PDA

View Full Version : Older women with waist or longer hair?

Cardinal
June 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM
How many of you ladies are 40+, and have waist length or longer hair, and plan to stay that way?
I am 54, and have TB hair. I had been planning on chopping it, but this forum has changed my mind.
Currently, I am still coloring it, as it is silver/white, and I have been coloring auburn, so it would look terrible growing it out natural.
I do plan on switching to henna.

What I really need to know is, am I in the minority with long hair at my age, and wanting to keep it that way?
(I'm feeling some pressure from peers at work to chop)

Madora
June 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
There are ladies here - past 50 - who have gorgeous long hair and want to keep it that way.

I've had long hair for nearly 50 years and have no plans to cut it for a while.

Here is a pic taken last May:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/57114343inches.jpg

JadeTigress
June 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
If you love your hair, don't feel like you need to cut it off just because some people think you're too old for long hair. They're just jealous. :p I think long hair looks beautiful on older women.

I can't speak for myself, because I'm not at that age yet, but as of right now I don't ever plan on having short hair again. I've experienced it once, and that was more than enough. So once my hair grows back to it's former glory, I'll be a longhair until the day I die.

But my mom's in her early 50's, and she's been growing her hair back out. It's currently at waist length (she still colors hers, too). And she doesn't have any intention of cutting it.

Cardinal
June 24th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Wow. That is inspiring. Thanks for posting the pic.

Mesmerise
June 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
How many of you ladies are 40+, and have waist length or longer hair, and plan to stay that way?
I am 54, and have TB hair. I had been planning on chopping it, but this forum has changed my mind.
Currently, I am still coloring it, as it is silver/white, and I have been coloring auburn, so it would look terrible growing it out natural.

What I really need to know is, am I in the minority with long hair at my age, and wanting to keep it that way?

I am not yet over 40, but have no intention of cutting when I AM over 40! Heck, I'm not even at goal yet ;).

I think it's dreadful that there's still peer pressure when people are in their 50s :rolleyes:. For me, any peer pressure to do one thing, generally prompts me to go in the opposite direction though!

Ignore the haters who say you should cut! I know older women with long hair, and I know older women with short hair. It shouldn't matter!! Its YOUR hair and it needs to make YOU happy. You should keep your long hair until you really, really don't want it anymore... but that's for YOU and not for what other people may think. Who cares if other people don't like it? You're the one who has to live with your hair, so live with the hair YOU love!

Djinmonet
June 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I am not yet over 40 either, but I am not planning on cutting my hair. If I do decide I don't like a salt and pepper look, and I go for a henna/indigo dye, I wouldn't cut that really, either, when I go full silver/white, and stop dying it. I will just have interesting colors in my styles, until normal trimming cut out the dye.
Long hair looks so much more amazing on an older woman, in my eye, than any other style. What is more elegant, some short, fried perm, or an updo made out of silver?

Charlotte
June 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm 45 and this is the longest my hair has ever been. I have been at bra strap level many times in the past but didn't know how to dress it up before I came here. I simply love all the different ways you can style long hair and make it look so elegant. Don't cut your hair if you don't want to. :blossom:

spidermom
June 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Born while dinosaurs still walked the earth; no plans to cut.

luckyduck
June 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I am a solid 55 years old, and I am passed hip and on my way to at least classic! I must add however that the only time my hair is loose is when it is drying, or sometimes for sleeping, so very few people know how long it really is. Some mystery is nice, don't you think!

C.H.
June 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am a solid 55 years old, and I am passed hip and on my way to at least classic! I must add however that the only time my hair is loose is when it is drying, or sometimes for sleeping, so very few people know how long it really is. Some mystery is nice, don't you think!

I personally love the mystery of having long hair kept in a suggestively full and pretty updo, yet rarely seen loose.

dulce
June 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I am 59[ with waist length silver streaked light brown hair]and at the women's gym I went to ,one also older lady, particularly gave me a hard time,saying to everyone who'd listen to her[in front of me] that I was trying to be a teenager.She had super short dyed permed hair and continually gave me dirty looks.I ignored her.Sadly the majority of older women seem to cut their hair short.On walks ,from behind ,sometimes I can't tell which if it is a man or woman due to the short masculine hair cut. But to each their own,if you like long hair do what makes you happy! Maybe if enough of us oldsters grow long hair it will become more mainstream,accepted and admired.I intend to stay long.

Slinks
June 24th, 2011, 11:55 PM
46 here :-) and growing for the first time ever .. always kept my hair between shoulder and bra strap and the plus, I'm going el natural, I have not dyed my hair in 16 years ...

nellreno
June 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM
While I'm not yet at that age, I plan on having long hair when I'm 50+ too, unless for some reason I'm physically unable to take care of it. I think it's ridiculous that there's some rule that every woman older than a certain age has to cut their hair short. If you want short hair, that's different. No one should be forced to cut their hair just because they're "too old"

My mom is 62, and while her hair isn't that long by LHC standards, she has gotten some comments because her hair is about APL length and she doesn't plan on cutting it any shorter.

Malibu Barbie
June 25th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I'm over 40 and have no intentions of cutting anytime soon:)

whitestiletto
June 25th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I'm just a youngin but I want to have long hair for the rest of my life. I think we should respect our elders, especially mothers and grandmothers for being the creative life-giving force for everyone, and hair is just another creation of our lives. Sorry I sound like a new-age hippie trying to culturally appropriate native american culture or something, it's hard to express in words and I'm too lazy to write an actual essay, but basically - long hair represents feminine power to me (and I think to a lot of people) and older women have just as much a right to that, if not more than someone my age.

And I want to share these really beautiful pictures of Surya Puja in India... This is a family festival that honors the oldest female of the family. Her hair is quite long, sorry it doesn't show better in the photos.

Her son helping her make the offering to the river at sunrise (both representing life of course)
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262601_208570292519104_100000984034806_573612_5771 887_n.jpg

Here she sits with a bunch of food that anyone in the village can come up and take if they are hungry.. symbolic of how she gives life :)
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/260100_208569992519134_100000984034806_573606_3041 74_n.jpg

BlazingHeart
June 25th, 2011, 01:55 AM
My grandmother (who is in her early 80s) had short hair for most of my life, then let it grow longer in the last three or four years. I don't know how long it is, because she always has it up and it's thin enough that I have trouble estimating how much hair she has, but at a guess it's probably mid-back on her.

IanB
June 25th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Don't forget us older men with long hair too - and why not? :)

EbonyCurls
June 25th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Madora, I am so envious! Your hair is stunning!

Regarding the topic, I think longer hair on older women looks even better than longer hair on younger women! It's just that much more unique, and I love how you can see the hair's past if it's natural. All the different colors and textures.

In fact I intend to keep my hair longer, the older I get.

Vani1902
June 25th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I am 59[ with waist length silver streaked light brown hair]and at the women's gym I went to ,one also older lady, particularly gave me a hard time,saying to everyone who'd listen to her[in front of me] that I was trying to be a teenager.She had super short dyed permed hair and continually gave me dirty looks.I ignored her.Sadly the majority of older women seem to cut their hair short.On walks ,from behind ,sometimes I can't tell which if it is a man or woman due to the short masculine hair cut. But to each their own,if you like long hair do what makes you happy! Maybe if enough of us oldsters grow long hair it will become more mainstream,accepted and admired.I intend to stay long.
She was probably just envious of your hair. I know I am. :)

Yosha
June 25th, 2011, 03:50 AM
41 and no intention of cutting it back (it's at classic right now). When I was in my 20's I thought I'd be cutting back to shoulder when I got 30, but it gave me nightmares just to think about that. It was probably peer pressure that made me think of cutting at 30 :mad:.

