PDA

View Full Version : Residue from an SMT?

MeganE
June 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hey everyone,

My SMT's sometimes leave a white cakey residue in my hair. Anybody know what causes that? I'm using 100% aloe vera gel, Garnier Triple Nutrition, and a generic store brand honey.

The AVG does list some other ingredients. It includes: Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, and Diazolidynyl Urea.

Anje
June 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I get that sometimes. I haven't figured out what it is yet, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the AVG, as I've never had the problem when I leave it out. Maybe it's what over-cooked AVG does? (Perhaps one bored evening, I'll experiment...)

MeganE
June 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Over-cooked as in before it gets bottled and sold, or do you mean when you heat it up before using it?

Because I actually don't warm mine up; I don't mind if the honey lightens my hair.

Anje
June 24th, 2011, 01:23 PM
"Overcooked" as in, "Maybe I microwaved it too long."

MeganE
June 24th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Gotcha. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! But that's likely not to be the problem, since I don't microwave mine at all. I have a feeling it's the AVG too, probably one of the extra ingredients? How can the bottle claim it's 100% AVG and then list a bunch of extra ingredients, anyway? It's a mystery.

CoconutLover
June 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I have found that my triple nutrition conditioner often causes me problems when in an SMT, exactly as you described - white flakiness. When I do my SMT's with the same AVG, honey but a different conditioner, it works fine, so I no longer use triple nutrition in an SMT. You could try it with another conditioner and see if that's the culprit?

triumphator!
June 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I get this too, and I don't cook my honey. I think it's just tiny granules of the whatever makes the conditioner its texture. I've found that GFTN goes to a watery substance above room temperature, so I think it has an additive that makes it creamier.

MeganE
June 30th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I get this too, and I don't cook my honey. I think it's just tiny granules of the whatever makes the conditioner its texture. I've found that GFTN goes to a watery substance above room temperature, so I think it has an additive that makes it creamier.

Darn! I was so loving the triple nutrition in the SMTs. Anybody have suggestions about what else they like to use instead?

sugar&nutmeg
June 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I confess, I use the cheapy VO5 Herbal Escapes conditioners in my SMT. Usually the Sun-kissed Raspberry.

I do sometimes use GFTN as a post-'poo-bar wash leave-in (just a tiny, tiny bit).

KatiSasha
June 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I started using the GF Pure Clean for SMT after I bought it for CO washing and didn't love it. But it's really great in SMTs. it's super light and free of additives so I never have issues with residue of any kind, I use basic Good Earth clear aloe vera gel and Sue Bee's honey.

Sundial
June 30th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I had the same problem with Garnier Triple Nutrition! I started getting white flakes after a few SMTs with it