PDA

View Full Version : Target Goody hair bun screw

IndigoAsh
June 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
So Target sells a Goody product that is like a huge screw to hold your bun. My hair eats the clamps like they're going out of style, so I saw this but I wasn't sure what you all thought about it. My hair is mid-butt length and pretty thick. Does it bend easy? How often do you have to stop and fix your bun? Does is snag hairs? Is the size enough for a lot of hair? Is it tough to use? TIA.:)

growingpains
June 25th, 2011, 11:25 AM
It does not bend, as far as I can tell, but you don't need it to. I have three of the smaller goodie screws and one of those put into my bun at an angle plus two bobby pins holds it all day. Love the screws, has revolutionized bun making. The set you are looking at should be perfect for your length and thickness. Start with one and see how it holds then add more if need be.

homeeduk8tor
June 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
It does not bend, as far as I can tell, but you don't need it to. I have three of the smaller goodie screws and one of those put into my bun at an angle plus two bobby pins holds it all day. Love the screws, has revolutionized bun making. The set you are looking at should be perfect for your length and thickness. Start with one and see how it holds then add more if need be.

This is good to know. I've seen this bun screws at Target too and I wondered how good they were. I know that I love Goody Spin Pins so it's no surprise that this hair device could potentially be wonderful. I'll be interested to see the opinion of some others as well.

Annibelle
June 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I love the spin pins, but I bought the bun screw and it doesn't do a thing for me... but I have fine/thinnish hair. The screw looked like it would be a fine size for my bun, but I guess my bun is even punier than I thought, because the screw is too big. :(

cubedcoley
June 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Goody Spin Pins are AWESOME! :thumbsup: Definitely worth the investment and I wear them a majority of the time: I work in an emergency department and even through the long shifts and tons of running around for patients, my hair stays put, even without hairspray! I have hair that is a few inches above BSL, and two work great for me!

torrilin
June 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Stats: about 32" long hair, 3" ponytail circumference

I can use the Goody Bun Spiral for some styles. I do a weird Nautilus/Artemis variant that works, and I can get the spiral to hold cinnabun variants that are flattish. For a lot of unbraided buns, I have too much thickness to get use out of it tho. I've seen a couple posters with hair that's similar to mine use it for braided buns. I need a bit more length yet for a braided bun to hold. I'd tend to say it is best suited for thinner or shorter hair - most posters who have used it successfully are APL or less.

If you're going to try Goody products in this line, I'd go for the Spin Pins. They work for a wide range of buns, and they seem to work well for posters with hair ranging from the thin end of i to the thick end of iii. The folks with thicker hair tend to prefer using 4 or even 6 spin pins for a bun, but few with medium thickness seem to need more than 2 until they're well past waist.

The Modern Updo pin is basically a hair fork, and it takes an awful lot of hair. The bottom of my bra strap hits around 25". That's too short to use it. Around 27", it's just possible to use it. I should be able to continue using it for 6-12" of growth past my current 32", maybe more. Because the tines are pretty far apart, I suspect it can work well for people with hair thicker than mine.

The styling ideas included in the packaging are usually pretty laughable, and they are not a plus. The one good thing the packaging does is it introduces the idea that you should catch both bun hair and scalp hair for a style to hold. Only... it does that on the Modern Updo pin and not any of the other products in the line.

UltraBella
June 26th, 2011, 12:11 AM
So Target sells a Goody product that is like a huge screw to hold your bun. My hair eats the clamps like they're going out of style, so I saw this but I wasn't sure what you all thought about it. My hair is mid-butt length and pretty thick. Does it bend easy? How often do you have to stop and fix your bun? Does is snag hairs? Is the size enough for a lot of hair? Is it tough to use? TIA.:)

OP, are you referring to the little spin pins, or the new product that is much larger, looks like a spiral, that you twist over your entire bun to secure it ?

