PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been disgusted with your haircare routine?

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
A girl I go to school with was complimenting my hair yesterday, and she asked me what products I used to make it soft and shiny. When I told her that I don't brush it, only wash it about twice a week and that I put oil in it, she gave me this horrified look and said she can't believe I don't wash more often and that putting oil in one's hair is disgusting.
What I find ridiculous is that she was complimenting my hair until I told her what I did to make it that way, and then it was like my hair was gross. My hair didn't change in the few seconds it took for me to divulge my routine. Now I've decided to lie when asked about my hair.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

IanB
June 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
:pumpkin:
Yes, but sometimes when you look at their hair, you can understand why!

kamikaze hair
June 24th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hi! im new and you dont know me but yes I've had people ask what I do with my hair and not been too impressed other times. Don't worry about it, if you look at your awesome hair, and then notice theirs, which chances are is not as awesome, it doesn't matter. I'm sure when they next go to brush, wash, (do whatever) to their hair they'll think of you and your lovely hair and think twice about their comment and the useful techniques you use. :)

ZeppHead
June 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yes! I'm sure this happens with anyone with nice hair because people who don't go extra lengths to really put special care into their hair do not understand. They do not understand why you would do such things and what the outcome is of using oil and mixing crazy concoctions. Also, they probably expect answers like "0hh I use Pantene!" and do not expect to hear things like "I wash twice a week, deep condition once a week, co wash all other days, only use a wide tooth comb, use coconut oil on my wash days, take prenatal vitamins...." It takes work to have nice hair, some people are lucky enough to have naturally perfect hair but most don't. How you care for your hair will reflect in it's condition...some people look for easy ways out and think your hair is dirty if you do not wash it every single day....but their the ones with dry damaged hair. Don't let what anyone else says about your hair bother you. What your doing is obviously working for you, or else she wouldn't have asked what you do for it. But, secretly she is probably trying out what you told her. :rolleyes:

Oksana
June 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I don't have enough fingers to count how many people have looked at me in disgust when i have told them i don't use shampoo.

What amazes me is that, i never tell anyone that unless they ask about my routine or comment on how i have got my hair healthier.

2 people I have told were really interested and i'm sure will give my routine a go to see if it works for them:)

Anje
June 24th, 2011, 08:47 AM
How you phrase things makes a difference.

"I've found that I can get my hair clean with conditioner" is better than "I don't use shampoo."
"My hair only needs washed a couple times per week" is better than "I only wash my hair twice a week."
"Combs don't break my hair as much as brushes" is better than "I don't brush my hair."

Basically, lead them to the idea that what you're doing is still hygienic. And remember that "oil" should be translated to "nourishing super-serum" for the uninitiated. :D

BroadwayBeauty
June 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
This happens all the time to me! I was at the mall last week when an employee from a store I was in asked what I do to my hair. When I told her that I CO wash and never use sulfate-based shampoo, she was really interested. But then her coworker popped up and said, "That's disgusting. Doesn't your hair smell awful?" Ha. Now people seem to be a little more accepting when I say something like, "I wash my hair with conditioner."

The worst thing, though, is when I tell people that I oil my hair. I cannot tell you how many times I've been told things like "White people shouldn't use oil" or "White people hair doesn't need oil." The other day I was at a hair care store and bought some oil and everyone, black, white, and Asian, stared at me like I walked in there standing on my hands. Some people just don't understand that hair care isn't black and white (haha, that turned into a nice pun).

Nymph
June 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I once tried to explain ACV rinses but the girl went "omg that stuff smells so gross, your boyfriend is actually sleeping next to your vinegar-smelling hair?" At that point I simply gave up.

elbow chic
June 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It's annoying in any endeavor when people ask "wow, how did you do that?" and you TELL them, and they're all "omg, that's so horrible!"

Now I say "I'm just very fortunate, I guess." Smile beatifically and mysteriously. Most of them can't handle the truth. :p

Marz Hase
June 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM
It happens ALL the time... So aggravating! >:O And I don't even randomly just tell people what I do either... It always comes up if someone ASKS.

littlenvy
June 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
LOL.
I had that when I told the girls at my dentist's office that I quit shampoo last year.
The look of horror is priceless. :cheese: All of a sudden my hair was looked at in great detail to see any possible flaws and grossness factor. And when I suggested they should try ACV rinse themselves just to see how nice its for their hair, they just say "oh I don't have time for that" ... right because it takes 3 hours or something.
Now everytime I go in there its "Are you still doing that hair thing?" "Why Yes" I say. "Its not a thing, its a life and hair changing routine."

Hypnotica
June 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
No. Never. And I have answered truthfully when they question me. And some has actually started practice "alternative" haircare on their own.

My problem has been of the kind of reversed sort - I'm a member of several different forums and not all are hair related. But on one of these forums there is a thread dedicated to alternative body care. I got pretty much booted from that thread when I claimed that silicones are not evil, sulphate poo's does not destroy everyone's hair and that mineral oil is the best when it comes to keep moisture in the skin (but again, not everyone's skin like mineral oil). Apparently, I'm damaging my hair and skin even though both are behaving fabulous.

RitaCeleste
June 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
My ex, who I date still and stay with over the summer, made one comment when I told him I wasn't using shampoo. He thought my hair would turn gross and greasy. But when I got in the shower, did my hair and came out, it smelled nice and wasn't greasy. He asked, what co-washing was supposed to do for me. I said make it poof less and that won him over. He's been quite nice and hasn't called me Cousin It all summer. My sister has oily hair but great straighter hair. She said she could never give her shampoo. But she was glad I am finally taking care of my hair and trying to make it softer. I don't believe in showers everyday unless you do blue collar work and need it. I tell people that bathe everyday and sit around in AC they are just bad for the environment wasting all that water! But I am most disgusted with myself over my haircare routine. That's because I now feel vain and spoiled about it, I spend more time and money on it and wouldn't go back to OK hair. Oddly no one said anything bad about oiling or anything. One aunt was horrified that I was getting the products for my hair at black beauty supply stores, lecturing me on how black hair was different from white hair. But if I saved a fortune on products by researching the best conditioners and treatments for african hair types because I have dry chemically damaged coarse wavey hair. Most of my products are used by people of all colors anyway. I found an oil sheen spray that white people are warned away from in the store but it just takes 30 to 45 mins to soak into my hair and then it doesn't look oily or greasy, it looks gorgeous! I haven't been using this summer because I don't have it with me and I miss it. Don't let packaging scare you away from great products.

rena
June 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I have not yet encountered any disgust, but a few people think not rinsing my conditioner all the way out is kind of strange :\.

elbow chic
June 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Apparently, I'm damaging my hair and skin even though both are behaving fabulous.

haha, reminds me of when the Pantene scare was going around. I had more people, including my stylist, ask "omg, your hair is so amazing what do you use on it?" and I'd say "pantene" and they'd go "PANTENE MAKES YOUR HAIR SUFFOCATE/BREAK OFF IN CLUMPS/WHATEVER"

I'm like, but you just noted how "healthy and beautiful" it is...