Your hair is so beautiful Madora, a great inspiration!

BohoClassic
June 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Im 45 and my hair is collarbone length after having it cut back from waist length due to peroxide damage. I am growing it back to waistlength and hopefully on to classic. After finding the LHC my hair is now in the best condition of its life! I henna gloss my roots every 3 weeks as although i like grey hair on other people its not for me and i cant see myself ever not putting henna on it,although i intend to use a lighter colour mix as i get older,and i have always said that i was never going to be one of those old ladies with short permed hair! Updo`s at that age are so more elegant.

BohoClassic
June 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
There are ladies here - past 50 - who have gorgeous long hair and want to keep it that way.

Madora....beautiful,just beautiful hair! Have you documented your haircare regime on LHC? Do you colour your hair or not?

sugar&nutmeg
June 25th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I'm 57, and foolishly cut my almost-waist hair back to just below shoulder last fall. Even that was still considered 'long' around here...especially, you know, 'for my age'.

I'm now ~APL and re-growing to waist. After that, we'll see.
The only reason I'd cut my hair short would be if I became unable to care for it myself.

Madora, let me add my thanks for the gorgeous inspirational photo!

skyblue
June 25th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I'm 51 and have TBL hair hoping to reach finger tip someday!
Your age has nothing to do with your hair don't worry about what
others say

ladyfey
June 25th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I'll be 40 this year and my hair is at knee, no plans to cut. I remember seeing a distant family member at a reunion years ago, she was probably about 80 and she had beautiful hip length silver and gray hair. My mother was horrified "she's trying to look like a teenager!" I have never understood that, why is having long hair trying to look young? I don't think so. Keep it if you want it! Listen to Rick Nelson: "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

embee
June 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I'm over 60 and my hair has been long now for some 20 years....

People often comment on the strangest things - like how complex the bun is, when it's a simple thing held with one stick only! Love the toys, the updo styles, the challenges.

Many folks say "Oh, my grandma used to wear her hair like that!" and they do not mean it negatively at all, it's a good memory for them and *I* reminded them with my hair.

I do not color my hair and would not color, too much trouble for me altogether! It's brownish with some grey/silver/white streaks/strands, thin and straight. 'Twould be thin and straight short too, and I already know how ugly that is on me! ;) Did a short perm once and it was even worse!

Ignore peer pressure, be strong! It puzzles me why this is ever a battle, whose business is it, after all?

(Madora, your hair is lovely!)

vanity_acefake
June 25th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I'm 39 this year. My hair is almost at waist (so so close!) and I fully intend to let it grow to see how long it will get. I want to be one of those old ladies with long, long, silvery hair that makes the grandchildren gasp with delight when I let it down for them to see.
Stuff what anyone else thinks.
I fully intend to grow old disgracefully.
:)

homeeduk8tor
June 25th, 2011, 06:34 AM
40 here and at mid-back length. This is the longest my hair has ever been in my life. I fully intend to grow it longer without any regard to my age. I , too, agree that long hair on older ladies is unique and beautiful. I say, ignore the critics and be happy with your hair any way you chose it to be.

IanB
June 25th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Long is looks fabulous on women - and indeed men whatever the age :)

Scarlet_Heart
June 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'm sure social pressure has something to do with it, but it probably has a lot to do with decreased mobility/dexterity too. Arthritis and such; I would think it gets harder to take care of it, braid it, etc. Obviously not at 40 or 50 but older than 60, I would think that could be a problem for some folks. My grandmother developed arthritis pretty early, like 60 or so.

Fairlight63
June 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I am 66 & my hair is a little past waist length. My hair is white-gray. I usually wear it up. Sometimes I will wear it in a braid. I do not want to color my hair, I want to have long & healthy hair.
I like what someone else said above "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".

islandboo
June 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Mid 40s and waist here. I intend to keep it long forever (with the caveat that if it should get too insanely thin I might shave it all). I tend to be unconventional in my dress and actions so I haven't got the "trying to be a teenager" comments, just a general acceptance that I am a bit odd, LOL.

Peggy E.
June 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Hey, watch it there, spidermom - I'm older than you; in fact, so much older I've forgotten the dinosaurs! Blast that old age dementia, anyway.... :o(

Dear Op - My hair is past tb and I have no plans to cut it. Heck, I don't even trim it, since a trimming disaster cost me several inches (self-trimming, couldn't get it even, would rather remember the dinosaurs....)

Wear your hair the length YOU want. If it's growing on your head, it's yours and you should be able to enjoy it, not worry about what other small-minded people, lacking in imagination, creativity and appreciation of the beauty of self-expression, think. Absolutely don't let them make you feel less than wonderful about your decision - not only with hair, but in all aspects of your life.

I love my long, silvery-snow-bright hair. Maybe some day I will be in the position of someone cutting it, but it won't be my decision and I'll fight it all the way!

Welcome to you and enjoy the community!

jasper
June 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I am 43. I don't get pressured to cut my hair, which is longer than waist length, but it is usually in a bun with a funky hair toy. In my community and workplace, long hair is not unusual, but hair sticks or forks are.
I have a "friend" who was pointing out pictures of short hair cut as suggestions for me earlier this summer, but I don't count that as pressure because she's always giving her unsolicited opinion about my clothes and physical appearance, so why shouldn't she add my hair to her list? It is usually easy for me to ignore her and/or tell her to get off my case.

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Thank you, ebony curls, Yosha and Embee!

Spidermom...you're young yet! I'm an antideluvian..or a Devonian, at least!:)

Boho Classic..No, I've never documented my haircare regime here. I'm hoping to start a blog..in a few months about just that, plus braiding suggestions. I've never colored my hair. My silvers were hard earned! I love my "sparklies"!

Scarlet Heart -- your post really hit the mark! Dexterity and decreased hand function sure can lower the boom as you age.

I've just been diagnosed with a rare connective tissue auto immune disease - schleroderma. It affects all of your body - in some manner - over time. At present, several of my fingers, especially the first (top) joint on each pinkie, are turned toward their neighbor -- bent -- and will probably get worse with time. Ditto, all the other fingers. But I'm keepin' my hair long until caring for it at that length isn't practical any longer..which I hope is still a few years away.

GoatLady
June 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I am 54, and have TB hair...

I am 52 and plan on growing my hair, as long as it will get, and leaving it there for the remainder of my life. I dye it with henna, touching up my roots once a month.

At 54 do you really care what other people think? It's your life and your hair. Do what YOU want. ;)

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm 55 and started growing my hair again when I was 40. I have no plans on cutting and I also gave up dyeing 5 years ago. FINALLY, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my hair. It makes ME happy! :joy: Here's my most recent hair picture- (P.S.- I would give one of my back molars to be all gray/white/silver)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0058480x640.jpg

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2011, 08:42 AM

:rollin: at spidermom! Me too!!!

princessp
June 25th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Xander and Madora beautiful hair! I'm 38 so I guess my hip/almost TB hair doesn't count just yet, but I'm getting close.

Delila
June 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'm nearly fifty, no plans to chop, ever. If I lived near a salon that was seriously long-hair-friendly, I'd go in for a consultation and take their advice about shaping my hair, but otherwise, plan to just keep trimming on my own.

I don't dye my hair either. The maintenance of the thing is just too much trouble, and in my early-thirties-freaked-out-at-my-first-grays stage, I dyed for a while. Never found a color I really liked, and found the whole process a huge nuisance, even more expensive when done in a salon. Not for me.