If you are referring to the larger one piece bun spiral, I bought one. It does not even remotely hold all my hair. I can see how it would work for thinner hair, but it was not even a remote possibility for me.

owlathena
June 26th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I love the spin pins but I haven't tried the big spiral thing. It looks interesting though. My hair is kind of thin so it might work.

woolyleprechaun
June 26th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I havent seen one of these! Ar they available in the UK? has anyon got a link? To be honest, Im still prefering normal bun pins to my spin pins, but perhaps thats due to my layers...

Scarlet_Heart
June 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I haven't bought one because they just seem too specific. As in, it seemed like you would need to have just the right size bun for it to fit over with out it being too big. Besides, the spin pins do the job of holding a bun up just fine, so why get the bun spiral?

IndigoAsh
June 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah I was posting about the bun holder. I had seen a lot of bad reviews on it, but was still wondering what you guys thought. I tend to make hair purchases based on what I see on LHC, over any reviews on the net. I was afraid I'd bend the metal with my bun, that the plastic ends would catch on hairs, or that it wouldn't hold at all. I'd rather put that $7 toward a good fork or sticks if the bun holder is trash. But I'm so tired of using a million hair pins to keep my hair in a bun. The plastic hair clamps(the teeth) break really quickly in my hair.

McFearless
June 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I just bought a package yesterday. The box comes with two pins. I have waist length, curly, thick hair and I'm surprised that they hold. You literally have to spin them into your hair, joining the scalp hair and your bun together. I have never used the bun spiral thingie. It doesn't seem very sturdy. I'd rather put that 7$ towards a hair fork that is secure.

Sherri
June 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I just bought the large bun spiral and I would not recommend it to anyone. It doesn't hold my hair at all. It is hard to remove and tangles the hair trying to get it out to. I have not had any luck with it at all:(

selderon
June 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I believe the bun spiral is meant to be spiraled into the bun so that it disappears into the hair. Although it looks a bit like a bun cage, I don't think it is supposed to be used that way.

ETA: It looks like the bun spiral is sort of a cross between a bun cage and a spin pin. Check out Goody's how to video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSI7_GB9EE&feature=related).

I'm so happy with the spin pins that I'd rather buy more of them than try the bun spiral.

Carolyn
June 27th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Spin Pins and the Bun Spiral work on the same concept. They are both screwed into the hair. However there is a huge difference. The Spin Pins can be placed where you want them. You can use as many as you wish. They basically perform the function of hair pins but they screw in and don't slide in to the bun. I bought a Bun Spiral and as I said in another recent thread on the topic, I think they are a piece of crap. It didn't work at all for me. It was awkward to use and I had a hard time screwing it it. When I finally got it into my hair it didn't hold worth a damn. Don't waste your money.

IndigoAsh
June 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Well it sounds like that's that then. I'll go for the screw pins and not the bun holder =^.^= Thanks everyone.

selderon
June 27th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Spin Pins and the Bun Spiral work on the same concept. They are both screwed into the hair.

Actually, in the company's YouTube video it looks like the Bun Spiral is mostly screwed around the bun. It's a strange product.

Carolyn
June 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Actually, in the company's YouTube video it looks like the Bun Spiral is mostly screwed around the bun. It's a strange product.Yes I saw that. First I tried that method and it was a dismal failure. The I tried screwing it through my bun. That didn't work either. It pisses me off to waste money on crap. I wish I could take it back but I don't have the packaging or the receipt. So I have to say "screw you, bun screw" :D It's a horrid thing.

selderon
June 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Yes I saw that. First I tried that method and it was a dismal failure. The I tried screwing it through my bun. That didn't work either. It pisses me off to waste money on crap. I wish I could take it back but I don't have the packaging or the receipt. So I have to say "screw you, bun screw" :D It's a horrid thing.

LOL I have enough trouble managing with tools that I know work. I notice the Bun Spiral still hasn't made it onto the Goody website. Perhaps it will pass on (rather quickly) to Goody's Failure Heap. One can hope. :p