(I'm still using pantene. shhhh. :laugh:)

Celtic Morla
June 24th, 2011, 09:50 AM
people do give me looks when I tell them about oiling hair to make it better then I let them feel my hair and they are amazed at how nice it is!LOL

growingpains
June 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I tell people all the time about how rarely I wash my hair. I'm very vocal and open in general. All my friends know I stretch washes and their response: "Omg I can't believe your hair looks so good without washing I could NEVER do that". I also tell them about CO. I think I am older than you though (mid-late twenties) and all my friends are the same age and very sweet. I don't hang around people who would be rude.

That said, I prefer not to mention to my boyfriend about my 'weird' hair things. I am with him all the time so obviously he knows I don't wash my hair everyday, but I don't think he realizes how rarely it happens or that I intentionally go as long as I can often. He also does not know about AVC, EVOO, or CO.

I agree it is largely about how you phrase things and also who you tell!

darkrose
June 24th, 2011, 10:00 AM
i wash my hair about twice a week and put oil in it and eat cod liver oil tablets everyday. my friends at school said my hair looked nice, and asked what i did. as soon as i finished telling them my rountine, they looked digusted.:/

sibiryachka
June 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
The two people with whom I shared the fact that I'd recently gone a whole week without washing my hair - indeed, without even showering! - were totally grossed out. Even the German woman, and I think of Europeans as being less daily-bath-obsessed than Americans. To be fair, though, both followed up the initial "Eeeww!" with "I bet it did wonders for your hair".

pepperminttea
June 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I try not to mention my routine to the "uninitiated." :p When relatives visit, I inevitably get questions as to why there's cocoa powder (dry shampoo) and brown sugar (face exfoliant) on the bathroom windowsill, and why there's little bottles of oils in the fridge door, but the rest of the time I try to be as vague about my routine as possible. When I have answered truthfully in the past, people tend to look at me as if I've just emerged from a cow's posterior.

honeyblonde
June 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Haha!! Hubby is disgusted when he finds olive oil and avocado stuck in the bathroom sink!! Yeah, it tends to clog up my drain!!! He doesn't think all that "GUNK" is necessary......:D

CrystalStar
June 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I have people think I'm a bit of a weird person for CO washing! Whenever people ask about my hair I'm a bit hesitant to say because they just don't understand.. I always end up waving my hair about saying 'Look! It DOES work!'. I also get people ask me why I don't just use normal dye, why I use oils, and why I don't use heat. :p

I try and phrase things in a way as to not sound as odd, like prefacing a mention of CO washing with the fact that conditioner has mild cleansing agents and isn't very stripping..

waialeale
June 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have never gotten a bad reaction when I tell people I use oil in my hair. I have been putting oil in my hair since I was 14 or 15. They usually ask what kind. But this was before when I would wear my hair curly one day and the next day flat iron it :/

Its not what you say but how you say it.

Hypnotica
June 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
haha, reminds me of when the Pantene scare was going around. I had more people, including my stylist, ask "omg, your hair is so amazing what do you use on it?" and I'd say "pantene" and they'd go "PANTENE MAKES YOUR HAIR SUFFOCATE/BREAK OFF IN CLUMPS/WHATEVER"

Suffocate? Hair isn't alive (although you do wonder sometimes). I blame inane ads for all the bull feces you hear about hair and skin care.

Rivanariko
June 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I don't think you need to lie. Some people will think you're odd, but oh well. According to "The Masses" we ARE a little odd. And vaguely creepy ;)

I haven't gotten any really negative reactions. My best friend raises an eyebrow occasionally. "Aloe Vera and HONEY? That's kind of bizarre" but not in disgust. She just thinks I'm weird and accepts it. And occasionally tries it and concedes my victory :D

I don't usually divulge my full routine unless people genuinely ask. I'll mention something about "not shampooing every day" if they seem interested, and I'll happily tell people that I don't brush it and the advantages of keeping it up/back/contained 90% of the time.

As far as oil, maybe saying "I use a little bit of hair-oil to help keep it moisturized" will give a more accurate picture than "I put oil on". I know the picture that conjured up the first time I read it was of someone pouring a bottle of olive oil over their head...

Athena's Owl
June 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Generally I just say, "I don't have enough time to explain, and even if I did, you wouldn't believe me."

One time a grocery check out girl saw me with my hair on the loose and said, "How do you grow it so long?" and I said, "Don't go for hairstylist appointments."

and she looked horrified and said, "What?" I just smiled and took my groceries.

MissManda
June 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I don't talk about my routine with other people unless they ask. :p The people in my city are more open to alternative body care in general, though, so I haven't had anyone from around here proclaim their disgust to me. If they're disgusted, they keep it to themselves.

I remember one time I was talking with my younger sister about hair. She was complaining about how quickly she got the greasies and I told her that yeah, my hair used to be the exact same way but I'd figured out how to wash my hair only twice a week. I was expecting her to freak out a little, but she exclaimed "LUCKY!" :laugh:

triumphator!
June 24th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I say, "I do weird hippy stuff" and people usually go, "ohh okay..." and start up talking about themselves again.

skara_brae
June 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM
It's annoying in any endeavor when people ask "wow, how did you do that?" ....Now I say "I'm just very fortunate, I guess." Smile beatifically and mysteriously.

"I've found that I can get my hair clean with conditioner" is better than "I don't use shampoo."
"My hair only needs washed a couple times per week" is better than "I only wash my hair twice a week."
"Combs don't break my hair as much as brushes" is better than "I don't brush my hair."
Elbow chic and Anje, thanks for these words of wisdom. I'll be tucking them away for when I get the inevitable questions... I'm terrible when put on the spot (it's an INTP thing), so having some wit and forethought helps me a lot. ;)

Haha!! Hubby is disgusted when he finds olive oil and avocado stuck in the bathroom sink!! Yeah, it tends to clog up my drain!!! He doesn't think all that "GUNK" is necessary......:D
If your sig pic is anything to judge by, your hair LOVES that treatment. (My colour used to be very similar to yours, btw. Maybe I'll have to add olive oil and avocado to my "to try" list...)

One time a grocery check out girl saw me with my hair on the loose and said, "How do you grow it so long?" and I said, "Don't go for hairstylist appointments." and she looked horrified and said, "What?" I just smiled and took my groceries.
:laugh: I'm at the length where I'm starting to get that question occasionally. I think I'll steal your answer.