For whatever reason, my sister went gray fairly early, but all I've got is some smallish streaks of silver at the sides, so far. When/if my hair goes gray, I do hope it turns her shades, it's quite pretty.

I've just been diagnosed with a rare connective tissue auto immune disease - schleroderma. It affects all of your body - in some manner - over time. ...

Madora, this is terrible news, but I do hope things continue progressing very slowly. :bigeyes:

honeyblonde
June 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Over 40 here!! In Bible times older women had long hair!! Older women were NOT running around with the "poodle do" back then!! :scissors:

PianoPlaye
June 25th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Madora - I adore your hair & am very sorry to hear your hands are becoming somewhat uncooperative. All good wishes.
Me, I'm not yet eyeballing 50, but be switched if I cut my hair for anyone's opinion. I've only just found TLHC - and already feeling better if not longer. While my hands & arms & shoulders etc will cooperate, I'm going on growing.

Zesty
June 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
My grandmother has fairly long hair for her age (70-something). I guess it's probably APL-ish, though she never has it down. It's pretty thin and she dyes it red to cover the grays, but I think it looks nicer (very soft and pretty) when she has it in an updo than the very short cut a lot of older women default to.

dragonmyst
June 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
My grandmother stopped cutting her hair when I was a preteen and by the time she passed away her hair was classic length (a gorgeous silver color too). She said she'd rather look like a hippie than a cotton ball.

how long you have your hair is YOUR business, grow it out as long as you want it. Besides you have many more style options with long hair than with short. Just sayin...

angelthadiva
June 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Not quite 40 yet, but I did do a recent cut from Classic to TBL not from outside pressure, but to even up my hemline. I stopped coloring a little over 2.5 years ago and am in transition. I love my silver sparklies :)

Djinmonet
June 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
A long standing plan is if my mother is ever infirmed enough to the point she can no longer take care of herself, that I would care for her hair and grow it long. She has always proclaimed her course, curly hair can't look nice long (she uses a brush, so all the strands are messed up) so the deal was, if I cared for her, I could prove her wrong.

We are both concerned at this point in my life that I wouldn't be able to care for her, but I think with enough hired help, I could at least be the one handling her hair. Even my dad wants to see how her hair is long. So, for those who have relatives or friends who don't want to see your hair sacrificed, infirmity doesn't always need to equal hair loss. :)

jojo
June 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am 42 and look much older and uglier (or feel it) with short hair, my plan is to grow it so long, my hair will need its own attached coffin to fit it in! :D

I really don't care what people think about how "weird" long hair is on older people IRL, as long as I like it I am growing it!

Firefly
June 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
42 here with waist length, going for hip or TB. I plan to keep it that way (if not longer) for the rest of my days. I anxiously away the arrival of my silvers ... I really love long silver hair!

akuamoonmaui
June 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM
My grandmother stopped cutting her hair when I was a preteen and by the time she passed away her hair was classic length (a gorgeous silver color too). She said she'd rather look like a hippie than a cotton ball.

Perfect! :spitting:

I've just turned 43 and my hair is about an inch to waist. My goal is to keep it between waist and TB. Having longer hair "at this age" means a few things to me ~

My understanding of spirituality and the natural way of things
A nod to tradition - older ladies with long hair seemed to have such grace and beauty, who doesn't want that?
Defying convention, I've never been one to live in the box.
I feel prettier with longer hair. Long hair is very feminine and for my face shape, I think it is one of the more attractive style for me (thank goodness!)
And ditto with the mystery.

dulce
June 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM
MADORA-Peggy Cappy has a great yoga/rehab dvd"yoga for arthritis" with wonderful hand and finger stretches / exercises[chaptered] and all over bodystretches/ exercises to reduce pain and increase mobility.I also have arthritis in my hands,neck,spine,shoulders, and 1 knee and it keeps me mobile and painfree.It is available at her website or on amazon and ebay.Hope it can help you.

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Xander and Madora beautiful hair! I'm 38 so I guess my hip/almost TB hair doesn't count just yet, but I'm getting close.

Thank you, princessp!! And you and your hair do so count! It's all about intentions and you don't intend to cut your hair when you turn 40, right?

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Oh this is so awesome! I intend to borrow your grandmother's line whenever I need it! :gabigrin:

RuLueashk
June 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I didn't really begin growing my hair out until 50. Now it's at "can I call this waist" (much longer than it's ever been) and I'm loving it & have no plans to stop here.

Cowgirl16
June 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I am 49 and I have classic length hair. God and health willing, I intend to have long hair for the rest of my life.:cool:

dulce
June 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi CHARLOTTE-I still cannot post in my album[keep getting "your message is too short"] no matter what length I try, to post comments . That message square keeps popping up ,so I couldn't answer your question there.Hope it's ok if I answer here.Lucy is a 12 year old mulloccan cockatoo{white with peach / white head feathers] And while I'm at it,thankyou to all who left comments on my album.Sorry I can't reply still.

Mebo
June 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm 57 now and my hair is tailbone length... 40+ inches. I don't plan on cutting, and I don't care what anyone says about my hair that's derogatory.

I love it, my DH loves it, and my grandkids think it's cool. So do the judges I practice in front of, on the rare court day that I leave it down.

Rocket22
June 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'm over 40 and will probably have the longest hair (naturally) then I have ever had in my life. I think it will look great and will actually make me look younger? I have had people tell me they think I look better as I've gotten older? don't know if I completely agree but hey I'll take it.

I did get a great compliment the other day from a friend that said she thought my hair looked the best she has ever seen it, that was really nice considering I have done nothing but LHC stuff.. No stylist in a year, no bleach, no heat curling no extension, (very little anyways) nothing! so that was pretty big for me.

angleofdeth
June 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I turned the big 5-0 this year. I have mid-thigh length hair with no intention of cutting. And I don't dye my hair to cover the grey. I am looking forward to a long, silvery white braid. : )

It's a shame that more don't march to their own drummer. : )

silverjen
June 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM
The great thing about getting older is that you don't have to give a ****** what other people think. I turned 40 this year (despite what my profile says) and I LOVE it!

Separately, I wanted to share a memory with you all. When I was a child my extended family would go on camping trips together. My grandmother wore her hair in a cinnabun 99.99% of the time, and in fact I had never seen it down. One night she took it down to comb it out, and wow! It was hip length, a river of silver and white and grey and black. I had never seen anything like it. It's one of my stronger memories of her.

EtherealOde
June 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I am 52, and up until a week ago my hair was on the longer side at 29 inches, just slightly above my waist. Maybe not so long by the standards of this crowd, but by the general population it was. :) I didn't cut it to have short hair though, I cut it to remove dye and bleach danage and color. One of the changes I made in my life was to embrace my greys and stop with the coloring routine. I knew if I kept it up I would never have the hair I really wanted, so in September of last year I gave it up for good! And I let it grow out in its natural colors.

Finally though, my roots had gained enough length that I felt I could lose my length in my quest for healthier hair. So a quick trip to a salon, and in a matter of minutes just over a foot of length was gone. But the remaining hair feels so soft and wonderful, and I can finally see how my mair might look when it gets long again. I can hardly wait until the length is back, and more besides.

My goal is classic, but I still have no idea if I can actually reach it, and won't know until I either reach a shorter than classic terminal length, or until I finally reach my hoped for goal. Who knows, I may grow it longer if I am able, just to see how long my hair really can grow at least one time in my life. I asked my husband last night if he would help me care for my hair if there ever came a time when I was no longer able to do so on my own. "Of course I would" he said and smiled at me. He knows how much it would mean to me.

