PDA

View Full Version : Go a different colour? picture heavy

kyandii
June 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'm fed up of being bleach blonde. The upkeep is WAY more than I want, I wouldn't mind if it just needed doing once a month but this is my growth 12 days after getting my roots touched up http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7929&pictureid=104593

I think light colours suit me much much more than dark
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252452_10150150831417824_587952823_5909566_3801713 _n.jpg

this is my natural colour, so for the blury photo it's the best one I could find
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/47515_425886309271_555139271_5004623_664633_n.jpg

I don't like this colour at ALL. It makes my skin look really yellow and washed out.

My query now is what colour/shade can I go?
My dream is to be a waist length blonde but I don't think I can keep this up for that long.

I really like this style.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2350/nicolarobertsbeatofmydr.png
But I know I will never look that good with both colours. I'll probably just look like a hobo who can't afford bleach :(

I'd love a midnight blue but I think it'll be too dark.

I'd also like to go red but not at this moment because almost everyone here has red hair because of Cherly Cole & Rihanna, I would like to not blend in too much :laugh:

I'm an absolute NIGHTRMARE I know.
I feel really down about my hair at the moment

luthein
June 25th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Aww, you're so pretty! Personally, I love your natural hair color in that photo. I think it really compliments your skintone and eye color. It also looks like you have a great complexion for henna.

The demarcation line may be a bit too harsh for ombre hair right away, but perhaps you could do lighter bleachings or honey treatments to achieve that desired look. You'll never know if it looks good on you unless you try -- and ombre hair is very 'in' right now.

Sylvanas
June 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Your natural colour looks gorgeous on you, and it definitely doesn't wash you out. You're being way too hard on yourself here :) You're a pretty girl, so you're gonna look pretty no matter what you do, but the bleached hair is what washes you out a bit. It doesn't look bad - not at all - but it's not doing you any favours either. If you want to stay blonde, you could go for a more highlighted look, or you could add in some lowlights to give your hair more depth. Red hair would suit you too, but there's upkeep with that as well. I think ombre hair would look really nice on you, and it's a good compromise, since you get to keep some of the hair light, but wouldn't have to worry about the upkeep.

Here's a a good how to video on ombre hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zgorzId6c

KittyLost
June 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I love your natural colour, I think it really suits you and looks great! The blonde looks good too but I think the brown suits you better. It doesn't make you look washed out or anything.

I love the ombre style like the picture you posted of Nicola, and I think you could pull that off really easily and the best way to achieve it is just wait for your roots to grow it more and if that first picture is only off 12days I'd say you wouldn't have long to wait! Since the picture and your hair are quite similiar except obviously Nicola's is more red being a natural redhead.

A midnight blue sounds nice but i think you're right and it might be a bit dark, blue also takes a bit of work. You'd have to tone your blonde so it has no yellow tones otherwise the blue would turn green. I think you could probably pull off a strawberry blonde/copper if you wanted colour change?

free_hug
June 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM
More twopence: I think your natural hair color suits your skin color a lot better than the bottle blond. As far as I can see from the pics, the bleach blond makes your skin look reddish white, the mid-brown you normally have make your skin look healthy white (aka "fair") and not yellow.

Again: this was just a personal opinion. May have been a bit harsh, I realize... but I really think whiteish bleach blonde rarely looks good on people. (and almost only on pictures. Like heavy make-up.)

As LHC fellow already suggested: why not try toning down your blonde? A Mild, dark blonde color could bring you closer to your natural color without really returning to it, and could get you away from the classic bleach, and shouting dark roots.
(Again, I have to warn that the next line will be very opinionated) And I personally just looove dark blonde, even when it's bottled... it could turn out really adorable.

free_hug
June 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
And to finally add something positive: awwww, you definitely shouldn't feel that much down... I see you've got some color dilemmas here, but your hair looks pretty and healthy in general. Why not rejoice a bit over this, while contemplating the perfect color? :cheer:

vanillabones
June 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
If it were me I'd get lowlight and start growing out natural. I love your natural color and it doesn't wash you out or make you look yellow, it's your natural color it was designed to go with you! :) I really like a light brown. If you really hate it though I don't know what to suggest, I think henna would be nice on you but you don't want red right now.... so maybe dye it all light brown your natural color until you want to henna?

