PDA

View Full Version : Beer for hair??

Mrspuddinhead
June 24th, 2011, 04:42 PM
While snuggling on the couch with my husband the other night he pretended as if he was going to poor beer in my hair. Of course I reacted and called him crazy.:p Anyway he said " don't you know beer is good for hair??" Of course my husband is always kidding and joking around so I turned to none other the Google and this is what I found. From what I've read you can do this once a month.

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/beerrinse.htm

"
Beer is a very good setting lotion. It makes hair look healthy and shiny, and gives blown dried hair increased vitality, resilience, and hold. Spray a little beer into your hair using a pump bottle after shampooing, just before you dry and style your hair. You can store the beer for a week or two if you keep it in a sealed bottle in the refrigerator."

jesis
June 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think luxepiggy has an entire thread about this somewhere! :)

Notluckyblessed
June 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
My Mom use to tell me it was good for your hair to. I've never tryed it though. :shrug:

Mymagicfairy
June 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
It's true...just don't over do it as it still has a bit of alcohol
It's almost like hairspray!...or setting lotion

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM
My mom used to swear by using beer as a setting lotion back in the day. I once rinsed with Coors, but I think I did it wrong as my hair came out really nasty.

sugarpixie10988
June 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
One of my favorite Chagrin Valley shampoo bars has beer in it, I've never tried beer by itself though. I'm not really a fan of the smell.

Mrspuddinhead
June 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think luxepiggy has an entire thread about this somewhere! :)

I didn't even think of doing a thread search. I'll do that now. Thank you so much!!

Mrspuddinhead
June 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM

I was thinking of trying it but by following the directions on the link I posted by adding it with water and ACV. From other links I've read it said you could use it as a light misting once you shampooed or you can open the beer and let it set on the counter for overnight. That was it isn't as strong. Thanks for posting. :)

Mrspuddinhead
June 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
My mom used to swear by using beer as a setting lotion back in the day. I once rinsed with Coors, but I think I did it wrong as my hair came out really nasty.

once a month use a can of flat beer after shampooing. Choose a beer that does not have a strong odor. Shampoo and rinse hair as usual. Pour the flat warm beer on your hair and work it through. Rinse with lukewarm, not hot, water. I think I'm going to give this a try. If I can manage to sneak a beer away from the husband. :eyebrows:

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM
once a month use a can of flat beer after shampooing. Choose a beer that does not have a strong odor. Shampoo and rinse hair as usual. Pour the flat warm beer on your hair and work it through. Rinse with lukewarm, not hot, water. I think I'm going to give this a try. If I can manage to sneak a beer away from the husband. :eyebrows:
::facepalm::
You're supposed to rinse it out? No wonder it was so gross, lol. Man, is my face red.

gogirlanime
June 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Maybe one of us should try alcohol-free beer? I've heard beer makes it shiny and softer, but also not to do it too often. I think the beer gives some of the same effects as apple cider vinegar would.

Mrspuddinhead
June 25th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Maybe one of us should try alcohol-free beer? I've heard beer makes it shiny and softer, but also not to do it too often. I think the beer gives some of the same effects as apple cider vinegar would.

From what I've read you should do this no more then once a month. I'll steal a beer from my husband and try it Sunday. I will post a before and after picture.

RitaCeleste
June 25th, 2011, 01:07 AM
It is suppose to make hair really shine. I knew a girl who did the beer rinses and she always had great hair.

BlazingHeart
June 25th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I know it's supposed to be good for hair, but I hate the smell of beer. Uck, I couldn't do it. I used to be a bartender and I swear working parties I got just about everything in my hair, but I can't stomach the idea of intentionally pouring it on myself. I do know I'm way sensitive to the smell. My DF teases me sometimes because I make him brush his teeth before I'll kiss him after he's had a beer.

PolarCathy
June 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I did it a couple of times lately. I wrap my head with a towel, with the beer in my hair for 15-45 minutes, then rinse it out thoroughly. Finally rinse well with a strong rosemary tea and there is no aftersmell this way.

CrystalStar
June 25th, 2011, 03:14 AM

The other day I was so close to buying some alcohol-free beer just for this purpose! I always wondered if the alcohol might be a bit too harsh on hair but people seem to only have nice things to say!