In my life I have mainly lived for others rather than myself. I had children to care for, a job to do, a house to keep. One of the very few selfish pleasures I have granted myself is my hair. I really don't care what others think I should do with it. It is mine to indulge in, and I feel no guilt over that. We all have the right to indulge in a thing that makes us happy, for ourselves alone and not for anyone else. We owe no one an excuse or reason for our hair, it is what it is because that's the way we want it. My husband loves my hair, but that isn't why I grow it. I do it because it makes me happy. The fact that he also enjoys it just increases my happiness. To be honest, I really don't know if he loves it so much as he loves me, so he loves what I want for my sake. All I know is my hair makes me happy. And that's enough for me.

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Hi, everyone! Though I didn't start this thread, I want to thank all who posted! Very inspiring reading! Keep on growing, ladies!

@ sugar& nutmeg and princessp..thank you!

@ladyfey -- almost at knee -- Wow!!!

@Delila and PianoPlaye...I appreciate your kind words very much!

@Djinmonet.. I love your willingness to help your mom, should she become unable to care for her hair later in life.

Alas, "infirmity doesn't always need to equal hair loss" isn't always an option for many. Of course, if they have relatives as kind as you, then their prospects for keeping their long hair are much better. But not many people are so fortunate. I know my sister would bend over backward for me, if I was incapacited by my condition, but she knows absolutely nothing about long hair care and I wouldn't want to stress her out by asking her to deal with it (she tired easily because of a heart stent). All things change, over time, one must be realistic and practical...but if you can keep your loved one's long hair growing and manageable, more power to you!!!

@Dulce...Bless you, dear! I'm trottin' right over to check out the Peggy Cappy exercises and stretches!! Anything, to keep the turning of my fingers at bay a little longer!

Honestwitness
June 25th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'm 61 and my hair is just now reaching waist length. It has been growing very well since January, when I joined the "No Trimming in 2011" thread. I have also been remembering to take my calcium/vitamin D pills twice a day, which seems to be resulting in stronger nails and faster hair growth. I was at just-barely-BSL in January and didn't think I would reach waist until Christmas. But I'm there now.

I have never dyed my hair and I started turning gray in my mid thirties. I'm about 80 or 90 percent white now. Most of my shed hairs are white, but a few are brown. It always surprises me when I find a long brown one.

My white hairs are very porous, especially at the ends. They dry very fast after I wash my hair. Like within 5 minutes. I'm still trying to figure out a good routine to keep the ends looking good. Today, I did a CWC, towel dried, scrunched in some more conditioner, and then air dried. The ends look pretty good. I very rarely have any split ends. My hair is spider-silk fine and very floaty.

All you over-40, long-haired folks who have contributed to this thread are a huge inspiration to me. I'm so happy to have found this forum back in 2009, when I decided to grow my hair long. My goal was then, and still is, terminal. I visualize myself lying in my coffin (in at least 40 years) with long white hair cascading all around me and sprinkled with pink rose petals.

BohoClassic
June 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm 55 and started growing my hair again when I was 40. I have no plans on cutting and I also gave up dyeing 5 years ago. FINALLY, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my hair. It makes ME happy! :joy: Here's my most recent hair picture- (P.S.- I would give one of my back molars to be all gray/white/silver)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/Some%20more%20Xandergrammy/DSCN0058480x640.jpg
I love your hair!

princessp
June 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you, princessp!! And you and your hair do so count! It's all about intentions and you don't intend to cut your hair when you turn 40, right?

Haha, you are correct Xander I have no intentions of cutting. Thanks. So it seems at this rate of growth I should be classic length by 40! :)

rapunzelna
June 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm approaching 50 and have no intention of cutting my tailbone length hair. In fact, it wasn't until my late 30's that I started to grow it. I had hair as short as a pixie. I never got compliments on my hair from anyone other than my girlfriends when it was that short..now I seem to attract comments from a variety of places.

If I can, I'll even grow it longer.

lindaton
June 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
This topic came up on another message board last week. The thread title was 'women over 50 and hair past waist'. I mostly lurk there because they are not very nice ladies. I mean they will chew you up and spit you out and that is exactly what they did with me.

I posted a pic of my hair and got nothing but negative remarks. They said I looked like cousin it, was maybe from one of those goofy religions, unclean, it was just a conversation piece, probably had a dirty house, trying to relive my youth, would look so much better with a modern cut, etc.

Not one nice comment. Now I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion but everytime I leave the house it seems I get several compliments. So why would I want to be pressured into cutting. Sure it would look good and be a fresh change but then it would just be hair.

This is the longest mine has been. I was pressured into cutting it once and I will not cut it again until I am ready. No one ever says to a short haired person"when are you going to grow your hair out?"

Linda

Linda

Elenna
June 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Lindaton, those ladies seem to have a problem with long hair in general. I think that the LHC ladies & gents here are all on the same wavelength (pun intended) as you.

I'm glad for the support of hair forums, since growing out the dye with all the hassles of two-toned color, damage and how to treat silver hair was not easy. Plus this whole caring for and growing out process takes years.

GRU
June 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm 42yo and my hair is definitely longer than it's ever been in my life. Dry it's at waist, wet it's Butt Crack Length.

I have been trimming a few inches at a time, trying to get rid of the worst of my damage and even things up, but I have no intentions to actually *cut* my hair or stop trying to grow it longer.

My hair is HORRIBLY unmanageable when short, and I'm loving being able to wear it down OR wear it up as the mood strikes!

akuamoonmaui
June 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
This topic came up on another message board last week. The thread title was 'women over 50 and hair past waist'. I mostly lurk there because they are not very nice ladies. I mean they will chew you up and spit you out and that is exactly what they did with me.

I posted a pic of my hair and got nothing but negative remarks. They said I looked like cousin it, was maybe from one of those goofy religions, unclean, it was just a conversation piece, probably had a dirty house, trying to relive my youth, would look so much better with a modern cut, etc.

Not one nice comment. Now I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion but everytime I leave the house it seems I get several compliments. So why would I want to be pressured into cutting. Sure it would look good and be a fresh change but then it would just be hair.

This is the longest mine has been. I was pressured into cutting it once and I will not cut it again until I am ready. No one ever says to a short haired person"when are you going to grow your hair out?"

Linda

Linda

You stay right here. You'll never hear any of that from anyone. Good grief! Be glad you don't have to work with or be related to any of them!!

Cardinal
June 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I am truly overwhelmed at all the responses, and support. I am beginning to think that there is a lot of 'hair envy' out there, that masquerades as advice.
Madora, you bring up an interesting and important point about women and hair care as we age. So far, I do not seem to have health related issues, other than being overweight. I am working on that.
I am also incorporating a daily Tai Chi regimen to maintain my flexibility so that I can manage my hair.
I have always felt that my femininity is tied up with my hair. I am not ready to part with either one.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the stories and advice and encouragement you have all shared. (It may sound silly to y'all, but it has been very important to me, to find a group and a place to feel at home in)

As soon as I get my camera fixed and can post pics of my hair, I will.

PrincessBob
June 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM
My daddy is 51, he has waist length blackish brown hair. His hair has been about waist length for the past decade.
I'm 25, and my hair is *almost* classic

greygoth
June 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm 60, mostly gray, tailbone length wavy hair. It's longer than it's ever been in my life (thanks LHC!). i love it and plan to keep it this way. Some people like it, some people don't, but most people won't say, which is fine, since it's my hair.

sedonia
June 25th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I'm 45 (and don't consider myself "older", but the thread title said 40+) and my hair is longer than it is ever been.

