PDA

View Full Version : Is it damaged?

Of the Fae
June 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hey:)

My hair has been in good shape since I henna, but the day before yesterday I washed it out without a conditioner, and the next day my hair was really tangly and it snapped like crazy when I tried brushing it! It felt rough at the ends, and I've noticed the ends being coarse after henna more often, but I figured it was because they kinda get folded/curled when I apply it (massive heapy mess). I can't spot any split ends at all.
I;ve put lots of conditioner in my hair right now so I could detangle it without it snapping off :?
Any tips? The longer tresses have only just passed my shoulders! I'd really hate to trim it, so I really need some advice

Thanks in advance!

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
It doesn't sound damaged to me. You might have had some breakage, but I doubt that will set you back. Just don't skimp on the conditioner next time!

Mirsha
June 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
It could just be residual henna dust, I used to have tangly, rough hair up to a week after hennaing.

Of the Fae
June 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
I use compound henna with sodium picramate.. it's not that? I;ve heard it;s a red pigment so I figured it would do no harm..
But this is good news, that more people have it after henna, because it would be so odd for it to just be so damaged after being in good condition. Although I had bleached in januari, after a few henna treatments it was absolutely fine again (yes, I know, never again bleach)

pepperminttea
June 23rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
When you say you washed it out without conditioner, did you do a shampoo only wash? Because when I don't use conditioner, I end up with a dry tangly mess too. It's not a step I can skip, even with unprocessed hair, I need the moisture and slip it gives.

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I never wash henna out with shampoo just handfuls of cheap conditioner. And always use a conditioner after shampooing. Your hair doesn't sound damaged, maybe a bit dry but a few deep conditioning treatments and your hair will be ok!

spidermom
June 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Henna made my hair seem very dry and brittle. That and the hideous orange color is why I never used it again.

The dry, brittle quality did settle down after the first week or so.

Roscata
June 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
When I henna my hair I use conditioner only to wash it out. So after I rinse out the bulk of henna from my hair I slather on a lot of conditioner, massage it into my scalp, put my hair up for 5 minutes, then rinse it and do it again. My hair is happy after that.

Henna dries your hair out especially if you use something like lemon juice to process the color. Your hair is not damaged. Consider doing a CO (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18) after using henna on your hair. That should prevent the effects you've been seeing. :D

Of the Fae
June 24th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Thank you all :) I will not skip the conditioner next time :)