TheBluffs
June 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM
. And remember that "oil" should be translated to "nourishing super-serum" for the uninitiated. :D
:lol:
Or 'Elixer of Nourishment'.
Beh, I've had people straight up ask me how many times a week do I wash my hair, which my reply was 'Er, once or twice'. Their reply was ' :puke: '. So asked asked. 'How many days does it take for your hair to be dirty?'. 'Two' they said. 'So I wash my hair everyday'. 'See' I said. 'It takes my hair 5 days to become what your hair does in two'. They kind of understand now, but still think stretch washing is unhygenic.

BlueMuse
June 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I've gotten some odd looks, but then again, I figure people just don't think it's that much stranger than the clock hand halo I tend to sport and my other over-the-top hair decorations.

Mairéad
June 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I don't go to see the person who used to cut my hair because she would constantly "reprimand" me for the way I take care of my hair.

Various quotes from her being,

"Henna is the worse possible thing you could do to your hair."
"Never put oil in your hair."

She constantly would tell me my hair is dry and damaged and I would be all, "Huh, where?"

The only thing my hair dresser did like about my routine was how infrequently I washed. Good for her. She still annoyed the daylight out of me. We just have different hair philosophies.

KittyLost
June 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
The biggest thing people seem to have a problem with is how little you actually wash your hair. It didn't matter if my hair looked great and I have a 2minute body shower everyday but if you don't wash your hair everday you're automatically "unclean".

I just lie, it's way easier. When somebody asks me what I do they usually tell me what they do to thier hair first and I just agree with what they say.

Sweet_Decadence
June 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
If asked, which is rare at best, I'll be honest. Haven't had any massive reactions so far, people up this way just don't really care I think.

People are more interseted in how they can achieve my pink though.

spidermom
June 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I've never had anybody question my hair care routine, but this seems a situation where you can say "the results speak for themselves," if somebody compliments your hair, then criticizes your routine.

MoonlightShadow
June 24th, 2011, 02:48 PM
um...my mom finds it disgusting that i use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash my hair.

allmixedup88
June 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
This reminds me of little kids. Little kids will eat something then when you tell them what it is, they don't like it anymore.

ArienEllariel
June 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I've gotten weird looks, etc. Usually I just don't tell people that I don't wash my hair every day. That keeps all the "eww that's sooooo gross" comments from surfacing, especially from some of the teenage girls I regularly hang around. This can be particularly interesting while on trips with young people who are caught up in "accepted" social grooming habits. I've gotten the "aren't you going to wash your hair?" question more than I'd like. I usually try to dodge around it and talk about something else.

Oh, and heaven forbid you actually put OIL in your hair/on your face. That's just making it dirty!

Elysium
June 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I can't remember anyone ever being disgusted, but I've gotten quite a few odd looks, especially from my family. At this stage they're kind of used to me walking around with honey/egg/henna/conditioner/oils on my head :D

CariadA
June 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
DH and I were at a neighbors barbeque when a woman mentioned that she drinks a Tablespoon of olive oil every day for the health benefits. Everyone was talking about how healthy olive oil is when DH loudly and proudly said, "my wife washes her hair with olive oil"! Every single person turned and looked at me in disgust. I just explained that, no, I don't wash my hair in olive oil, I just use it before and after washings (I CO, but I didn't mention that part). Then they were asking me about it, but they didn't seemed grossed out anymore. I also told them I use it on my skin, and several girls said they do, too,

I guess when DH sees me slather my hair in oil, let it sit a couple of hours and then go shower he figured I was ONLY using the olive oil on my hair. I guess it didn't gross him out to think that. He actually rarely shampoos his hair; he just rinses it with water most of the time and it looks amazing.

Arya
June 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
The key is to be condescending back.
Oh, you're still probably washing your hair every day..didn't you read the cosmo articles about how harmful that is to your hair???
("Squeaky clean hair feels great, and it can be easier to style, but shampooing your hair too frequently does more damage than good. By lathering up too often you’ll strip your hair of natural oils and disrupt their natural production causing oiler hair. Stick to washing your hair two to three times a week."
http://www.cosmopolitan.com.au/10_lessons_you_need_to_unlearn.htm)

You do know that coconut oil and olive oil are the only things proven to penetrate the hair shaft, right? Everything else just sits on top...

Oh, you thought all conditioners do was condition?? No, they actually clean your scalp if you know how to use them right..

tigereye
June 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Most people are good about it with me. If they're nice to me, but don't understand it (as in, "but I don't get it, must it not make it greasy and nasty", or "but how can you wash your hair without shampoo?", or "tea? in your hair?" type comments) then I have something to work with in terms of explaining the benefits. I have actually thus far managed to influence the daily routines of some of my family and friends for the better. My mum is the most supportive. She says, do what you want, as long as it works for you, and thus far, my ( CWC wash weekly, deep condition, daily tea scalp treatment, only use combs, evoo and tea tree on a swim day, monthly henna gloss-maybe to become full out henna-ing ) routine seems to work quite well as far as i'm concerned.

If people are really rude to me and if their hair is obviously in worse condition than mine, then I normally lash out and tell them, "Well there is a reason I have long soft, shiny, straight hair 7 days after washing, and you have dry, greasy, lifeless, split hair after one." I know I shouldn't really, but, I sometimes can't help it, if someone is so blatantly rude about something I worked so hard for. Thankfully, in my little part of the world these people are few and far between.

LoversLullaby
June 24th, 2011, 03:25 PM
My mom's pretty disgusted when I put vinegar in my hair (hard to hide it too because I keep a bottle in the bathroom :o) Or the fact that I put oil in it (again hard to hide) and don't wash everyday (again hard to hide).
Meh, I just keep doing it anyways. I don't blab to her much about it.

Slinks
June 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Basically, lead them to the idea that what you're doing is still hygienic. And remember that "oil" should be translated to "nourishing super-serum" for the uninitiated. :D

WOW !! you're a clever chooky :-) well said .. will certainly say this when asked but I don't get asked ..

elbow chic
June 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have to admit that years ago, I had a roommate who kept a gallon jug of ACV in the bathroom. I thought it was weird, one of those "black" things I just didn't understand. :p But I never inquired-- it's pretty impertinent to ask a near-total stranger about her bathroom/toiletry habits.

Finally the mystery of what she could possibly be DOING with all that vinegar is solved.