I will *never* have a helmet hair or poodle doo. Never.

Also, anyone who makes disparaging remarks within my earshot about women being too old for long hair will get a verbal earful from me, and it won't be polite!

Scarlet_Heart
June 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Oooo xandergrammy... I am so in love with your hair. That's what I'm aiming for when I get older if I can ever kick the henna addiction.

dragonmyst
June 27th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Oh this is so awesome! I intend to borrow your grandmother's line whenever I need it! :gabigrin:

:D

Be my guest! She'd also refer call the short fluffy styles on older ladies as dandelion heads....

Which always makes me giggle. We'd go to the mall ad sit on a bench and she would count the dandelion heads that walked by.

I really wish I could have pointed her to this website, she would have enjoyed the humor here.

wendyg
June 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Plus one.

wg

QueenJoey
June 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
My mother is reaching her late 30's (not very old, but still...) she has this gorgeous dark brown, waist length hair. She's starting to get some silvers, and plucks them! I think they look amazing on her, though. They add more sparkle to her already very shiny hair. But what I love about them is how long they are. It's almost mystical

I think long hair on older women makes them look so wise. I don't know what it is, but it is very inspiring to me. Silver streaks add to the wow factor. And they don't look as cool on people my age.

pittsburgpam
June 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm 47 and I don't plan on cutting my hair. I'm a quiltmaker and I'll be the little old lady with the silver hair in braids wrapped around my head, selling my quilts. :scissors:

Islandgrrl
June 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm 50 and have no plans to ever cut my hair again. It gets the occasional maintenance trim, but that's it. It's mid-butt length now, but I don't have an up-to date picture.

ole gray mare
June 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'll be 48 next week, and I have waist plus silver hair. This is the longest it's ever been and I really love it. No way will I chop it, especially under pressure to do so.

mrs_coffee
June 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM
She said she'd rather look like a hippie than a cotton ball.

I love that! I'm 41 and growing. I was never allowed to have long hair when I was young, and then from age 10 through college I was a competitive swimmer, in the pool for hours every day which isn't conducive to long hair. When I turned 40 I decided to grow it out. I started with a pixie and am at shoulder length. I won't cut it until I'm happy with a length I want to maintain.

Mina_Harker
June 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
This is a great thread! I am going to show this to my mom. She is in her forties and after her hair thinned from some medication she was taking she cut it to just above shoulder length. Its grown out a bit since but she is not sure if she should keep it that way even though she loves her hair long. I know that this will make her want to grow her beautiful hair back!
Mina

Unzadi
June 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
44 and allllllllmost waist (was there, trimmed for health, waistward ho once more) and then beyond. Long hair feels right, and so it stays.

heidihug
June 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'm with Unzadi - long hair feels right on me. I don't intend on cutting it anytime in the foreseeable future.

Misti
June 27th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I could say something snarky, like "short hair is for children", but I won't, because I think dandelion heads have the right to choose how they want to look, too.

But I have no intentions to ever cut my hair. Trim, perhaps. If the length gets beyond what I can manage.

But I agree with all those who say that long hair looks more dignified as we age. I agree that long silky hair bespeaks power (male and female, in my opinion). I agree with those who say that long haor is simply less boring, because we have a million style options every single morning.

No, my long hair is here as long as I am.

Unzadi
June 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I think that by the time a person (of any gender) is of a certain age, they are old enough to decide how they want their hair and keep it that way without unwanted input from outside sources.

I've tried other lengths and different styles and nothing ever felt as right as long hair. The only way I see that changing is growing longer.

Tressie
June 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM

how long you have your hair is YOUR business, grow it out as long as you want it. Besides you have many more style options with long hair than with short. Just sayin...

You DGM sounds like she was my kind of woman! :D And she seems to have had a positive influence on you! :blossom: To be clear, if anyone wants to be a "cotton ball", I think that's perfectly fine too, btw! (o:

Old and long haired (knee length) here too! To be honest I truly enjoy the fact that I don't feel I HAVE to wear my hair like most of the other ladies, at or near my age, that I see and know. They may not compliment me on my updos, but I LIKE 'EM, and that's enough for me!

BlazingHeart
June 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
A lot of people have been saying that they would like to maintain long hair for as long as they can manage it. Due to a genetic condition, I have more disability in my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders than your average elderly woman - certainly more than either of my grandmothers had when they were 80. Managing long hair with some level of disability is a matter of getting creative. Hairbrush and comb extensions so you can reach the whole length of your hair, sometimes similar things to help shampoo the top of your head (depending on how your joints start being a problem), specialized reachers to manipulate the hair into updos, etc. Help from friends and partners is helpful, but it's not necessary for all people with disabilities (and honestly, if you have trouble reaching the top of your head, short hair is harder). What is really needed is a sense of adaptability and a willingness to learn new ways to do things. A occupational therapist can be very helpful.

~Blaze

CrisDee
June 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'll be 53 in August. I've had APL-BSL hair most of my life, except for 3 notable moments of insanity when I chopped it all off in moments of self/life hate, the most recent having come in March of 2009. I also started henna at that time, so I kept it short for 6 months to grow out the chemical dye (I'd dyed it red for 20+ years before that), so when I began regrowing in Sept. 09, it was all henna/cassia. I truly hope I've learned my lesson about taking out my frustration on my hair - not only did the situation not change, but I then hated my appearance along with my life - and I plan on keeping it long for the rest of my life. Somewhere around waist or hip sounds at this point like the longest I'll feel like dealing with, but I may change my mind when I get there.

All that being said, my only concern about the whole thing has been that I know at some point my long, lovely red hair simply won't match my aging face. I have already begun to switch my mix to 3 parts cassia/1 part henna to lighten it up, but at some point I will probably want to just say the heck with it and stop with color altogether. I do not look forward to the growing-out process (I've never been a fan of two-toned hair, plus it is against the appearance standards of my job), but at this point I want to enjoy having waist length henna'd hair for a few years before I make that decision! :)

irishlady
June 27th, 2011, 03:41 PM
My mother has beautiful curly red hair, has never dyed it ever, and if straightened it'd be about BSL.

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm 42 this year and don't plan on cutting my hair at the moment. I do get the grays colored as I prefer it that way, and it's my 1 pamper treatment :D

I'd love to grown my hair to my thighs, but I'm finding that it doesn't look so great to me at a certain length, and also, once it gets past tailbone, it's a problem with my riding/work--just a bit more care needed than I am willing to give. So, I stay between hip and tailbone and get trims when I feel the ends look too thin.

Hair, like anything else with our appearance is OUR choice--a website/message board/friends...no one can tell you what you should do with your own body/self. Hair is no more different than self expression than makeup, jewelry and clothing. I plan on doing what I want with how I look for the rest of my life, and just make faces at people who think they can tell me other wise :D :P

long&blonde
June 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM
56 and no plans to cut. Grazing hip length.
I get a salon to dye it a blonde that blends well w/my naturally white roots coming in. And I have blonde highlights over that. Results in I only have to get the color done about twice a year.
I loove the look of henna; but my roots being white;along w/my eyebrows:think blonde that blends is my safest bet. I wear it down the day I wash(once weekly).otherwise, single french braid or bun held up w/ficcare clip or hairstick.

Poppy Seed
June 27th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I don't qualify to comment (turning 30 later this year) but I thought I'd share:

My mum, who is about double my age, has been growing her hair out over the last 18 months. It was a pixie, and I think it's about on her shoulders now. The last time her hair was long was when I was about 7....

