PDA

View Full Version : Update: CG for 3 weeks (pics)

OleanderTime
June 23rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I know I recently posted, but I wanted to share an update with how the Curly Girl (CG) method has been working for me. I'm really liking it. Check out my pics, what do you think? I'm still at that stage where I'm trying to accept that wavy hair is a real texture unto itself and not just messy straight hair.

BEFORE:
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/before.jpg

AFTER (3 days):
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/after-3days.jpg

AFTER (2 weeks):
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/after-2weeks.jpg

AFTER (2 weeks):
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/Photoon2011-06-23at16252.jpg

ericthegreat
June 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
The results speak for themselves. The CG method works wonders for your waves! They are much more defined, and I like the wet look on you. Great job! :joy:

Vani1902
June 23rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
Your waves are so beautiful. :)

UltraBella
June 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Your hair makes me want to try this !!

rebekah
June 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Beautiful!!

xoxophelia
June 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
What exactly did you do? I think I will try it also.

BrunetteBeauty
June 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
I want to try this to! amazing change!

Maelyssa
June 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Absolutely amazing! I LOVE IT!!!!

Please share details! Pretty please... :D

Safira
June 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Beautiful waves/curls. Do you use any styling products?

ifthemoonsmiled
June 23rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
I agree that I want details...those waves are beautiful!

Rocket22
June 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Wow amazing I want to know too what you are doing.

Mesmerise
June 23rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'd love to know more about the method too! Your before shots look at least as wavy as mine is now...and yet WOW you've got some real wave/curl definition out of them!

Slinks
June 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
all of the above ... beautiful :-)

LoversLullaby
June 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Beautiful curls!! I'm glad you found a hair care routine that works for you! :)

Flossy
June 24th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Wow! Your hair looks awesome! You would hardly be able to tell it's on the same head. I would love to know what products you are using. I am thinking about doing the CG method myself, although it might be better to wait until there is some more moisture in the air around here.

pink.sara
June 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Those aren't waves anymore surely?! I see curls!!! And they are really pretty :)

bunzfan
June 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I got the book which you can get off Amazon if anyone is interested there is also a website to.

ashke50
June 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Those waves are beautiful! The CG method is clearly working wonders for you. Wow :-)

lacrymosa777
June 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
so much better!

Fufu
June 24th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Very very beautiful waves... love your hair

alwayssmiling
June 24th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Amazing difference!. I did curly girl for a while and got good curl definition, I have recently gone back to cones (using up my stash) and its definitely straighter than it was, not curly nor straight. I need to get back on the CG method.

Alaia
June 24th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Those aren't waves any more! They are bona fide curls.

Such a difference! :D

miss_purple
June 24th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I love the after 3 days pictures! :)

kettle
June 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I agree, what on earth did you do to achieve that?! Your pictures from a few weeks ago made me look into the CG method, I'd never even thought about it before, since I'm not curly. Essentially it seems to be CO and then leaving it well alone. But I'm hoping there's more to it, since that's what I do already!

Amazing results.

Curly Hermione
June 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I've been CG for about a year now, (although I have had moments of weakness and gone back to shampoo once or twice) and it works really well for me. The damage you inflict on your hair is dramatically lessened because there's no brushing, no straightening, no blow drying, no sulfates etc. One thing to bear in mind though, if you're just using conditioner to cleanse with, you MAY need to use a cleanser once a week or so, just to ensure you don't have any build up. I recommend DevaCurl No-Poo, the whole line is supposed to be good (It was created by the creator of the method and author of the book "Curly Girl", Lorrainne Massey), i'm saving up to get the condish and gel, but that's the cleanser I use at the moment.
If anyone is interested i suggest you read the book, and the two websites, naturallycurly.com and britishcurlies.co.uk have great advice, they led me here!

OleanderTime
June 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it! :o

what on earth did you do to achieve that?!

I've been using the JessiCurl line. It's all super CG-friendly, no sulfate, no cones, etc. I wash daily with the cleansing cream to remove the previous day's product. Then I condition with the daily conditioner. I use her two leave-in products, one is for enhancing curl definition and one is a gel to hold it. After I shower, I don't comb my hair and I remove excess water with a microfiber towel. Then I rake the product through my hair and scrunch. Yesterday, I tried diffusing with a hair dryer too but it didn't really make a difference. I'm really liking the results and I love how it's based on all-natural and super healthy products and techniques.

