyflop's natural hair color
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/IM000030crop-1.jpg
notice darker chestnut roots and lighter ends turning red..

under a microscope my hair has a brown cuticle and a red core.. im not surprised because my brother has flaming red hair..

i henna my hair to try to prevent fading and get a more uniform color.. still my ends are redder

gogirlanime
July 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM
My hair is naturally a light brown and I have been dying it red with 1/2 cherry and 1/2 orange kool aid for a few weeks and I love it. In the past I have used conventional hair dye to make my hair red (been doing this for years) but I no longer want to damage my hair like that, so I use kool aid which stains your hair in the same way as henna but I like the color it gives more than henna :)

I love all reds and I have tried almost every red on my hair in the past. I like all sorts of reds on other women. The kind that looks best on me is a very vibrant red/orange red head color. I pull it off well because I am of Irish decent and have the Irish skin tone.

lacefrost
July 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM

SNIP

This is very true, especially as the red-head gene is very complicated. For other hair colors, you go from light to dark, but the red gene mixes with other genes.

Technically, I'm a redhead. I know, crazy right? I don't run through the streets saying I have red hair, I claim dark brown. But the redhaired gene, even though it's recessive, pairs with another hair color gene. So what essentially happens is that you get Red + Another Color. Like Red + Blonde = Strawberry Blonde. Red + Brown = Auburn. So I get orange-copper hair from my mother's side but it's tempered from the really dark brown hair on my father's side. So what I get is essentially dark burgundy hair. It has natural red tints in winter and in the summer, it looks purplish.

So it's often not even that hidden. The rarer ones are the super coppery folks. But if I were to end up with a coppery dude, our kids would be pretty ginger.

AshleyTheRed
July 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I played softball with a girl who was half African American. She had BRIGHT red hair naturally. I once asked her what she used to get her hair an eyebrows that color and she pointed out her dad who was a white man with red hair. "From him". xD

Joliebaby
July 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM
DH's dad is a red head (now greying) and DH has red with some blonde in his beard (but it doesn't grow much LOL!) but the hair is his head is like light ash brown. He has fairer skin than mine though my hair is blonder, and some freckles. SIL has light skin with lots of freckles with curly hair but not red either. Neither of our kids have red hair. (But we could get red haired grandkids because our kids have the red gene.)

Aerin
July 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm a natural redhead (when I was little it was bright orange, now a deep auburn).

And there are some redhead clubs around. When I was at undergrad, we had a redhead club. Still have the t-shirt, which says, "Carrot tops are green Einstein".

ttverdy
July 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Natural redhead here! My whole family is redheaded, including much of the extended bunch. :)