PDA

View Full Version : Growing out IN layers?

free_hug
June 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Yo All,

I am looking for layer support - and I sense a clear atmosphere of anti-layerism here. I did consider quite a while (just like so many of us who obsess over their hair way more than they should), but still, I feel I have some excellent reasons to grow out IN layers, and never even try the even cut. These are:

- oblong face. Yes, it does look horse-ish with all even long hair.
- not very thick hair. It's a basic ii, so not particularly thin either, just with my face.
- wurls. Which curse me to the triangle shape anywhere over APL, and I seem to be about a year away from APL.

I also have the luxury of two very patient friends, who would semi-annually go through my hair and only cut the very ends of each lock - so keeping up the layers, and very rarely re-shaping them does not even seem impossible, or entirely opposed to the idea of growing out.

But

should I try to make this a support thread? How many are you out there who prefer to try and grow it out layered?

...or is this deemed officially impossible?

honeybunny_1996
June 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm currently growing out my hair with layers. I enjoy my hair more with them because they give it more flow and brings out my wurls more. It's definitely possible and you should try it out if that's what you want to do.

whitestiletto
June 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I think you could call my goal layers too, perhaps... Though I might achieve them by never trimming the back ever so it tapers perfectly evenly. However I like to have some fringes around my face so I will continue cutting that so I have some wispies that are always short. Does that count? I really don't like blunt hemlines for my hair type and fashion style... All my jewelry and clothing has thin lines, lace and filigree, why not my hair?

akuamoonmaui
June 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I love my layers! For me, it keeps more life in my wurls and gives more movement when down. My layers are longer, so I haven't had many problems with layers affecting my braids or up do's.

free_hug
June 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the inputs - I do now feel a bit less of a weirdo in LHC terms :)

So, all are welcome, who are attempting growing with layers - and all, who have already proved successful. Come out and share experience please.

One quick thing on updos: as far as I can see, a french braid is good enough to keep together shoulder length layered hair. At least for me it works: the underhairs, braided above the upper ones, seem to keep it all together. So lately I've been sporting a french-braid, bunned at the end, and I got loads of cuteness-compliments for it :)
Well, it is a bit girlish for a girl my age though (28 )

UltraBella
June 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Layers are my friend. I am layer obsessed. I can't imagine not having them. I have had layers at shoulder length, layers at TBL, and I loved them all !

Lark
June 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I am also a layered fan, although I do not have such wonderful friends that are willing to help me keep up with the ends and have had to figure it all out myself! So instead I trim my hair in sections to keep the different lengths.
I am regretting my latest trim though, it looks great down, but the ends are so blunt that they refuse to hide within a bun and instead make it a mess!
Hopefully in a few months they will work it out on there own, I will just have to figure out some new buns, always needing new excuses to try new styles right :) If anyone has suggestions for thick, just brushing waist, layered hair buns please share!

dulce
June 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I loved my curly layers from shoulder to bsl but as my hair is not very thick, they now no longer look good on me at my present length[waist] so I'm growing them out. I have too much taper and spagetti look ends on my hem.I don't think most are anti-layers here.It all depends on your thickness{big factor!!] and your length,if you have thick hair, layers look great at any length.

elfgirl
June 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I had layers for about six months...and I kind of did the growing out in layers portion. It was fun and I enjoyed it (my layers were also long), but then I started to get annoyed that the braids would be thick at the top and thin near the bottom, with the strands sticking out.

But, like I said, it can be done. I just eventually grew mine out, but that was because it was my personal preference. I'd say go for it! It's always great to try new things! :)

silverjen
June 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I chose to trim out my layers before growing, but in retrospect I wish I had done it the other way around. I'd be so much farther along if I grew with layers! So, thumbs up from me on your decision.

Djinmonet
June 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I grew out, at some point once, with layers. It looked really neat when down. All that bounce and wurl. One of the reasons I didn't continue to cut layers into my hair is the trouble with updos. That was more a heat issue for me though, as I wanted every last strand up, and staying up, all day.
While I grew out layers it never occurred to me to cut them off. (I also wasn't a member, so in my odd little teenage mind - blunt, even cuts were actually for men only. :whistle:) I maintained the layers health through search and destroy sessions, but they grew all the way out if they didn't split and get trimmed.
Your saying you have friends who will do the kind task of maintaining them for you? Wow. Enjoy your layers. :)

Gabriel
June 25th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I have layered hair and I'm at classic length. I've had them cut in since tail bone or so. I don't remember exactly...