Audrey Horne
June 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I don't get compliments often, if ever Haha However, sometimes I'm asked what I do to my hair (I wonder why. Bored?). They'd ask how often I wash and I say "When it's dirty :-)". Blatantly lying, of course ;) Or "What do you do to make it shine?" I say it's all magic. Nobody got disgusted with oils. But I've heard once some girls talking about mayo, acv, eggs... "Ewww how could they do it!" I just smiled.
I got weird reactions when I said I haven't cut my hair for ages. "It's all in splits. It won't grow". Sadly, nobody checked my hair for splits.
People would be probably grossed out if they knew I don't shower daily. Of course, I wash daily but not from top to bottom. I never say anyone...

Mesmerise
June 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I just don't mention it! I mean... I can't be bothered getting into an explanation of CO or how conditioner can clean your hair... and now I don't wash my hair that often, I don't bother explaining that either.

If someone asked I'd just shrug and say, "Regular hair care stuff I guess?" and be really vague!

Audrey Horne
June 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I just don't mention it! I mean... I can't be bothered getting into an explanation of CO or how conditioner can clean your hair... and now I don't wash my hair that often, I don't bother explaining that either.

If someone asked I'd just shrug and say, "Regular hair care stuff I guess?" and be really vague!
I agree. They don't wanna know anyway, so why even bother, right? :D

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Wow, seems like I'm not the only one, that makes me feel a a lot better.

Audrey Horne
June 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Anyone had the stares /laughs because you've mentioned the (super cheap) price of your conditioner? I made a mistake. Once and never again.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I've been told the uber-cheap Suave and V05 I use for CWC is junk. Obviously I'm not going to pour on my expensive stuff to coat the length, but I don't think they understand what I'm doing with it.

Mairéad
June 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
My mom actually still really likes those cheap conditioners. That's one thing she's never looked at me funny for. My mom does do things like ACV rinses and she was the one who actually told me about them.

But, I've suggested Curly Girl method for her hair and she went, "Whhhhhhha?"

I think that's where she drew the line. Haha.

CareBear
June 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Anyone had the stares /laughs because you've mentioned the (super cheap) price of your conditioner? I made a mistake. Once and never again.
That happened to me when I had short hair. I was at a salon getting a cut and the stylist first complimented my hair then asked what shampoo and cond I used. I told her suave, and her and the other stylists had a freak out "Oh my GOD your hair is STARVING!" :rolleyes: um excuse me what??? Needless to say I never went back there.

McFearless
June 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I'm disgusted with my own hair routine to be honest.

CariadA
June 24th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I did tell my mom about what I was doing with my hair. She wasn't grossed out at all; she actually does the same things now!

She has always worn updos most of the time. She also has only been washing once a week for as long as I can remember. I actually wash every other day for Seb. Dermatits. But I taught her how to CO wash, which she now loves, and I taught her how to do AVC rinses, oilings and SMTs. I also taught her how to finger comb and she rarely uses a comb now and never uses a brish. She is 3a/M/ii, so she has quite different hair than me. Her length stretched is just about the same as mine. She has been telling all of her curly friends about all of these methods and has a couple of friends who are trying them for themselves.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm glad your Mom is supportive. My Mom was always on me to blow my hair out whenever I washed it and make it 'settle down'.

CariadA
June 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'm glad your Mom is supportive. My Mom was always on me to blow my hair out whenever I washed it and make it 'settle down'.

That's awful. :( A lot of people out there think the only acceptable hair type is sleek and straight. I know my mom has always wished she had straight, sleek hair (which I do have). My mom is a baby boomer and grew up during the time that ironing hair with a clothing iron was the norm. I wish more people felt comfortable with their natural texture, but at least it's better now than it used to be.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, Mom has that sleek, bone-straight hair, and I guess to her that was what 'settled down' meant. She always thought mine looked like I just rolled out of bed, due to the fact that my hair will never lay like hers unless I iron it to death and there is zero humidity. I'm an adult and to this day she will ask me if I just woke up, lolz.

Raiscake
June 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
My younger sister always asks about my routine. I told her everything I do, and I think she's gonna try them too. She knows I always like to do "crazy" things with my hair so she doesn't mind me so much.

My mom's starting to catch on though, I think. She once asked me if I'm ever gonna wash my hair, and I said I would that night. I think she'd be grossed out if I tell her just how long I stretch my washes out.

Audrey Horne
June 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I did tell my mom about what I was doing with my hair. She wasn't grossed out at all; she actually does the same things now!

She has always worn updos most of the time. She also has only been washing once a week for as long as I can remember. I actually wash every other day for Seb. Dermatits. But I taught her how to CO wash, which she now loves, and I taught her how to do AVC rinses, oilings and SMTs.
*high five* My mom is very supportive as well. She goes my LHC-way step by step and never freaks out. She does a lot of things I practice. However, she's totally another type 1a/F/i. Now I should only make her dye with natural stuff.
She's the most supportive in my growing process (she wants to grow too).

That happened to me when I had short hair. I was at a salon getting a cut and the stylist first complimented my hair then asked what shampoo and cond I used. I told her suave, and her and the other stylists had a freak out "Oh my GOD your hair is STARVING!" :rolleyes: um excuse me what??? Needless to say I never went back there.
First they compliment, then this agenda starts... :eyesroll: Why would someone do it :confused: I had this once at the hairdressers. It's easy to shock them :D I never came back for many reasons.
I think it makes sense to go to a hairdresser who mostly cuts men's hair. Or just quit it all in general? I didn't get very lucky when it comes to salons...

Mairéad
June 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've had such poor luck with finding a hair dresser that I like. I especially dislike the ones who want to push products on me even after I explain my aversion to the ingredients in them. My trouble has been finding a hair dresser who isn't trying so hard to be a salesperson as well.

I've too been complimented on my hair until I told them how I kept it.

CariadA
June 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM
*high five* My mom is very supportive as well. She goes my LHC-way step by step and never freaks out. She does a lot of things I practice. However, she's totally another type 1a/F/i. Now I should only make her dye with natural stuff.
She's the most supportive in my growing process (she wants to grow too).

That's great! I am always updating my mom, DH and my MIL about my growth and routine. They are all very supportive. MIL uses a very traditional routine of S&C, dye and highlights and daily straightening but she is also totally supportive of my hair journey. Both my mom and my MIL love long hair in general. I don't think DH cares at all, but he at least pretends to listen to me gab about it.:cheese:

LaceyNg
June 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
DH is pretty disgusted by my showering habbits... or lack thereof. I've tried to explain to him time and time again that if i didnt GO anywhere and didnt sweat, why do i need a full shower every day? and he's always like "are you going to wash your hair TONIGHT?". he takes TWO showers a day and washes daily, so i think thats part of it.

and most hairdressers just piss me off, in how they ALWAYS try to sell me all this expensive CRAP, and really dont care about the QUALITY of my hair at all! i got so fed up with it that i've learned to trim my own hair, and have no plans to EVER go to a hairdresser ever again! so there! :D

i dont get asked about how i care for my hair, since its not particularly long yet, i guess. but if/when i DO, i will totally try my best to convert people! i dont care if i come of sounding "wierd" (THAT'S nothing new), it'd be worth it to get more people "in the know" about haircare thats GOOD for their hair!