Hers is also natural colour so there are an increasing number of silver strands. It looks lovely.

justgreen
June 30th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Turning 55 this year . Hair is almost long enough to sit on. I plan to continue growing and bleaching (highlighting) the roots for as long as possible (until I die). :agree:

gothiccat
June 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I've just turned 49 with almost waist-length hair and no plans to cut it. I get compliments on it daily.

Do what YOU like, not what you think others will like.

amyhenna
June 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm 41, my hair is almost waist length, and I may trim it, but only an inch or two per year. I've had long hair all my life. Cutting it off would be like losing a limb. I don't give up limbs for no reason, and I'm not going to give up my hair :-)

MsBubbles
June 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
44 years old. Hair between waist & hip. Hoping to make tailbone with ends in tact. Glad to have company and inspiration of the over 40s here!

wantlonghair
June 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
i'm 56 and i'm growing my hair out as long as it will get, it is about BSL, but it is curly and frizzy and it is brown streaked with some white , i have no intention of coloring it or cutting it other than getting rid of splits. i see so many older ladies with the same kind of short hair, i hardly ever see older women with long hair, i think this is part of our western culture. and stylists trying to get women to keep their hair in certain styles. i intend to keep my hair the way i want not the way others think i should keep it. it is my hair and i need to be happy with it.

Tea Lady
June 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I just turned 53. I am at hip length. I started growing it out from BSL eight years ago. It was an older woman whose photos inspired me and lead me here. I love having long hair and I'm not worried about my age and people's disapproval. I figure I may have some people around me thinking negative thoughts, but I have always felt sort of outside of the norm anyway, so what does it matter?!

By the way, I love the affirming comments in this thread!

Tea Lady

MoonlightShadow
June 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
i kinda like seeing elderly people with long hair.....i think it kinda makes them look...wiser

khan
June 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I am 58 tomorrow :). I am as feminine at this age as any other. I love my almost tailbone length. I don't know why so many, I suppose, conform to short hair. I'm not trying to look 'young' or like a teenager. I don't need to. Been there, done that & I'm enjoying my venerable age. :eyebrows: Having long hair, and being a romantic is not exclusive to the under 30 group.

Madora
June 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
@Khan...

I like your style! Loved the last sentence in particular!

sycamoreboutiqu
July 1st, 2011, 12:28 AM
57 here - brushing hip length and plan to keep going just to see how far I can go.

Isn't it strange that long hair on older women is now considered "inappropriate" (by some people, but they can stuff it) whereas traditionally long hair was a given. Older women always had long hair kept in an updo, only seen down in the privacy of home.
Picture some of those old cowboy movies where the woman is disturbed by gunslingers after retiring for the night and she has the super long braid trailing down her white nightgown.

I remember my grandma's bun - it was small because her hair had thinned with age, but it was so classic. I want to be classic too into my old age - pun intended !

khan
July 1st, 2011, 01:50 AM
@Khan...

I like your style! Loved the last sentence in particular!

Thank You :bottomsup:

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I am a crazy goat lady and a starving artist. No plans to cut my silvering hair...ever!

dulce
July 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Cheers for old broads with long hair!![I'm one] I hope we can inspire others..

MaryRose
July 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
I went to the salon the other day and noticed 3 older ladies all sporting the pixie cut waiting for their monthly trim. I thought to myself about how they all looked the same. Then later in the week I saw another older woman with waist length hair and it was a head turner. She was pretty with her distinctive look. I don't see many older ladies with long hair but when I do, I am envious. You can decide to cut or keep your hair. I myself will be an older lady with WL beautiful hair spite what anyone says.

Schipperchow
July 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Who does the pressure to cut come from? Other women? Significant others? hairdressers? Consider the source and that they may have ulterior motives for wanting you to get rid of something that you value and treasure. Some women may not want the "competition" of a woman with longer hair around them or the reminder of what they have given up. Hairdressers want the money and repeat business. I was in my 30s when I decided to grow my hair to tbl. It is a form of self-care & feminine expression for me. As I get older (& hopefully wiser:p), this has become more important to me. Although I know that some feel more "pressured" by society to conform than others, as an adult, I am more concerned with living a life that pleases me & inspires others to be true to themselves than others who really don't value me or others.

Corvus
July 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm almost 50 with BSL hair, and have no intention of cutting it shorter. I intend to get to at least TBL and we'll see at that point........

GRU
July 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The first episode of the second season of "The Big C" (Showtime series) had the main character's brother (who is mentally ill, but still!) lambasting his sister (played by Laura Linney -- photo available here (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/review-showtimes-the-big-c)) for having hair "four inches too long for (her) age". WTF???? :rolleyes:

chahuahuas
July 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I personally love the mystery of having long hair kept in a suggestively full and pretty updo, yet rarely seen loose.

So true! I loved it when I saw one of my coworkers with her hair down for the first time. I had been working with her for months, and I hadn't realized her thick asian hair was to her hips, maybe longer! and she had pretty golden highlights as well, I thought she was so brave for putting those highlights in such long hair.

dragonette@1
July 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'm 53, and maintaining at bra strap length while trimming off old hair damaged from box dye. I have a friend who gives me a henna/cassia treatment every month, and my hair is shiny and much healthier than it has been for years! As soon as all the old damage is cut off, I plan on growing to my waist, at least. Eventually I"ll stop the henna/cassia, and let all my grey show. I love the way long hair makes me feel - feminine and sexy and very womanly. So wear your hair the way YOU want to, and ignore any ill-wishers. (They are probably just jealous!)

luluj
July 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Long and silver for me. It's all about attitude, confidence and being comfortable in your own skin.

csm--carla
July 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Who does the pressure to cut come from? Other women? Significant others? hairdressers? Consider the source and that they may have ulterior motives for wanting you to get rid of something that you value and treasure. Some women may not want the "competition" of a woman with longer hair around them or the reminder of what they have given up. Hairdressers want the money and repeat business. I was in my 30s when I decided to grow my hair to tbl. It is a form of self-care & feminine expression for me. As I get older (& hopefully wiser:p), this has become more important to me. Although I know that some feel more "pressured" by society to conform than others, as an adult, I am more concerned with living a life that pleases me & inspires others to be true to themselves than others who really don't value me or others.

Well said!!

Carla

jojo
July 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM

:laugh: ha ha you do make me giggle :laugh:

I am 42 with just past waist length and have no intentions of ever cutting shorter, been there and done that too many times. I prefer having long hair.

archel
July 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Well, I have different opinions on long hair on older women, since my family is Old Regular Baptist (a split-off from Freewill). I am not ORB, but my mother was, and she wore her hair SUPER long until she ended up with cancer and had to cut it short due to chemotherapy. The women in that church usually grow their hair long (they're not mandated to, it's just tradition) unless there's a reason they have to cut it off. The majority of the older ones still go and get it coiffed once every week or two and my sister and I have always called it the "pentacostal do." And it looks AMAZING! My oldest aunt and my grandmother wore these amazing fancy coiffed hair styles with super long hair every single day and slept with a cap on at night - it was not until my grandmother was ailing in her last years that I ever saw her with her hair down (or her teeth out, LOL) - and it was GORGEOUS and long and white.

I'm actually so glad that before my mother passed, I had hair to my waist. It made her happy :-D

So yeah, to me, long hair on older women is not only okay, it's elegant and well, fabulous.