I got them cut in heavily to help blend a very blunt fringe I got. They've grown out softly and I get less each time I get a trim now since I no longer have the heavy fringe. I like having layers and don't have any trouble with up dos. I won't ever get them so extreme again since they make my braid taper ridiculously (glad that's getting better!) but I'll always have some layers because I really like the way they look.

Well, I will always have layers as long as I have my current awesome hair stylist!

Oh and I found this thread with lots of responses you might want to look through...
Does anyone else prefer layers in their hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71043&highlight=layers)

KittyLost
June 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Oh and I found this thread with lots of responses you might want to look through...
Does anyone else prefer layers in their hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71043&highlight=layers)

I knew there was a layer appreciation thread! I just couldn't find it. Thanks for posting the link :)

I guess I'm growing with layers. I usually grow blunt to make updos easier and get layers when I reach goal. Due to an accident I'm left with 4inch shortest layers around the top layer of hair so I'll be growing with layers now but making my layers nicer when they're long enough.

I love layers, I agree with akuamoonmauri about them giving more life to my wurls.

spidermom
June 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I grew my pixie from short layers to longer layers and everything evened up about lower shoulderblade length. For me, it isn't all or nothing. Adding a few layers can be a nice change, growing out the layers another change.

ZaBasDa
June 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I originally grew my hair out with layers and it was great. As a curly, I felt it was necessary for decent looking hair at bsl or shorter. I also had really thick iii hair, so the layers helped make it manageable. My hair is no longer iii or curly and I don't really like layers anymore.

I also think the difference is your length. You are still at the point where layers make a real difference in how your hair sits. Somewhere around waist or hips layers don't keep your hair from dragging down on your face. If you like the layers then keep them.

|Xei
June 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I love my layers. The only time I had non-layered hair was before 4 years old, when I had this puffy mushroom cut. I prefer layers because I think they make my hair look a lot more interesting, and they make it easier to style as well. My hair tends to puff out at the ends, and since I wear my hair down most of the time, the layers give me some natural volume.

turtlelover
June 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM
At the moment, I like my layers, too, although when my hair gets longer, I want less layering than I have now. Until mid-back, I like a lot of layering on my hair to give it shape and bring out the curls.

Emmental
June 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I am growing my hair with layers. I can't imagine my hair without layers.

gthlvrmx
June 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Growing out WITH layers. 1)i am too afraid to cut off much growth, 2)i am really just trying to see how far i CAN go so if keep cutting and trying to rid the layers, it'll equal to more time plus, at terminal, what hairs really want to stay at the same length? It'll look "layered" anyways.

I'm sucking up the thinness look at the bottom, the thickness is finally coming right out and in the end, they'll all reach terminal

kidari
June 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I can't live without layers. I actually cut my own hair and I trim my layers and my bangs every month. I just leave the length alone but as it gets longer I'm thinking I need to let the layers get longer or put in more or something so they blend better.

EbonyCurls
June 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I love layers! I'll be honest, I want to look youthfully stylish even with long hair and although I absolutley adore and admire long, single-length hair, it doesn't match with my personal style aesthetic.
And I also love fairy tale ends and want to keep some on my bottom layers, but I want my long hair to look purposeful and not like I just grew it out willy nilly.

georgia_peach
June 26th, 2011, 04:54 AM
My hair is still at about earlength in front, so very short. But I once had APL hair (highschool) that was lightly layered and also framed my face. Really, it was so much more flattering than when my hair is all one length. I'm beginning to think I'd have more success growing out if I keep some layers.

Eirelin
June 26th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with my layers, and I am pretty sure that it has mostly to do with the overall length, i.e., when it gets longer, I will be happier with them. My hair is somewhat thicker than it looks most of the time; when I get a trim, it always surprises the stylist that I have so much hair. But the layers I have now are just kind of a mess (still working on growing out the disastrous hair donation).

I think I will always have layers, simply because it does look better and brings out the waves, but it is difficult to do the nice braids and not having little bits sticking out all over the place.

