PDA

View Full Version : If you use a leave-in with cones and want to use oil treatments...

nankipoo
June 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
..do you need to shampoo out the leave-in before oil treatments can effectively penetrate?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

nankipoo

spidermom
June 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
I've been wondering about this myself. I generally alternate. If I've decided to use the coney serum, I won't use oil until after I've washed my hair again. I have used the serum after oil, however, and that worked just fine.

getoffmyskittle
June 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
No. I just don't worry about the whole cones no cones oil penetration blah thing. I use a cone conditioner and I oil regularly. I think it helps anyway. It definitely soaks in. :shrug: But then, my hair will soak up just about anything, so YMMV.

ETA: Anyway, everything is either water-soluble or lipid-soluble (right? :uhh:), and oils are lipids. Since (I THINK) the only water-soluble cone is dimethicone, then you should be good. Or spritz and be good. Either way. :shrug:

HappyKarin
June 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I use live-in with cone and I oil at the same time. And my hair just love it :D
But all hair is different.

Madam Librarian
June 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I use coney conditioners and have been successful with heavy oilings left overnight before the next wash. I haven't noticed any problems.

Cinnamon Hair
June 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I agree with the above posts.. no need to shampoo before. Besides, if it's a heavy oil treatment you'll likely need to shampoo after to get rid of the greasies, so shampooing before would just be too much work.

How I use oils:

At night on dry hair (use just a bit, so no need to shampoo it out)
Heavy oiling the night before a shampoo (the hair receives the benefits of an oil treatment plus the oil protects hair from harsh shampoo cleansers)
Hot oil treatment (wet hair, put on lots of oil, sit under a heat cap for 30 mins, then shampoo & condition)
Leave-in applied to wet hair at the end of a shower (conditions hair & adds shine, just use a tiny amount to avoid looking greasy)
For swimming in salt or chlorinated water (wet hair then use a lot of oil to lock out nasty chemicals...shower after swimming to remove it all)

Riot Crrl
June 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I think the reason I couldn't get anything to soak in when I used cones was probably one of chronic technique problems rather than acute. I just didn't shampoo my hair besides the roots, ever. It might work fine with a week or so of buildup or whatever, but years was not so good.

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. I generally alternate. If I've decided to use the coney serum, I won't use oil until after I've washed my hair again. I have used the serum after oil, however, and that worked just fine.

SM what kind of cone serum do you use? I have been thinking of trying one since I am having so much success with the Dove heavy conditioner. I have used the John Frieda in the past with awful results. Thanks in advance!

nankipoo
June 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Hi,

I'm not spidermom, but Curlsgirl -- I recently tried Kerastase Oleo Relax and it's amazing! Makes your hair feel like satin (mine is very coarse, prone to snags) and washes out very easily. This and Kiehl's Silk Groom Serum are the ones that work on me -- and the Kerastase performs a little better although I have a feeling that the Kiehl's is more moisturising. In the UK they cost is comparable so I go for the Kerastase.
The John Frieda one is a nightmare. It was sticky and heavy and flaked off of my hair.

Hope this helps.

nankipoo

mommy2one05
June 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I'm not spidermom, but Curlsgirl -- I recently tried Kerastase Oleo Relax and it's amazing! Makes your hair feel like satin (mine is very coarse, prone to snags) and washes out very easily. This and Kiehl's Silk Groom Serum are the ones that work on me -- and the Kerastase performs a little better although I have a feeling that the Kiehl's is more moisturising. In the UK they cost is comparable so I go for the Kerastase.
The John Frieda one is a nightmare. It was sticky and heavy and flaked off of my hair.

Hope this helps.

nankipoo

are these serums you mentioned only available at salons or where should I look for them in the U.S.?
I have been using a JOhn Freida serum and I am not impressed.

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have had good results with silk&shine found at wal-mart and I think at Sall's as well.

nankipoo
June 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
mommy2one05 -

Yes, the Kerastase and the Silk Groom should be available in the USA. The latter is much cheaper in the USA than in the UK but the former is slightly better on my hair.
Kiehl's have a website too and so does Kerastase:
http://www.kerastase-usa.com/_en/_us/conso/home/home.aspx
http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx

I think Kerastas is available at some US discounters -- but the Americans on the LHC would probably be more able to advise you on which stores are reliable, I'm in the UK.

Hope this helps.

nankipoo