PDA

View Full Version : John Barrett Salon at Bergdorf Goodman opens a Braid Bar

soopahgrover
June 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
There was a piece on the local 4 o'clock fluffcast (they never do real news) about the salon at Bergdorf Goodman in Manhattan's new Braid Bar.

http://johnbarrett.com/news_events_updates/2011/06/barretts-braid-bar/

I know this is about to become a thread of '$45 for a braid, OMG so expensive!' but I think that's actually pretty reasonable for an updo. I doubt too many people go in for a straight up French braid. The fluffcast showed a cool flip book menu of braided up-dos you could choose from, and some of them were pretty complicated. I'd be making an appointment if I had a wedding to go to this summer, but sadly not.

Nice to know there's a salon with hairdressers trained in braid styles. In my limited experience as an updo client, it seems like many hairdressers just know how to do styles of the tease and curl variety.

In the interview, the salon owner gave most of the credit for the current braid craze to Blake Lively.

Sundial
June 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'd love to go to them to have the Senco braid done! I'm still struggling to get the hang of it :(

GRU
June 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Considering what people pay just for a haircut in NYC, I'd say that a $45 braid is a bargain, particularly a FANCY braid!

::sigh:: One of the few times I regret living in the midwestern version of nowhereville.

ETA -- just went and looked at their pricelist... I'd say the $45 really is a bargain!!!!!

Shampoo and Blow Dry from $75
Hair Cuts and Styling starting at $125
Hair Cut and Styling with John Barrett $500
Hair Extensions from $2,000
Relaxers from $275
Keratin Treatment $450-$550
Updos from $125
Color Services ranging from $130-$500
Hair Conditioning Treatments from $50
Manicure from $35
Pedicure from $75
Eyebrow Design from $65
Eyelash Touch-Up $60 per 1/2 hour session
Temporary Eyelashes from $65

Arya
June 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM
OR we could all go to salon that caters to kinky hair, and get one or two face framing dutch braids like that for like $15!!
Drop by Arya's braid bar and I'll give you the same deal! (my braid bar is my couch. I will feed you tea and cookies while you wait XD).
it is still pretty cool though.

Madora
June 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Just goes to show you, if you can braid you're own hair, you can save a ton of $$$!!!

katsrevenge
June 25th, 2011, 01:00 AM
OR we could all go to salon that caters to kinky hair, and get one or two face framing dutch braids like that for like $15!!
Drop by Arya's braid bar and I'll give you the same deal! (my braid bar is my couch. I will feed you tea and cookies while you wait XD).

This entirely. I could head down the street and have braids done for a lot less from people who have been doing it for YEARS.

Hmm.... what kind of cookies.... and what do you do with layers? :D

Arya
June 25th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Ain't that the truth, Madora!

This entirely. I could head down the street and have braids done for a lot less from people who have been doing it for YEARS.

Hmm.... what kind of cookies.... and what do you do with layers? :D

They are of the chocolate chip variety, as I find raisins misleading and disappointing (but they looked like chocolate chips!!!)
As for layers, I braid hair very damp, retwist strands to smoosh stubborn layers into the middle of the braid or the strand, aloe vera gel the main strands if necessary, and glare angrily at them until they submit to my will. Soft messy braids can be nice, but I hate hate hate ratty braids. I don't understand how celebrities get away with calling it 'style' when it's really code for 'my extensions are hopelessly matted so I'ma just braid some of em and twist some of em and hope I don't get called on it'. XD

lillylonghair
June 25th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I saw this article and honestly,I think it's a real waste of money. I mean 45$ to pus some little braids in your head?!?! How about you come to my house,I'll charge you half without the snooty salon attitude? Then again,we live on a budget so something like that seems soooo frivolous to me. I'd rather spend 45$ on produce or books for my daughter and I. Or some hair toys and makeup......;p Plus,you wouldn't get out of there only spending 45$ b/c you'd have to tip and I'm sure they'd try to talk you into other services.

lillylonghair
June 25th, 2011, 04:06 AM

I'll bring hummus and veggies and make it a party.:D

soopahgrover
June 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Aaaaah! Why didn't I think of that? Hmmmm maybe I'll try that someday, just to see how it turns out.
I'm always afraid a salon will rip and break my hair, so I usually only go when I really have to.. :/

I saw this article and honestly,I think it's a real waste of money. I mean 45$ to pus some little braids in your head?!?! How about you come to my house,I'll charge you half without the snooty salon attitude? Then again,we live on a budget so something like that seems soooo frivolous to me. I'd rather spend 45$ on produce or books for my daughter and I. Or some hair toys and makeup......;p Plus,you wouldn't get out of there only spending 45$ b/c you'd have to tip and I'm sure they'd try to talk you into other services.

That sounds like fun, but it'd cost way more than $45 to get to Texas! :) Thanks for the offer.

Arya
June 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Aaaaah! Why didn't I think of that? Hmmmm maybe I'll try that someday, just to see how it turns out.
I'm always afraid a salon will rip and break my hair, so I usually only go when I really have to.. :/

That sounds like fun, but it'd cost way more than $45 to get to Texas! :) Thanks for the offer.

They're really fantastic, I'd highly recommend it. Kinky hair (especially 4b) is much more delicate than less tightly curled hair, and make sure you mention you have a sensitive head. I'd trust a lady with kinky hair far more than a lady with straight hair to treat my hair gently. Do you have friends who get braids who could recommend you? Or you could check out some local reviews of salons. It's quite an experience if you've never done it, I do recommend it. You might find your favourite new hairstylist there!

Peggy E.
June 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM

What I'd save on the braid, I'd make up on the Canadian travel expenses - don't even have a passport - but your offer sounds great!