Tefnut
June 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM
i've decided to grow out my layers i've just had a big 1.5inch trim of dead ends have the same to go again...but i'm going to get a blunt cut next time so it may take off more than that.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I need a little bit of layering in my hair. Blunt cuts look weird with my face, I know that much. But I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to make the layers work as I grow it out. It's not really long enough to worry about yet, but I've still been obsessively checking out various layering styles & assessing how they'd work for me. Hey, it's good to plan!

Sweet_Decadence
June 26th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I love layers, without them my hair becomes a bit of a poofy mess.

In fact, they're really overdue a trim but I don't know how to do it myself and my last trip to the hairdressers didn't exactly leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy.

lorelai2012
June 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I am looking for layer support - and I sense a clear atmosphere of anti-layerism here.

:D This made me giggle. I've got a complex relationship with layers and that's lead me to say anti-layerish things but if layers feel right for you go ahead! I think I'm going to get some layers put in when I'm at goal because I've currently got it all one length (except at the front) which makes it easier for me personally to control what the hairdresser is doing ("please take one finger length off- no more!")- I have hairdresser-fear.
Good luck growing!

Lianna
June 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
My layers were growing out and I just put in some yesterday. I plan to have them for now, maybe at goal I'd want a blunt cut. They're just bottom layers in the last inch to control volume. What kind do you guys have?

Sunny_side_up
June 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I've trim trim trimmed and seen no growth progress but pretty much evened out hair, but as of late have thought my hair will not have the blunt cut look as it likes to grow at different speeds/unevenly, there are shorter lengths sticking out in my braids(i only do two simple ones, not a updo person)... sooo i am gonna go for growth now and see what hemline my hair takes on, am liking the idea of a v hem more and more, but scissors will be hidden away for now.
I had been thinking about layers alot a month ago, but the two week rule was enforced and the urge went after a week and a half:p
If i had left my layered shaggy cut of january '10 my hair would be past BSL for sure. It was growing well, but in my pics i could see wispyness and generally i think i would like layers in my longer hair which i'll get my mum to maintain. We shall see! Happy growing!:D

Nev
June 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM
i'm growing my hair with my layers, my face is oblong shaped and i look terrible without them. one length hair is just not for me!

jacqueline101
June 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I have layers in the side my hair is in a v shape and I love it. I wouldnt want stick straight all one length hair. I want it to be unique but healthy.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
What type of face shape do you guys think looks nice with layers? What shape looks nice without?

I ask this because my face is heart shaped, & I have seen 2 other face shapes mentioned in this thread already as a reason to have layers, & they are both shapes that I always assumed could probably pull off blunt hair better than mine. Maybe it's just personal perception.

CrisDee
June 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I think those of us who are anti-layers have fine and/or straight hair that looks like a rabid squirrel on crack when it's growing out - but I may just be speaking for myself. Blunt and straight works best for me - but for those with more wave, layers are definitely the way to grow! :)

growingpains
June 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I am not sure what I prefer. I like the thicker hemline of no layers, especially as my not so thick hair gets longer. BUT, I also like the body of layers. No layers makes my head look flat at the back and doesn't suit my face shape as much. I hadn't had my layers trimmed in well over a year (though I had been getting small trims every few months on the bottom) and just this week I got sick of it and gave my layers a solid 1 inch trim. They were SO fried from a year of no trims coupled with the remaining several inches of chemical damage.

I look forward to the day where my damaged hair doesn't make the decision for me and create a situation where I have to either have layers or go short to have it remotely healthy.

If I had my perfect world I'd be able to instantly have blunt hip length hair with slightly shorter front bits, and then depending on whether I liked that or not I'd cut in layers. I think ultimately I may prefer layers, but am really on the fence about it.

Nev
June 27th, 2011, 05:29 AM
What type of face shape do you guys think looks nice with layers? What shape looks nice without?

I ask this because my face is heart shaped, & I have seen 2 other face shapes mentioned in this thread already as a reason to have layers, & they are both shapes that I always assumed could probably pull off blunt hair better than mine. Maybe it's just personal perception.

I think it has a lot to do with personal perception, everyone has unique facial features and some hairstyles will just look better on some people than others. I just dont feel comfortable anymore without bangs or layers.
I took an online quiz to find out my face shape (out of curiosity), i couldnt find the same one, but this one seems okay.
http://face-shape.com/face-shape-quiz.html

julliams
June 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I trying to decide this for myself at the moment. I love the idea of all one length hair but then I'm not sure if it's the look I'm going for personally. I'm thinking more and more that I want to keep my layers and perhaps add some more. I've made an appointment with a salon in a week and I'm going to see what they have to say (knowing that they will go for layers...)