Audrey Horne
June 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
That's great! I am always updating my mom, DH and my MIL about my growth and routine. They are all very supportive. MIL uses a very traditional routine of S&C, dye and highlights and daily straightening but she is also totally supportive of my hair journey. Both my mom and my MIL love long hair in general. I don't think DH cares at all, but he at least pretends to listen to me gab about it.:cheese:
My DH doesn't care at all, I think. But he listens and is very supportive. Lucky us! :-D

Hairdressers yeah... Hmmm I was never pushed to buy anything but most of the times it was "trimmed too much", "too little" or just wrong. And blowdryers! I cannot stand them, I flake! And they never listen... One blowdrying is enough to get my eczema started. One hairdresser even gave me a mullet instead of pixie! Hahah I had to fix it.
I know one perfect hairdresser. She lives in another country :-( My mom's friend. She used to trim my hair whenever I visited as a kid. However, she trims mostly men's hair. Very precise, no questions, I could use my products if I wanted and she even liked my at the time curly triangle-head... *sigh* I miss her.

Helix
June 24th, 2011, 11:15 PM
You know there is a solution to this: Just don't tell people your bidness (intentional typo for emphasis). If they are sticking their noses into your business then they have no right to turn up their noses at your routines. The nerve of some...shouldn't have asked in the first place.

My hair's not particularly long but it is quite thick and on the rare occasion that I get asked about what I do to my hair I try to be as vague as possible unless I really know the person. For example I'll say something like "I don't use heat on my hair", or" I keep it moisturized and off my shoulders." That's it. If they seem genuinely interested I write it down for them and leave quickly.

C.H.
June 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Oddly, I can't think of anyone ever asking me how I take care of my hair or what products I use. On those occasions when my hair has been noticed...I guess they assume it's just genetic? Or my hair is so different than theirs that they're not interested in how I treat it because they don't think it would apply to them? Who knows.

bahoban
June 25th, 2011, 12:00 AM

that's nice!,,, the other day my sister ask me about my hair and I answer: "I don't use shampoo" she look me like if I was the most dirty person on planet :( she made me feel ashamed :(,,, In that moment I was thinking in my head,,, (ohhh what a dumb,,, I should have lied to her :(),,, but you are very clever,, I would use your tips instead, thank you

whitestiletto
June 25th, 2011, 12:44 AM
:cheese: I hope that, if ever someone does ask me, I remember to tell them "I wash my hair with nacho cheese" :cheese:

AnnaJamila
June 25th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I've never had anyone be disgusted, but when I told DH what I did he just chuckled to himself, kissed my forehead and told me I was silly! :p

Haha, one day we should just say:

"Nope, you asked, now you have to follow this routine for the rest of your life!" :magic:

EbonyCurls
June 25th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Usually if someone asks me what I do to my hair I just name the products I use. I've rarely had anyone ask what my routine is so I don't normally share that.

It seems though that most of my friends and co-workers are more into the natural hair and skin care ways anyway so I don't think that they would have issues with my routine.

Siiri
June 25th, 2011, 05:46 AM
No-one has ever asked what my routine is, but I have talked about it with my family members and some of my friends, and they have never seem to be disgusted. I explain how CO works and don't simply say that I don't use shampoo. I think many people here feel that natural products can work just as well or be even better than regular commercial hair products, so using oils etc. isn't weird.

cheetahfast
June 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hmm maybe the people I've told are more accepting of the unconvential hair things I do since they know I'm a bit unconvential. One of my friends and a co worker of mine said that they can't wash their hair everyday either. Another different co workers asked what I was using to style my hair and I told her I've just been spraying rooibos tea on when it's wet, she said that it's working really well and that I should keep using it. Last night at work a girl with classic length healthy hair came in and my co worker told me to go look for her, since she knew I'd admire it.

The only person that said something not so nice was my friend who was shopping with me once when I bought some oils. She said that it was a gross thing to do/put in my hair. She uses moroccan oil products so I didn't understand her disgust.

honeyblonde
June 25th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Yesss, I love my pantene!!!! :p

timotej
June 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
cocoa powder (dry shampoo)

OT sorry, but I'm intrigued by this. Dry shampoos always make my hair greyish since I have brown hair - it would make sense to have a brown dry shampoo! Does it work well?

timotej
June 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
(it was mentioned somewhere in the beginning of this thread, I think.)

pepperminttea
June 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
cocoa powder (dry shampoo)

OT sorry, but I'm intrigued by this. Dry shampoos always make my hair greyish since I have brown hair - it would make sense to have a brown dry shampoo! Does it work well?

I find it works well for my hair, and I quite like the scent too. :D There's a thread on it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29787).

Madora
June 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
My mother used to be vexed with the time I spent in the bathroom, experimenting with braids. She said she wished I'd spend the same amount of time on the rest of my body as I did on my hair. I might have..if I had any modicum of beauty. I didn't, so all my care went into my hair care regime.

@ Anje...truer words were never written! It's HOW you phrase your hair care regime that provokes - or doesn't - unpleasant reactions in the uninitiated!

And let me say, I was one of the "unintiated" until a short time ago when member JOJO introduced me to the wonders of the EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) treatment! YAAYYYY :cheese:

renarok
June 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Instead of saying CO, which so many people cannot understand, I say I use Wen, but the generic form. (VO5 conditioner)

krissykins
June 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My friends were severely grossed out when I told them I had starting washing my hair with conditioner. I haven't told anyone since then.

Laurenji
June 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
My hairdresser was actually really supportive when I told her that I put coconut oil in my hair. I told her how cheap it was, and she was amazed, because she only knew about Moroccan oils, which are like $40 an ounce or something ridiculous like that.

We're living with my in-laws right now and my FIL seemed very skeptical when I told him that my distilled water was for mixing with honey and putting it in my hair to make it softer... (didn't mention I was trying to lighten my hair with it, LOL).

Alaia
June 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM
The only people who really know what I do are my very close family. Not even my friends know what I do (they don't ask, I would tell them).

To those who have asked... it's about a 70-30 split of people who are horrified and people who aren't. The 30% often seem genuinely curious though and say they will try a few things too.