Your roots are insane! It would take me 2 months to get roots like that when I bleached my hair. :) Congrats on fast growth... wow looks like you could easily grow an inch a month :P *jealous*

monsterna
June 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
To be honest, natural looks best.

Dark Rosaleen
June 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I gotta say that I really like your natural hair color. It doesn't wash you out and it's a really pretty shade of light brown.

Having said that, I think you could pull off the two toned look though, or a red might be nice.

xoxophelia
June 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think your natural is pretty also. If you want it though to be more towards blonde, you could get highlights mostly towards the front and not a lot of them. Also keep it much more subtle so it is golden but a very dark blonde. That will put in more of the "blondette" range but will be far less upkeep.

Rocket22
June 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I second, third, fourth the natural hair looks great!!! I would maybe put some low light in there and just grow it out. I'm also doing the ombre look and have been a bleach blond my entire life!!!! I am loving the look ( finally no more bleach) the longer my roots gets the more natual it looks. It's always a little hard at first but the longer your roots get the more I think it looks like it was meant to be like that, and not that you just forgot to go to the hairdresser :) but you will have to tone down the blonde to make it look more natural but I think it will look great on you!

ladyfey
June 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I agree, I love the natural color! It looks really good on you, and it is sooo much easier!

kyandii
June 25th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm now seriously comsidering the ombre look.

EricaLee83
June 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You have a gorgeous face, you could pull off any of the looks! I'm personally a fan of your natural color too. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Arya
June 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'll chime in on the natural hair. I think it suits your skin colour beautifully. The blonde sort of..makes your skin look a bit sallow/ashen, while the natural colour makes you look a bit more earthy. I'm not saying blonde doesn't work for you, I just think this shade of blonde doesn't work for you.

Autumn
June 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I also prefer your natural color- plus, less damage if you don't dye it. You might try henna.

ooo
June 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The blonde does make your skin look pinker.

Low lights or the ombre look seem easy too achieve.

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I also think your natural colour suits you best:) You could try some high and low lights in honey and carmel to tone down your light blonde and blend in with your natural colour:D

jojo
June 25th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I prefer your natural colour to be honest, the blonde is nice but looks a bit washed out on you. A chocolate brown or auburn would look nice with your colouring.

your colouring is very similar to mine, my natural colour is more a dark blond but has the red hues as yours does, red looks nice on me and id bet it would on you too, but a more browny red than the photo shown as this again would wash your features out. your skin is beautiful x

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I love your natural colour - it's such a warm pretty shade with your skintone, and it really makes your eyes 'pop'.

Incidentally, that's some impressive regrowth for 12 days! You'll be at waist in no time with a growth rate like that. :)

Joliebaby
June 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I feel you, I have the same dilemma, though I'm not a bleach blonde. I've been growing out my natural color for nearly a year now.

Anyway, I agree that the darker color in the two pictures looks much better and goes better with your skin tone. You could do dark blonde-caramel low lights to blend it, or tone the whole shebang closer to your natural color.

bunzfan
June 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I to love your natural colour it's not dark at all:)

Maverick494
June 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I also used to hate my natural colour when I was a bottle blonde. I would touch up my roots every 3 weeks because you could tell the difference so fast. I tried to grow my hair as a bottle blonde, with little success. I had a lot of breakage from the bleaching and for every inch of growth on top I had an inch of dead and split ends below.

There are some people who can get away with bleaching their hair and keeping it long, but that's either because
1. They have strong hair.
2. Their natural haircolour is only one or 2 shades darker than the dyed colour.

