PDA

View Full Version : Braiding

AshleyTheRed
June 25th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Do we have any hair braiders out there?

Now while I can not do many fancy braids myself my mom can.
She can do crown braids, french braids, and makes up little original things herself. She's even learning to braid with four at the moment. I'll post/take some pictures of her braids soon!

Here's a place to share your magnificent braids. :D

I couldn't find a thread like this, but if there is I apologize!

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I adore braids and have been braiding for many years. Here's a pic:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/11129Minibraidsbraided3.jpg

I'm self-taught and love the versatility of braiding!

RubyEmpress
June 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I finally taught myself how to french and dutch braid my hair and now I love to braid my hair! :)

PianoPlaye
June 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Now I've found TLHC, I'm more likely to wear a French braid than a plain plait & I'm experimenting (quietly) with updos for the skinny haired. Braiding is fun though!

TizrahRae
June 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I never have much luck with braiding.
I have a hair stylist friend who keeps giving me layers for "shape".
Layers don't work well with braids. : (

Curly Hermione
June 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I really want to learn how to braid my hair, it's so pretty and practical, but my hair's curly and only just about shoulderlength so it might be a bit tricky. Would it work on my hair? Anyway, I suppose i just need to wait for it to grow. Fingers crossed!

Peggy E.
June 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, having layers and having curly shorter hair does make it more difficult - your hair has to be longer to do the braid styles, but not all of them.

You can pull off a French braid with curls and then just tuck up the bottom and it looks tres elegant! ;o)

I love braids and wear them a lot, but always in some form of up-do, not with the braid hanging. I worked for the longest time to obtain the french braiding skill and I now use this braid a lot.

Also love to do a Topsy Tail pull-through, do some form of braid, then wrap it around into a cool bun - looks wonderful with the hair combs!

I've got a french twist into top twisted bun today, or I'd take a pic - one of the rare times I don't have some form of braid!

gthlvrmx
June 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I love braiding! I can do the individual braids pretty darn fast, which are just english braids at a smaller size all over the head. Those are always fun :)

I need to learn how to braid neater french and dutch braids on peoples heads-not on me! I cause damage when i try.

AshleyTheRed
June 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM
My mom is self taught as well. I can only do a few different braids, and I'm better on other people. I can't french braid my own hair.
:p
The most common one I wear is a french braid that ends in a bun. Either held by a scrunchy or clip. Which I guess is the same thing @Peggy E.

@ Madora- My mom can't do braids like that. Your braiding skills are magic! :magic:

Mrspuddinhead
June 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Well, I can do Dutch braids, English braids, fishtail braids. I'm attempting to learn French and it is a utter mess. I tried to do a French fishtail yesterday and it was a complete and utter fail.....Though I've very persistent and shall not give up.

Here is my Dutch, Heidi, and fishtail.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2hq5qoj.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2m2hsif.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zmec0o.jpg

mustpannkook
June 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Ooh, I love braids! Up to five strands I have no problems, 6 and more are a bit trickier. I usually wear mine in an English braid, but I like making 4 or 5-strand ones occasionally.

Confessor
June 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
My friends always want me to braid their hair because I know how to do all the "crazy ones". My favorite are the herringbone braids.

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Here is my most favorite braid that I did all by myself for my son's wedding in November. :inlove:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0580.jpg

AshleyTheRed
June 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
That is so beautiful Xandergrammy! :)

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM
@Xandergrammy...That is one very IMPRESSIVE braid! ! !

@AshleytheRed...

Oh, I betcha, your mom can do my braid! Here are the directions:

1) Detangle hair thoroughly
2) Comb back hair so that it falls down your back
3) Take a thin section of hair from above your ear, comb it out,
then braid it loosely. Fasten end with hair friendly elastic band
4) Repeat on other side

5) Bring all hair - and each of the braids - into a ponytail.
6) Secure with a hair scrunchie.

7) Undo the braids caught BELOW the ponytail. Now all you have in that ponytail is loose, long, thoroughly detangled hair.

8) Now, divide all the ponytail hair into 9 sections.

9) Braid each of the 9 sections. You now have 9 mini braids

10) Take 3 of the braids in your RIGHT hand. Cross them
over the 3 center braids.

11) Take 3 of the braids in your LEFT hand. Cross them over the 3 center braids.

12) Keep on braiding the braids down to the end.

IMPORTANT! Hold the braids in your hand so they are FLAT, sitting next to each other if posssible. Do not braid tightly!

13) Fasten off braid with hair friendly elastic.

In the picture, what I did was cheat a bit. I braided the nine braids about 3/4s of the way down. I ponytailed the hair at the 3/4 point, did a very loose English braid, removed the ponytail holder, then fastened the end of the English braid with a hair friendly elastic.

Then I took the entire braid and folded it - right at the 3/4 mark.
The English part of the braid was underneath the multi braids, and then fastened under neath the hair toy.

I hope this helps!

jennydaesy
June 27th, 2011, 04:21 AM
my daughter wants to get her hair braided from me nearly every day

AshleyTheRed
July 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
@Xandergrammy...That is one very IMPRESSIVE braid! ! !

@AshleytheRed...

Oh, I betcha, your mom can do my braid! Here are the directions:

1) Detangle hair thoroughly
2) Comb back hair so that it falls down your back
3) Take a thin section of hair from above your ear, comb it out,
then braid it loosely. Fasten end with hair friendly elastic band
4) Repeat on other side

5) Bring all hair - and each of the braids - into a ponytail.
6) Secure with a hair scrunchie.

7) Undo the braids caught BELOW the ponytail. Now all you have in that ponytail is loose, long, thoroughly detangled hair.

8) Now, divide all the ponytail hair into 9 sections.

9) Braid each of the 9 sections. You now have 9 mini braids

10) Take 3 of the braids in your RIGHT hand. Cross them
over the 3 center braids.

11) Take 3 of the braids in your LEFT hand. Cross them over the 3 center braids.

12) Keep on braiding the braids down to the end.

IMPORTANT! Hold the braids in your hand so they are FLAT, sitting next to each other if posssible. Do not braid tightly!

13) Fasten off braid with hair friendly elastic.

In the picture, what I did was cheat a bit. I braided the nine braids about 3/4s of the way down. I ponytailed the hair at the 3/4 point, did a very loose English braid, removed the ponytail holder, then fastened the end of the English braid with a hair friendly elastic.

Then I took the entire braid and folded it - right at the 3/4 mark.
The English part of the braid was underneath the multi braids, and then fastened under neath the hair toy.

I hope this helps!

The first try was a fail, but we will try again soon! :D

chahuahuas
July 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I can french braid okay, but I tend to have problems with my curls tangling together when I braid. It really sucks, because it's difficult to pull out a tangle when I have on hand keeping the three strands together... and it makes my arms tired since it happens fairly often.

MasCat
July 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I totally adore braiding! I can do english, french, dutch. I was very inspired by the dreamweaver braiding website, and now I braid my hair in more creative style when I have a concert - braids combined from braids, accent braids, halfups... Love them all.

I like to add a scarf or ribbons to my braids for the colour and volume :)

I like to braid a little accent braid with ribbons and just wear my hair down. And when I put my hair up in a ponytail - just use this braid to hide the elastic... or braid my hair into an english braid, the little braid included :)