I also converted my Dad to WO which has cured his dandruff ;)

Constellation
June 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM
When I started the BS and ACV experiment two months ago I facebooked about it. Just wrote a note for anyone interested and I updated my status as well. And no one commented or anything so I figured no one saw it.
I purposely didn't mention it to anyone at work to see if they would notice. But one guy at work saw my status on facebook and started asking me about it in front of other co-workers. I was uncomfortable at first but they didn't seem to care. It was no big deal. But it was for that one guy. I think that he wanted me to feel embarrassed but it didn't really happen. He thought that it would smell but it doesn't. And one girl actually smelled my hair and she was surprised that it smelled like nothing. So that was king of cool.
If the subject gets brought up I will talk about it. But it's all in how you say it! That's for certain.

Heatherzilla
June 26th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Haha, I don't think I have ever been asked. I mostly hang out with short haired guys who really couldn't care about hair. They call me a hippie for using henna but they tend to call me a hippie anyway.

My family are used to me running around the house with weird stuff gooped on my head. None of them seem to find it weird. Alternative beauty methods seem to be going through a period of popularity out here so it's not a big deal. My sister was running around the house today with chamomile tea on her head so I'm not the only one.

CareBear
June 26th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I have shared out coconut oil with a few gals at work, but try not to go into too much detail about my daily routine.
Yesterday, I was in the shower and I'd forgotten the tea rinse I'd done up the night before in the kitchen. So I called dh in and asked him to bring me the mug of tea. When he handed it to me, he sighed and kind of under his breath said "you sure put a lot of stuff on your hair." It never occured to him that I might be drinking last nights tea in the shower lol which is good!

ktani
June 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM
When someone asked if I colour my hair (they knew my age and no grey is showing), and I told them about catnip, they said they thought I was a "hippie", which to me is a compliment, lol.

Not everyone needs to wash their hair more frequently than twice a week or even twice a week. There is nothing unhygenic implied about using oil on your hair. While it technically is not an oil, (it is a fluid) people use silicone serum on their hair without thinking anything is wrong with that (and there isn't).

The person you spoke to is simply ignorant about certain facts. I would not let it bother you or prevent you from answering questions about your obviously lovely hair in the future, in a way that you are comfortable with doing.

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
A girl I go to school with was complimenting my hair yesterday, and she asked me what products I used to make it soft and shiny. When I told her that I don't brush it, only wash it about twice a week and that I put oil in it, she gave me this horrified look (...)

For me, washing (with shampoo) twice a week is frequent shampooing. Even when I did use shampoo (looong time...) I shampooed like every 9-10 days LOL.

Doesn't matter what others say. But to be safe, I have learned to lie. I don't talk about these things. "I use Pantene shampoo every second day." LOL

AspenSong
June 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Anymore, I just don't say anything to anyone about what I do because I do get the oddball looks when I tell them I put oil in my hair, or that I rarely "wash" it. *shrug* The best is the creepy looks you get when you buy 4 tubes of Miconazole Nitrate lol...They think you've DEF got a problem, but I've gotten some truly grossed out looks when I say it's for my hair and explain. You'd think they thought I was scraping it off the place the cream is intended for and THEN applying it to my scalp!!! :rolleyes:

Tomoyo
June 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think a lot of people have come to associate the word "oil" with "greasy", so they imagine that putting oil in hair is as nasty as deciding you're never going to clean it again.

DarleneH
June 26th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I don't believe in showers everyday unless you do blue collar work and need it. I tell people that bathe everyday and sit around in AC they are just bad for the environment wasting all that water!

I hear ya. I am just not telling people things I do like this. I'm doing it for personal health, to be more environmentally conscientious, and to save money. My spending on hair and skin care has plummeted, Bath & Body Works is no longer getting rich off me, and my hair and skin look, feel, and smell perfectly fine.

A friend and I were talking about a month ago about cutting back on shampooing, and she was all for it. I told her yesterday that I'd just gone a week without shampooing and she got a disgusteded look on her face and blurted out "WHY???". This from someone who was all for it a month ago. And I know better than to say anything like this to the hoity-toity people I work with!

lacrymosa777
June 27th, 2011, 03:28 AM
no.....not really....plus i don't really tell people

Eolan
June 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM
On rare occations, it has happened. It's the "OMG you don't wash your hair every day how gross you must have such greasy hair!"-thing. Yes, I have greasy hair. The day before washday, and on washday. In between, no. :) Other than that, people are very, very uninterrested in my hair care.

Although my BF did not miss the opportunity to take a picture of me in the tub, full of cassia gloop last time that happened. :p

LunaMoon
June 27th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I think most of people that I tell about my routine do. The only hair allies I have is my DH and LHC.
My sister and friends just don't understand about al these oils mixing and such. They always ask why I don't just buy some good pantene and use.
Now I am not telling people that I started CO-washing, already tried and the result was really not good LOL. People look at me like I am a kind of freak with obsession about "comercial cosmetic conspiracy":rolleyes:.

Jules2910
June 27th, 2011, 05:53 AM
My daughter and I are both members here! I save all chat about hair care for her! She understands! I'm very lucky I know!

Aredhel77
June 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I suffer religious persecution for how I treat my hair. No, seriously - I live with my dad, we are both Christian in our beliefs but he has some very odd and quite unique ideas that sometimes only seem to me to have skeletal - if any - biblical backup. So apparently: I wash my hair too much, enjoy baths too much, spend too much money and time on hair treatments and 'pander to my flesh,' which he - and therefore, God, hates apparently.

It means according to my dad's logic, that God is going to come down hard on me. My chronic fatigue is also a result of all this pampering, according to my dad.

The irony is I've always done all these things without giving them a thought, they were just a normal part of my washing routine. None of this was an issue to me at all until my dad made it an issue.

The other big irony is that I am 34 years of age (hence I know my own mind and am responsible for my own spirituality) AND my dad is living in MY flat. LOL. I am trying to arrange to relocate - and I have told him he can move with me initially when it happens, and then he has to go :cool:

My poor dad. I love him, but gosh, he's controlling (or would be if I let him). I guess if I listened to him I'd be sitting with him in a corner dressed in sackcloth and ashes with dirty matted hair and waiting for the world to end shudder: :lol:

Strange, eh

Faolan
June 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I got lucky with college roommates last year and ended up with someone who didn't care that I only washed my hair maybe twice a week, hennaed and occasionally put oil in my hair:cheese:. Our suitemate however had some issues with it. She was disgusted when she saw me putting oil on my hair (this coming from someone who washes their face with rubbing alcohol and thinks my cat will keel over and die if I feed it raw meat) and said that it was really bad for it. My best friend from home also has issues with my haircare routine and thinks that my hair grows slowly because it is long/I don't cut it often enough. I don't understand that logic because my hair isn't alive to know whether or not I've been cutting it.:crazyq:

I've also had issues with hair stylists over the henna because it is apparently one of the most horrible damaging things I could ever do to my hair and I should use chemical dyes instead. Because I could totally get this awesome long lasting shade of red out of a bottle.