Ligeia_13
June 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I don't think I could grow out hair IN layers cause if I needed a little trim, I doubt I'd be able to do it myself and I don't trust hairdressers with my hair.

lacefrost
June 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I'm sort of inbetween. I love layers and so I decided to give myself layers. (sighs) I shouldn't've done that. I cut them really badly so I've been slowly growing them out. They make my hair look kinda mullety when it's in braids.

But ideally, I'd love a U-shaped hemline with face framing layers and some long layers in the back. Or I'll start out with that and let my hair fairytale. I think layers in long curly hair is just soooo so pretty.

selderon
June 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I am looking for layer support - and I sense a clear atmosphere of anti-layerism here.
There's anti-layerism here? I know a lot of people prefer a blunt hemline, but there are plenty who like layers too. I think the main reason for the pursuit of blunt-hemline happiness :p is that one-length ends reduce trouble with spiky updos.

I also have the luxury of two very patient friends, who would semi-annually go through my hair and only cut the very ends of each lock
Wow. That's awesome! :cheese:

Kaelee
June 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I got layers! I love them (when they behave) and am trying to keep/ maintain them. My hair is stick straight though so they like to be a pita lol.

umbrellabones
June 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I've got short layers and plan on keeping them(: Older pictures so my hair is straightened and teased (I know I was bad:p I've changed my ways) but this is my hair cut. Lot's o layers(;
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/whaleisbeast/godshesugly5-1.jpg
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/whaleisbeast/heygirlhey-1.jpg

free_hug
June 28th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Defintely a central problem in my life.

Speaking only of women here:

I think a wider (Slavic and Asian) face looks great with one-length long hair, since there the "hair weighs down the face" problem doesn't apply. In fact, I always found this type beautiful with plain long hair. Kind of my ideal of feminine beauty. <3

An oval face would just pull off with anything. In that very lucky case, it's all a matter of taste.

I am not sure about what a hear shaped face looks like... but you case may be similar to mine. I have an oblong face, which is normally more typical on men. Which means, even length long hair most definitely does weigh "my face down".
So unless I'm okay with looking non-pretty ( =mostly like a horse), I must absolutely get some volume around my face. And it works. You just wouldn't believe the difference this makes to some people's appearance.

So I have this great challenge: how to get some length, while maintaining the volume? (This is also why I envy curly people with huge hair)

lacrymosa777
June 28th, 2011, 12:37 AM
my hair has natural layers.....and i'll prob keep them for a while

MissAlida
June 28th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I'm growing my hair out in layers:D. I love layers, they make my hair look rich, and big, and my curls are bouncy. I also don't think that one lenght hair would suit me ( I have a round face). So don't worry, you are not alone, there are others who prefer layers over one lenght hair on themselves. I must mention tough, that IF I had straight hair, I would grow it out one lenght. But I don't, so GO LAYERS:cheese:.

InTheCity
June 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with dulce, that layers look great on almost anyone with thick hair.

That's the double edged sword here. Layers may give volume to thin, weighed down hair, but you also might not have enough hair to layer.
I got to BSL, my dream length, all one length. But once it got there, there was seriously like a .5" diameter of hair toward the end. It looked so sparse and scraggly that I knew I needed a cut. I went with the idea of layers for volume but I'll never know how the look I wanted turned out... because my stylist cut twice as much as I wanted him too, so now I have layers at chin and almost-shoulder.

For sake of length, I will be growing out these layers. I won't cut a milimeter until I get some decent length. What I'm hoping is that in 4-6 months, my shorter layer will be at the top of my shoulder and the longer hair will be past shoulder. That might look cute. We'll see.

Ugh, we need a support thread for people who don't have enough hair to look the way we want. Or about the oxymoron of layers for volume versus not enough hair to make layers out of :rant:

ifthemoonsmiled
June 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Defintely a central problem in my life.

Speaking only of women here:

I think a wider (Slavic and Asian) face looks great with one-length long hair, since there the "hair weighs down the face" problem doesn't apply. In fact, I always found this type beautiful with plain long hair. Kind of my ideal of feminine beauty. <3

An oval face would just pull off with anything. In that very lucky case, it's all a matter of taste.

