PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly Dry?

Guenhwyvar
June 23rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
I have been following my new routine, shampoo roots, condition ends and rinse with rooibos tea. I had great results - really really soft hair. Shampoo and Condish are both chemical free, with shea butter, aloe, oils etc.

In the past I tried coconut oil, but my hair felt strange after washing. Also snowymoons was fun, but I had to shampoo my hair after as it went wet-looking, greasy and the hair clumped together.

Yesterday and today my hair has suddenly gone back to being dry and 'crunchy'. Im not sure why, and haven't done any treatments etc and have been tying my hair up. I am trying to wash it less often, so it got rather greasy in between washes (2-3days apart).

Does this happen often to you (the sudden dryness) and what should I attempt? Snowymoons with less aloe and honey and wash after? (would mean two washes less than 24h apart).

Thanks
Guen

doro357
June 23rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Have you been using the same shampoo and conditioner for a long time? Sometimes you need to switch to different ones.

Is the weather dry? Maybe extra moisture.

I tried many things, still don't know what my hair likes.

KatiSasha
June 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
You shouldn't need to shampoo at all after SMT, did you use a cone-free CO? Also sounds like you may have a bit of build up. I'd wait a day or so, than clarify and then do deep moisture treatment if you don't wanna do SMT.

allnaturalboy
June 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Maybe you should clarify and then do a moisture treatment afterward. Dry, crunchy hair is sometimes just build up.

Anje
June 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I find I get 2nd or 3rd day dryness when I use silicones. Granted, my hair reacts rather strangely to them, but there's a subset of people who experience this. Might be worth reading labels and experimenting.

Dry environment + humectants (like the honey in the SMT) is also known to cause dryness, but I don't know if there are dry places in the UK. ;)

Hypnotica
June 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Sudden dryness, stickiness and general weirdness always means that I need to clarify. Seeing that we have similar hair types, I would not be surprised if you need to do that too.

pixiestar
June 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I had the same, a couple of days after a SMT. At first soft fluffy hair, but then a couple of days later dry and hair snapping. I could not understand it. I didn't think it was the honey, as I had been using a lot of avg:( So stopped using it and its been much better, so I guess in my case it was the avg:(

spidermom
June 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I think you probably have buildup. Shampoo from scalp to tips next time. I don't buy a special clarifying shampoo for this. Usually I CWC with diluted shampoo to scalp area only. But when I get that dry, crunchy weirdness (or limp sticky weirdness), I use the shampoo full strength, then follow with conditioner.

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
^^ sounds like build up

PraiseCheeses
June 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
My ends get dry after I haven't washed them for a while. I currently go 5-ish days between washes, use CWC with cone-free, protein-free conditioners and baking soda as the W, white vinegar rinses, and oils as leave-in treatments. I've gotten to the point where my ends get dry before my scalp gets greasy, because it's the water and the conditioners that moisturize - not oils! To revive them I mist them with water with a couple drops of vinegar (for acidity) and then again with my mister bottle (water, AVG, coconut oil, almond oil - humectant to draw moisture, oils to lock it in) and damp bun for the night. When I take my hair down in the morning, my ends are soft again. If you don't want to clarify, you could try something like strategic misting first. :)