My mom is supportive until whatever I put on my head clogs the drain in the shower, but that's understandable.

archel
June 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I think I'm really quite lucky that I live in a freaky little alternative community. Many of my friends don't wash their hair at all, just water only. I think the only problem they would have with me conditioner washing with Suave is that it's not all natural and contains chemicals. Other than that, they are not going to think twice about me using oil on my hair and face (I use argan oil for both, or a moisturizer with mineral oil for my face, which it LOVES). I think they do think it's a little strange that I am so into makeup though...I just tell them it sorta got drilled into me when I worked for MAC and then they sort of understand my obsession a little better.

luxepiggy
June 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
CO-washing truly seems to horrify a lot of people (^(oo)^)v

battles
June 28th, 2011, 12:30 PM

I find that a little strange, for some reason. Even when I first joined here and had never heard of it, I didn't think it was all that weird. :shrug: I thought putting Monistat on your head was pretty strange, though. I still do. :gabigrin:

Nae
June 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM

*cues the slasher music*

Nooooo!! Conditioner!!! The horror, the unmitigated horror!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Whatever shall we do?!? They wash their hair with conditioner, the most evil and vile of substances!!!!
:run:

Had to get that slight overreation off my chest hehehe. ;)

Unofficial_Rose
June 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
*cues the slasher music*

Nooooo!! Conditioner!!! The horror, the unmitigated horror!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Whatever shall we do?!? They wash their hair with conditioner, the most evil and vile of substances!!!!
:run:

Had to get that slight overreation off my chest hehehe. ;)

My dad was an early pioneer of CO washing. About 30 years ago, when I lived with my parents, Dad emerged from bathroom saying "This shampoo has made my hair all soft". Er, yeah pops, that's conditioner. :rolleyes:

Actually his generation pretty much washed their hair once a week. I think it was only 20 years ago (in UK at least) that daily washing became common, when "mild enough for daily use" shampoos came on the market.

I'm too lazy to wash my hair every day. I've also just given a pal some leave-in that is equal parts coconut oil, shea butter and aloe vera when she complained of dry hair . Someone off here (Kimo) invented it. Obviously one only uses a teensy bit. She hasn't told me whether she's happy with it, though, but at least the concept didn't disgust her.

My son is the longhair in the family. He washes his hair once a week too.

Leoslaire
June 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I get looks of absolute horror when I tell people that I rinse with ionized acidic water. People just don't seem to get it, hair has an acidic pH (3 - 3.5) and positively-charged hydrogen ions are GOOD for it! My hair comes out soft and shiny, I just have to get the ends to cooperate...

faithsdaisy421
June 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I say, "I do weird hippy stuff" and people usually go, "ohh okay..." and start up talking about themselves again.
I love this :)

Chetanlaiho
June 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I stopped trying to enlighten people about CO and I no longer mention I only wash my hair once a week (even though I've done that my entire life). It's just not worth trying to explain to them that my hair will not get as greasy as theirs does within two days becáuse I don't wash it more often =/

hyettf16
June 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe we should start with a disclaimer.
Warning: what you are about to hear may disturb you if you follow a common, standard haircare routine. Listener discretion is advised.

gthlvrmx
June 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe we should start with a disclaimer.
Warning: what you are about to hear may disturb you if you follow a common, standard haircare routine. Listener discretion is advised.
Love this. :)
Honestly, i keep my mouth shut and let it be a secret to the world unless they ask or i am blabbing to my friends about hair. The one's who understand my love for hair usually help me point out beautiful long hair :)

In the end i'll be reaping in the beauty, they'll be off with fried ends! My "secret" hair growing "potions" are for me only unless you're nice.
:stirpot:

lorelai2012
June 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yep. A colleague was horrified when I said I only wash my hair once or twice a week. "But... doesn't it get greasy and smell?" I asked them if they'd ever noticed my hair smelling or being greasy. "well no..." point taken. This person has APL hair that is straightened everyday, has bleached highlights and appears to be 90% splits below the chin.

Also: "How did your hair get so long and shiny?" "I stopped straightening and dyeing it, I plait it before bed, I wash it as little as I can, I use heavy conditioners, I cut off the splits individually with hair dressing scissors". "Er but that's mad I have to straighten my hair its naturally wavy and I need highlights or I look really mousy and I hate using thick conditioners and I have to wash my hair everyday, so how would that work then?" I replied... "Long hair might not be for you then sweetie... stick to shoulder length.."

Anyways they don't freak out about my hair nearly as much as "whaddayamean you don't wash your face everyday????!" Usually right after they've complemented my complexion...

MikeGP
June 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
All the freakin' time. I have to use T-gel for my scalp so I only wash my hair once or twice a week otherwise I get extremely itchy and flaky because it gets dried out(no matter what I use.) Fortunately(or unfortunately) for me my hair doesn't get all oily and smelly til about the 1 week mark.

GhostLocks
June 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
A girl I go to school with was complimenting my hair yesterday, and she asked me what products I used to make it soft and shiny. When I told her that I don't brush it, only wash it about twice a week and that I put oil in it, she gave me this horrified look and said she can't believe I don't wash more often and that putting oil in one's hair is disgusting.
What I find ridiculous is that she was complimenting my hair until I told her what I did to make it that way, and then it was like my hair was gross. My hair didn't change in the few seconds it took for me to divulge my routine. Now I've decided to lie when asked about my hair.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

She think your hair care routine is gross when she probably straightens, curls, and/or puts chemicals in her hair everyday:rant:?! Do I need to show her the hair damage pics?!

GhostLocks
June 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yes, I told one of my friends how I started CO-washing my hair and how the results were amazing and she just looked at me and said, "Conditioner is supposed to condition your hair, not clean it."

gthlvrmx
June 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, I told one of my friends how I started CO-washing my hair and how the results were amazing and she just looked at me and said, "Conditioner is supposed to condition your hair, not clean it."
I just want to laugh so hard at some of these peoples comments, my friend said that to me too. He thought conditioner just could not clean, shampoo cleans.

mrs_coffee
June 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I've had people make disgusted faces when I say I wash 2-3 times a week. Some of them made the leap in logic that not washing my hair = not showering, so I had to explain that I shower regularly, and even wet my hair, I just don't put shampoo on my scalp every day.

I often wonder how many of those horrified people are shelling out $30 a bottle for WEN.

boomygrrl
June 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I won't lie...I've read some routines on here and my initial reaction was "ewww" but I got over it. I'm a laid back person who doesn't care, as it isn't hurting anybody. I never thought cowashing was gross or even infrequent washing...I even tried cowashing with mixed results. Who cares what I think...do what works for you.