I am not sure about what a hear shaped face looks like... but you case may be similar to mine. I have an oblong face, which is normally more typical on men. Which means, even length long hair most definitely does weigh "my face down".
So unless I'm okay with looking non-pretty ( =mostly like a horse), I must absolutely get some volume around my face. And it works. You just wouldn't believe the difference this makes to some people's appearance.

So I have this great challenge: how to get some length, while maintaining the volume? (This is also why I envy curly people with huge hair)

I think oblong & heart shapes are similiar, but I don't really know what an oblong face looks like, so I'm not sure! A heart shape tends to have wide cheekbones & forhead, a tapered jawline, & a narrow chin. (I think oblong is similiar, but without such a pointy chin...?)

I know that heart shapes are typically supposed to pull off a pixie cut really well...I've had stylists practically drooling over the shape of my face when I've come in to get a pixie. Apparently it's ideal for short hair. Not so much longer styles...my features are all kind of small & pointy, & my eyes are weirdly large, so I look kind of child-like & lost in a lot of one-length hair. Layers help my face look more balanced.

Molls
June 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'm growing my hair out with layers... my face is kind of round, so having it all one length would not be flattering on me at all.
I plan on keeping layers too. I like the way my hair falls with them, and it's easier to style. :)

prettykitty
June 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
+1 for growing out with layers. My hair is on the thinner side, and layers give it movement and life. The compensate for my slight wurliness, and narrow face.
I also sort of feel more...fashion-y with layers, when I've had one length hair in the past I felt a bit dowdy. I don't find too many bits poke out of my braid, though there is a bit of a taper. My lovely fairytale ends help hold my buns up, so they are actually a useful tool for me :)

EbonyCurls
July 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
+1 for growing out with layers. My hair is on the thinner side, and layers give it movement and life. The compensate for my slight wurliness, and narrow face.
I also sort of feel more...fashion-y with layers, when I've had one length hair in the past I felt a bit dowdy. I don't find too many bits poke out of my braid, though there is a bit of a taper. My lovely fairytale ends help hold my buns up, so they are actually a useful tool for me :)

Mine too! I just wrap em around and tuck them under. Also, I've always loved the looks of wild braids with a few layers sticking out and small, curly taper/tail at the end so that definitely would not bother me.

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Here's the explanation: "oblong" just means "long" :)

Click here for illustrative google image search (http://www.google.hu/search?q=oblong&#37;20face&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=hu&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=685) or just think strongly on Alanis, and try focussing with your mental stare on her face, instead of her hair :)

free_hug
July 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I've always loved the looks of wild braids with a few layers sticking out and small, curly taper/tail at the end so that definitely would not bother me.

+ 1 to this! As elegant as well done buns are, I still love the cute + playful + messy version of everything - braids, buns, pony or hair down :)

chahuahuas
July 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM
OoOo! I like this thread :D

Layers are my FRIEND! Curls looove layers, they keep them bouncy at even at long lengths! They are a must-have for me, starting at shoulder length. (At bob length, I need them to be blunt, because otherwise my hair starts fro-in' it up.)

Plus I kindof like "cheating" with my layers, where I keep it short near my face and long in the back. I feel like I get the best of both worlds. In fact, one day I had the long part of my hair behind my shoulders with just the shorter curly bits in front, and my boyfriend thought I cut my hair short! :laugh:

krissykins
July 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
free_hug, how long ago did you change your avatar?? I didn't recognize you for a second :o

I love me some layers! In fact, I want MORE layers, but I'm not going to get more until my hair thickens up a bit. But I'll come hang out with you guys, because layers are awesome (yea, I said it)!

Toiréasa
July 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I am growing out with layers too,when my hair was all one length l just did not like the way it looked around my face,plus my hair has more bounce with my layers.

SarahKayfa
July 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
May I join? I'm growing my hair out in layers. My last stylist trim, about 6 months ago, took off about 3-4" of dead ends and gave me a more deliberate layered style. Unfortunately, her scissors were a bit dull, and all my ends split. I've had to cut off another couple of inches over the last couple of months to stop the splits. So I'd rather not lose even more length to achieve bluntness which I don't even know if I want!)
After my last self trim though, I'm having more trouble keeping my ends neat in updos.