I also find a lot of information over at NaturallyCurly (the Curl Talk boards). I'm a 2, so you can find me over there. And yes, I've read Lorraine Massey's book -- but only because I bought if for my girlfriend, who is a 3b or so. Never thought my hair could be this curly. I hope it keeps getting better and better. I'll worry about what to do in the cold Michigan winters later...

Thanks again!

October
June 24th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Wow, your curls are beautiful! My natural unstraightened hair (I rarely ever straighten it anymore) looks like your before pictures. That is amazing.

Oksana
June 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
What a difference! Amazing what simple changes can make. Your should be proud your hair look gorgeous :D

Avital88
June 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
oh wow, now i really want to try it again..! your curls are beautiful defined!

jel
June 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Wow, what a difference! Your hair looks really curly now! :D

My hair is similar to your "before" pictures, I wonder if the CG method would work for me too? The main reason I never tried it before is having to use styling products. I'm a wash'n'go person, and a couple of times I used gel (from LUSH) I ended up with dry, tangled length.

I better go read some more about the method!

PinkyCat
June 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM
YAY fellow CG'er!! High five! Your hair looks GREAT!

I've been CG since last August and I can honestly say it just gets better and better!

vanillabones
June 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Wow what a different, I wish I could go from straight to wavy/curly!!

Xandergrammy
June 24th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm with UltraBella on this one- looking at your hair makes me want to give CG a try. Your hair looks fantastic!

HairFaerie
June 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
That is really incredible! I have waves too, the longer my hair gets. Especially when it gets to about shoulder, they start to come out and they turn into "flippy things" and really look horrible to me. May be I will try this method! Thanks for sharing!

einna
June 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ooooh, I want those waves/curls! I am already "CG inspired" as I CO, dont use cones, dont brush, use a lot of leave in and sometimes plop. But this makes me want to go further in the regime (yes, I have the book, as I am a wannabe 2b (really only in the underlayer)).

Good luck with your hair project :)

carmenvanessa
June 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
The naturally curly website is so interesting! I have noticed that since I stopped using sulfates and cones that my waves are curls most of the time now. The drying and styling methods I will have to experiment with and see which ones I like. Thanks for the tip:)

skyblue
June 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have wavy frizzy hair I wonder if I should look into this more,
when my hair grew in it started straight then got really curly til about
bsl then started to get straighter, also I have wave but once I comb/brush
its gets very straight again humm I might just pick up the book next time
I'm at the book store
Your hair looks lovely!!
Thanks for sharing your results

allmixedup88
June 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
omgosh my jaw dropped your hair looks gorgeous

Alex Lou
June 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
You have inspired me. I'm gonna give CG a real (no cheating) try for at least 2 wks. Anyone have any leave-in or styling product suggestions?

Keepitgrowing29
June 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Wow, wonderful results!

scorpio_rising
June 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Oh my guh, your hair is beauty!

lesbia
June 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Your curls are a dream, I have always wanted this type of hair! and great difference!!

LunaMoon
June 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
OMG!
Your hair looks great! Sooo much better!
I am going to try it as well, starting today. My hair is a kind of wavy/messy with some curls when it on the right mood... I hope I can get good results as well.
Congratulations and thanks a lot for sharing your progress!:puppykisses:

Curly Hermione
June 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
You have inspired me. I'm gonna give CG a real (no cheating) try for at least 2 wks. Anyone have any leave-in or styling product suggestions?
If you live in the UK, there's a company called Naked that do cone free curl creme and frizz serum that I get good results with, but my hair's curlier than yours so I don't know if they'd work for you.
They also do a gel (it's only available online, google naked bodycare), but I haven't tried this.
Aubrey Organics do a good gel, if you don't mind the smell, (it's kind of weird, but not necessarily bad, like fresh cut grass). I add lots of lavender essential oil and it helps a lot.
The DevaCurl line was created by the woman who wrote the book and invented the method, i've only used no-poo cleanser but the rest (condish, gel, leave in, spray etc) is supposed to be good. (you shouldn't need all the products, don't worry!) You can get them of Amazon. Look up DevaCurl on youtube and they have videos which say which specific products to use on each curl type.
You can always do what i'm planning on, which is to just go to my local health food store and find a cone and alchohol free gel.
Naturally curly is a good site which should give you great suggestions.
I hope I helped a little. Have fun going CG! :smile:

