PDA

View Full Version : Saving hair for a rat when you use a comb

Eirelin
June 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have read about saving your old hair to make a rat, but I have realized lately that, since I joined and now only use a comb (and sometimes BBB), I don't have shed hair in a brush to collect any more! Most of it appears to just shed here and there and only a couple of strands seem to come out when I am combing. There is some on the bathroom floor, but I don't mop every single day, so I don't want the stuff that ends up on the floor.

When I do my roommate's hair, there is always plenty in the comb and BBB; if I wanted to make one for him :D it would take no time at all. But for me, it has been over a month, and I have hardly anything collected.

Has anyone else had this problem? I also thought since it is June and REALLY hot here in Florida, I would be shedding more, but where is the hair??

Djinmonet
June 24th, 2011, 12:30 PM
When you are combing if you kind of tilt the comb up as you reach the ends of you hair, some of the shed hairs stay laying across the inner curve of the tines.
Another way I harvested those, was taking the comb and carefully running it down to about ear level from top to loosen the shed hairs, and then sort of working them out gently from the bottom.
This worked for making little length things that I could play around with for coloring, as a teenager. For instance, I could use sun-in on a section I had saved, clip that into a braid or whatever without ruining my growing hair. I also dyed those bits with sharpies afterwards, to get blue, and whatever came to mind. :D
I don't know how well that might work if you comb often though? I would guess having it up all day would also help concentrate the shed to that first combing. Good luck.