Most people however, don't belong in that category.

So I think you'll have to make a choice:
Either be a blonde or be a long hair. If you want to be both, you'll probably have to be twice as patient because you'll need more trims to keep the damage away and you'll have to baby your hair much more than someone growing out their natural haircolour.

Also, to me, your hair colour seems close to what this girl has:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MoonbeamShimmerBlitz#p/search/3/Xv4RcmVlbdc (It's a long vid, so you don't have to watch, but it illustrates better than a picture)
I think that it's a very pretty colour.

To be honest with you, it took me a very long time to accept my hair for what it is. I posted a couple of threads on hair colour. I wanted to try henna, indigo, well pretty much everything as long as it wasn't my natural dark ash blonde. When I went from blonde back to lightbrown, I still got a warm tone to it.

On monday 27th I'm going to get my hair dyed back to my natural colour and trim the damage off. It took me about 3 years to get from APL to waist, which is pretty slow progress if you ask me. If I hadn't bleached it I could be near a healthy TB length right now. I'll post pictures here on monday so you can see my results and I hope that may help you with your decision!

elbow chic
June 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I agree, I think your natural color is a lot more flattering than the blond. You have amazing growth besides!! Sheesh! lol

ifthemoonsmiled
June 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Just chiming in to say I also really like your natural color on you.

dulce
June 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I had long hair your colour when younger and I did thin blonde highlights/streaks.It gives the appearance of being blonde without the roots and constant upkeep and long term damage.

silverjen
June 25th, 2011, 01:50 PM
It seems to be unanimous. We all love your natural color! The mid-browns (don't have a better term) are rich and lovely and so varied. If I had your hair I'd go back to natural and consider adding a henna gloss--the subtle red overtone would be fabulous in sunlight.

You've got an awesome growth rate to boot. Lucky!

kyandii
June 25th, 2011, 02:38 PM
It seems to be unanimous. We all love your natural color! The mid-browns (don't have a better term) are rich and lovely and so varied. If I had your hair I'd go back to natural and consider adding a henna gloss--the subtle red overtone would be fabulous in sunlight.

You've got an awesome growth rate to boot. Lucky!

The henna gloss is a realyl good idea. I might give it a shot after I'm bored of the ombre look :D

Kherome
June 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm fed up of being bleach blonde. The upkeep is WAY more than I want, I wouldn't mind if it just needed doing once a month but this is my growth 12 days after getting my roots touched up http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7929&pictureid=104593

I think light colours suit me much much more than dark
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252452_10150150831417824_587952823_5909566_3801713 _n.jpg

this is my natural colour, so for the blury photo it's the best one I could find
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/47515_425886309271_555139271_5004623_664633_n.jpg

I don't like this colour at ALL. It makes my skin look really yellow and washed out.

My query now is what colour/shade can I go?
My dream is to be a waist length blonde but I don't think I can keep this up for that long.

I really like this style.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2350/nicolarobertsbeatofmydr.png
But I know I will never look that good with both colours. I'll probably just look like a hobo who can't afford bleach :(

I'd love a midnight blue but I think it'll be too dark.

I'd also like to go red but not at this moment because almost everyone here has red hair because of Cherly Cole & Rihanna, I would like to not blend in too much :laugh:

I'm an absolute NIGHTRMARE I know.
I feel really down about my hair at the moment

Actually the blond is what makes you look yellowed and washed out. Your natural color looks great on your skin tone, very pretty.

theodora
June 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
If you're interested in the henna gloss and what it looks like on bleached blond hair, feel free to ask any questions/ have a look at my henna gloss pics. I'm still going about it very carefully in order to avoid getting bright carrot orange hair!

spidermom
June 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I like the natural, too. Perhaps you could do a temporary color somewhere between your natural color and the bleached-blonde to do a better fade into the ombre look. Or like somebody said, get low-lights closer to your natural color to blend it all together.