Maelyssa
June 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate it! :o

I've been using the JessiCurl line. It's all super CG-friendly, no sulfate, no cones, etc. I wash daily with the cleansing cream to remove the previous day's product. Then I condition with the daily conditioner. I use her two leave-in products, one is for enhancing curl definition and one is a gel to hold it. After I shower, I don't comb my hair and I remove excess water with a microfiber towel. Then I rake the product through my hair and scrunch. Yesterday, I tried diffusing with a hair dryer too but it didn't really make a difference. I'm really liking the results and I love how it's based on all-natural and super healthy products and techniques.

I also find a lot of information over at NaturallyCurly (the Curl Talk boards). I'm a 2, so you can find me over there. And yes, I've read Lorraine Massey's book -- but only because I bought if for my girlfriend, who is a 3b or so. Never thought my hair could be this curly. I hope it keeps getting better and better. I'll worry about what to do in the cold Michigan winters later...

Thanks again!

Great details...thanks for sharing!

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Beautiful!!! :D

Chiara
June 27th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Your hair looks fantastic those photos are inspiring me to go back to trying to bring out my waves!

Edited to add: I just had a look at the Jessicurls site....step away from the mouse....away from the mouse....

jennydaesy
June 27th, 2011, 04:18 AM
beautiful hair

Jules2910
June 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Definately need to look into this, your hair is so pretty.

Jules2910
June 27th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Wow, what a difference! Your hair looks really curly now! :D

My hair is similar to your "before" pictures, I wonder if the CG method would work for me too? The main reason I never tried it before is having to use styling products. I'm a wash'n'go person, and a couple of times I used gel (from LUSH) I ended up with dry, tangled length.

I better go read some more about the method!

Just had to say WOW at your hair growth! Just spectacular! What a fab advert for this site you are! What is YOUR routine? It obviously works!

jel
June 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Just had to say WOW at your hair growth! Just spectacular! What a fab advert for this site you are! What is YOUR routine? It obviously works!

Wow, thanks, that's very kind of you to say so! :o

The most important part of my routine is patience, here also known as "benign neglect" ;) I was a member of the No-Trimming Club for many years, as I wanted to keep every millimetre of my growth. It worked for me probably thanks to BAQ henna, which kept my hair strong.

Other things that worked for me consistently are CWC, oiling (both pre-wash and leave-in) and S&D.

And all of these things I learned on TLHC :D This site is full of resources and friendly people sharing experiences, giving advice, encouragement and support every step of the way!

Jorchet
June 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Such a lovely change in your waves! CG is amazing!

KatiSasha
June 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I tried the routine, but I didn't like how flat the hair on top was. Did yours do that? If it did, how did you fix it, cause it looks like you have volume in the pics. Thanks!!

emelnd
June 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Huh. Looks great.

What exactly is CG, is it just conditioner washing with no cones, don't brush or even comb when not wet? Mostly air dry?

I use a brush. I know they say not to, but it feels good and my hair is a matted mane otherwise... How do you untangle the mess, do you have to condition every morning?

angela123
June 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
what is this method and where can i find it?!!?

spidermom
June 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I think you can drop the 2B. Your hair looks more 2C/3A to me, and absolutely beautiful.

khan
June 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
what is this method and where can i find it?!!?
I was wondering that too. Wiki has an article.

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

My hair is very straight, maybe this will give me more body. I'm going to give it a go.

xoxophelia
June 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Ahh I am glad Jessicurls in working so well for you also. It has done wonders for a friend's hair after I showed her Naturally Curly and she did some reading. It however made my hair look the worse it ever has :S... Maybe I will give it a try again and see if I was doing something wrong. Your results are wonderful

emelnd
July 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the link!

CurlAhead
July 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
That is just stunning!! :D

tinti
July 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Oh my gosh, your hair looks great!!! I wish my hair would turn out like that!

wvgemini
July 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Wow. That looks amazing! I think I'm going to have to check out that method :)

Molls
July 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
your hair looks great!!