Pumpkin
July 11th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am 43 this year and decided to grow my hair back out (after 9 years of wearing a pixie, due to peer pressure). I am so happy now that I am growing again. It is to my bra strap and I am headed toward waist. I feel more feminine and attractive. I guess the way I felt about myself when I had long hair in my 20's. LOL

I have stopped listening to others opinions on what I should be 'doing' with myself or my life. People will give you an opinion whether you ask for it or not. Mainly, the negativity some people give off can be attributed to jealousy and insecurity on their part. I just get away from those people as fast as I can!!

Long hair can be beautiful...no 'poodle do' for me. :)

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm 51. I have been thinking I need a trim, recently, but that's all. I might take it up to my knees. Maybe....it's hard to decide.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Long and silver for me. It's all about attitude, confidence and being comfortable in your own skin.

No one intimidates me when it comes to my hair and so much else about my life. I have been in the situation of friends climbing aboard for the big put-down and how men would like me more IF ONLY YOU X.

Really?

Never worked out for me. People of all sorts like my hair. I'm known in town in part because of my hair.

I'm proud of my hair and all my other accomplishments. I earned this. I worked hard for this.

Maybe you need some new friends?

heidi w.

Fizz
July 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I will be 42 in August, and have no plans to cut my hair, despite constant comments such as'you ought to give it to charity' etc. I like my hair.. it makes me feel feminine.. and it keeps my neck warm in the winter :)

Celtic Morla
July 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm 44 and decided to stop cutting my hair about 2 years ago then I found LHC and it has made it a lot easier! I have gotten it cut too many times because people told me I should or even worse gone to a slaon and come out with the typical Lady Di of the 80's! One time I had wasit length hair went for a "trim and came out with chin length hair. Cried about it went to the DR and he mentioned how cutting my hair made me look like I was getting better?!?!?! Hated her after that!

I have told people that I plan on seeing how long it will get and it is for me I am growing it. If I get mad at DH I wil not chop off my hair but do something mena to him instead!!LOL so he refrains from making me mad with dumb comments-I should hve done so years ago!!

Right now it's pretty close to waist and I love playing with it I just wish my girls would braid it the way i do theirs!!

Quetiepi
October 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I am 56 and have grown it to waist. Next goal is virgin hair to waist by age 60. I am so glad I found this old thread.
Old ladies rock, and not just in chairs.

jasper
October 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
43, hip length, no real plan to cut, but then again I didn't have a plan when I grew it long either.

AmericanWoman
October 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm almost 55 with hiip length hair. no plans to dye or cut. Not too much gray yet anyway.

Eboshi
October 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Way over thirty here. My hair is to my knees with the beginnings of "fairy-tales" and lots of tinsel making an appearance at my temples. I don't plan on cutting any time in the near or distant future.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I turned 40 and decided to grow to midback...it'll go to the grave with me.

archel
October 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm 40 and had long hair all through my 30's - currently re-growing it out with no box dye or heat styling so it can be healthy this time. Goal is classic, but may become longer once I'm there.

long&blonde
October 7th, 2011, 08:11 PM
57, with hair the longest it's ever been;Hips. People seem to appreciate the quirks that make you "you",more in your 50s. I've had many people compliment & urge me never to cut it, on both my own personal good,and bad,hair days. Note:this did NOT include salon stylists!! My current stylist (who made me snort! "Suggested"I cut off over a foot of hair!)I get color only. Asked her for "blonde that would blend w/my roots that come in silver white".she gave me the furthest from that you could picture,hooking me on regular root touchups,for a dark ashblonde.but I do like ashblonde,but prior to her,I was so near to transitioning to natural silver white.Seeing my own few inchs of white roots,how healthy & pretty they were..but;here I am. No plans to cut tho! Do plan a talk w/the stylist one day,me & her matching hairdye swatchs to one that looks like silver roots coming in!

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think older women with long hair look extremely beautiful. And it also has surprised me how much I admire long silver/white hair on older women.

long&blonde
October 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
What a great goal: virgin hair by 60! Love your thinking. :)

Aliped
October 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I am not yet over 40, but have no intention of cutting when I AM over 40!

The only way age has influenced my hair decisions was to delay using henndigo. Eventually I'm going to go grey and I'm a bit nervous how that is going to affect this. I'm a bit nervous about how very dark hair will look with white roots, but pfft I did it anyway! I'm just past TB now and think I'll maintain at this length, definitely not chopping it off ever!

mrs carol
October 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm in my late 50's and my hair is passed my waist. I don't have any plans to cut it short ever. Just trim every couple of years.

Toiréasa
October 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
45 here and BSL is my current length,my goal is waist but that could change once I get there.
I have tried to grow out many times and have never made it past BSL and always ended up with the big chop but since finding LHC I have the confidence to make my goal and the wisdom to be patient from age..

Macaroni
October 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm over 40 and will have waistlength hair when I die. I self-trim every 6 months. They'll have to pry the haircolor bottle out of my cold, dead hands, too :).

MinderMutsig
October 8th, 2011, 05:02 AM
I'm sure social pressure has something to do with it, but it probably has a lot to do with decreased mobility/dexterity too. Arthritis and such; I would think it gets harder to take care of it, braid it, etc. Obviously not at 40 or 50 but older than 60, I would think that could be a problem for some folks. My grandmother developed arthritis pretty early, like 60 or so.Arthritis and such can be a problem for people from childhood on. There are a lot of young people with arthritis or similar disabling diseases. I've had a type of arthritis since I was in my early teens although I wasn't diagnosed until I was 26.

Decreased mobility and dexterity is actually part of what made me grow out my hair. Yes, braiding can be a pain but shorter hair requires a lot of upkeep to make it look halfway decent and you have to do that daily. I have days when I really can't be bothered to do all that so with short hair I just look bad on those days.

With longer hair if I'm going through a bad period I am now able to wash, braid and leave it alone for days without having to do something with it. If I gain some more length and braided buns will be an option it will be even easier. Then I can wash and braid and put that braid up during the day and let it down at night and it will stay neater even longer without me having to worry about it.

If I am not able to do it myself then DH can brush and braid my hair easier than he could make my shorter styles look decent and he only has to do it once every couple of days instead of daily or multiple times a day.

I like doing different things with my hair but when that is not possible it's nice to have a simple hairstyle that can last for days that doesn't make me look as miserable as I feel.

Whipping up a bun is also faster and a lot less straining than the blowdrying and styling I had to do with shorter hair.

going gray
October 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Hi Ladies,

Want to thank you all for this thread!!!!

Dorothy
October 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'm 43 and can't remember if I've posted on this thread before. :o I have never had hair shorter than shoulder length, but since LHC 3 yrs ago I've gone from BSL to what I'm pretty sure is now waist.
I have dark brown hair naturally, and for years I dyed it to cover the grey that started to appear when I was 25. Post LHC, I've gone to Henna instead of brown dye, and discovered that my white hair forms a pattern - my bangs would be completely white, as they're completely red now, and then moving backward on my head, there's gradually more virgin(from box dye but Henna'd) brown hair (you can tell it because it's not red unless it's in bright sun), and from my ears back and down to my nape, it's all brown. I was sort of excited to find this pattern, I used to dye it all brown, so I assumed it was even. Now I will always have ombre hair.
I've considered, when I'm older, gradually fading the Henna with Cassia until I'm white to gold to red ombre, but I think I will have red hair when I'm 80, if I last that long.

JessL
October 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I an 38 and just noe growing out my hair from shoulder. I would like to be at waist by 40

Sunsailing
October 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Wait a minute....
Ladies 40+ are old?

Just to set the record straight....Men 40+ are NOT old :D
(And I do not consider my wife old ;) )

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm 33 and plan to have long hair (as long and healthy as humanly possible) for the rest of my life!