Jezerellica
June 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yes! People seem to have tunnel vision to match what they see on tv or read in magazines. I have learned to just smile and say I have special secrets and "If I shared them with you, I would have to kill you". Girls are so shocked by that, it ends it right there with laughter. They don't realy want to know anyway. If they do, they will keep after you and then you can make a lunch date with them or something. LOL!!

SilvraShadows
June 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Just hubby... he gets disgusted with all my bottle of products hidden in my cubby and in the shower, I love to rotate a few, and my hairtoy collection taking up the spaces.

KatiSasha
June 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I found that it was more difficult to justify my hair routine before the results started to show. Now that my roots are about 6 inches, twice as thick as my ends and super shiny all the time - I never get questioned. I'm a walking "before and after" example :D

prettykitty
June 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Usually when finding out my routine people ask to pat my hair :D

greygardens
June 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
No, but I have curly hair and people seem to assume I'd be up to something nefarious anyway.

Lianna
June 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I probably make some people cringe here when I say I wash everyday with sulfates. :p

gogirlanime
June 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM
My sister thinks I'm crazy the way I experiment and my interests, so this includes my hair routine. She thinks everything I do is dumb even when many others are doing it :(

Asahinasan
June 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
YES!!! even my husband will look at me cross eyed when I refuse to even wet my hair in the shower... I only wash every other to every three days if I can stretch it (in the summer here in texas its really hard to stretch that long...) if I even use just water, I end up really greasy and nasty for a few days... same thing with CO... so I only get my hair wet every two to three days... and my hubby will ask me why I wont just wash my hair... he says it always smells good (unless I've just come back from a run) but he can't understand not washing every day...

then again hes gotten used to my not using any soaps on my body, so maybe its just a matter of time until he gets used to this.

SearMeCarefully
June 29th, 2011, 11:49 PM
When I tell me people I rarely shampoo people tend to be horrified lol - but it's funny after awhile I get a lot of questions & tips about hair care eventually

hyettf16
June 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Actually girls around here understand not washing and using uncommon things in your hair. My two best friends are black as are almost, probably the majority of kids in my school.

Vanilla Mint
July 1st, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm always a little self-conscious when explaining my hair routine with new people for exactly these reasons! I'm pretty good at brushing off the rudeness, though, and calmly explaining how "wrong" the general idea of hair care is. Hair isn't something that needs to be stripped like the grease off of a frying pan.

frizzinator
July 1st, 2011, 03:36 AM
Usually I just say "Don't get me started on that subject!".

I wear my hair up everyday. If someone will not stop trying to draw me into a haircare discussion, I take the fork or stick out of my hair and let my hair fall down, then they drop their mouth and widen their eyes and focus their attention on the length of my hair. It is something they are not expecting, so it tends to make them forget their questions.

lesbia
July 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
I never mention my routin, even if someone ask to me.. Not many people understand the long-natural-hair-philosophy. That's not important, in the end we have amazing hair and they do not! :)

rach
July 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Washing hair only 1/2 times a week often give a look of disgust . Using CO most the time also baffles people and they say that "CO can't clean your hair" and i just can't be bother to explain the rest of the point as it generally falls on deaf ears.

Easier keeping to self and if asked i'll happily offer ideas.

Dani
July 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
I say, "I do weird hippie stuff" and people usually go, "ohh okay..." and start up talking about themselves again.

Ha! Me, too. I've had pretty much the same conversation a couple times; when my hair was longer 5 years ago or so, and once recently.

Your hair is getting so long, Ooomphator! :D (I say your name in my head the way you described how it's said that one time, in some thread around here or something.) :pumpkin:

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Yeeeup, when I tell people I don't wash it everyday they get weirded out. Hey, at least I'm the one with the nice long hair :)

ArienEllariel
July 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hair isn't something that needs to be stripped like the grease off of a frying pan.

Ditto on that.

Becky9679
July 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
I don't tend to discuss haircare with others, though I did mention the other day in a car full of friends that I condition only, use ACV and coconut oil. The CO reaction wasn't too bad, just kind of 'oh, that's different' but the ACV got 'doesn't that stink?' and the coconut oil 'doesn't that make your hair really greasy? How do you get it out if you don't shampoo?'. It wasn't a disgusted reaction, just kind of surprised/curious. I ventured on a little explanation of the reasons why I do this but I don't think they really got it.

Doesn't bother me at all if people are surprised or even disgusted by what I do with my hair though, I can't for the life of me understand why some people spend hours with straightening irons every day (all the females that were in that car own a set) but if they want to do that it's up to them.

longcurlygirl<3
July 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yes, but hey it is my hair and no one takes care of it good like I do! Plus, I tell them, beauty takes a sacrafice ;) soo if my hair is this beautiful for my hair routine then I really do not care what others think. I just say what products I do, but only one person really freaked about my routine, everyone thought it was cool :)

AngryVikingGirl
July 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
When I learnt that it's good to wash my hair with an egg, I got really enthusiastic, tried it and told some of my friends about it. They didn't really say anything except my vegetarian-natural lifestyle-addict friend, who said 'It sounds disguisting to me.' Haha, maybe the others had the same opinion just kept it to themselves. But I don't care, it works nicely.

Rosetta
July 4th, 2011, 02:51 AM
A lot of people out there think the only acceptable hair type is sleek and straight. I know my mom has always wished she had straight, sleek hair (which I do have). My mom is a baby boomer and grew up during the time that ironing hair with a clothing iron was the norm.
It's funny because I have the almost completely opposite experience from my mum (who was born in late 40's, if that's what "baby boomer" means?). For her (and all of my female relatives her age or older), the only acceptable hair style is curls. Of course this is about hair style and not hair type as such, but my mum did wish I was born with naturally curly/wavy hair... As a child I was subjected to various curlers, curling irons, even permanent wave treatments, because to her, hair just doesn't look "nice" if it's not curled in some way... These days I wear my hair naturally straight & long, and I'm sure she thinks I don't care very much about my looks (which couldn't be further from the truth), even though she's kind of given up on me and doesn't say it aloud anymore :rolleyes:

I don't really remember anyone ever being disgusted with my hair routine, even though some have laughed when I've told I've washed my hair with eggs once or twice ;)
One thing people do wonder though is if I tell I cut my hair myself, they ask "how do you do that, how's that possible" etc...
I just reply "with scissors" :)

Suffocate? Hair isn't alive (although you do wonder sometimes). I blame inane ads for all the bull feces you hear about hair and skin care.
I blame inane ads for most bull feces & misconceptions going around in this world (among other things)... Seriously.