Those prices look over-the-moon to this Midwesterner, too, but I do remind myself that Manhattan is a tad more pricey than, oh, say, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin!

There was a stylist here who did a fabulous braid for my daughter's wedding. The stylist had just returned from some sort of seminar in Vegas that included a session on special braiding, so she tried one out on Kate - it was gorgeous! Charged her $20!!!

Still, it's $5 more than you're charging, Arya, and I don't think there was tea and cookies thrown in, either! ;o)

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Although the price is a bit steep, I really like the idea of hairdressers being able to do all these intricate braids. I envy those with Ren Faires nearby, something that just doesn't seem to exist here in the same way, with braiding experts on hand (still for a fee, but y'know). Once or twice a year, for a treat, I'd happily pay for the handiwork of a braiding master. :)

If you were local to me, I'd totally take you up on that offer. :D Tea, cookies, and pretty braids?! Bargain!

growingpains
June 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
What I'd save on the braid, I'd make up on the Canadian travel expenses - don't even have a passport - but your offer sounds great!

Lol you do realize where the Canadian dollar is at right? Coming to Canada from US is more expensive than vice versa given the Canadian dollar is currently valued higher than the US dollar.

That said, coming to New York would be expensive no matter how you swing it. I will say though, that compared to there other prices 45 is not half bad, but not one I'd be willing to pay unless it was a wedding or something.

Cute thread.

Arya
June 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
haha, us LHC braiders should start an international braid bar franchise. I'm sure there's enough of us spread out all over that we could totally do it!

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM
@Arya...Your idea rocks! International Braiders..Unite!

I thought the prices listed were ridiculous, but not surprising, given the high overhead that salon probably has to deal with..and the staff, and the "ambience"...blah, blah, blah.

I think you'd get a better deal (and probably a better experience) by having your locks braided by a Ren Faire braider (something I always longed to do..but I'm paranoid..no one but a George Michael staffer gets near my mop)!

Laurenji
June 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I think I'm going to try and teach my little sister-in-law to braid so that maybe someday she can do the kinds of braids on my that I can't do on myself. While I can understand paying someone to do a really nice job, I still don't think I'd pay $45. But I definitely understand the appeal.

Sweet Beat
July 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
... And the job of my dreams just came to me :) Gash, I want to start a braid bar when I grow up... I've thought about being a hairdresser, but I don't think I could handle all the chemicals and coloring stuff with my sensitive skin. This is just PERFECT!

pittsburgpam
July 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
If it was for a very special occasion and was one fantastic braided updo, I would pay that. Anything else... nawwwwww.

ddiana1979
July 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
That's cool! $45 is steep, but I'd do it for a special occasion.

I moved recently, but I asked my former stylist in Birmingham, AL to do a dutch braid once (I was having trouble doing it myself, and for some odd reason if I can feel someone doing it on my head, it helps me figure out how to do it. . . weird I know), and he said he wasn't good with braids. :( He was a really great stylist, so I was very surprised he couldn't do a relatively simple braid.

Madora
July 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Assuming that the photos accompanying the article are samples of the work done at the John Barrett Salon, I'd sure pass on that place! Go to Madora's Long Hair Heaven in NYC (422 Madison nr. 48th) and have your braids done properly!

Those braids were hardly worth $45.00! And I somehow fail to believe that "all braids" were a certain price! Somehow that doesn't seem to ring true. It takes a LOT more dexterity (and time) to do a 5 strand braid, than it does to do a simple french braid! I've seen from ads at Ren Faires and at salons which stated the more intricate the braid is, the higher the price. And every year the braiding at our local Dickens Faire seems to go up!

cjk
January 13th, 2020, 10:27 PM
It's always adorable when big stores in New York City think they're newsworthy.

MusicalSpoons
January 14th, 2020, 07:30 AM
It's gone up (of course, in 9 yrs)

Dry Braiding/Ponytail from $60
Wash, Blow-Dry & Braiding/Ponytail from $145
Braiding/Ponytail with Extensions from $145 (not including price of clip-in extensions)
Custom Braiding/Ponytailing by consultation

Eek!

littlestarface
January 14th, 2020, 07:54 AM
Considering what people pay just for a haircut in NYC, I'd say that a $45 braid is a bargain, particularly a FANCY braid!

::sigh:: One of the few times I regret living in the midwestern version of nowhereville.

ETA -- just went and looked at their pricelist... I'd say the $45 really is a bargain!!!!!

Shampoo and Blow Dry from $75
Hair Cuts and Styling starting at $125
Hair Cut and Styling with John Barrett $500
Hair Extensions from $2,000
Relaxers from $275
Keratin Treatment $450-$550
Updos from $125
Color Services ranging from $130-$500
Hair Conditioning Treatments from $50
Manicure from $35
Pedicure from $75
Eyebrow Design from $65
Eyelash Touch-Up $60 per 1/2 hour session
Temporary Eyelashes from $65

:run: $$$$$$$ :run:

AmaryllisRed
January 14th, 2020, 08:21 AM
If they could make a classic length ponytail comfortable for all-day wear, it'd be worth the $60. ;)

MusicalSpoons
January 14th, 2020, 08:24 AM
:run: $$$$$$$ :run:

It's slightly more terrifying now https://johnbarrett.com/services/ bearing in mind the 'from' prices are probably for pixie-chin length ...

Haircut from $140
Blow-Dry from $85
Updo from $140

Hair Treatment Mask from $20 (can you imagine how many $100s they'd charge us for a mask?!)

If they could make a classic length ponytail comfortable for all-day wear, it'd be worth the $60. ;)

Lazy Wrap ponytail?

C_Bookworm
January 14th, 2020, 08:32 AM
I’m in the wrong business :rolling: I need to start a braid bar to make bank!