PDA

View Full Version : cones and oils

Slinks
June 23rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
in a thread, for the life of me I can't remember which one, I read something and then went on doing my usual reading of other threads and stuff, when it dawned on me what a poster in a particular thread said, it was a light bulb moment .. so have I got this right, if you want your hair to soak in the oils you don't use cones until after ?? (if you are a cone user, which I am) oil on top of cones = oily hair ??

something like, cones keep in the moisture and seal off the hair shaft, so no moisture can enter, so therefore will sit on top of the coney product .. but if the hair is clarified and free of cones the hair will suck up the oils and moisture ..

gthlvrmx
June 24th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I think that's pretty true. And only some oils can penetrate like EVOO and coconut oil. Cones sit on top and seal, it's basically synthetic oil. Oils can be used as sealants as well though. I think grapeseed oil is one of those that just sit on top.
So if there is cone still on top, you have to clarify it because some are not soluble in water(or most?) in order to get more moisture in. Oils do not moisturize, the only thing that moisturizes is well water :) Oils just help a lot like with protein retention, moisture retention so that it stays in your hair and not out into the air. And a nice conditioner usually does the trick to get it out of your hair unlike some cones. I think that's all correct?
Cone+oil=super greasy hair. But the detangling is easy :)

luxepiggy
June 24th, 2011, 12:15 AM
It's essential to keep in mind that oil does not moisturize. This is a common misconception that I've noticed a lot of people seem to hold. It's quite simple once you recall that oil and water don't mix!

Instead, both oils and silicones act primarily as moisture barriers. This can be helpful in one of two ways: first, by helping to retain moisture already in the hair shaft (in order to prevent the hair from drying out); and second, by minimizing the uptake of excess moisture from the surrounding environment (in order to reduce frizz).

Applying oil (or silicones) to hair that is already lacking in moisture can exacerbate the problem by sealing water out of the hair shaft. So if hair is dry, it's probably best to do a deep moisturizing treatment, then follow up with the oil or silicone of choice, to help retain the replenished moisture in the hair shaft.

Even oils like coconut, that can partially penetrate the hair shaft, are not actually carrying moisture into the hair. In fact, the reason coconut oil benefits hair health is because it reduces the amount of water the hairs absorb when they are wetted, thus decreasing the stresses caused by water-induced swelling to the cortex & cuticular structures.

Slinks
June 24th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I think that's pretty true. And only some oils can penetrate like EVOO and coconut oil. Cones sit on top and seal, it's basically synthetic oil. Oils can be used as sealants as well though. I think grapeseed oil is one of those that just sit on top.
So if there is cone still on top, you have to clarify it because some are not soluble in water(or most?) in order to get more moisture in. Oils do not moisturize, the only thing that moisturizes is well water :) Oils just help a lot like with protein retention, moisture retention so that it stays in your hair and not out into the air. And a nice conditioner usually does the trick to get it out of your hair unlike some cones. I think that's all correct?
Cone+oil=super greasy hair. But the detangling is easy :)

yeah, super easy detangling .. thanks for clarifying that .. hmmm, now to put it into action !! just think all that coconut oiling I've been doing :brickwall :justy:

Slinks
June 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
thank you Luxepiggy .. I'm glad I started this thread up .. I'm really learning something here, more like what I have learnt since joining LHC is now sinking in .. :-)