PDA

View Full Version : questions on accessories

TwilightBloom
June 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Ok so my hair is bsl, and now my silky covered ponytails, just don't want to hold it now. My question is, what do you suggest, im thinking fork, or ficcare. I have a hard time with hair sticks, getting them to stay, so what would be the best for me, and I am starting to get headaches with the ponytail, because it is just heavy and hanging there, i kinda make a bun and wrap it around and it doesn't want to hold anymore. Please any suggestions would help me greatly. Thanks ahead of time..

Anje
June 24th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I'd suggest starting with a fork, since it's less expensive than a Ficcare and will probably weigh less. As with sticks, though, you may have to fiddle with it to find the best way to get it to hold. Lazy wrap buns and their twisted cousins, nautilus buns, are a good place to start and secure relatively easily.

Tressie
June 24th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Twisting a bit tighter as you make a bun, will usually help with staying power. When you insert a hairstick make sure you insert it in the opposite direction you want to end up, and then as you turn it...scoop up some scalp hair as you reinsert the tip and go through the updo again. You can do this and then gently ease a hair, here or there, with your fingers if you feel it pulling. I hope this makes sense! :blossom:

Madora
June 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
@TwillightBloom...

I only use crimped hairpins for my updos..but do have a suggestion about your bun problem.

Instead of putting all your hair in one bun, divide the ponytail in two sections.

Coil one section, form it into a circle, and pin it with hairpins in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west). Weave the hairpins in thru the bun and try and grab a slight bit of your scalp hair in the hairpin before inserting it into the bun.

Take the remaining section, coil it, then wrap that coil around the bun you have already pinned in place and pin it as described above.

Your hair is now sectioned comfortably and its weight more evenly distributed. You can also do the same style with 2 braids, or rope braids. Or entwine the sections then form into a bun.

You might also try doing a Chinese braided bun.

homeeduk8tor
June 26th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I agree with Madora about separating the hair to evenly distribute the weight of the hair. I make 2 buns, on on top of the other and I use Goody Spin Pins to secure each bun. I only use one pin per bun and it holds very securely.