I think all of you posters are beautiful and should keep your gorgeous long hair forever!!! Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise! :cool:

bunzfan
October 8th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well this December i will be 35:eek: with hair the longest its ever been and the healthiest. As i'm told i have a young face i have no plan on cutting it even though my 60 year old mum believes you should cut by the time your 40 because long hair is ageing!

dulce
October 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Tell your mom I'm almost 60 with very close to waist hair and there are many of us older ladies here with long hair and much longer than me.Maybe it'll open her eyes to the fact that not everyone believes that long hair aging myth.Show her pics.That would make it easier for you if she could realize that.

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I just need to add that :D
My grandma is 70 and has between waist and hip lenght hair for over 50 years. It's true that she doesn't wear it down, but I think that short hair doesn't suit her at all. :)

Mrspuddinhead
October 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM

* picks jaw up off the floor* After seeing your hair I'm more inspired then ever to keep on keeping on with my hair growth. :)

Kyaatje
October 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
43 years hoping to get to waist by christmas and with pink streaks : don't care much what people think about it actually

heidi w.
October 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM

This pressure occurs at intervals. If you like your hair, then keep it. It's your body, your head, your hair, AND your decision and choice.

I have had the pressure applied at times, and to date, I overlook it. Long hair has turned out to be a best economical decision now that for the last 10 years, I've been getting laid off a little too frequently.

heidi w.
Next spring I'll be 52. Starting to practice my new age though. hee-hee. This age and long hair is not the norm, but so what!

WinterButterfly
October 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I want to see more "older ladies" with long hair! What constitutes one as being an older lady anyway? I also think that if you have long hair or are growing your hair longer than usual, people will pressure you to get it cut in general. I think the age thing is a convienient way to push their opinions. I personally love to see older ladies and even guys with long hairl. When I see long hair on anyone I do a happy dance. Well, at least I feel like doing aa happy dance. People will always have opinions. Remember that your opinion of your body is the most important. When I'm 40+ I want long hair, especially if society doesn't like it. :)

Madora
October 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
@MrsPuddinHead...Thanks for your nice comment! I'm all for long hair at any age. It certainly is easier to care for than short hair and so versatile as well.

Maybe it's me, but I think a lot of would be long hairs give up the idea because they don't know how to create enough variety and grow bored with their hair.

Honestwitness
October 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Winter Butterfly, you asked for pics..
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2898&pictureid=115883

Quetiepi
October 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I've posted on this thread before, but it's nice to see it back at the top of the list & look at all the gorgeous old broads who post pictures!

Red Rapunzel
October 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I don't have a digital camera and haven't yet finished the roll of film on which I have my more recent hair photos. So here's a photo from 2 1/2 years ago when I was 61 with tailbone length hair after it had been flat-ironed (looking a little thinner than it would have if left to its natural wave). This is my natural color which I still have at 63+.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4831/smallerlonghairphoto.png

dulce
October 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
WOW! Just gorgeous , Red Rapunzel!

GRU
October 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Winter Butterfly, you asked for pics..
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2898&pictureid=115883

Honestwitness, your hair has gotten so much longer!!!! :cheese:

Red Rapunzel
October 14th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dulce: Thanks for your kind words!

I am amazed at the number of gorgeous older long hairs we have here! The fullness of Madora's hair amazes and inspires me!! When my son saw some of the silver-haired ladies' photos, he really liked them and told me he hoped my hair would eventually turn that color! He's looking forward to it!

WinterButterfly
October 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Yay for the "older lady" pictures! Keep having awesome hair!

Honestwitness
October 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Red Rapunzel and Madora, your hair is very beautiful and such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your photos.

GRU, funny you should say that. I just trimmed it three times I'm the past week, after not having trimmed since last December. The very next day after the third trim, someone at work exclaimed how long my hair is getting. The scraggly ends I trimmed off must have been so sparse they actually made it appear shorter. Go figure!

GRU
October 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Well in my case, I think it's because I haven't seen a length picture from you in quite a while -- the difference in length really stuck out at me! It's looking awesome!!!

wooliswonderful
October 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Red Rapunzel! :thud:
Your hair is so beautiful!!

Demetrue
October 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Honest Witness - your hair growth journey is such an inspiration to me!

Honestwitness
October 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the nice compliment, Demetrue! I love what your signature says about silver hair being a sparkling diadem. Wow! What a lovely thought! My mother's white hair is certainly a beautiful crown. She's 81, but she doesn't have long hair...it's just a gorgeous white color. She's my queen.

Red Rapunzel
October 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Honestwitness and Wooliswonderful: Thanks for your kind words! I have admired your hair too and love both of your avatars.

dulce
October 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Honest Witness,I like your ends,soft and feminine,fairytail ends.

Mrspuddinhead
October 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
@MrsPuddinHead...Thanks for your nice comment! I'm all for long hair at any age. It certainly is easier to care for than short hair and so versatile as well.

Maybe it's me, but I think a lot of would be long hairs give up the idea because they don't know how to create enough variety and grow bored with their hair.

You are very welcome Madora and I have to agree with you on would be long hairs giving up because of lack ideas. Even a simple English braid is beautiful and very versatile. Or at least I think so.

UP Lisa
October 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Don't give up your hair for anyone else.

I didn't start growing mine out until I was 42, and I don't plan to cut it anytime soon.

PurpleAshes
October 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I admire older women with long hair. Specially those with grey hair. I think it's beautiful.

GaJunebug
October 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Nice to see others who aren't afraid to keep their hair. It was understood that I would cut mine at 30 as that's what was customary.

Fourteen years later, it's still hanging on my head. I've always had long hair- the shortest being shoulder length in third grade.

I wouldn't know what to without pulling clumps of lost hair out of the drain, being able to pull it into a ponytail or having it to hide behind if I'm feeling flirty. It's just part of me.

sipnsun
October 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm almost 40 and my mother is 61 and we have both been growing our hair for years. Neither of us have any plans to ever have short hair again. We both find that the longer our hair is, the less work it takes styling and getting out the door. Hopefully with places like LHC, more 'older' women will start letting their hair grow and younger women will keep it long as they grow older. Hopefully then, people's opinion will change about needing to cut your hair as you get older.

Honestwitness
October 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Sipnsun, I agree about long hair taking less work. I'm so happy to have long hair now, after having worn it in a pixie for over 30 years. It's so much easier and more versatile now.

Lady McHuerta
October 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM
When I decided to grow out my hair out years ago, I had two inspirations. One was my sister who we lost to leukemia and had barely started to let her hair grow past shoulder length when it fell out due to chemo and the other was a college professor.

Well into her 60's with beautiful blonde-silver hair down to just above her tailbone. Whether she wore it up or down I loved looking at her hair. I love that to this day she still has it long and hasn't bowed to pressure. I think long hair on older women is beautiful, sexy, mysterious and divine.

I can't wait for the grey to come out in my hair and as it grows longer I feel that I have somehow earned my length as well as the grey that will eventually come in. If it makes any of us feel beautiful and feminine why should we worry about how women of a "certain age" should wear their hair.

AngelDella
October 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I can't wait for the grey to come out in my hair and as it grows longer I feel that I have somehow earned my length as well as the grey that will eventually come in. If it makes any of us feel beautiful and feminine why should we worry about how women of a "certain age" should wear their hair.[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel :) I'm 50 and am somewhat sad that if I am like my mom, I may not even start to turn grey until my late 70's :( My mom is 76 and has beautiful hip length hair that is just starting to show some grey streaks. She has always had long hair and has never colored her hair either. She's a lovely woman... I should have followed her example a long time ago!